Albany woman to donate kidney to sister

Mildred Sherman, left, will receive a kidney from her sister Sharon Adams next week.

ALBANY -- Sharon Adams is no stranger to the organ transplant process.

Until now, however, she has not undergone it herself. On Friday, at Piedmont Hospital in Atlanta, she will give a kidney to her sister.

Her older sister, Mildred Sherman, 46, has been on dialysis since September after going into renal failure. Not long after that, the process began to get her a new kidney.

Adams was not the first who volunteered to do it.

"My dad was going to do it, but we found out he had kidney cancer," Adams said. "We did not find that out until she went into renal failure.

"It's my sister, and I love her."

Adams has had experience with transplants before. Her daughter, who died after going into cardiac arrest at the age of 14 in 2004, underwent a heart transplant in 1999.

"Prayer and faith got me through it," she recalled of that experience.

With the surgery taking place Friday, both sisters will check into the hospital Thursday. Adams is expected to stay in the hospital two or three days, while Sherman will likely stay for seven days.

Once the surgery is over, Sherman is expected to see a full recovery, Adams said.

Having had experience with this kind of thing before, she has learned the hard way the true importance of organ transplants and the impacts they can have.

"I am so close to my sister," she said. "I would to anything for her. In 1999, we were in prayer for my daughter. Now we are in this situation again.

"(Organ transplants are important) so a person can have a normal life. My sister has been in so much pain. I couldn't stand to see her like that."

When asked what her counsel would be to those in a similar situation, Adams advised to "have faith, not fear."

"I would tell them to keep the faith. Have faith in God," she said. "She (Sherman) saved my dad's life. We would not have known he had cancer if she hadn't needed a kidney.

Her experience with the organ transplant process "has changed how I look at life and how I take care of my body," Adams said. "I watch what I eat and try to prevent high blood pressure."

A spokeswoman for the Georgia Transplant Foundation (GTF) said Thursday that, statewide, 12,070 people have been successfully transplanted to date and 3,464 people are currently awaiting transplants.

In September, GTF officials said there were more than 200 transplant recipients and 180 candidates residing in the Albany area. Updated figures were not available as of Friday.

On a national level, there were a total of 113,856 waiting list candidates as of 11 a.m. Friday, statistics from the Organ Procurement and Transplantation Network (OPTN) show. The same site showed that kidneys were the organ in highest demand, with 91,780 on the waiting list at that time.

The OPTN also breaks down statistics by individual transplant center. From Jan. 1, 1988 through Jan. 31, 2012, the five centers listed in Georgia -- including four in the Atlanta area and one in Augusta -- have performed a total of 7,538 kidney transplants.

Comments

tocar 2 years ago

This is great and God will take care of both of you. I love my sister too and would give her a kidney if she needed it. We will be praying for you.

Justice4Moma 2 years ago

My prayers go out to both of you.Family is important.And what a great way to show your love.Please update us on this story.There are not enough good stories like this that gets out,just the bad stuff most of the time.

coachjohnson42 2 years ago

Now this is a great "feel good" story for Albany.....VERY NICE

Justice4Moma 2 years ago

There should be alot more post of this story,instead of all the bad things that happen.This is so very special.Unless you have been to where you dont know if you are going to live or not,it's hard for some people to see how very awesome this act of love is.This is the kind of thing that should be talked about more.

darnette0101 2 years ago

I pray for both women and their family. I hope the father's cancer was caught in time. May the good Lord bless.

twarnertwerk 2 years ago

Prayers to the family on the transplant and on the kidney cancer found in the father. Hope everything turns out well for all concerned.

agirl_25 2 years ago

I wish the very best for you both. My sister donated her kidney to her then 27 year old son many, many years ago (on a Mother's Day) when his body rejected a prior donated kidney when he was a very young child. He is very fortunate that he is able to have this chance at a normal life. I certainly hope that for you. She is now 83 and still kicking.

tywebb 2 years ago

what a great story! best wishes for a safe operation and a speedy and healthy recovery for both women.

DIVABROWN24 2 years ago

This is a great experience because in 2005 I gave one to my uncle. When God allows you to be able to bless someone the way you are doing then he will bless you in return greater then you can imagine.

agirl_25 2 years ago

How wonderful.....and I hope he is well and how great a gift you gave him.

MRKIA 2 years ago

THANKS TO ALL OF THE COMMENTERS FOR BEING SO NICE AND CARING AS WELL AS OFFERING YOUR BLESSINGS. LADIES, GOOD LUCK AND GOD BLESS.

Momof3 2 years ago

Praying for you both! What a wonderful example of what Christ talked about in the Bible (giving of one's self for others unconditionally, lovingly) and an inspiration to all. God bless you!

Hawk59 2 years ago

It is really refreshing to see all of the positive comments and outpouring of love and best wishes for these two sisters and their families. It goes to show no matter what we are dealing with, or going through. When we can come together and love each other as brothers and sisters, the rewards are limitless. I too would like to wish these ladies my hope for a speedy recovery, and know that my family and myself will keep you in our prayers. May God bless you all.