Squawk of the Day - April 18, 2012

"I remember when stay-at-home mom was the norm. Of course, that meant one car, one radio, church every Sunday and respect for and from everyone. Then women’s lib came along."

Comments

chinaberry25 1 year, 12 months ago

Unfortunately these days are over, but most female potential workers in Albany do that very thing. Their job is to draw welfare and food stamps. So it is still the norm in Albany. But childcare costs will take some mothers out of the workforce. But as most women know it is hard to raise a child and work. And I see nothing wrong with it.

Somebody 1 year, 12 months ago

The bigger picture here regarding the welfare mothers is there is no husband bringing home the bacon, in fact no husband at all, no child support, no father figure, no family values.

rock 1 year, 12 months ago

You have to be 70 years old and dumb as a brick. Womens Liberation did not cause the problems we have today. Sounds like you would like to have your wife, barefoot, pregnant, left at home with out transportatation, no friends and no education. Today that is considered abuse. The problems we face is because people think they are owed something because they are black, they are immigrants, they are WWII vets you name it. the spectrum is there. Get you head out of the stone age and help this generation come of age. If you think these kids today lack anything, remember they have been at war for 11 years, with ROE that stifles and no prospects when they return home.

AlbanyDad 1 year, 12 months ago

I was with you until you put military veterans in your post!!! Those of us that served did so for everyone to have those rights to live free, talk down to us...but I will say this...until you have served please keep ALL Veterans out of your mouth!!!!

I know you couldn't have served by saying such a thing...

bubbavet 1 year, 12 months ago

Don't even put a vet in the same category. You owe every vet. They earned their benefits so you could complain.

Black_Falcon 1 year, 12 months ago

I was with you until you mentioned Vets. We vererans do not think we are owed anything but what was promised to us.

POW's- All gave some. Some gave all.

AlbanyDad 1 year, 12 months ago

I was with him until then...but that ticks me off when people do this...I was injured in the first war in Iraq!!! but knuckle heads like this guy make me sick...we fight for all Americans...white, black, yellow(him), green, blue, red....we did it for the love of our country.

When I wake up every morning...I remember thta war from the pain I have...if it were up to him...I would not have any medical care at all....

Now I don't support people who sit at home and can work....heck I get up and do it everyday!!! Stop giving our money to people who need to earn their own!!!!!

Black_Falcon 1 year, 12 months ago

I was in the first war in Iraq as well.

agirl_25 1 year, 12 months ago

My husband was promised many things for the 30+ years service he gave to the military and so far he is being given those benefits he earned. We are enjoying them very much too and are very thankful he made it thru the 30+ years of hell he put up with. A promise is a promise, huh?

tocar 1 year, 12 months ago

The questions should be: "What has happened to this society's morals?"

Most welfare mothers think that the correct way of life is to have several children by a different Daddy and sadly the children do not know what a Daddy is or who their Daddy is. The mother wants to lay up for entertainment. This is real mentality.

There is the exception for those families on welfare who have lost jobs or because of sickness they are unable to work. These are unfortunate situations and they deserve welfare assistance.

jglass 1 year, 12 months ago

I saw a video this week, don't know how true or realistic it is. It was suppose to have been a welfare recipient explaining how they get top dollars from us the tax payer. You have kids and get so much per child. You get food stamps, you get free medical, you get free housing and you also lie about child care. They supposedly have friends that are the child care giver and they get money for that, but the "friend" splits the free money with the moms. I certainly hope that the government has not gotten this stupid to not have the "system" check this stuff out thoroughly before they hand out our hard earned money. But, you know, it would not surprise me one bit. The entitlement mentality is just unreal!!!!

Outtahere 1 year, 12 months ago

Don't forget about the income tax scam. The more children the more money you get. They sell their kids ss# for money!

waltspecht 1 year, 12 months ago

Unfortunately our Social Workers tell the recipients the best way to get maximum dividends from the system. They claim that is their job. They have actually held classes on how to cheat the system when the proper questions get asked by the group. The claim is that they are telling them what they are not allowed to do. Someone should wear a lapel video camera to one of these classes and give the video to the NEWS. Then the people could decide wht is right.

tywebb 1 year, 12 months ago

whose in charge of this stuff.......ACORN? Geez

jglass 1 year, 12 months ago

I couldn't work for the "system". NOBODY would get my hard earned money. Now, I take that back........the elderly would get help but that is because once they get to a certain age they cannot help themselves because of the cost of drugs and the amount of income they receive, etc.

agirl_25 1 year, 12 months ago

jglass...how old are you and what do you consider elderly? Do you realize that we elderly get increases in our pay too and we elderly don't all reach a certain age where we cannot help ourselves because of the cost of drugs and the amount of income we receive. I am so tired of the preconceived notion that once a person reaches a certain age they are to be put to pasture. I am elderly I suppose, by your standards (knocking on the door of 70) and I travel every year to exciting places, have even gone paragliding in the Alps at age 67, so don't assume that because a person is elderly we roll up in a ball and wither away. In June I am going to fly from Plymouth, England to Nomandy, France in a replica of a WW2 plane about the time of the D-Day anniversary. Please don't worry, we elderly will be OK.

firefly 1 year, 12 months ago

We have two cars, two radios, church every Sunday and Wednesday... guess a hard working mom CAN have it all!

agirl_25 1 year, 12 months ago

Yes you can, you can have what you want, what you have worked for, 2 cars, 3 if you want, as many as you like, and you don't need to explain to anyone why you have them or do the things you do. Is no one's business. They are not the ones doing the work are they, so enjoy it while you can. I don't owe anyone an explanation for anything I do and I pity the person who questions why I do the things I do. Enjoy life!

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 12 months ago

Think back to what your parents or grandparents had. My mother was raised in a post-WWII house with two bedrooms, a tiny bathroom, an eat-in kitchen, and a living room with a sofa bed. It was a deluxe model because it also had a tiny screened-in porch. She had 2 brothers plus her Mom and Dad. That was middle America 60 years ago.

Face it, most married women work for the MATERIAL THINGS THAT THEY CAN HAVE if they have an income. Compare the home my Mom had to YOURS!.....to the AVERAGE middle-class home today (a car for every family member over 16, 2800 square feet, smartphones for everybody, eat out half the time, maybe a beach house or a lake house if you're really loaded..........) you get the picture. It's that Mammon that Jesus spoke of that we are so in love with and will sacrifice whatever it takes to have it........to have just a little more than our neighbor has.......say it ain't so!

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 12 months ago

I'll go a bit further........what if women decided to stay work at home, raising the kids, teaching them all day, keeping the home clean an orderly, preparing and serving delicious and nutritious meals for the family, growing plants, herbs, vegetables in the garden.....and so on. Meanwhile, with the work force reduced by HALF...just think about how low the unemployment would be.....there would be plenty of jobs available thus keeping people off of welfare....wages would be higher since there are more jobs than workers.

Why is my "vision" unacceptable to you? Do you love THINGS more than you love your KIDS? Just asking.....

PS: You could re-write the above paragraph substituting "Men" for "Women" and vice-versa with the same end result.

Outtahere 1 year, 12 months ago

Well said Sister Ruby. When I had my first child I was in college - not the best scenario but his father and I managed. I chose to stay home with my child and take online classes to continue my education. Nuturing my child was more important to me than working to have extras. It was hard at times but I'm thankful I made that decision because my son excells in school! I truly believe it's because of all the quality time we spent with him!

Citizen_A 1 year, 12 months ago

The only flaw in the plan you outlined is having "employable" people to fill those available jobs... The career welfare recipients aren't educated in much else...