Squawk of the Day - April 25, 2012

"I think it is great that the volunteers in our county and city pick up the garbage, but I don’t understand why people can sit in our jails and have three meals a day and play cards and watch TV instead of getting out and picking up the garbage."

Comments

FlunkyMonkey 2 years, 7 months ago

or swing sickles to cut grass on the highway right of ways--bring back chain gangs and watch how the city gets cleaned up. Not to mention working out in the sun in middle of August being a good crime deterrent.

TheMember 2 years, 7 months ago

You would think it would violate their civil rights, but I say they lose all rights when they break the law. Look at surrounding cities, (Columbus) their prisoners work everyday.

chinaberry25 2 years, 7 months ago

Where have you been? I see them picking up trash all the time on the bypass. But why should anyone have to pickup someone else's trash? It should be nipped in the bud to begin with. Maybe the Arabs are correct, we are spoiled self centered people caring only of ourselves. We expect the other guy to clean up our messes. Especially the beer drinkers and the cigarette smokers. Stop at the red light on North Jefferson and the by pass, look down and see the 1000's of cigarette butts on the ground. Tells alot about the nature of smokers.

tocar 2 years, 7 months ago

I agree with FlunkyMonkey. I think the city and county should utilize the prisoners in cleaning up. They should not be allowed to just sit in their cells playing cards, sleeping or planning something else to do when they get out.

Jimboob 2 years, 7 months ago

What makes you think they plan anything???

FlunkyMonkey 2 years, 7 months ago

The county will only cut grass on the rights of way once a year because of budget problems. I resent having to sneak out into an intersection at a county maintained right of way (possilby putting my life on the line) while some crackhead lives the life of riley (three squares, free medical, free cable, etc.). Put their sorry a@@@@ to work swinging sickles or pushing lawn mowers to maintain the rights of way. I am sure some attorneys in Albany are salivating at the idea of suing the county because of a fatal collision at a blind corner due to the county failing to properly maintain it.

jglass 2 years, 7 months ago

chinaberry25, no we should not have to pick up trash behind anyone. However, we are paying for prisoners to have food, a bed to sleep in and heat and air and I guess they do watch tv as well. The picking up of trash all in and around Albany should be their recreation/work out. I also agree about the cigarette butts. I DO NOT smoke and it infuriates me to see people flick those butts. They do not disinegrate (I spelled that wrong). And, I wish police would start fining people who flick them out of their car windows. I know they see it happening because I see it all the time. I guess it is good that we do have volunteers who attempt to make Albany clean. Kudos to all of their efforts!!!

Shinedownfan 2 years, 7 months ago

One day on the by-pass as I was beginning to pass a car, the driver flicked a cigarette butt out the window and it lodged itself into the grill of my car. Immediately, the smell permeated through my car. As soon as I got home, I pulled it outta the grill. If this was a perfect world, I could find out who the driver was and they could be fined for littering, since their DNA was in the butt.

erudite 2 years, 7 months ago

I have often thought, and tried to get a petition going, to bring back a type of institution like the CC Camps of the 30's. Men and women (often really still teenagers) who are convicted of non-violent crimes can be sentenced to 1) prison or 2) a CC camp. At the camp, skills can be learned: engineering, electrical, welding, etc....all jobs to be in places that need 'infrastructure' repairs. We, as a nation, are watching bridges fail, roads crumble, forests poorly maintained allowing wild fires to spread, sidewalks break, empty buildings staying around and becoming "blight"...just to name a few.
If the convicted are true about wanting a 'better life' or state they are in prison because of a lack of 'opportunity', here is a way to learn skills, and give back to the community and the nation. They can be paid a small wage from the monies saved by housing them and making new prisons unnecessary, of which 80-85% is sent back to their family: mom, dad, kids....my Dad earned 30$ a month; 25$ went back to his mom. Of course, we would increase pay for inflation but the idea is there.

It would end prison overcrowding; kids who had a bag of weed or stole something from the Dollar Store or who made some other stupid choice would not be imprisoned to learn carjacking, meth making, hate, along with the other 'prison education'. These people would have a chance to learn a skill, to become social, to deal with problems, and to become resposnisble for themselves.

Because we live in a country that prohibits 'cruel and unusual punishment', selecting CC Camp over prison could be the convicted's choice; I think many more prisoners have a sense of personal pride than outsiders give them. However, if the convicted are not outside, that pride takes a very different turn.

waltspecht 2 years, 7 months ago

Do you realize why most prison industry has been shut down? Manufacturers influenced our Politicians to close these operations because it took business away from them. Same thing with the Farming operations.

VSU 2 years, 7 months ago

Well I don't think prisoners picking up trash in Albany is going to take any business away from anybody in Albany, being that I don't know of any businesses that are paid to go around and pick up trash along the highways and intersections. That goes for cutting the grass as well since the city can't budget to mow the grass, which is another thing that could make our city look better. Really looks tacky seeing all those weeds and grass growing along the roads.

FlunkyMonkey 2 years, 7 months ago

For all of you harping about the courgette butts--want to share an experience that happened to me--was walking through the parking garage in downtown Albany not to long ago. Not a cigarette butt in sight. Stepped in something (rather squishy). I looked down and I had stepped on a USED CONDOM!! I went home and threw my shoes in the garbage--everyone should have that experience at least once--after that, cigarette butts don't seem so bad (and I am a non-smoker)...

Jimboob 2 years, 7 months ago

How about a used diper? I see that all the time in parking lots. Just step in one of them...

VSU 2 years, 7 months ago

Came close to doing that, luckily some fancy footwork and dancing around getting out of my vehicle avoiding a disgusting situation.

Citizen_A 2 years, 7 months ago

I agree about the cigaretttes. They don't stop to think if they are throwing one out next to someone with an unknown gas leak. And cops can't bust cigarette butt throwers when they are right there with them...Litterbugs shouldn't pay a fine, they should have to do hours of service picking up the trash on the side of the road, wearing an orange vest with "Litterbug" on the back...

bubbavet 2 years, 7 months ago

It is very apparent most of you know nothing about the Dougherty county jail or it's inmates. You are talking through your butts even when your mouth doesn't know better . Most of the inmates not prisoners as you call them are willing to work if they are allowed too. The three meals, if can call them meals not even the guards would eat. Any one can be arrested innocent or guilty.

waltspecht 2 years, 7 months ago

Well, I think as a Vet you have been over seas. Ever seen the jails in Spain? Under Franko the Inmates had to work to get money for food. That or their family fed them. The prison meal may not look that good to an American, but I saw a lot of folks that would have been happy for Bolonga and eggs. I tend to believe there are folks in America that would be happy with the prison fare, as they have little else to eat.

Somebody 2 years, 7 months ago

If these people were willing to work, maybe some of them would not have been put in jail in the first place.

Bubbavet_rureel 2 years, 7 months ago

This is something Sister can help with, her PC need a break.

Sister_Ruby 2 years, 7 months ago

If you think I'm going to waste five minutes of my life picking up the trash you throw our your window........well you're just a stupid idiot.

Here's what I do as a Good Citizen: 1. Put any trash I have in the floorboard until I get home or to a destination where it can be properly disposed of in a Trash Can. 2. Any recycle-able material (glass, plastic bottle, cardboard, newspaper, etc) is placed in designated containers in my garage. When full, I take them to the Re-cycling center on Meredyth Drive. 3. I don't smoke so I don't pollute God's Gift of the Earth with cigarette butts. This keeps my lungs and the Earth clean. 4. I also push my Grocery Buggies all the way to the Buggy Barn in the parking lot and Nest them to a buggy that's already there. NOT just leave them where they sit when I finish loading my car like a fat lazy dope. 5. And no I don't break the law by using my Grandmother's Handicapped Parking Decal when I'm perfectly healthy and able to walk from a parking place 20-feet further out to the store and OH by the way I could use the excercise since I am trying NOT to become a fat lazy DOPE like you.