Squawk of the Day - April 27, 2012

"Unfortunately, the NRA is really not interested in hunters. Their agenda ignores hunters’ true concerns, but rather is all about making all handguns, assault weapons and other firearms available and free from any and all types of regulation."

Comments

stredr357 1 year, 11 months ago

First, I'm not a member of the NRA. But I believe they are protecting our Constitutional right to bear arms. Remember, it only takes the government one time to get their foot into the door,to take away ALL gun owners rights. Don't let history repeat itself. REMEMBER Nazi Germany in the 1930's. First it would be your handguns and assault rifles, then your high powered rifles, i.e. hunting , and then your shotguns. Then where would the honest citizen be. No protection against the thugs. They don't abide by the laws now. Do you expect them to do so then. I think not.

waltspecht 1 year, 11 months ago

Funny, who do you think developed Hunter Education Classes now required in most States to get a license? Who do you think trained and certified the Instructors? Who do you think fights to keep Federal and State land open to hunting? The Second Amendment is part of the basis for the NRA, but certainly not the entire basis. Competative shooting and the Eddie Eagle Safety program are also NRA programs. They are not, nor have ever been one dimensional as you want to portray. Former Hunter Safety Instructor / Endowment Life Member.

gotanyfacts 1 year, 11 months ago

Opinions born of ignorance are often the hardest to change.

Citizen_A 1 year, 11 months ago

Any honest person would not be afraid of gun regulations of some sort. I would hope any regulations would help keep guns out of criminal hands, and bring harsher penalties to those who obtain/sell them illegally.

Somebody 1 year, 11 months ago

Not going to happen, Criminals will find a way to get guns. You don't want to bring a knife to a gun fight.

Sixty 1 year, 11 months ago

Those drug "regulations" have really kept the drugs off the street. Criminals don't care about laws or regulations. That's why they are "criminals". Only people who respect laws and regulations would be without guns if restrictions were put in place. Most people who are carrying guns do not have a permit to carry a gun, so in reality, they are breaking the law already.

justme 1 year, 11 months ago

What has the NRA done to curb gun violence in the USA today ? Absolutely nothing. There are folks getting shot and killed in this country every day of the week and you never see protest or hear comment against the NRA for not doing something to curb the violence. The NRA is big business and big business never looks back.......................

VSU 1 year, 11 months ago

Blame the gun violence on the human mentality not the guns. If people went around clubbing people with baseball bats, would they ban baseball bats?

gotanyfacts 1 year, 11 months ago

Do you have a suggestion as to how the NRA might accomplish that? Their training programs arguably do reduce acciidental injuries and deaths. Is there something the NRA can do to overcome the criminal mentality that seems rampant it our country?

USTPC 1 year, 11 months ago

coachjohnson42, you and every american citizen should care about the NRA fight to keep our right to bear arms. The liberals have tried to take that right away from us on numerous occasions and had it not been for the NRA they would have succeeded. Then where would we be? You think crime is high now? If we as citizens did not have the right to bear arms and protect ourselves it would be higher. As it stands the criminally minded individual has to at least give some thought to whether the individual he is attempting to steal from or kill is armed and can fight back. Take that away and watch crime go up.

Citizen_A, you are right that some regulation is okay. I have no objection to making it illegal for a convicted felon or criminal to have a gun or for a person with a history of mental illness. But beyond that there should be minimal regulation. Why should I have to register every gun I own? Who besides me needs to know that information unless the thought process down the road is that it will provide a list of gun owners to target?

I support the NRA and what they are trying to do. I have weapons in my house and I carry. I will protect myself and my loved ones from anyone that tries to take what is rightfully mine. I would hope that most of us are of that same mindset.

Citizen_A 1 year, 11 months ago

I do not have one problem with anyone's right to bear arms. I have a gun in my house. I just take exception to some of the types of guns people own. There are guns out there that no everyday citizen should own and go beyond the means of defending against threat. I will agree that most people who do own them only do so just to say they have one, like some status symbol of a sort. But the fact is guns are meant to kill. And I know it would take perfect world for regulations to reduce crime, and the criminal's ability to obtain guns, while at the same time allowing the honest person the right to own their guns. But just like always the criminals ruin it for the honest person. How else would you weed out those who have no business owning guns without some sort of registration process and regulations? Fact of life is that most laws and regulations come about because someone can't use the brain and morals God gave them.

VSU 1 year, 11 months ago

In a perfect world, nobody would need guns except maybe to hunt and target practice and other sporting events to that nature.

agonized 1 year, 11 months ago

I'm not a member of the NRA, none of my family hunts (not that there's anything wrong with hunting) and we don't have a gun in our home, which may change before too long with the state of the world today, sadly. However, I'd like to know where the Squawker got this "information". It seems like opinion disguised as fact, which so many people are guilty of stating these days, myself included, and it drives me bananas.

The ownership of guns needs to be regulated, but as the poster Somebody stated, criminals will find a way to get guns. Regulations are good, but they affect the people who will be law-abiding anyway. Criminals will always find a way to get guns, just as an addict will always find a way to get drugs.

bubbavet 1 year, 11 months ago

All of corch43 and his kind is what can the guvment do for me. They will never ever change. You will never satisfy them. Period Thank you NRA.

43cop 1 year, 11 months ago

THANK YOU NRA FOR ALL THAT YOU STAND FOR. MANY DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT THAT IS AS IT APPEARS FROM THE RESPONSES I AM READING. THANK YOU, THANK YOU

chinaberry25 1 year, 11 months ago

Aggression starts with the hand that rocks the cradle. It is sad that our society has become so uncivilized that anyone has to have a hand gun. Thugs are reproducing a lot faster than any other branch of society. So do the math. Just look at the survivors of some of the folks killed by cops here. Eight kids. This was the drug pusher killed on the bypass and of course he was a good guy.

waltspecht 1 year, 11 months ago

You left out that the wife had a restraining order against him for violance

Cartman 1 year, 11 months ago

The NRA shouldn't have to defend our right to bear arms. It is not a right created in our Bill of Rights. It is a God given right, recognized and guaranteed by the Bill of Rights. It goes much further than hunting. Citizens may bear arms. Slaves may not. Shame on Obama.

mr_nobody 1 year, 11 months ago

Just so you know, we're on the same team. Shoot, I even make my own ammo.

But, I've never thought about owning guns being a God-given right. I'd enjoy reading some explanation of this. No flames.

Cartman 1 year, 11 months ago

Our constitutional forefathers recognized God as our provider in many documents. I'll give one example. In the Declaration of Independence from England, they said, "We hold these truths to be self-evident,...that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. — That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, — That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government..." After independence was secured, they laid out our form of government by way of the Constitution. They also specifically laid out which rights were held sacrosanct by enumerating them in the Amendments, which we call the Bill of Rights. Sorry. I'm not a constitutional scholar. But the documents do not give us rights - it recognizes rights of self-defense, self-governance, and self-determination - free of interference. We consent to be governed. Or at least, that's the way it was intended. Now, many wait to see what the government will allow them to do. It is Obama's way of thinking as well. That's why I said, Shame on him. The second amendment is clear, "A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed." It is so that we could not be unarmed sheep, held powerless by a corrupt government. I reiterate my point. The 2nd Amendment is not about hunting. Sorry for the long post.

Jimboob 1 year, 11 months ago

What the h*ll does Obama have to do with this?

gotanyfacts 1 year, 11 months ago

Gun control? Check these out:
"Obama Looking For Ways Around Congress On Gun Policy " headline - Huffington Post- May, 2011

During the meeting, President Obama dropped in and, according to Sarah Brady, brought up the issue of gun control, “to fill us in that it was very much on his agenda,” she said. “I just want you to know that we are working on it,” Brady recalled the president telling them. “We have to go through a few processes, but under the radar.” - from Washington Post April 11, 2011

This is a President who likes to "work under the radar". He has the added benefit of a news media prone to the use of chaff in case someone's radar does pick it up.