Man shot, stunned after attempted burglary

ALBANY, Ga. — A man was hospitalized early Monday after being shot and stunned during a burglary attempt in northwest Albany, police officials said.

Initial Albany police reports said that a black male, identified as Donald Byrd, 23, broke into Apartment 161 at 2401 Nottingham Way — the site of Nottingham North — around 2:30 a.m. The victims told police that a neighbor had broken into their residence and had charged at them, reports indicate.

One of the occupants shot the man on his left side, officials with the Albany Police Department said Monday.

When officers arrived, Byrd resisted and was combative with officers. He was shocked with a Taser before being taken into custody and transported to Phoebe Putney Memorial Hospital, APD officials said.

Maj. Bill Berry, commander of the Albany-Dougherty Drug Unit, confirmed there are drug charges involved with the incident as well. Byrd, as well as the two occupants of the apartment, have been charged with possession of less than one ounce of marijuana.

The two occupants, whose names Berry was unable to give to The Albany Herald on Monday evening, have been charged with tampering with evidence.

A spokeswoman at Phoebe said Byrd was in fair condition Monday afternoon. After Byrd was taken in, witnesses were sent to the APD Law Enforcement Center to be interviewed by detectives, officials said.

Nothing further was available on the incident Monday afternoon.

Comments

VSU 1 year, 11 months ago

That will teach him a thing or two, but then again maybe it won't, but good job by the resident. Always like to start my Monday mornings with good news.

Cartman 1 year, 11 months ago

Of all the nerve! Trying to refuse medical care. Taze him! That will teach him to resist giving Phoebe a billing opportunity.

hayward2 1 year, 11 months ago

the only problem is, now the resident will be sued by the burgular, and the cops will catch hell from liberals, for tasing a wounded man. if it had been my house, all they would have needed to bring was a coroner. nip it!

dingleberry 1 year, 11 months ago

By golly, works for me! "Another one bites the dust", (quoting a song as Carlton does so successfully).

hayward2 1 year, 11 months ago

looks like somebody's gonna get sued, the victim for wounding him, and the cops for tasing a wounded thief. all they would have needeed to bring to my house was a coroner.nip it!!

VSU 1 year, 11 months ago

Get yourself a job...it might prove to be less painful.

GodsSon 1 year, 11 months ago

VSU, dingleberry, and Cartman, you all sound like self righteous, backwoods idiots. None of us know the real facts of the incident, yet you rush to judgement. I'm certain you thought Trayvon Martin deserved his fate as well. It's easy to hide behind the mask of a computer screen. Wear your white sheet proudly.

Shinedownfan 1 year, 11 months ago

Are you serious with that username??? You think you're Jesus?

tywebb 1 year, 11 months ago

and i'm certain you thought zimmerman was guilty of murder and a hate crime! what's your point?

VSU 1 year, 11 months ago

What facts do we need? The victim of a burglary shot the person trying to break in his apartment. What an idiot you are, you must be a partner to the thug that got arrested. Maybe you condone the actions of these losers, but I don't. They can get their sorry butts a job instead of stealing from other people. And you talk about hiding behind a computer, what a hypocrit you are as you too are hiding behind a computer and I can guarantee your name is not Gods son.

bubbavet 1 year, 11 months ago

Typical every day BLACK preaching. Hell will be full of them

coachjohnson42 1 year, 11 months ago

thats a racist comment.......he does not represent all BLACK people.

Cartman 1 year, 11 months ago

What do you think happened? You think Zimmerman just hated Skittles? Trayvon's dignity got insulted because he knew he was being shadowed by Zimmerman. When Zimmerman broke off the tail, Trayvon doubled back to get even. He thugged up on an armed man by confronting him and then sucker punching him in the nose. He then proceeded to beat the crap out of Zimmerman. Zimmerman called for help. When Trayvon detected Zimmerman's gun and went for it, Zimmerman shot Trayvon. The racists Sharpton, Jackson, and Obama immediately jumped to conclusions that race was somehow a motive. No. I was not there. That's my prediction of how it will unfold when everything is told. It won't be good enough for those intent on being selectively and purposefully over-sensitive.

justme 1 year, 11 months ago

Cartman smoke some marijuana before you have a hate attack. You need to slow down boy.

hayward2 1 year, 11 months ago

GodsSon,sounds like your the only racist here...I'm sure he was breaking in to get a bite to eat..or watch some t.v,or something. I think we know who the idiot is here!!

GodsSon 1 year, 11 months ago

Conversing with idiots is the equivalent of "barking at the moon". POINTLESS

KaosinAlbany 1 year, 11 months ago

No you are the one who started the race baiting in this thread so deal with your remarks.

VSU 1 year, 11 months ago

You are the idiot! Go talk in the mirror, maybe your reflection will agree with your thoughts..notice I said maybe.

Somebody 1 year, 11 months ago

Conversing? You are not conversing with anybody, you are in here carrying on calling people names, accusing everybody of being racist, when nobody mentioned anything about race except for.......YOU!!!!!!

Shinedownfan 1 year, 11 months ago

These are your first comments on this website ever, antiGodsSon, we do not call each other names, and a child of Christ wouldn't either. You need to rethink your user name and think twice before commenting from here on out...

agirl_25 1 year, 11 months ago

Hey GodsSon, my Grandpa used to use that "barking at the moon" saying but there was a lot more to it than that...haha....he was quite a colorful old soldier....I can't repeat whole thing here but let me leave you with this one..... it does sound to me like there is a lot more to the story than the reporter reported, sounds to me like all 3 were fussing and fighting over some "weed", huh? (Just my opinion and I am entitled to it.) Anyway, is all I wanted to say to you..and thanks for your time.

Sincerely yours, Mrs. Dilligaf

Hawk59 1 year, 11 months ago

It's really saddening to read some comments. I am one who try to read between the lines of comments, as well as stories on this format. Some people will not just say what they mean, but will give you enough to come to your own conclusion about what they're trying to say. So if someone is always commenting negatively about a certain race or group of people. I would consider that person racist, reason is, I'm looking for and finding consistencies in their comments. Stories like this gets too much attention. We all need to lighten up and take a look in the mirror, cause for most that is where the problem starts. If you're not doing anything to make things right in this world, you can't complain about whats going wrong. So you're either going to be part of the problem, or the solutions to make things better for the next generation. And to all of you who are so ready to pick up a gun and shoot someone. Move down to South FL. WHERE IT HAPPENS EVERYDAY.

chinaberry25 1 year, 11 months ago

Sue the person?? The person lives in an apartment and you cannot get blood out of a turnip. Better not have a jury trial for cannot foresee the thug winning.

Somebody 1 year, 11 months ago

So now it turns out the burglar had a job working at the Marine base, and the three residents were charged with possession of weed. Even with jobs, people have to resort to burglary. I guess it is in their blood, maybe he was after the weed.

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 11 months ago

As a Major Prophetess, I feel I need to interject some TRUTH here to clear something up for everyone. The new poster calling him self "GodsSon" has been mis-understood due to typo-graphical erroneous keyboarding.

What he really means to communicate is that he is "Dr. Murfree's God-son". No Blasphemeous comments were intended by him. Thanks for your attention.

Shinedownfan 1 year, 11 months ago

THANK YOU for clearing that up for me, Sister... it ALL makes sense now!

waltspecht 1 year, 11 months ago

Looks like a possible drug deal argument settled by a gun. Can't wait till the truth comes out.

boyoboy 1 year, 11 months ago

Those used to be the nicest apartments in Albany. The bad moved in, the good moved out, and you have what you have. Imagine that.

ittibittime 1 year, 11 months ago

Just another fun filled night in the ghetto life city.