Woman challenges others to help local medical clinic

Jurie Ross, assisted in her times of need by Samaritan Clinic on Jefferson Street, has issued a challenge for those who have been helped to donate what they can, when they can so that “others may be served.”

ALBANY -- Jurie Ross, an unemployed diabetic with back and shoulder issues, found a helping hand at an Albany clinic. Now she is asking its patients to "pay it forward" if and when they can.

Ross, 58, is unable to work, she said, and has trouble paying for her diabetes medications. In 2010, while waiting for her Social Security disability acceptance, she wound up as a patient in Phoebe Putney Memorial Hospital. It was there she heard about Samaritan Clinic at 802 N. Jefferson St.

"They were really good to me," Ross said. "They talked to me about my health, and then they set me up for a physical (exam) and a mammogram. They told me I could go to Publix and get (my diabetes medicine) for free."

According to Ross, Samaritan Clinic required proof of income for her to qualify for no-cost services.

"My challenge is for those who have been to the clinic and have a job or an SSI check to give back what you can so that more can be served," she said. "You could make a one-time donation or give a little bit each month or both. We buy sodas and alcoholic beverages. We could sacrifice those kinds of things and give back to a place that helped us in a time of need."

Ross said Samaritan Clinic is not the only agency in the area that provides help for the indigent and needy. Others she and her husband, Ernest, have called upon or heard about include The Lord's Pantry, Neighbors in Need, The Salvation Army, and Mt. Zion and Sherwood Baptist churches.

"Samaritan doesn't help just black people," said Ernest Ross. "It's an open clinic for anybody who needs help. White, black, it doesn't matter."

Ernest Ross is recently unemployed and has a workman's compensation case pending.

While administrative personnel declined to discuss the facility and its method of operation, according to its website -- www.gfcn.org -- Samaritan is part of the 100-member Georgia Free Clinic Network based in Atlanta.

GFCN is a 501(C)(3) nonprofit organization supported by corporate and private donations, which may be made through the website. It is unclear whether donations can be made specifically to Samaritan Clinic in Albany.

Comments

MRKIA 1 year, 8 months ago

SHE DOES'NT HAVE ANY BUSINESS BUYING SODAS OR ALCOHOL BEING A DIABETIC AND ON SSI. SHE ACKNOWLEDGES "WE" DO IT. HMM....

darnette0101 1 year, 8 months ago

MRKIA, she was stating "we" as in a people as whole, not referring to herself.

chinaberry25 1 year, 8 months ago

This is really a good think for Albany. I did not know they had a place here.

southwestga 1 year, 8 months ago

Mighty weak piece of journalism. My guess is that what Samaritan needs most is more volunteer nurses, primary care providers and specialists.

cfcarroll64 1 year, 8 months ago

Also funds to help keep the doors open would be nice.

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 8 months ago

This town is absolutely FULL of 501 c 3's, so-called "ministries", and not-for-profits which pay no taxes and DO NOT WORK together. Many of them are just tax shelters for their "leaders". Every day people are lining up and the next handout center. It's difficult to discern which are for real and which are just shams.

billybob 1 year, 8 months ago

Just let all those chicken-loving, bible believing folks who stood in line for an hour at chick-fil-a know about this worthy organization and they'll be right down to offer a helping hand and a donation. Oh yeah, nevermind. They won't.

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 8 months ago

mr. bitterbob........if not for "those kind of folk" that you so freely disparage, there would be precious little charity in this old world.

billybob 1 year, 8 months ago

I disagree. There are many, many charitable people who are not religious. I would cite Warren Buffett, Bill Gates, Lance Armstrong among a very large, very generous group. Christians do not have the market cornered on charity and kindness. You want to bet that even one-tenth of the people who went and bought holy chicken sandwhiches will show up to serve the homeless this Thanksgiving?

1d2ec 1 year, 8 months ago

Are you sure Warren Buffett, Bill Gates and Lance Armstrong are not bible believing folks?

Jacob 1 year, 8 months ago

lance, AKA the juice? that's your example of goodness? LOLOLOL

billybob 1 year, 8 months ago

Yeah. He has that whole foundation thing going on where he gives to cancer research. I know it's only a few million dollars annually... And his doping in cycling is akin to pine tar in baseball - technically against the rules, but rampant and common.

1d2ec 1 year, 8 months ago

Do you know anyone and can prove they are not in some way a hypocrite?

billybob 1 year, 8 months ago

Fair point. I just think hypocrisy in the local Christian churches is a bit over the top though. Watching all of the folks with the self-righteous patting on the back because they bought chicken sandwhiches last week was comical but sad. But I do think you have a point we all, me included, do display hypocrisy from time to time.

Jacob 1 year, 8 months ago

Unless you attend the local Christian churches, you don't really know what they do, do you? Believe it or not, they don't hold press conferences when do charitable deeds.

billybob 1 year, 8 months ago

I've attended a few and know many people who are members of the local churches. Instead of trying to build a rather lame strawman argument, why not address the issue. You and I both know you will never see the kind of outpouring of support for something like this or a soup kitchen like you did with the great holy chicken rush of 2012. Hour long lines, tv reports, facebook meltdowns. To suggest otherwise is laughable.

southwestga 1 year, 8 months ago

Some Christians do good works - like the Samaritan Clinic - without seeking publicity and acclaim. Think you can send donations as above, or if you're a medical professional, volunteer!

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 8 months ago

bitterbob: you must have had a traumatic event in your life. Did you lose a family member? A child or spouse or sibling? Whatever it was, don't let it ruin your eternity.

billybob 1 year, 8 months ago

Nope. As I said in another thread, I enjoy the debate and discussion of religion. I was a Christian for many, many years. I was in church several times a week, involved in evangelism and outreach programs, etc. As I got into the bible more and more, there were so many things that seemed contrary, so I began researching early church history, the vetting of the bible, other religions and so on. I did not arrive at the conclusion that god does not exist lightly. Additionally, most Christians have been indoctrinated from a very early age and that is difficult to break.

AlbanyIsTooDarkDuringTheDay 1 year, 8 months ago

I'm sorry BillyBob, I will include you in my prayers. I hope the imperfections of Christians will not ultimately lead your life away from saving love of Christ.

It seems to me that your problem isn't with Christianity, it is with religion. More specifically, how people have changed certain aspects of religion across the centuries. Man is inherently prone to serve his/her own selfish desires.

Like conspiracy theories, there are many people who claim they have proof that religion is made up and it is all a big hoax by the church. I am not a preacher nor do I claim to have the knowledge of an ordained minister, but I would encourage you to speak with a Christian preacher to discuss your views.

If you are right in your views, that is one thing, but what if you are wrong?