Business and church provide food for needy

Feed The Children, Teleperformance and First Apostolic Church partnered Friday to provide a tractor-trailor truck of food and personal items for hungry area families. Second Harvest Food Bank donated bread and pastry items.

ALBANY — Cars on Lumpkin Street in east Albany were backed up about a quarter mile from First Apostolic Church Friday morning, an easy indication the food giveaway program for area families was being well received.

The event was made possible by a partnership of Teleperformance, a local call center which donated money for the food; Feed The Children, a large and widely known charity, and First Apostolic Church. Featured was a tractor-trailer truck filled with boxes of food and hygienic items for 400 people.

In addition, bread and pastry items were provided by Second Harvest Food Bank. According to Feed The Children sources, more than half the children in Albany are considered impoverished.

People in long lines waited more than half an hour to receive a 25-pound box of items such as canned goods, pasta, rice and bottled water and a 10-pound box of personal items. Dressed in company T-shirts, Teleperformance volunteers helped distribute boxes and unload the truck, which had arrived Friday from North Dakota. Vickie Anderson, human resources coordinator for Teleperformance, said the company had been a partner in the event for six years.

“The (Second Harvest) food bank came in to partner with us for the first time this year,” Anderson said. “They brought the bread and pastries.”

A woman identifying herself only as Queen, said she’s not working currently and heard about the event from a friend.

“Anything would be a help,” Queen said, “I have a 19-year-old and a 10-year-old. Hard times are everywhere so I thought I’d just come down and get in line.”

“There are so many hungry people,” said Eloise Frazier, “and needless to say I’m among the ones that are. I think it’s a great thing being done for the community. Not only are they giving away food but they got people out here who will help you with it and put the boxes in your car.”

Lillie Thomas, coordinator of hospitality for First Apostolic Church, and Betty Jackson, pastor, helped organize what they say is the 14th year of the event.

“I just think it’s a marvelous thing,” Jackson said. “We’ve had participation from a lot of vendors but most of the event came from Teleperformance and Feed The Children. We just appreciate the fact that we can do something to be a part of the solution and not the problem.”

Thomas talked about a Christmas event for which her church has been hard at work raising money and food donations. She said the event will take place the second Saturday in December and has been sponsored by her church for 14 years.

“We serve turkeys and hams for Christmas,” Thomas said. “We’re a small church, but we believe in doing big things. We’re trying to give something back to the community where people will have a good Christmas. We’re trying to provide light where there is darkness.”

Jackson said there are people as far away as Tifton and Valdosta who regularly donate to First Apostolic’s hunger programs, one recent donation being an entire “field of greens.”

The church is always requesting and welcoming donations, Jackson said, and those who would like to make donations of money or food should call (229) 869-1549 or (229) 438-5339.

Comments

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 11 months ago

What will we all do when there's no more needy in Albany? I just wonder......................

dingleberry 1 year, 11 months ago

Will never happen Ruby. Haven't you noticed that the more we do, the more there are? Growing our own poverty through subsidized housing and the endless social support network, I always say.

bigbob 1 year, 11 months ago

Kinda like don't feed the animals they will get dependant on you.LOL

ustaknow 1 year, 11 months ago

big thanks to the church. As to food stamps and feeding the needy

I refer to Homers Solution"

", The purpose of food stamps is to assure that families and children don't starve correct. There is so much abuse in the system , here is my solution. scrap the current system and award vouchers to local food banks. These food banks can not only strech the dollar alot further but buy in bulk. The poor can then goto these banks for their weekly supplies. If you want to benifit from these banks you must volunteer at least 20 hours a week to stock shelves and keep it running. Don't give me that chit its emabrassing and demeaning, it should be, it will motivate you to get off the dole"

ustaknow 1 year, 11 months ago

I challenge anyone making 50k a year to show me where the tax dollars you pay into federal government comes back to you under barrack Obama. this is why middle class has to vote Obama out. Obama sends tax dollars to a select few and it is not the people earning 50k a year. this income group gets very little but pays in most. Romney said he want to help middle class- lets give him the chance

LuLu 1 year, 11 months ago

It's a shame they didn't show us a picture of all the cars lined up. I bet half of them were nicer and newer than the one I drive to work every day to earn money to support them.

MRKIA 1 year, 11 months ago

WHAT IS DEMEANING ABOUT HELPING A PROGRAM THAT HELPS YOU?

bubbavet 1 year, 11 months ago

Helps you do what? Sit on your a-- and wait for your check to come. Please!!

agirl_25 1 year, 11 months ago

Was it a 25 pound box total of goods or did the article mean a 25 pound box of goods plus 10 pounds of personal items? Am not trying to be picky, just curious. To me 10 pounds of personal items is an awful lot of personal stuff. What kind of personal stuff weighs 10 pounds? Anyway..good for them for bringing the food. Now my next tidbit is...what kind of food other than what was listed was in the packets? May I make a suggestion or two? How about a 3-pound can of something like Crisco, and some baking powder, flour, syrup, salt, basics like that...they won't need to be refrigerated and will not go bad if kept in airtight containers and the mamas can make the little darlings some pancakes. They can surely get some eggs with their food stamps can't they. How about some meal later for some cornbread with a mess o' greens? I am all for people helping people but am not for this continuous bringing of this fluff food down here and thinking you did a grand thing........and what's with the bread and pastries?? ........sheesh....bread and pastries..!!!......Give them a huge can of pinto beans and let them make some cornbread.....now that is canned goods....get real!!!!! If you are going to bring food..bring real food and not 10 pounds of personal products!!!!!!! Ok the rant is done......have a nice day.......Mrs. Dilligaf....

Bateau 1 year, 11 months ago

I didn't see any starving people in the photo, did you? Looked to me like most of them could stand to miss 40 or 50 meals and be the better for it!

msa651 1 year, 11 months ago

With the largest number of people ever on Food stamps, over 47 million now, all the other school lunch programs and more. It's hard to believe that there would be such a need that still exists,but it does.

Something wrong here .......

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 11 months ago

Don't you mean 109 Million people on food stamps?

terihdfxr1 1 year, 11 months ago

The needy thats a joke. I see a bunch of Women that look like they could afford to skip a few meals. Where are the Elderly and truly needy folk's? Id like to see the cars parked in that lot, I bet there nice rides. These kind of programs NEVER help out who its really attended for. It bennifits the ones that do nothing all day but look for hand outs. They probibly already recieve hundreds of dollars in food stamps a month.

Mr_Heatmiser 1 year, 11 months ago

I'm all for charity, but I have to admit I'd have a bit of a problem donating food to someone who would dress out at about 380. Only in America would you see "needy" people standing in line for food donations, and easily 80% of them are morbidly obese.

Sherwood_Eagle_Alum 1 year, 11 months ago

Why all the negativity towards an article celebrating something positive happening in the area? The news usually has nothing but death, robery, and corrupted officials, but when something good is reported you couldn't tell the difference based on the comments.

Mr_Heatmiser 1 year, 11 months ago

You know what, you're right. I'm going to look at it more positively.

This is a great ministry, and it really is nice to see a business chipping in like this. And, for all I know, those well-fed individuals in the picture might be volunteers from the church, and the needy people haven't gotten there yet.