Burr seeks library chairmanship

Southside Branch Library at 2114 Habersham Road is one of two Dougherty County libraries which closed due to budget funding cuts.

ALBANY, Ga. — Community activist Bishop John Burr with the Peoples Clergy Community Involvement group asked the Dougherty County Commission Monday to name him chairman of the county library board and to allow him to work to reopen two closed library branches.

“Mr. (Guy) Craft said at the meeting (July 30) that he would resign (as chairman of that board),” Burr told the commission. “If Mr. Craft resigns and you appoint me chairman of the library board, we can keep those libraries (Southside and Westtown branches) open utilizing the resources available.”

Commission Chairman Jeff Sinyard said after the meeting he had no indication that Craft planned to resign from the library board.

“Mr Craft has not, as far as I know, resigned,” Sinyard said. “That being the case, (Burr’s request) is not a talking point at this time.”

Craft, meanwhile, took Burr to task for his comments to the commission, accusing Burr of “posturing.”

“I have no intention of resigning from the library board,” Craft said Monday. “And even if I did, I don’t think Mr. Burr has the ability to head the board. He sounds like Al Gore trying to claim he invented the Internet; it sounds like he’s posturing.

“If he can, as he said, raise $300,000, I’d like to know where it would come from. Maybe he’s got some kind of magic wand.”

Burr said he would “set aside political views and race” as head of the library board and “look at the character and content of our children.” He assured commissioners he has the qualifications to hold the position.

“I helped land the first man on the moon at the Kennedy Space Center,” Burr said. “I have the training necessary to keep those libraries open with what we have now.”

Burr mentioned a $121,000 shortfall in library funding during his presentation, and Commissioner Jack Stone asked where he got that figure.

“I read it in the newspaper,” Burr said.

Stone replied, “The newspaper did not shut the libraries.”

Commissioner Gloria Gaines told Burr she would continue to look into the matter.

“I do share your concerns,” she said. “As far as I’m concerned, this issue is not over. I am not happy with the results.”

Craft said he’s been vilified in the black community for “trying to do what’s right,” and he indicated that the miscommunication between the library board and the County Commission lay with County Administrator Richard Crowdis.

“Mr. Crowdis told the commission he learned about (the library closings) from the newspaper, but that’s not true,” Craft said. “I told him possibly two months ago that we were considering closing the two branches, but he obviously did not tell commissioners. I think he was trying to protect his job.

“If the commission wants to make Mr. Burr chairman, I’d step aside. But I don’t think my board would accept that. All of us worked as hard as we could to keep those library branches open, but we had to look at the numbers and the usage of each branch. It had nothing to do with race.”

Commissioners also heard reports from staff Monday on a rezoning request made by Jason and Laurie Pitts for their business at North County Line Road, a recommendation to approve TTL of Albany’s $32,535 bid for environmental monitoring services at the county landfill, an amendment suggestion to allow quarterly jail health service payments rather than monthly, and a quit claim deed that would return to the city property that had been the site of the county-sponsored First Tee program.

Sinyard gave each commissioner a memo that outlines his or her thoughts on an action plan on the county’s Fiscal Year 2014 budget.

We need “to continue to explore each and every line item within our budgets to identify specific reductions in spending and also to identify possible alternatives that will result in cost savings while maintaining quality,” Sinyard wrote.

“I know this is common sense,” Sinyard said, “but we’re in a climate like we’ve never seen before. By taking this proactive approach, hopefully we’ll come up with some better ideas.”

Gaines praised the memo.

“Last year taught us some hard, hard lessons,” she said. “I’m happy to see us get an early start.”

Comments

bubbavet 1 year, 11 months ago

I love it when these "IDIOTS" show their "INTELLIGENCE"

hotdog 1 year, 11 months ago

I love it when these "IDIOTS" show their "INTELLIGENCE"

Exhibit A

MRKIA 1 year, 11 months ago

THAR AIN'T POINT HOTDOGGIT!!

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 11 months ago

He thought it was mis-spelled! Hahahahahahahahahahahahahah!!!!!

MRKIA 1 year, 11 months ago

AND PROVED HIS OWN POINT TO BOOT!!! WE LOVE IT TOO HOTDOG.

ugamike 1 year, 11 months ago

So Mr. Burr has become a magician! He can make money just appear out of thin air to re open libraries?

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 11 months ago

He probably does it every Sunday.

MRKIA 1 year, 11 months ago

MR. BURR: YOU DON'T HAVE TO BE THE LIBRARY BOARD CHAIRMAN TO TRY AND KEEP THOSE 2 LIBRARIES OPEN. IS THAT THE ONLY WAY YOU WOULD MAKE THE EFFORT? DO YOU NEED THE "TITLE" OF BOARD CHAIRMAN TO MAKE YOU FEEL IMPORTANT? WHAT ARE YOUR QUALIFICATIONS FOR THE POSITION? CRAFT HAS A DOCTORATE IN LIBRARY MANAGEMENT AND DECADES OF EXPERIENCE IN THE FIELD. WHAT DO YOU BRING TO THE TABLE? COMMUNITY ACTIVIST AND "BISHOP"? NOW YOU WANT TO ADD "CHAIRMAN"? YOU ARE FULL OF YOUR SELF. PREACHERS COMING OUT OF THE WOODWORK AROUND HERE.

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 11 months ago

Community Organizer.........sounds familiar.......hmmmmm.....where have I heard that phrase before.............??

B4it 1 year, 11 months ago

Burr doesn't have a clue as to what he is talking about. He just wants to rattle his sabor against an army of those wanting to do what is right.

KaosinAlbany 1 year, 11 months ago

I thought it was 2 Commissioners who wanted him to resign. I don't remember hearing it come out of his mouth that he wanted to resign. Some of these preachers need to stick to preaching if you ask me.

broke 1 year, 11 months ago

The only way Burr can keep those librarys open is if he himself gets out his check book and pays the bills. What part of "the county has no money" does he not understand.

guardian 1 year, 11 months ago

Those buildings have already been emptied and the furnishings distributed among the County offices.

waltspecht 1 year, 11 months ago

So what is the plan? Don't just make a statement, give it some backing by outlining exactly what can be done with what resources and by whom. Then the current Board can use that information and accomplish the same goal. Afterall, the goal is to open them back up isn't it? Or is it something else?

MRKIA 1 year, 11 months ago

IT'S SOMETHING ELSE. HE WANTS THE TITLE. BURR BELIEVES THAT APPOINTING HIM "CHAIRMAN" ( BY HIS REQUEST NO LESS) PUTS AN OFFICIAL STAMP OF APPROVAL AND SOMEHOW LEGITIMATES HIS STANDING AS SOME KIND OF ACTIVIST AND CLERGYMAN. A FEATHER IN HIS CAP SO TO SPEAK. THE KIDS? DOESN'T MATTER, THE LIBRARIES ARE ALREADY CLOSED AND THEY SURVIVED.

ugamike 1 year, 11 months ago

So Mr. Burr has become a magician. Making money appear in the budget to keep these libraries open!

observer1 1 year, 11 months ago

The chairman of the Library Board is elected by the voting members of the library board. Dr. Craft, a retired librarian himself, is experienced, credible, and responsible. If he, the staff and the Board could not find a way to keep all libraries open,John Burr certainly can't.

ugamike 1 year, 11 months ago

If he really wants a place for these kids to do homework and things. His church needs to offer free internet and provide homework help for the kids!

KaosinAlbany 1 year, 11 months ago

Great idea! But people here are usually self serving and don't really care about the kids involved. It's really pathetic...

Hoodie 1 year, 11 months ago

I'd like to see the usage amounts for these libraries if they were under utilized then close em

Cartman 1 year, 11 months ago

The Albany hits just keep on coming.

saveourcity 1 year, 11 months ago

when did he become a Bishop? how was he consecrated? I guess when you are a Bishop you can create money out of thin air

saveourcity 1 year, 11 months ago

Bishop - an ordained or consecrated member of the Christian clergy who is generally entrusted with a position of authority and oversight. This man is neither ordained nor consecrated, by anyone's definition. "beware false prophets" he is just trying to get on the money train........

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 11 months ago

WOW somebody creates money out of thin air and somebody makes posts disappear into thin air. I will re-state:

What qualifications would make Burr head of the Library system of Dougherty County? How is that for a question?

MRKIA 1 year, 11 months ago

IF BURR HEADS THIS THING ALL OF THE LIBRARIES MIGHT CLOSE.

LuLu 1 year, 11 months ago

Because he helped put the first man on the moon! Don't you see the parallels? ; )

Somehow I just don't see the connection..

dingleberry 1 year, 11 months ago

Both a rocket scientist and a legend in his own mind, so it seems. Heck, I didn't even know we had a moon at the Kennedy Space Center!

broke 1 year, 11 months ago

Is he serious?? Does he really think he did that??

dingleberry 1 year, 11 months ago

Craft and the library board had the data necessary to make the right decision and did so. It is not a matter of whether the decision was reasonable, it is a matter of black clergy trying to flex their muscles. It has nothing to do with needing the libraries and all to do with demonstrating "power".

broke 1 year, 11 months ago

If Burr can claim he helped put the first man on the moon....then I want to claim that I helped invent the IPOD. Sounds about right to me.

bubbavet 1 year, 11 months ago

You reckon cleaning out toilets qualified him for landing a man on the moon. Anyone working there at the time helped in some way, even the janitors.So in his mind he is qualified.

ontario1966 1 year, 11 months ago

Another person that steals money from a church and wanting to be on a board? Men of the cloth are nothing but scum here in the great city of Albany Ga.

MRKIA 1 year, 11 months ago

YOU MADE AN ACCUSATORY STATEMENT. YOU PRESUME EVERYONE KNOWS WHAT YOU ARE REFERRING TO. TELL IT ALL.

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 11 months ago

The Office of Bishop is quite similar to the office of Major Prophetess.

TrixibelleBento 1 year, 11 months ago

So, money comes from the character and content of our children? Huh. I want to see that happen.

How did he help land men on the moon? What does that have to do with anything? If that is true, why is he a "Bishop" in Albany and not helping further science and technology somewhere else?

Craft, keep doing what you're doing. You have nothing to worry about from Mr. Brainiac.

Amazed2 1 year, 11 months ago

Hey maybe JuneBug can hold some Fish Frys to keep the Libraries open.

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 11 months ago

To me the question is: Can Burr head the library system? Will Burr head the library system properly? What will happen if Burr heads the library in an unsatisfactory manner? And finally, are there any other Burr Heads who might run the library system better than Burr heads it (if indeed Burr heads it)?