Heard's School Board qualifying fee unpaid

ALBANY -- Dougherty County Elections officials confirmed Monday that School Board at-large hopeful Lorenzo Heard has yet to pay the $108 qualifying fee to run as an independent candidate against Democratic nominee Lane Price in the Nov. 6 General Election.

The Dougherty Board of Elections is scheduled to meet at 4 p.m. Wednesday. It is expected that Heard's candidacy will be a topic of discussion.

A source close to the situation said the board's agenda would be published later today and that some decision in regard to Heard would likely be made at the meeting.

"I really can't comment right now because the signatures are still being verified," Board of Elections Chairman Alan Pendleton said. "We have three people working on that right now, signature by signature. It's not a quick process. We don't have an agenda yet, but I think the situation will come up one way or another.

"I hope we can put this to bed quickly."

The situation arose shortly after Price defeated incumbent Anita Williams-Brown in the Democratic Primary Election on July 31. Heard, the pastor at Greater 2nd Mt. Olive Baptist Church, then began scrambling to meet a noon Aug. 3 deadline to enter the race as an independent candidate.

District 3 Dougherty County Commissioner-elect Clinton Johnson, Mt. Olive's Youth Minister, presented a required notice of candidacy to the county elections office, which was time-stamped, then rejected and returned to Johnson. That document was later shredded.

On Aug. 6, Heard arrived at the elections office just ahead of a noon deadline with signatures from nominating petitions. State law requires signatures of 5 percent of the county's registered voters (approximately 3,000 signatures), which the elections office is in the process of certifying.

"The board has to make a decision and we just may have to educate them on how this process is supposed to work," said Heard's attorney, Maurice King.

Dougherty County attorney Spencer Lee, who supported Price during the primary and will have to work with Johnson in the future, has recused himself from the dispute and will be replaced by Ed Collier, attorney for Calhoun and Terrell counties.

The Price campaign will be represented by Americus attorney Jimmy Skipper.

Comments

rightasrain 1 year, 8 months ago

If Heard didn't even pay his qualifying fee by the noon deadline (which election officials said is yet unpaid) HE DIDN'T QUALIFY! Period! Don't care if he's black, white or obama color.

FryarTuk 1 year, 8 months ago

Terry, your story reads, " . . . (the notice of candidacy) was time-stamped, then rejected and returned to Johnson. That document was later shredded." Who stamped the document? Is this standard procedure for any submission? Who rejected the document and on what basis? Who shredded the document? Where? When? Why? When was the qualifying fee to be paid? In counting and certifying the signatures it seems the county is trying to finesse the hard decision. A great deal of taxpayer money is being spent and perhaps needlessly. With the signatures being certified first there seems to be an implicit legitimacy to Heard's application. Any denial on an ambiguous technicality will precipitate an uproar. Ginger Nickerson is not up to the task of running the elections office. The city commission elections, the refusal to release individual-certified precinct totals and now this debacle clearly indicate she isn't ready for prime time. The County Commission should remover her.

waltspecht 1 year, 8 months ago

What did I say to get my comment removed from the space immediately after Fryar Tuk's above comment? It still shows on my profile?

erudite 1 year, 8 months ago

There seems to be two squawks...there is FT's and one from you on the other squawk.

chinaberry25 1 year, 8 months ago

Amen, I thought he had to pay before the first signatures were turned in. Non-refundable like the lady in East Albany. His spirit is not too gung ho as he stated it was.

LuLu 1 year, 8 months ago

Why is this even being entertained? Why are we wasting precious taxpayer dollars by paying three people to verify signatures? Rev. Heard is clearly attempting to run as an afterthought and has admitted that he didn't even want to! We all know the reason why. Now he skates in by just a hair with his application, and without the measly $108 fee?? And who on earth SHREDS a candidacy application?? If this is any indication of how Rev. Heard handles business, then we don't need him!

agirl_25 1 year, 8 months ago

tsk tsk.....hand cupped to my ear.....did I just hear LuLu say..Rev. Heard.....egads......what a thing to hear this early in the morning...Rev. Heard indeed!! Can we say Mr. Heard!! I cannot imagine why his cronies don't dig deep into the pockets and come up with the $108..my goodness between just 4 of them it would be a measly $27 each and I am sure they can cough that up. She is right....you do not need him!!!!!!

LuLu 1 year, 8 months ago

I try to be nice on Tuesdays. :)

missdaisy 1 year, 8 months ago

Should the "Rev's" church tax exempt status be questioned?

FlunkyMonkey 1 year, 8 months ago

There is a great price to be paid for supporting racism. State law dictates the signatures be verified. However, I question why this is even necessary since the fee has not been paid. It seems to me that if he did not pay the fee by the deadline, and the deadline has passed, then he has not met the minimum qualifications to have his name put on the ballot. Having said that, why do I see a lawsuit looming from at least one candidate in regard to the School Board race? Because, that is how they do things. The DCSS don't give a damn if it is done legally,,,,

Momof3 1 year, 8 months ago

Sooooo he didn't pay the fee. Why are you bothering to count signatures? He didn't meet the deadline with ALL the necessary qualification. End of story.

bigbob 1 year, 8 months ago

Because he is black he must be intitled.

Momof3 1 year, 8 months ago

I'm black and if I don't pay bills on time my stuff will get cut off. I don't get much entitlement so I don't think it works like that for blacks any more than white, hispanics, indians, or otherwise. Just saying....

RedEric 1 year, 8 months ago

So, Maurice King is going to educate the elections board.....wow this should be good. So, due to the separation of church and state, the good and plenty clause of the constitution, the poverty vows of the reverend/bishop/pastor Heard we should throw out all of the rules and just appoint him as the Large board member or maybe Largest board member. Would that satisfy you, Maurice? This comedy show continues to come up with great scripts.

saveourcity 1 year, 8 months ago

He is a black "preacher"....why would he need to pay a fee? we owe him......

MRKIA 1 year, 8 months ago

THE DIVIDING LINE BETWEEN CHURCH AND STATE HAS APPARENTLY BEEN REMOVED IN ALBANY. THAT ASIDE, LIKE OTHERS I QUESTION THE PURPOSE OF COUNTING AND VERIFYING SIGNATURES WHEN 2 OF THE MOST BASIC REQUIREMENTS TO RUN HAVE NOT BEEN MET. 1:FILING AN AFFIDAVIT OF CANDIDACY AND 2; PAYING THE FILING FEE. WHY IS TIME AND MONEY BEING WASTED TO ENTERTAIN THIS NON-ISSUE? LOOKING FOR SOME OBSCURE BACKDOOR ENTRY INTO THE RACE? TO MS. NICKERSON: THE STATE ELECTION OFFICIALS ARE AWARE OF AND MONITORING THIS SITUATION. ANYTHING OTHER THAN AN OUTRIGHT DISQUALIFICATION IS GOING TO RESULT IN A LAWSUIT AND NICKERSONS CREDIBILITY AND JOB WILL BE AT STAKE.

agirl_25 1 year, 8 months ago

My goodness the Justice Department is going to be busy in the city soon, huh? They had better be ready to do some digging deep into a lot of issues when they come too.

ObjectiveEyes 1 year, 8 months ago

Do you really think that we can expect the DOJ to investigate this mess?
Eric Holder will NOT investigate blacks. He thinks that Voting Rights laws only protect them...not apply to them.

MRKIA 1 year, 8 months ago

NO, BUT THE STATE ELECTIONS OFFICIALS SHOULD HAVE NO PROBLEM SHOULD HEARD BE DECLARED ELIGIBLE BY NICKERSON. THERE WILL BE A LAWSUIT FROM PRICE'S ATTY'S SHOULD THAT HAPPEN. THE STATE WILL HAVE TO GET INVOLVED.

agirl_25 1 year, 8 months ago

Well somebody better get their butts down here pretty soon. If it was a white person borrowing all this money from the cofers of the DCCS or making all the rules as they went along you can bet your bottom dollar Jesse, Al and the rest of the gang would be here saying how horrible it is and old Oprah would probably be doing a show about it. I have been to enough chat programs and gone to enough blogs and spread the word around and passed this URL to enough people to let them read just how things are done in this area. Some are absolutely shocked that these hoodlums as they call them, are allowed to get away with such and say that where they are from they would be be fired on the spot and outcast as shameful crooks. They cannot believe that things like this occur in America...and I am ashamed to admit to them it happens all the time.....that these hoodlums do not care about the welfare of the children but only about personal gain.

agirl_25 1 year, 8 months ago

Maybe not but I did get some interesting mails from some unlikely sources..hehehe....and am having the time of my life...doncha love the The First Amendment to the Constitution....I know I do....

KaosinAlbany 1 year, 8 months ago

You have to pay the qualifying fee on time to even be considered. This goes against the Ethics rules set by the State. Sounds like this guy doesn't have a chance not unless the Elections Board makes an unethical decision to qualify him.

43cop 1 year, 8 months ago

Maurice King, that is a joke in plain form. Mr. Heard is not qualified by law and if he had an attorney that cared about ethics, he would have told him so. No Fee, No Qualify. PERIOD. END OF DISCUSSION.

Cartman 1 year, 8 months ago

"Chairman Alan Pendleton said......It's not a quick process. We don't have an agenda yet, but I think the situation will come up one way or another."
Hidden agenda?

Terry.Lewis 1 year, 8 months ago

The agenda for Wednesday's Board of Elections meeting :)

Bubbavet_rureel 1 year, 8 months ago

Your Hidden Agenda have been exposed!

Amazed2 1 year, 8 months ago

Well if Heard had asked his support base of 3000 plus signatures to donate about $.03 to $.04 cents per signature to support him then he could have paid his $108 application fee. Guess they will blindly sign anything a preacher ASK them too they just won't put a 3 cents in the plate to show support. Oh well dont worry old #34 writes checks to bail out students arrested but the DCSS Polce so he will probably have a secret check cut from DCSS to cover the application.

Amazed2 1 year, 8 months ago

Guess I cannot believe that James Bush forgot to tell the Pastor that he needed to PAY a $108 application fee too. Amazing the so called Pastor and want a be politician wants to manage millions of taxpayer dollars but he does not have means to pay $108 even with 3000 so called Signature supporters. They better call in the FBI to check out those signatures!!!

FryarTuk 1 year, 8 months ago

There is so much about the Heard application story that has been disclosed. I hope it all comes out tomorrow. It would be interesting to know if the GA code was followed which requires each page of signatures to carry the collectors notarized signature. Who stamped the application and who shredded it?

tywebb 1 year, 8 months ago

are you still stuck on that? If I remember correctly, and chances are I don't, ONE of the original stories about this said that the application was time stamped as received (by whom i don't recall) but it was not complete so was sent back to whomever filed it (heards youth pastor?) and THAT'S who shredded it. NOT someone at the elections office.

FryarTuk 1 year, 8 months ago

Yes, I was and am stuck on several things. I did not see nor recall a report that the application was shredded by someone at Heard's group. Thanks for that bit of information. Now can you answer the other things or will I have to wait? As a non-retired senior I have to work week-ends and evenings and it's heard to stay abreast of developments.

tywebb 1 year, 8 months ago

http://www.albanyherald.com/news/2012... Look at the 3rd paragraph. It doesn't say WHO actually shredded the docs, but it was someone in Heards group since he said they got the documents back. On another note.....was this slip accidental? "it's heard to stay abreast of developments." Too funny

TrixibelleBento 1 year, 8 months ago

I don't care if you're a black member of the clergy, you must follow the rules too. No money, no name on the ballot. Why is this so difficult? Move on to the people who followed the rules and met the deadline. This is starting to sound like the Reverend who is trying to get on the Airport board. Heard must be getting his political advice from Postell.

Venture5 1 year, 8 months ago

I wouldn't take a check from the pastor. We have a rule at our business. If a pastor comes in and he or she is black we will not accept a check. Every check I have ever taken from a black pastor has bounced. A few years ago I accepted a check for over $1,700.00 from a black pastor at one of the largest churches in Albany and it bounced. I would call the pastor every day and he would tell me to be at the job site where he was working at 2:00 and he would give me the money. I would be there but he wouldn't. I finally called the magistrate court judge in Lee county and he told me I could pay the fee to file a suit but I would be wasting my money because there were so many people ahead of me. This pastor is still in the pulpit and I see him on TV on sunday mornings.

agirl_25 1 year, 8 months ago

How funny is that?? And still no money. And is he really a pastor or a black man pretending to be a pastor like so many of them do? I am so sorry but that has to be one of the funniest things I have read today and by golly if you had a fund to contribute to for paying the fee to file I would be more than happy to toss in a few bucks...haahahaha. Stand in line, huh? Why is it that they think they are above the law...?? Again, thanks for the laugh. Made my day.

B4it 1 year, 8 months ago

If his initials are RC then it is amazing that he is still able to preach anywhere. One of the most dishonest persons I have heard of.

agirl_25 1 year, 8 months ago

I despise TV preachers like him with a passion but I think I shall put on a fake grin this Sunday and try to bear looking at the TV long enough to get a few good laughs. Thanks for the heads up. I may have to mute the audio but watching him do his dance may be amusing.

MRKIA 1 year, 8 months ago

WHY DON'T YOU GO DOWN TO THE CHURCH DURING SERVICE AND CALL THIS "PASTOR" OUT ON HIS DEBT? I WOULD CERTAINLY SHAME HIM IN FRONT OF HIS ENTIRE CONGREGATION. HE WASN'T ASHAMED TO GIVE YOU A BUM CHECK. BET HE WAS WEARING A COLLAR WHEN HE HANDED YOU THAT CHECK. AND I'D KEEP GOING BACK UNTIL I GOT MY MONEY.

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 8 months ago

If you think the congregation gives a rip, I'm afraid you might be mistaken. And you possibly would not make it out alive.