Lee recuses himself from School Board election flap

Spencer Lee

Spencer Lee

ALBANY, Ga. -- Dougherty County Attorney Spencer Lee recused himself from any action related to the lingering question over the at-large Dougherty County School System School Board race Monday, saying he had supported Democratic primary winner Lane Price's candidacy.

The Dougherty County Elections Board is expected to rule Wednesday whether Lorenzo Heard met state qualification requirements to challenge Price as an independent candidate after Price beat incumbent Anita Williams-Brown in the July 31 Democratic Primary.

Lee said both Price and Heard notified him that they'd secured legal representation: Heard from Albany attorney Maurice King and Price from Americus attorney Jimmy Skipper.

"I am recusing myself for a couple of reasons," Lee told the Dougherty County Commission Monday morning. "First, my wife and I contributed to Lane Price's campaign -- we even put one of her signs in our yard -- so there are the political implications.

"Flip that coin over, and Mr. Clinton Johnson, who is in the audience today, is the person who delivered the notice of election to the Elections Board on behalf of Rev. Heard and Mr. (Terrance) Wilson (who is seeking to challenge embattled school board member Velvet Riggins). Since, as county attorney, I will also represent Mr. Johnson as a county commissioner, that presents another possible conflict."

Lee said he has contacted Ed Collier, who serves as county attorney for Terrell and Calhoun counties, to sit in on his behalf during any Elections Board meetings.

"I want to make it clear that I don't care what The Squawkbox or anyone else in the community says about any so-called 'Gang of Four'; I did not support Lane Price because I'm out to get (School Board Chairman) James Bush," Lee said. "He's an old friend of mine. I supported Mrs. Price because she and her husband are friends of mine as well."

Commissioner Jack Stone praised Lee's action.

"Regardless of the outcome (of the Elections Board's ruling), you're doing the right thing," Stone said. "This is an issue that has to be handled right down the line, no B.S., so that it doesn't come back to bite any of us."

Comments

FryarTuk 1 year, 8 months ago

Yes, let me praise Spencer Lee for recusing himself from the elections board flap and hiring another attorney. He isn't worth a tinkers toot and couldn't argue against a first year law student and win it. I also found humor in Maurice King's statement reported in another story where he says he'll have to educate the elections board on their review of Heard's application. He's right about one thing, the elections board and Ginger Nickerson need educating if not firing. As for King providing the tutoring, well, that's downright laughable. Lord, save us from attorneys.

FlunkyMonkey 1 year, 8 months ago

Mr. Lee at least showed a certain amount of moral ethics when he recused himself. Its a helluva lot more than those jackasses on the board would do in the same situation.

waltspecht 1 year, 8 months ago

Say, did Spencer and that Harley make it back from Sturgis? Or is he handling this by cell phone from the road?

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 8 months ago

Yes it's a problem when only one contingent in a racially divided entity has the moral fortitude to do the right thing and the other contingent will do anything, right or wrong, to have their way. It's called "being honest if it kills you"....which it will.

FryarTuk 1 year, 8 months ago

Lee had no choice but to recuse himself. The real question is as an officer of the county why was he stupid enough to inject himself into the political contest? It's not as if he has any influence beyond the county clique. Now he has none.

TheMember 1 year, 8 months ago

The law is the law, he did not pay on time, his paperwork was incorrect. Even if he did shred the paperwork, it is still late now. As for Lee recusing himself, as a potential juror, we are asked if we can overlook what we have heard about a case and make an educated decision on the facts, so why can't he do the same. If the facts show Mr. Heard qualified legally, then by God he qualified, but if he did not, well he is not. The fact that he has not or did not pay the application fee on time, plainly shows he did not qualify. Is it that hard to figure out? Or is there another story Bush is coming up with?

jglass 1 year, 8 months ago

TheMember, you are absolutely right, however, remember we are talking about Albany.

Thurman 1 year, 8 months ago

Spencer probably made the call from "Outback" as this is his favorite "watering hole" during business hours.

KaosinAlbany 1 year, 8 months ago

I still think Price would spank Heard. $70K is a lot of money to go up against.

jglass 1 year, 8 months ago

KaosinAlbany, I would think Price would come out ahead...............however, who knows what ALL his congregation would donate.

agirl_25 1 year, 8 months ago

Are the forms that hard to fill out? I have no idea what they are like. It amazes me how so much chaos can reign over something as simple as filling out a form. I would think it would ask the standard things...you know..name, address, date of birth, etc.......do you have a criminal record, stuff like that..are they really so difficult to fill out?

TheMember 1 year, 8 months ago

I don't think it would be hard for most. How do you think he will do as a board member if he can't even fill out the application correctly? You have to know Mr. Heard is fuming mad at the person who actually filled it out and turned it in, he is looking like a fool and he didn't even fill it out. Nice job Mr. Bush.

Amazed2 1 year, 8 months ago

Well it is probably a good thing that SPencer Lee has recused himself. Maybe the other guy is not afraid to make a real decision.