Squawk of the day - August 14, 2012

"The U.S. Olympic team did very well in the London games. Congratulations."

Comments

waltspecht 1 year, 8 months ago

Not bad for what amount to professional athletes. Anyone calling the games a competition of Amateur Athletes is lying to themselves. How did this noble concept get so corrupted by profit?

Shinedownfan 1 year, 8 months ago

We were talking about that the other day, Walt. How did all these pros get into the Olympics? When I was a kid, it was all amateurs. When athletes finished at the Olympics, THEN they could go out and earn some money for their years of training and hard work.

Citizen_A 1 year, 8 months ago

I asked my husband the same thing, specifically in regards to basketball...he said we used to send our college players, but then some of the other teams started sending their pro guys and we were getting our butts kicked. So USA said if they want to play that way, then we will, too. At least we didn't start the trend and thankfully not all sports at the Olympics are professional sports.

Sherwood_Eagle_Alum 1 year, 8 months ago

Yet again, someone turning a positive squawk or article into something negative. This is why Albany has problems. Too many people ready to complain rather than say, "Wow, that was nice," or, "I wonder what positive thing I can do to remedy the situation"?

Congrats to the best nation in the world on securing another overall medal and gold medal count victories!

FryarTuk 1 year, 8 months ago

Great Job, Olympians! Great job, UK! I You suppose Mittens is disappointed there was no security debacle?

FlunkyMonkey 1 year, 8 months ago

The orms may have been made in China but the SPIRIT was made in America,

TheMember 1 year, 8 months ago

Well I see this simple squawk has already turned political by one liberal hack. How long will it take before hotdog or willie turns it into a racial squawk?

alleebrin 1 year, 8 months ago

Well, you couldn't wait, could you?

TheMember 1 year, 8 months ago

I couldn't wait??? WTF are you talking about?

tduncanspradley 1 year, 8 months ago

gosh ppl, the squawk was simply to say good job! How did it turn into all of this? Congrats USA...

chinaberry25 1 year, 8 months ago

They are all on steroids and I do not bother to watch sports or the olympics anymore. They stop taking the pills in enough time to pass the test. Take hair follicle tests and see for sure. The name of the game is to cheat.

agirl_25 1 year, 8 months ago

Yes.....congrats to them.......I enjoyed some of the Olympics when I was little....but don't as much now that I am older (to be honest..haha..an old lady)..but enjoyed discus throwing and javalin altho I don't think they have televised them since the 13" black/white TV screen days. I enjoyed the winter skiing sports too and some of the skating but not the summer sports. I also like the fact we still have the big satellite dish that could be programmed to a satellite to pick up the events as they happened so I didn't have to wait for the tape delays. I enjoyed that for winter Olympics when they were in Europe. I love dressage too...nothing more beautiful than watching the movements of the horse and rider. I do agree tho about too many pros in what was supposed to be for the amateur sportsman.

Sherwood_Eagle_Alum 1 year, 8 months ago

So proud of our womens soccer team for defeating Japan in a highly anticipated rematch.

TrixibelleBento 1 year, 8 months ago

I am so proud of our athletes, but I do wish that basketball players were true amateurs. With the exception of that, I enjoy the Olympics immensely. I just wish I had the time and TV coverage to be able to see the entire competitions instead of just the highlights or the Americans.

agirl_25, I enjoy dressage too. I don't understand all the movements yet, or where the mistakes are, but I love watching the horses trot sideways while facing forwards. I think that is just awesome to watch. The ability to make a horse do that is amazing.

agirl_25 1 year, 8 months ago

Yes the horses are amazing..the dressage is breathtaking. When we lived in Germany 50 years ago my husband took me to Austria to see the Lipizzans. Every movement is controlled by the rider's touch. It is something that will stay in my memory forever. To watch the dance of dressage by the Lipizzans is certainly for anyone's Bucket List.

pberthoty 1 year, 8 months ago

Finished watching a lot of Olympics and as a veteran who fought for our flag, I am very disappointed in seeing some of our prominent American athletes, including Gabby Douglas, a wrestling gold medalist and other American athletes, just standing there holding their bouquet of flowers and not paying the proper respect during the playing of our national anthem.