Elections Board denies candidacy

Dougherty County Elections Supervisor Ginger Nickerson and Board of Elections Chairman Alan Pendleton are pictured on Wednesday just before the Board voted 5-0 to deny Terrance Wilson's bid to run as an independent in the District 3 School Board race against Velvet Riggins.

ALBANY, Ga. — The Dougherty County Election Board voted unanimously Wednesday to deny Terrance Wilson’s application to qualify as an independent candidate in the District 3 Dougherty School Board race.

The 5-0 vote to deny Wilson’s inclusion on the ballot was reached because of insufficient petition signatures. State law requires that 5 percent of a voting district’s registered voters sign the petition for inclusion, which means 412 certified signatures were required to qualify as an independent candidate in District 3. The elections office certified 86 signatures.

Barring a write-in campaign by a candidate, Velvet Riggins, who was suspended from office after being indicted on school lunch fraud charges, has no opposition in her bid for a new four-year term on the School Board in the Nov. 6 General Election.

Next week, the board may consider during a called meeting the eligibility of Greater 2nd Mt. Olive Baptist Church Pastor Lorenzo Heard, who is attempting to get on the ballot as an independent to run against Dr. Lane Price, the Democratic Party nominee for the Dougherty School Board’s at-large seat.

Price unseated incumbent School Board member Anita Williams-Brown in the July 31 Democratic Primary and appeared set to join the board in January since she had no Republican opposition in the General Election.

“We are still canvassing signatures right now,” Elections Supervisor Ginger Nickerson told the Board in regard to Heard’s petitions. “We have five people working on certifying the signatures and hope to be finished by the end of the week.”

Board Chairman Alan Pendleton said the Elections Board would not make a decision on Heard’s candidacy until the signature certification process was complete. A total of 2,911 certified signatures would be needed for an independent candidate to have his or her name included on the ballot if running for a countywide office.

“We’ll have a called meeting after the run-off (Tuesday) to consider Rev. Heard’s candidacy,” Pendleton said. “If he does not have the signatures, it’s a moot point, he’s not qualified. If he has the signatures, then we will consider the other issues and make a decision.

“We are waiting to consider all compliance issues at one time.”

After Price’s victory, Heard attempted to file an affidavit on the final day of qualifying to run against her as an independent.

His notice of candidacy affidavit, however, was rejected when Clinton Johnson, the youth minister at 2nd Mt. Olive and District 3 county commissioner-elect, handed over what elections officials determined to be a copy of an affidavit rather than an original document. The document, which was stamped by the Elections Office, was shredded after it was returned, Heard has said. Heard also has not paid the $108 qualifying fee.

Comments

jglass 2 years, 4 months ago

If an original was needed and a copy was turned in, then he did not meet the deadline!

sandtrap 2 years, 4 months ago

NOW, IF WE COULD ONLY GET RID OF JUNEBUG!

Sister_Ruby 2 years, 4 months ago

What about one of those little green bags that you hang on the fence that attracts June Bugs? Just be sure and hang it on a fence that is a long, long way from here.

dingleberry 2 years, 4 months ago

Will this be a "hanging chad" happening--meant to turn in the original and picked up the wrong one by mistake? In other words, "intent* was allowed to overrule "result".in that case.

B4it 2 years, 4 months ago

Terry, why is the issue of Heard not paying the qualifying fee not addressed in this article or even by the election board? What is it that we are missing in what seems to be a closed case for him not being qualified to be on the ballot?

Terry.Lewis 2 years, 4 months ago

The original story was a quick brief to say Wilson's candidacy had been denied. I was still in the meeting. Heard's situation is addressed in the updated story.

B4it 2 years, 4 months ago

Thanks for responding, but the question still remains = was the qualification fee paid by the deadline? If not, why are the signatures still being reviewed?

rightasrain 2 years, 4 months ago

According to the Albany Herald, Heard did not pay the fee nor has he yet paid the fee. Like Dingleberry, I expect Heard and his attorneys to challenge based on the "hanging chad" defense; and, I would not be in the least surprised to see his name on the ballot.

Terry.Lewis 2 years, 4 months ago

No. Neither notice of candidacy nor the qualifying fee are at the elections office. They are certifying the petition signatures first, because if he does not have 2,911 certified signatures, he dies not qualify. Period.

FryarTuk 2 years, 4 months ago

Also why aren't they addressing the entire matter of applying. The declaration by staff that it was not an original is news unknown up to this point. Have the signature pages followed the correct format? It seems the election board is not disclosing the story to the press or the press is not printing it which I doubt. Great political and public relations capital (for the community) is being squandered in this debacle. Ginger Nickerson shows no capability for managing the Elections Office.

Cartman 2 years, 4 months ago

If the number of petition signatures was insufficient, then there is hope that Heard's petition may fail for the same reason. Both plots to run as independents, were hatched at the same place - probably at the same time. I am guessing that both petitions were handed around to the same folks at the same time as well. As I said. Just a guess.

TheMember 2 years, 4 months ago

Word on the street is the election board is still verifying names and will address the other failed attempts after, but they don't want to waste their time if the names are not valid, which I hear they are not. He loses on both counts, I would bet everything I have.

agirl_25 2 years, 4 months ago

Terry, Terry, Terry, did you call him PASTOR Heard....do you actually have proof he is in fact a pastor? Tsk, tsk on you...remember that Lane Price is in face DR. LANE PRICE and should certainly be listed as Dr. Price. Tsk, tsk, tsk.

bubbasmithredneck 2 years, 4 months ago

He is a Pastor and she is a Doctor....so what....

Sister_Ruby 2 years, 4 months ago

And just for example........how many years of formal, post-secondary Education does each have, comparatively? ........There's your So What!

itsjustmytwocentz 2 years, 4 months ago

They both have college degrees.... I'm assuming she has possibly a Master's or medical certification/degree. And your point?

Sister_Ruby 2 years, 4 months ago

If you can't assess the difference, which is significant, then me explaining it to you won't help because you will still not see it. Willfully blind or unwillfully stupid.....one in the same thing basically.

Citizen_A 2 years, 4 months ago

The point is Dr. Price is a M.D. and her name should include the title "Dr.". I think agirl_25 is questioning whether or not he is a Pastor....

hotdog 2 years, 4 months ago

Does any of that make a difference....it is not a requirement to be elected to the board.....Why should it matter...if Agirl wants to know, the name of the church he is a PASTOR of is documented in the article....check for yourself...wouldn't want anybody to sit around and wait for someone to GIVE them something....would you??

agirl_25 2 years, 4 months ago

No I don't give a horse's patootie where he preaches.....I am simply stating I am sick and tired of seeing all these titles bestowed on these folks. Did he really go to seminary and earn the title or did he one day get up in some pulpit and do some preaching and decide he liked the way Pastor sounded in front of his name (kind of like in school when "Johnny* the star quarterback got all the girls for being listed as 'Johnny, quarterback' in the school newspaper....wink wink wink). It makes a difference to ME. and btw.....did you EVER once see me ask where he preaches......NOOOOOOOO! I don't think so. And another thing...I am an equal opportunity griper..I also griped about Mr (pastor) Wilson...see below....v....

Amazed2 2 years, 4 months ago

Well assumming he turned in the exact 412 so called real signatures required. I assume he turned in a least more than the minimum but for the sake of this calculation lets use the minimum and compare to the 86 signatures that the elections office could actually confirm. Basically, 86 verifiable signatures means that only 21% of the signatures tturned could be verified or certified. That means that 79% of the signatures turned in were not. That would basically indicate that at least some percentage of those unverifiable or non certified signatures are not real. And this is from a Pastor that want to run for the Velvet Riggins seat on the DCSS board. As you know she is awaiting trial and has been removed from the DCSS board under the charge of fraud.

Amazed2 2 years, 4 months ago

Come on Mr. Pastor Wilson whats the deal???????????????

agirl_25 2 years, 4 months ago

OMG.......Mr. "Pastor" Wilson????? Not another one......what is in the water in Albany....where do they come from? Do they just sprout up from no where or is it in something they eat? Another PASTOR???? Do they ever run out?? Is there a bar code on them with a "USE BY" or expiration date?

chinaberry25 2 years, 4 months ago

I will bet the farm that the Pastor has not one hour of college in the seminary and Dr. Price is an MD which is no small feat. And along with the farm, she will be a better school board member. I do not even live in Dougherty Co. but I grew up there and still love my home town.

Amazed2 2 years, 4 months ago

If you can't fill out the paper work to run correctly and don't understand what is needed and the basic rules to get on the ticket then just HOW CAN YOU HELP THE DCSS CHILDREN????????????????????? Might as well leave Velvet in a seat and feed her kids for free.

Bubbavet_rureel 2 years, 4 months ago

Time will tell, let the process work!

TheMember 2 years, 4 months ago

Please bet me bubbavet_rureel, he will not qualify. I don't care if every black lawyer in the state gets involved. Please bet me, I need the money!!!!!

southwestga 2 years, 4 months ago

The Second Mount Olive website says Pastor Heard has a Bachelors Degree in Business Management from ASU, having also attended Fort Valley and Morehouse. No mention of any seminary training.

agirl_25 2 years, 4 months ago

BINGO! I saw that too....and not one word about any seminary training either....so he isn't a pastor..right?

rightasrain 2 years, 4 months ago

There you are...more evidence that ASU is nothing but a degree mill placing sheepskins in the hands of incompetent blacks, and those blacks are the majority teachers in the DCSS, School Superintendent, church "leaders", etc. It's all about reparations.

MRKIA 2 years, 4 months ago

I RECALL BUBBAVET_RU CIMMENTING THAT WHILE THE REST OF US WERE ASLEEP HIM AND COACH WERE BUSY TRYING TO BLOCK MRS. PRICE AND THWART THE CRCT TRIBUNAL. HEY BUBBAVET, YOU AND COACH MIGHT AS WELL WENT TO SLEEP. ALL YOU COULD COME UP WITH WAS 2 LAME DUCKS THAT WON'T FLY. HHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.......

Bubbavet_rureel 2 years, 4 months ago

Sorry, I voted for Dr. Price. I am to busy to follow local politics. I have moved to the National level.

I will povide links to my post and comments.

Semi-retired from the local scence - The Real National Deal !

MRKIA 2 years, 4 months ago

MRKIA GOT YOUR TONGUE AGAIN??? I MIGHT AS WELL KEEP IT. YEAH, GO AHEAD MOVE ON DOWN THE LINE. COME BACK WITH YOUR "A" GAME NEXT TIME. I'LL BE HERE WITH EXTRA SHARP TEETH.

waltspecht 2 years, 4 months ago

It is a shame this Board didn't have the courage to say "You filed your application late, you incorrectly supplied the wrong documentation, you didn't pay a filing fee. Therefore we will no longer entertain your application for Independant status on the Ballot. Of course that would take courage, which apparently is lacking among these Board members. Are they trying to set a precident where filing fees are optional.

LuLu 2 years, 4 months ago

Yes, but that would take this thing called "common sense", which is in extreme short supply around here. It really is mind-boggling, isn't it? Our "officials" make my eyes bleed!

albanyherald1 2 years, 4 months ago

Common sense ain't so common anymore. LOL

missdaisy 2 years, 4 months ago

There are no formalities to become a pastor/reverend. I had a buddy that once ordered a divinity degree from an ad out of a comic book. He had a Doctor of Divinity degree from the Church of Research. By using the term pastor/reverend, community activist thinks it gives them some degree of credibility.

agirl_25 2 years, 4 months ago

OMG missdaisy....I love it...I gotta run out and find a comic book today so I can get a Divinity Degree and become a Pastor (or do I have to call myself a Pastorette?). Thanks so much for the heads up on that.

bigbob 2 years, 4 months ago

Setting things up so the black pastor can get on the ballot to run against Price. Starting to smell already.

hotdog 2 years, 4 months ago

Sometimes I wonder if people actually know how racist they sound....how is this setting things up...Who is seting it up? If he has met the qualifications according to the law fine but if not then congrats to the winner(Dr Price)...oh and by the way you can get a degree in just about any field(including medicine) on line....

Jacob 2 years, 4 months ago

Sometimes I wonder why people choose to opine on matters that they are clearly ignorant of. Tell us more about that medical degree one can aquire on- line..

Sister_Ruby 2 years, 4 months ago

Hey who cares if stuff is true or not anymore? Just make it up as you go, just like the President does.

jglass 2 years, 4 months ago

waltspecht, you "sunk" that nail!!! It is true......no courage!!!!

southwestga 2 years, 4 months ago

hmm, actually you cannot get an MD online. it requires four years of a good college to even qualify, then only about 1/3 of applicants are accepted. Then it's a grueling four yeats of medical school, then usually at least three more years of internship and residency. Then state licensing tests and annual continuing education requirements. Most specialities also have rigorous continuing exams. Congrats to Dr. Lane!

Tonto 2 years, 4 months ago

It is exactly because of the continued racially charged retoric that the elections commission has to ensure each I is dotted and T crossed so there can be no reasonable challange to their decision. If it requires a couple days work to ensure everyone knows a fair assesment is done, that's a good windmill to tilt at.

agirl_25 2 years, 4 months ago

Yo, hotdog...look down here at Tonto's post...did you read what he said...if they didn't make it so racially charged then no one would give a rat's patootie and everyone would get away with what they have gotten away with in the past...but it ain't gonna happen anymore. I think they know someone is watching. No, they KNOW they are being observed, closely. Now I am about to be a racist I suppose so get ready, get your fingers poised over the keyboards and ready to strike.......for I say to Tonto...thanks, from your Kemosabe...(or was he supposed to say that to me? I never can remember who Kemosabe is.) Or speaking of windmills...should I have said, "keep tilting at them Don Quixote."........?

Sister_Ruby 2 years, 4 months ago

How many signatures did Terrance Wilson submit? Only 96 were certified....less than 25% of those needed. How many were submitted? Were any submitted that were not certified? Is there any evidence of fraudulent signatures? Who knows the answers to these questions? Who will ask the Elections Board these questions? If fraud is suspected, what action could be taken? Lots of good questions.

Tonto 2 years, 4 months ago

agril-25....Appreciate you proving my point. I never said "they", I included all. I never said "get away with", I said dot the I's and cross the T's because someone would complain of bias if the entire process was not done A-Z no matter how obvious the conclusion may be. I never said anyone was a racist...but there are a lot of racist comments that folks seem to think are just plain facts.

Tonto called the Ranger "Kemosabe". I think it means dumb*#@ in cherokee.

None

by Tonto

agirl_25 2 years, 4 months ago

Kemosabe means trusty scout or faithful friend. Contrary to popular belief, this term is actually native american. And, yer welcome...hahahahaha........

MRKIA 2 years, 4 months ago

JUDGING FROM THE ORGANISATIONAL SKILLS DISPLAYED THUS FAR IN HIS ATTEMPT TO QUALIFY, I WOULD SAY THAT MR HEARD WILL NOT HAVE ENOUGH CERTIFIED SIGNATURES. HIS COHORTS WERE APPROACHING ANYONE AND EVERYONE TO SIGN THEIR PETITION. THERE ARE A LOT OF BOGUS SIGNATURES SUBMITTED. DR. PRICE WOULD STILL BEAT HIM ANYWAY.

tywebb 2 years, 4 months ago

I bet the agency that just got busted sending out voter registration forms to dead people, illegals, dogs, cats, etc. got their mailing list from Heards list of petition signatures.

Sister_Ruby 2 years, 4 months ago

I still haven't had my questions answered. How many signatures did Terrance Wilson submit? We know how many were certified. Anybody working on this?