Squawk of the Day - August 16, 2012

"As a veteran who fought for our flag, I am very disappointed in some of our prominent American athletes just standing there holding their bouquet of flowers and not paying the proper respect during the playing of our national anthem."

Comments

waltspecht 1 year, 8 months ago

Regretably, it is the way they were taught. They are more full of themselves, their Coaches and their Agents than they are their Country. The Country simply provides them with a platform to display themselves. There are some that aren't that way, but they are in the minority. You didn't see that in the Shooting Sports, did you?

FlunkyMonkey 1 year, 8 months ago

I expect no less since President Jackass has been photographed more than once refusing to show the proper respect during the playing of the National Anthem...If President Jackass doesn't do it, why should anyone else? As the daughter of a veteran, I was TAUGHT at an early age the National Anthem (I had trouble with the tune, but over time, I learned it), I was also taught not only how to show respect during our National Anthem, but I was also taught to show respect to our flag by placing my hand over my heart, how to display her, how to fold her, how to store her and how to lay her to rest when she has given her all.

rightasrain 1 year, 8 months ago

Spot on. Isn't it amazing that the Democrats' mascot IS a Jackass! They certainly represent their mascot well.

chinaberry25 1 year, 8 months ago

No, this is not Obama's fault. I am no lover of O, but this was going on before he was ever in office. We have raised a narcissic society that cares about no one but themselves. This includes their family. The poorer you are, the more respect you have. I am not talking about poverty in Albany of which they are given everything. I am talking about someone who has to work hard for everything they have and are glad for it. If you are given the very toilet paper you use, then you only will ever care for yourself. Having done without makes you more appreciative. These athletes are just doing what the very students in Albany do. You will accept money for welfare and not even stand for the Pledge to the Flag.

FryarTuk 1 year, 8 months ago

Lighten up! I watched a fair portion of the Olympic games and didn't see anything disrespectful or untoward regarding the US Flag or our National Anthem. Overwhelming majority of the participants were awestruck with tears in their eyes and a lot of happiness. I am a veteran, a senior citizen and an Eagle Scout and I thought the USA folks and their achievements were great. This is a time for celebration not grousing.

PatrickY2K 1 year, 8 months ago

This squawk is a good example of how "the glass is half empty" with most topics in the Squawkbox...and it only took until the second comment to blame Obama for it! Don't congratulate the athletes for bring home the most medals; don't congratulate them for representing our country for the 2+ weeks; rather, complain that you don't like the way the stood on the medal stand.

Someone has too much time on their hands.

FlunkyMonkey 1 year, 8 months ago

I am not blaming Obama---but I was taught almost from the cradle that when you hear the National Anthem, you straighten your back, stand tall and show your pride in your posture AND you put your right hand over your heart, slightly bow your head in memory of all who have died and in deference to those who are active duty. Obama is the one that should set the example--HE DOESN'T... by the way, when the Olympics ended, my first squawk was THE UNIFORMS MAY HAVE BEEN MADE IN CHINA BUT THE SPIRIT IS PURE AMERICAN...

USTPC 1 year, 8 months ago

I commend the athletes and their accomplishments at the Olympics. I enjoyed watching the competitions that I could. But I was disappointed that some of the athletes chose not to show proper respect to the flag of our great country. What message do you think that sends to the rest of the world?

Are you old enough to remember the uproar at the 68 Olympics when some athletes raised their fists rather than put their hands across their hearts?What do you think would be the response if that were to happen today? With more people thinking along the lines that you appear to I can tell you it would not be anywhere close to what took place in 68.

As far as blaming Obama, right or wrong the leader shoulders the blame for the path the country is headed down. The leader of this country should set the example and when he does not show respect for the flag or the country why should anyone else? I have never seen a president act less American than the current one.

FlunkyMonkey 1 year, 8 months ago

AMEN---Those raised fists would probably get them a trip to the white house and a big tax cut. As for Obama acting less American, I agree. He acts like the country owes him something...

bubbasmithredneck 1 year, 8 months ago

Someone is always bitter over something. The Olympics were wonderful and the American Athletes did a great job in every aspect. Find something better to write about.

RedEric 1 year, 8 months ago

Micheal Phelps has won more medals than India. I find that beyond astounding. Of course with 1.5billion people in India they have other things on their mind.

rock 1 year, 8 months ago

if you fought for the flag as you have stated, then you also fought for the right of the 92 percent of all americans that have never worn a military uniform to express their first amendment rights. So what if they stand on the platform and not place hand over heart. I have seen many veterans from the different organizations here in town stand and place hand over heart, with legs apart and slouched. We were all taught the position of attention the first 10 minutes of boot camp. Just because WE have worn the uniform for the masses, does not give the right to judge. WE need to set the example by our respect. We as veterans can salute the colors, but I never see anyone do this, I see vets standing with their covers on and hand over heart, again legs apart, slouched and dirty. WE need to be the example and if these athletes choose not place hand over heart, who cares. They performed to excellance very few of us achieve. Salute them and stand proud for our AMERICAN atheletes.

waltspecht 1 year, 8 months ago

As near as I can remember, if you are outdoors you wear the cover. Don't you?

rock 1 year, 8 months ago

In civilian clothes it is mandated to REMOVE a cover, place hand over heart and stand at ATTENTION. ONLY active duty in uniform are to remain covered and render a hand salute. HOWEVER it is law that veterans of the military may remain covered in civilian clothes, stand at attention and render a hand salute on the raising or passing of the colors. But, your nasty john deere, or your old worn faded I never left vietnam baseball hats should be removed and hand placed over heart. So unless you are still active duty and in uniform, or rendering a hand salute in civilian clothes, no wearing a cover outdoors is not justified.

waltspecht 1 year, 8 months ago

Now if I remember correctly, The Flag Code is simply a reccomendation, carrying no force of law. I also recollect recently it was approved for Veterans to render a hand salute. Plus, members of the American Legion and VFW have worn their covers for as long as I can remember. I have often been told I am too much of a stickler for showing respect to our Flag. If you read the whole code you would note it isn't supposed to be used as a clothing item either. So which is worse? I have hit the point where I am glad it is shown any respect. Even by old crippled up folks that can't stand at attention with their John Deere hats. Plus if they Served in Vietnam, I think they have the right to wear the hat if they want to.

FlunkyMonkey 1 year, 8 months ago

WE should be led by whomever occupies the oval office. And, as COMMANDER IN CHIEF, he should be the first one to offer a salute and set the example for this nation....

billybob 1 year, 8 months ago

I must have missed this. I watched a good bit of the Olympic coverage and didn't see any athletes, American or otherwise, behaving in a disrespectful manner. Of course there was the female American gymnast who had a scowl on during the medal ceremony, but it wasn't while the American national anthem was being played, as she did not win gold, hence the scowl.

alleebrin 1 year, 8 months ago

Folks, all these inherent values start at HOME!! Now do you really expect the parents out there today to instill these values in their children when they didn't get this training? The parents are too busy working and trying to afford their kids what the kids nextdoor have. SAD!