Area church helps feed the hungry

Jason Spears, pastor of non-denominational Providence Church, told members of the Dougherty County Rotary Club his church has partnered with other organizations to feed the hungry using low-cost packets of grains and nutrients.

ALBANY — On any given night, up to 14,000 people in Dougherty County are at risk for going to bed hungry. That’s what Jason Spears, pastor of Providence Church in Albany, told members of the Dougherty County Rotary Club last week.

Spears was speaking on the experiences of his non-denominational church in feeding hungry people in Dougherty County and the area.

Spears and his wife, Lisa, came to Albany five years ago wanting to be a part of a church which would do “anything it could” to make a positive impact on the community, Spears said.

The couple began to study the basic needs of the community and found the issue of “food insecurity” to be the overriding problem.

In their initial effort to feed the hungry, Spears and about 50 others raised money to provide Thanksgiving dinner for some 300 people in a small community.

“In some of the homes there were dirt floors or holes in the bottoms of their trailers,” Spears said.

According to Spears, it was information from the 2010 census and Feeding America, a nationwide organization dedicated to feeding the hungry, which showed that nearly 15 percent of the Doughtery County’s population is food insecure, with most of those being children and the elderly.

“Proverbs 14:31 says that anyone who is kind to the needy honors God and we want to be a group of people who honor God,” Spears said.

On each of the tables at the Doublegate Country Club, where Rotary held its lunch meeting, were samples of the food packets Providence Church and its partners use to feed the hungry as often and easily as possible and for the lowest cost.

Within each packet was a mixture of easily prepared grains and nutrients to provide six meals. The cost of a packet? $1.50.

Last December, according to Spears, around 200 volunteers came together in the “old Belk building” downtown and packaged 104,112 meals for the hungry in just three hours.

The building was provided for the event by Albany businessman Bob Brooks, which helped keep the total cost to just $25,000 — all of it raised by volunteers.

“It wasn’t just the church,” Spears said. “It was people in the business community, families and individuals. It was a great, great day and a lot of fun. We got to thinking what we could do if we had a little bit more time and how much greater the impact if more people got together and said ‘we’d like to be a part of this.’”

Spears said the food packets are stored at The Salvation Army. Partners in feeding the hungry, such as the SOWEGA Council on Aging, Love Thy Neighbor and The Anchorage, can easily pick them up for use or distribution.

Contact Providence Church at (229) 888-8055 or visit its website at providencepraise.com.

Comments

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 8 months ago

Another do-gooder bunch trying to earn their way to Heaven by feeding the Hungry. Well guess what guys...........there are way more "hungry" out there than you can feed. Watch the "hungry" leave the table, go outside and light up a smoke and get on their cell phones talking to who-knows-who for their next fix. Have you really "helped" anybody? Or have you enabled someone to avoid personal responsibility? A good question...........

But if it makes you feel better and if it makes you more certain of your entrance to heaven....well then go ahead on.

Amazed2 1 year, 8 months ago

Well Sister Ruby honey you are a great example of Gods creation. He created lot of different people and loves them all including STUPID persons like you.

Sherwood_Eagle_Alum 1 year, 8 months ago

Sister Ruby, I am ashamed to live in the same city, state, country as you. Thank the Lord that everyone doesn't share your view.

I can only pray that you were playing Devil's Advocate, and that you don't really feel that way.

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 8 months ago

Please move, then. Since you have that SCA degree you will undoubtedly go far!

FlunkyMonkey 1 year, 8 months ago

There are truly people in Albany who dont have things like cell phones and cigarettes. What they have are houses falling down around their ears and empty bellies because the unemployment ran out, or a medical bill left them broke, or the death of a spouse left them with a broken heart and empty checking accounts. Cynicism is alive and well and living in Albany, Georgia...

reb_arty1863 1 year, 8 months ago

Hungry how? They all have food stamps.

chinaberry25 1 year, 8 months ago

I have never heard of this church. Anyone?? Another non-profit cropping up.

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 8 months ago

The church is legit. I do know that much.

Amazed2 1 year, 8 months ago

Chinaberry you obviously dont go to church around here. Jason and his wife have an established ministry right near the Albany Mall at Providence Church. Been there for several years and yes I am sure Jason and his wife would welcome you and your family too at church and or feed you if you were hungry. They are not "another" start up as you call it. God Bless you.

Sherwood_Eagle_Alum 1 year, 8 months ago

If you haven't heard of the church it must be a scam?

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 8 months ago

Drive around town and you will see a few dozen scam "churches" and "ministries". Eyes open.

chinaberry25 1 year, 8 months ago

Know that I am getting cynical like Sister Ruby. And that is not a slam on sister Ruby. But look at Albany's past history. Low income housing, free food, accommodating the poor. Then all of a sudden we look around and that is about all we have in Albany. The taxpayers have moved away and the poor have moved in like a flock of birds. We need to attract folks who want to come here and not come for a handout. At this point we are in now, cannot think of why anyone would want to come to Albany.

New_In_Albany 1 year, 8 months ago

Sister_Ruby. What a mean thing to say.

FlunkyMonkey 1 year, 8 months ago

And those that point to food stamps probably have never tried to apply for food stamps. My husband suffered a stroke which left me literally counting pennies to buy groceries. I applied for food stamps and was told that i made $10 TOO MUCH a month to qualify. While others were judging me, a church fed my family.

agirl_25 1 year, 8 months ago

My sister's husband had a heart attack when they lived in Toledo, Ohio. He worked for Chrysler and had it during a long and horrible time in the auto industry's history of layoffs and strikes. She went to apply for food stamps and was told "we will let you have them but it will cost you $80.00".....cute, huh? She got angry and told the woman, "you fool, if I had $80.00 I certainly would not be here asking for food stamps."......

agirl_25 1 year, 8 months ago

Flunky......don't know if it was recent or not, but hope your husband is recovered and well...know how devastating that can be. As a former home health nurse I know what a family can go thru with a stroke patient and know the care required when they return home. I do hope all is well.

Cartman 1 year, 8 months ago

You cannot control how the recipient of charity uses your gift. You can only control your own actions in giving it. You place it in the hands of the Lord. He controls what happens to it once you let it go. May the Lord bless this ministry and everyone who contributed to it with their prayers; financially; or with their labor.

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 8 months ago

Jesus told His disciples to "be as wise as serpents and as innocent as doves". Do you think your approach is very wise?

Cartman 1 year, 8 months ago

Wise? no. And I'm not advocating purposely wasteful squandering of resources. My point was simply that a genuinely charitable act is no way diminished because of the recipient's character or conduct. I fear that the deadbeats and false Christians have miscalibrated your care-meter to the skeptical side. Don't discard the notion that there are truly needy and appreciative folks out there and genuine caring Christians who want to help them. And don't be picking on me. You're my big sis.

MRKIA 1 year, 8 months ago

WELL SAID CARTMAN. THERE ARE NEEDY BEING SCANDALIZED BECAUSE OF THE GREEDY.

ittybittyme 1 year, 8 months ago

Chinaberry...this is my church...and WE ARE NOT ANOTHER NONPROFIT! I love my church..noone is perfect, but we feel this is something we are called to do as a congregation....why don't you join for worship and find out for yourself! The church is located behind the wash and fold on Stuart Ave...anyone is welcome!

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 8 months ago

Everywhere I roll around this town are huge churches, many are huge mega-million dollar mostrosities such as......well you know the ones I speak of. Many others are being built. Millions upon millions of dollars on buildings that are used maybe 20 hours per week (a week has 7 x 24 = 168 hours, so that's less than 15%). VERY FEW of these churches work together. The largest is too righteous to rub shoulders with other churches, fearing some sin might rub off on them.....from other, less spiritual Christians. All these millions of dollars could eliminate poverty and hunger NEXT WEEK. But as Jesus said "The poor you will always have with you". Meaning what? Obama would say it's because of the Bastard Rich who take all the money (by working hard, I say!). Cynics like me would also say that you could give each and every person in Dougherty County a million dollars next Friday and within a year many of those that are currently "poor and destitute" will be poor and destitute again, if they are still alive at all. Churches need to work together. But they should also remember the Apostle Paul's admonition "He who will not work, neither shall he eat".

hotdog 1 year, 8 months ago

If the majority of people thought like Ruby, Albany will never progress.....wait a minute, it doesn't

Sherwood_Eagle_Alum 1 year, 8 months ago

So what have you done to rectify the situation in Albany? Sitting behind your computer and complaining on AlbanyHerald.com doesn't count.

Being cynical and apathetic doesn't make anything better, when in fact, it does the exact opposite.

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 8 months ago

You don't know me, Sherwood Eagle Punk.

Sherwood_Eagle_Alum 1 year, 8 months ago

I'm quite glad that I don't. You seem pleasant enough, though.

tryingtowalkinhiswill 1 year, 8 months ago

I thank God for pastors that live out their faith.

bubbavet 1 year, 8 months ago

Wasn't it Billy Joe Royal who sang the lyric "Before you criticize and accuse walk a mile in my shoes" May God bless him and the church.

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 8 months ago

He also sang about "The Games People Play".

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 8 months ago

I'd ask that all of you holy rolling do-gooders take a month.....or two if necessary....and just count up all the places in this County that are giving handouts each and every day of the week. Then after you've finished counting (and you might need a big calculator) then ask yourself how much all those continuous handouts are really accomplishing in terms of SOLVING A PROBLEM. By SOLVING I don't mean giving a person a fish........I mean teaching a person to fish. And everybody just get up off your high horse because I personally do plenty and have all my life for the needy but I want you to assess what YOU are really accomplishing by what YOU do.

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 8 months ago

And then take another month or two and add up all that the Government (thanks to the taxpayers) are doing for the poor and needy (which keeps them poor and needy for the rest of their natural lives and most likely their children, grandchildren, great grandchildren.......etc etc)

Jesus said be wise. He said don't throw pearls to swine. I know it makes you feel good to hand a guy a fish sandwhich. Why not train him to catch fish, bake bread, and make sandwiches?

Mr_Heatmiser 1 year, 8 months ago

Sort of surprised you don't realize that there are at least a dozen organizations in Albany dedicated to teaching people the life skills they need to bring themselves out of poverty. In fact, one of them literally teaches people to bake bread.

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 8 months ago

Apparently everybody is doing their own thing for one reason or another. How's about people pool their Resources and their Missions and make a bigger difference? Is it that they just want to feel good? Are they measuring their successes and the gains of people week to week? Or are they just passing out a fish and See Ya Next Time? These are good questions and yes I'm advocating an intimidating position (not advocating for Satan, though) and I want you all to think about what you're DOING versus what you are ACCOMPLISHING. As a Wise Man once Said: Don't just wish, intend. Don't just intend, do. Just don't do, achieve.

As a Major Prophetess, I must unapologetically say these things. Not for my glory, but for The Giver of the Gifts.

agirl_25 1 year, 8 months ago

Mr Heatmiser, I don't live in Albany, actually don't know that much about Albany since I left I sort of blocked it from my mind...sort of like a POW would, when they were released...but I had no idea there were so many organizations that taught life skills.....and you mean there are actually places that teach how to BAKE BREAD? I find that fascinating. What other skills are taught? I truly find it amazing that there are places that people are taught basic skills...truly amazing. I guess I have lived in a bubble all my life, huh?

Mr_Heatmiser 1 year, 8 months ago

Not sure if this is some sort of attempt at sarcasm or what. If it is, I don't get it.

agirl_25 1 year, 8 months ago

No it isn't....I truly was not aware that there were organizations in Albany that taught skills like baking bread. Seriously, I don't pay attention anymore to what goes on in Albany other than what I read here on this blog. I no longer live in Albany. I no longer subscribe to the Herald print edition and read the news online on MSN.com and CNN.com. I am not an avid TV watcher so cannot tell you much about what is going on in the way of TV or Reality TV. To be honest I do live in a bubble and am content. I read a lot of news online, and a lot of books and magazines and listen to a lot of audio books and do a lot of proof listening for an online free audiobook service.....Libribox.org. so my life is busy. I do find it very interesting that people need to be taught skills as simple as baking bread but by the same token I find it sad that I bet those same people have children. So it saddens me that they can procreate but don't have a simple skill required to feed a child. We have become a nation that requires us to take care of each other to the extent that we are responsible for one another whether we want to be or not? I personally don't want to be. I am sorry you felt my question was sarcasm but I assure you it was not. I guess I should have realized with all the negative things said about Albany and the makeup of the population and people always saying that it has such a high number of those on assistance it would be only natural I suppose, that many would need to be taught life skills. Take it as you like...it was an honest question.....not sarcasm.

Oh...... and PS....good luck with your work......I mean that sincerely......

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 7 months ago

And what are you proposing hotdog?

lindajoy 1 year, 8 months ago

I see a church that is doing good things for all people..just like Jesus did. We are His hands and feet on this earth. Loving God, Loving People and Serving the World. Noone can "earn" their way into Heaven. It's only a relationship with God through His son Jesus. So looks like my son Jason/Lisa and Jesus are "do-gooders" and I'm so glad I'm in that family. BTW, if you ever need a helping hand, Providence will be glad to help. Grace and Blessings to you.

lindajoy 1 year, 8 months ago

Jesus went around healing the sick, feeding the hungry, teaching,etc. what's wrong w/my son Jason/daughter Lisa & Providence church doing the same. Loving God, Loving People and Serving the World. Of course people criticized Jesus who did no wrong. Guess Providence Church is in good company! Son, keep doing what God instructed you guys to do..I'm so proud of all of you "do-gooders" __

rorschach 1 year, 8 months ago

God bless you Jason. Keep doing what the Lord asks you to do. And to you Sister_Ruby, may the Lord bring peace into your life.

lindajoy 1 year, 7 months ago

Sister Ruby, what are you doing to help the less fortunate?