Bishop kicks off re-election campaign

U.S. Rep. Sanford Bishop, D-Albany, officially kicks off his re-election campaign on Monday afternoon. Bishop will be seeking a return to his seat in the U.S. House of Representatives on Nov. 6.

ALBANY, Ga. -- The race to determine who will represent Southwest Georgia in the U.S. House of Representatives is now officially in high gear.

U.S. Rep. Sanford Bishop, D-Albany, seeking his 11th term in office, kicked off his re-election campaign at his local headquarters at the Largo Shopping Plaza on Dawson Road Monday.

Supporters gathered Monday afternoon to officially kick off the incumbent's re-election campaign. Among those present were Dougherty County Coroner-elect Michael Fowler, clergy from area churches, Albany City Commissioner Roger Marietta and local civil rights activist Shirley Sherrod.

While those gathered enjoyed refreshments and musical entertainment, campaign officials signed up volunteers. Bishop, meanwhile, completed a call to Washington before taking the stage.

"(From my experience) I have gained the tools that have empowered me to work on your behalf," Bishop said. "I think, I hope, voters will extend my contract for two more years. I have tried to make a difference."

Bishop listed his committee positions for supporters, including his involvement with the Base Realignment and Closure Process over recent years.

He also made a point of mentioning his support for the country's new health care initiative.

"People shouldn't have to choose between going to the grocery store and getting their medicine," he said.

Bishop will be challenged by either Rick Allen or John House, who are locked in a Republican runoff, in the General Election Nov. 6.

Comments

Sister_Ruby 2 years ago

Oh Lawd don't get me started on this worthless so-called Rep. He don't rep me. His phone won't ring when something important to the future of the USA is up for a vote.

Shinedownfan 2 years ago

Sister_Ruby, I cant even begin to tell you how much I enjoy your comments! I can't count the number of times I have laughed out loud as I have read them, and they are not only humorous but make total sense! Don't ever change!

KaosinAlbany 2 years ago

I have to agree. I love your witty comments, Sister_Ruby.

agirl_25 2 years ago

I personally think Bishop is one of the most worthless and useless pieces of human particles ever to sit in the office to represent us in the US Congress. I do believe there was a time, a very brief time, when he did some good for the populace of SW Georgia. He is like most Congressmen who make the job of representing us in DC a lifelong career.....he becomes arrogant and stagnant and soon looks down on us as if we were his serfs and this was his serfdom and he was the lord and master and he only had to answer to his favorites. I cannot count the many times I have contacted Bishop's office via email, via the USPS, by telephone (only to have my call answered by someone who spoke ebonics and I am sorry but I DO NOT speak ebonics) and that in itself is a disgrace. He forgets he is our representative, elected to work for us, to work for the good of the all people, to work towards our goals, not for his selfish agenda or that which his friends will benefit. I suppose I am the wrong color and yes, I am stating it is a racial bias I feel for why do I not reap the same benefits that those of other skin tones do? It truly is time for a change in SW Georgia......time to clean house and get the stangnet stench out and get a fresh new scent in the house.

chinaberry25 2 years ago

All he has to say is farm bill and the farmers roll over and vote for him. Just as bad as folks voting for someone just because they are but. But he will get re-elected because they have fixed the districts for this. It will take a very strong black person running against him, to beat him. Is there one out there???

FryarTuk 2 years ago

I am for term limits in all elective offices. With that said I will report two events which have relevance. A while back my wife had some serioous problems with Medicare hospital portion and was abruptly discontinued. Their workers here were non-responsive so we called Sen. Saxby Shameless office who was as useless as a hog with a side saddle. We went to Rep. Bishop's office and her circumstance was favourably resolved in a matter of a few days. I will vote for him because of this reason. My wife needed treatment critically and he was the one that listened. I yet favour term limits.

LuLu 2 years ago

You will vote for him because of ONE good thing he did? Single-issue voters are the reason we ended up with Hussein in the White House.

Sister_Ruby 2 years ago

Don't forget he's voting for Ron Paul too. That's Two Strikes.

agirl_25 2 years ago

ohhhhhh i shudder..you mentioned Saxby Shameless and Bishop in the same post.....ohhhhh ohhhh ohhhhh.....and btw... I never saw a hog with a side saddle but bet it is a sight to behold....thanks for the image...

ObjectiveEyes 2 years ago

During Bishop's 20 year tenure in Washington, we have seen federal spending, federal debt and deficits explode. He has not responded with one singe piece of legislation to reign in spending. For the first two years of the Obama administration, he voted lock-step with Pelosi and the Democrats. He voted for the boondoggle we call Obamacare and when offered the opportunity to repeal, once the truth came out, failed to do so. He has personally sponsored about 6 pieces of legislation in all these years, most being insignificant for the most part. I believe we can all agree that Washington DC (i.e., the Federal government) is "broken." I've said it before, I will say it again, Sanford Bishop is part of the PROBLEM with DC, not the SOLUTION. His scandals and controversies are well documented...Pigford, peeing in a cup on an airline, scholarships for friends and family. I could go on, but...Bishop should be the poster child for term limits. I have contacted his office literally dozens of times. If he's a fiscal conservative, I'm a major league baseball player. It is way past time for him to retire to his 6 figure retirement and top-shelf healthcare plan.

agirl_25 2 years ago

Yes, and if you are white, you can bet your sweet patootie you won't get any answers to any questions you ask about anything to do with grants. I tell them I read about all the grant money some nice lady and some Preacherman got and how they help so many poor. You get the run around and lots and lots of other people's names and addresses (email of course) to contact. How do I know? Well because I love to stir the pot and I always ask about how I too can find grant money like others have been fortunate enough to find and I always tell them up front I am neither poor nor black....oh no......do you think I made a boo boo? Of couse I did...and that of course is when it became a racial thing. And that is when it becomes my complaint. It becomes my COWFORD....not my Pigford. Bishop should be the poster boy for reverse racism!!!! MOOOOOOOOOOO

43cop 2 years ago

The time has come, get out Bishop before the people of this district "kick" you out. We have had enought of your arrogance and if for no other reason, one of you main supporters is Shirley Sherrod and this should seal your defeat. Maybe Pelosi will hire you as one of her servants since California doesn't have enought sense to "kick" her out since her husband "owns" all the votes in her district. You have been absolutely useless as far as the Dept. of Agriculture, the military, a vote to defeat Obamacare and to assure your family members had jobs. The time has come, IT'S OVER BISHOP.

Shinedownfan 2 years ago

Need to copy and paste Waltspecht's comment from S-O-T-D (8/21/12) and put it here... the part about Bishop and family...

tywebb 2 years ago

good luck to rick allen and/or john house. but, i think we all know, bishop will win again because of the make-up of this district. even if ALL things were equal politically, he will win because the ones running against him share the same sin.....the color of their skin. i own property in Hellbany, but don't live there, so I can't vote. BUT my pessimism shouldn't keep anyone else from trying to vote him out!!!!!

agirl_25 2 years ago

You are probably right, and it is because of the make up of the district as you said. Sad but true. And another thing is if you stopped any 5 people on the street in one of the neighborhoods and asked what he has done for them or the area they would have a blank look on their face and not be able to tell you. Sad, sad, sad. Better yet, ask them who their representative is from their district....that should really throw them for a loop.

tywebb 2 years ago

they'll say....."it don't matta......he's my boyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!

VSU 2 years ago

Don't worry, Bishop will win again. Don't want him to win, but he will. And a few years down the road, we will be saying the same thing.

boyoboy 2 years ago

Unfortunately your right.

agirl_25 2 years ago

Who had that saying at the close of his show...some newcaster?? "and so it goes".....yes boyoboy.....he is right.

waltspecht 2 years ago

To defeat Bishop, every registered voter will have to cast their ballot in November. You can vote by absentee, early or on Election day. Doesn't matter which. Make sure you, and everyone else you know gets out and votes. Even with the specialized shape of District 2, it won't help Bishop is there is a 100% turnout of the opposition to his re-election. No matter what tricks they pull, they don't have the Legal Voters to defeat a true turnout.

Cartman 2 years ago

Bishop is an embarrassment.