Former Early County Sheriff's investigator indicted

BLAKELY, Ga. -- A former Early County Sheriff's Investigator and the son of Early County Sheriff Jimmie Murkerson, has been indicted in federal court for extortion and lying to FBI agents in connection to purchase of anabolic steroids, court documents show.

Jarrod (J.D.) Murkerson was released on a $10,000 bond following an initial court appearance Friday in U.S. District Court in Albany. An arraignment has been set for 10 a.m. Thursday before U.S. Magistrate Tommy Langstaff.

Murkerson has been charged by the U.S. Attorney’s office with extortion by a public official, attempting to possess with the intent to distribute anabolic steroids, four counts of unlawful use of a communication facility or device, and false statements.

Murkerson, who left the sheriff’s office to work at a private firm before being indicted, is alleged to have committed the crimes in July 2011 when he was still employed as an investigator with the Early County Sheriff’s Office.

Comments

spookj6 1 year, 8 months ago

It's amazing that this is an indictment of a sheriff son, and there are no negative comment about this officer being hired by his father being charge. I guess it's not Dr. Murfee, Velvet Riggins, or any other person that certain citizen tends to make negative comments about. If we are going to make these comments, let make them for everybody. The investigator might need Maurice King to get him off.

gotanyfacts 1 year, 8 months ago

What negative comment do you propose?

DoctorDorite 1 year, 8 months ago

Another reason Georgia should pass a law restricting Sheriffs from hiring family members to work under them. If they want a career in law-enforcment then they should do so in another county or juristiction, not working under daddy / brother / uncle / cousin. Nothing good ever comes these types of arraingments.

agonized 1 year, 8 months ago

I agree with you, DoctorDorite. Even if Daddy/Son do nothing of this sort, it just creates a morale problem in the force. I would NOT want to work for my parents for a host of reasons, but I just wouldn't want anyone to think I didn't get my job on my merits alone. Of course, my parents worked in education, which is FULL of nepotism. Nepotism always seems more prevalent in government jobs. Hmmm.

agirl_25 1 year, 8 months ago

Here comes a negative comment-----------> I had no idea Sonnyboy worked for Daddy but had heard all sorts of rumors over the years about Daddy's sherrifin methods and none of them were good. I don't believe for a minute Daddy was unaware of Sonny's activities either. I do believe Daddy's activies were too widespread throughout the county not to be aware of Sonny's (if you get my drift, wink wink wink). I too agree with agonized and DoctorDorite....nepotism is so widespread and harmful to us all. We have so many incompetents in jobs of importance to us and have to rely on some idiot who is someone's third cousin who is too stupid to get a job on merit alone. In the case of sheriff, for instance, I do NOT believe the position should be allowed be a lifetime career. I think there should be a limit put on how long one can serve. My opinion and remember I am entitled to it. If he did indeed do what he is alleged to have done I hope he is punished to the full extent the law allows. As in the case of Riggins that spookj6 speaks of...if she is found guilty of the crime she is alleged to have committed I hope she too will be punished to the full extent that the law allows.

madavenport 1 year, 8 months ago

Ten years ago I knew this day would come! But one thing, if this were any normal citizen our bond would have been higher and we would still be in jail!!!! Just stating facts!