Dear GOP: A penny for my thoughts

Mac Gordon

Mac Gordon

I can’t tell the Republican National Committee that my check is in the mail.

But I can tell them that my penny will soon arrive in their box. Be looking for it, please.

They asked for it. They solicited — through U.S. Sen. John McCain’s recent letter to me — a contribution for GOP candidate Mitt Romney’s presidential bid.

I sent them one: a whole penny.

It’ll likely be the last time I do so. I rarely give money to political candidates, Republican or Democrat.

Say I sent $100 instead of one cent. Either way, I’m not going to get a cabinet post, and it is unlikely I and the Better Half will ever be invited to one of those posh parties on the White House lawn.

McCain wrote to me: “President Obama’s campaign is unparalleled in the amount of money they have already raised and spent, in the number of TV ads they are running, and in the amount of deferential and unquestioning media coverage he personally gets.”

Sir, Mr. Obama is, after all, the president. Yours and mine. Do you think the media are going to ignore the most powerful person on earth? Surely not. And, I’ve heard him and his policies questioned repeatedly by all of the arch-conservative talking heads and leaning-right reporters. Mr. McCain, have you ever heard of FOX News? They question him on a 24/7 basis.

Please allow me to opine briefly on the presidential election:

n Former President George Bush left President Obama with a financial mess to try to repair. Progress has been agonizingly slow, I will admit, but nobody could have turned around the sorry economy that Obama inherited in four years.

n This latest round of rising gasoline prices will be a strong hindrance to Obama’s re-election chances. I know of no steps taken by the government that have worked to reduce prices at the pump. Obama has talked a good game of dipping into our oil reserves, but it hasn’t happened. I also think he should have allowed immediate expansion of the Keystone pipeline and he should not have imposed a moratorium on more drilling in the Gulf after the BP disaster.

n Forget the Medicare flap. I don’t think either candidate or party has the nerve to mess with seniors’ health-insurance program. It’s all rhetoric. They don’t scare me.

n I’ve not bought in completely on the new health care initiative. I just know that health care costs are breaking all of us. And come on Mr. Romney, Obama’s program is patterned after yours in Massachusetts. Tell the truth.

n I like it that Bin Laden is no longer a threat. Chalk that up to Mr. Obama and courageous Navy Seals.

n The more Republicans talk about abortion, the stronger Mr. Obama gets with women voters of all political persuasions.

n I’d love to know more about Romney’s plan to ensure that Iran does not employ a nuclear weapon. He says Obama has done nothing to deter that, but his only solution is the vague “American must be strong militarily.”

There you have it, a penny for my thoughts.

Mac Gordon is a retired reporter who lives near Blakely. He is on Medicare. He can be reached at macmarygordon@gmail.com.

Comments

Sister_Ruby 2 years ago

Another worthless piece of drivel from Mac Gordon, retired. Retired? Then retire and get out of my paper!!!!

tommybeall 2 years ago

your paper?.. i thought you thought that way... and speaking of "worthless drivel", when are YOU going to retire?..

Sister_Ruby 2 years ago

I got a plugged nickel for your thoughts, tb.

QUIK 2 years ago

Forget the election for a moment. What good is it to get the economy better and create millions of jobs when someone can't voice an opinion without being degraded!!! It’s a sad day when 'adults' can't debate a subject like adults. Oh well, such it is when some feel they have ownership of the editorial page. It seems to me that Mr. Gordon is one of those rare persons that look pass the letter next to the candidate’s name.

Sister_Ruby 2 years ago

"From now on, I must always admit in the affirmative when asked if I have ever contributed to a Republican’s run for the White House."

Looks past the D and R? Then how is it that he has never donated to an R? No, he's a yellow dog democrat whose brain that God gave him is just sitting idle.

gotanyfacts 2 years ago

Mac seems to avoid critical thinking in his commentary. In challenging the statement of "unquestioning media coverage", his own bias (or, lazy thinking) is highlighted. Examples:

Complaining that the media avoids critical questioning of this administration is the same as expecting non-coverage. (Logical only if Mac thinks that the only alternative to "deferential and unquestioning media coverage" is "to ignore" the President.)

Mac then says "arch-conservative talking heads and leaning-right reporters" at Fox News question the President's policies. You can draw two assumptions here. (1) Mac has to depend on Fox News to find reporters willing to question this administration, and (2) to question this administration, you have to be an arch-conservative talking head or a leaning-right reporter.

Mac's list of opinion points shows a similar lack of critical thinking and perhaps, voids in his understanding of the subjects he opines upon.

buddy 2 years ago

Mr. Mac....You're thoughts weren't worth a penny!

VSU 2 years ago

Sure you don't want to make it 2 pennies oh generous one?

tywebb 2 years ago

blaming bush again???? come on! you do know that the Dems controlled congress the last 2 years of bush and the 1st two of obumma, right? and for you to give obumma credit for obama bin laden....oops, sorry, osama bin laden is a joke. saddam hussein is no longer a threat.....do you give bush props for that??? didn't think so. you should've kept the penny.....these thoughts weren't worth it