Election Board disqualifies Heard (Updated and video added)

Rev. Lorenzo Heard speaks to former NAACP President William Wright following Friday's election board meeting. Members of the board voted against allowing Heard to be on the November ballot for the Dougherty County School System At-Large seat.

ALBANY — The Dougherty County Elections Board voted Friday to disqualify Lorenzo Heard as a possible independent candidate for the at-large school board seat.

The signatures of 2,911 registered Dougherty County voters were needed on the candidacy petition. County Elections officials certified just 1,672 signatures of the 3,258 submitted; 1,202 signatures were not certified when it became obvious Heard would not reach the required 2,911 threshold.

The Board also rejected Heard's bid because he failed to submit a true affidavit of candidacy and had failed to pay a $108 qualifying fee prior to an Aug. 3 noon deadline.

MOBILE USERS: Click here to view video from the meeting.

The Board vote was 4-0 with Lonzie White absent.

"I am not surprised by the Board's decision, in fact I expected it," Heard, the pastor at Greater 2nd Mt. Olive Baptist Church, said. "The was a lot of talk in the paper about me not paying my qualifying fee, but how can I pay a qualifying fee when the election office had rejected my candidacy affidavit?"

Heard attempted to qualify as an independent candidate on the final day of qualifying after Lane Price defeated incumbent School Board member Anita Williams-Brown in the July 31 Democratic Primary. There are no Republican candidates for the seat, which is elected at-large in the county.

Prior to the vote, Dougherty Elections Supervisor Ginger Nickerson confirmed that just before the noon qualifying deadline on Aug. 3, elections officials rejected Heard's notice of candidacy, which was brought to them by County Commissioner-elect Clinton Johnson after determining that it was a copy and not an affidavit.

The paperwork, which had been time stamped, was returned to Johnson, who then left the building. On Aug. 6, Heard arrived at the elections office with his petition signatures, and claimed the document Johnson presented three days earlier was an original affidavit.

"Later I asked him (Heard) to return with the true document, but I was informed it had been shredded," County Elections Supervisor Ginger Nickerson said.

"You can't just disqualify a candidate because of a mistake made by someone in the elections office," Heard's attorney, Maurice King, said. "They made the mistake. They should have accepted the document and the qualifying fee and given the Board the opportunity to reject the affidavit of candidacy. I don't think the person in the office had the legal authority to reject the petition.

King said Heard will take a few days to mull over his legal options.

"Rev. Heard has five days to file a writ of mandamus to place his name on the ballot in November or we can file for a stay of the election. Rev. Heard's name will be on the ballot," King said.

Last week the Board also rejected the candidacy of Terrance Wilson, who had attempted to get on the ballot as an independent against suspended District 3 BOE member Velvet Riggins, because he failed to obtain the required number of qualifying petition signatures.

Comments

tduncanspradley 2 years, 2 months ago

look at the video, he had the money to pay the fee but the board would not accept the fee bc they rejected him

Sister_Ruby 2 years, 2 months ago

he wasn't even there. Did his flunkee who took the copy of the form have the money with him? Heard didn't claim (in the video) to have attempted to pay at the time the copy of the form was submitted. You must listen carefully these days to politicians.

Momof3 2 years, 2 months ago

And there you have it folks.

Jacob 2 years, 2 months ago

and the hidden agenda failed again

Sister_Ruby 2 years, 2 months ago

Could someone please interpret the implications of "3,258 signatures submitted; 1,672 certified". What are the implications of this gap? How could this submitted/certified difference exist other than an attempt to defraud? Perhaps there is another reason....I'm just attempting to be educated on this with facts, unlike many of my fellow Albanites.

What was Lonzie White doing that was more important than this meeting?

Sister_Ruby 2 years, 2 months ago

Absence is failure to do your job. Obama did that alot in the Senate. Either be a "No Show" when the vote came up or just vote "Present", enabling Him to claim "I did not vote the wrong way" to His supporters/followers. Some folks thought that made Him qualified for the Presidency.

Terry.Lewis 2 years, 2 months ago

The gap is explained in the update.

Sister_Ruby 2 years, 2 months ago

Come on, Terry...........that's not an explanation. Solving this mystery would imply that over (3,237-2,911 = 326 signatures were "not certified" for some reason, and then they stopped checking the remaining 1,200. What is the reason? That's what I'm asking!! I can do math....I just want to know the REASON that these "signatures" were not certified. Were they forgeries? Were they not registered voters? What??

Where was Lonzie White so that he could not do his job?

MRKIA 2 years, 2 months ago

ONCE THE ELECTIONS OFFICIALS FOUND 348 FORGED OR UNCERTIFIABLE SIGNATURES THERE WAS NO NEED TO CERTIFY MORE. 3258 TOTAL MINUS 1672 CERTIFIED LEAVES 1586 VOTERS UNCOUNTED. OF THAT BALANCE HEARD NEEDED 1239 TO MAKE 2911. ONCE THE UNCERTIFIED REACHED 348 IT WAS OVER. DO THE MATH.

Sister_Ruby 2 years, 2 months ago

Time to bring in the Fraud Attorney Swat Team............FAST!!!

ilovealbany 2 years, 2 months ago

I heard on of the signatures was, "Mickey T. Mouse"!

agirl_25 2 years, 2 months ago

OMG I do hope you are joking!!!!!! Remember those wild names we used to make up in school...hahahaha.

MRKIA 2 years, 2 months ago

I WAS JOKING, BUT I COULD BE RIGHT!!!

agirl_25 2 years, 2 months ago

Yes and did you know that Ima Hogg is the name of a real person....lol..daughter of the Governor of Texas.
We used to make them up and see who could come up with the nicest nastiest one that the teacher wouldn't catch.....hahaha

We always loved Emerson Biggens......hahaha...but that was not our favorite dirty one.......hahaha

agirl_25 2 years, 2 months ago

Do NOT get me started..I can go on for days.....haha.. I will probably get kicked off the blog..hahahha..........

Sister_Ruby 2 years, 2 months ago

Remember the one from the movie American Graffiti?

Sister_Ruby 2 years, 2 months ago

Prank is: a guy calls on the phone to a diner and asks the waitress is "Mike Hunt" there and she walks all around the diner "Is Mike Hunt here? Does anybody know Mike Hunt?"

agirl_25 2 years, 2 months ago

LOL.....didn't remember that.....haven't seen the movie in years....haha....funny one....I will have to rent the movie and watch it again.

Mari 2 years, 2 months ago

Now let's get on with cleaning up the mess with the City Commission's appointment to the Airport Commission. Our mayor has certainly disappointed a number of her supporters in her manner of handling this appointment. What a shame that she is not attempting to protect this very valuable asset . The operation of this facility is critical to our city's future opportunities of recruiting business and holding on to the present industrial community. Why are you stalling, Ms. Hubbard, when twice the Airport Commission has presented a highly qualified individual for approval of appointment. Why are you not following the official procedure in place?

agirl_25 2 years, 2 months ago

Who was finally appointed, Mari? Is Tommyboy still yelling for a black man?

Mari 2 years, 2 months ago

No one has been appointed> First one voted on by Airport Commission was refused by city commission while they departed from standard procedure to find anither aspplicant to suit mayor pro tem. Pro tem sent another candidate to airport commission who was also not selected by commission in favor of the qualified candidate in a vote of 4-1. This vote was reported back to city commission lfor last Tuesday's meeting aand mayor decided there was not sufficiwnt time to consider thiis appointment at that meeting. Mayor and city commission are blatantly refusing to follow the procedure according to city law and policy. Do not understand why this issue is not being reported by media which has been present at these meetings.

agirl_25 2 years, 2 months ago

So now does this mean that MR. Heard will go back to whatever it is he does (did anyone ever say what he actually did as a vocation) and DR. Price can go back to doctoring and everyone can wait till the November elections, vote for her and then get things on the mend. Now I have a question, if you please. Since I went to the Howard University alumni page and could not find any evidence that MR. Murfree is in fact an alumni of said school and his resume says he has a PhD from there(taken from his resume: http://asu-sacs,asurams.edu/Administrators/resumes/murfree,20%Joshua.pdf-Wind 1987: Received a Ph.D. (Doctor of Philosophy) Degree in Counseling Psychology, Graduate School of Arts and Sciences, Howard University, Washington, D.C Why can't the DCSB look into the fact that maybe MR. Murfree may have fibbed about actually having a PhD. If you are going to clean up one aspect of the Board why not clean up another. True I don't have children in the DCSS but wouldn't it be nice if you really made an effort to set an example and showed the citizens of Do Co that you are tired of being beaten down and bullied by the clowns and are ready to show the citizens that it is time to give them back a class act. I do not see his name anywhere in this partial listing in the 'M' section of the Howard University alumni. He apparently lied about being a Howard grad. Did his pals who got him the job lie too?

tduncanspradley 2 years, 2 months ago

reverned heard is a pastor and a businessman.

tywebb 2 years, 2 months ago

the DCSB won't look into that (shocker). I would bet that they already knew (another shocker). They put him in place and it would not make them look good (gasp) if it were true

Sister_Ruby 2 years, 2 months ago

Yes, a_girl but he's proven himself and fully demonstrated his qualifications since then.

tduncanspradley 2 years, 2 months ago

pastor Heard fight until the end.

tywebb 2 years, 2 months ago

the end has come......and gone. the fat lady has already finished her song. Yogi and Lenny Kravitz both said "it ain't over till it's over." well, it's over cuz it's over. tduncan.....why would you want someone to file a frivilous lawsuit??? because that's what you're doing. is he your "reverend"? he submitted fraudulent signatures, he didn't pay the whopping $108 fee, and he couldn't even turn in the original affidavit! I know a person like this would fit in with the current board, but that's what the caring citizens of dougherty county are trying to get rid of.

agirl_25 2 years, 2 months ago

This is the correct link......the one given will not work.....

and here is the alumni list with no Murfree listed.......Partial -M- listings

AnotherMom 2 years, 2 months ago

It seems the circus has come to town and never left.

agirl_25 2 years, 2 months ago

The clown car broke down and they are waiting for a part but no one can come up with the $108.00 for it.

Sister_Ruby 2 years, 2 months ago

Anybody taking bets that "Counsellor King" will be filing the appeal?

seeker 2 years, 2 months ago

So the grounds for a potential lawsuit would be that the copy of the notice of candidacy should not have been rejected even though it was, apparently, a copy and not an original (which is required of the filing of an affidavit). It would seem to be a frivolous lawsuit on its face, much more so because it would make ABSOLUTELY NO DIFFERENCE in the case! According to the report "Rev." Heard's candidacy was disallowed because he failed to obtain the required number of certified - valid - signatures and not because he didn't file proper notice of his candidacy. It sounds like a bullying tactic to force his way onto the ballot. We can only hope that if "Rev." Heard does file suit that it is dealt with as the frivolous lawsuit that it would be and that punitive action can and would be taken against him and his attorney for filing it!

TheMember 2 years, 2 months ago

I have contacted the DA's office to let him know of the fraudulent signatures that were notarized by the notary. They must be prosecuted for election fraud. I was at the meeting and Mrs. Nickerson stated that some of the signatures were not valid because they were signed by the same person. Mr. Heard, I can't believe you will allow someone to commit a felony forgery crime to save your buddies at the school board. If so, have fun down there when your time comes and I don't mean down at the school board. BTW, Mrs. Nickerson, is it not true you asked the agent about the application and he stated it was a scanned copy. Please include your complete testimony so everyone can get the real story. If Mr. Heard sues, he should be required to pay both sides for legal fees if unsuccessful, if all lawsuits were this way, we may not have so many stupid, time wasting lawsuits.

agirl_25 2 years, 2 months ago

Is the DA that Edwards fellow I see on Channel 10 sometimes? He isn't one of the "Edwards" clan is he? And do you think it will do any good to contact him about the situation or is there so much coruption and "good old boy" politics in the city that no one can do anything unless the powers that be approve it first?

TheMember 2 years, 2 months ago

if he refuses, I will go to the US Attorney

waltspecht 2 years, 2 months ago

So, Jack Stone, will the County and City attempt to recover the funds it cost to persue this non-issue that Spencer Lee felt had to be done to avoid a suit? Or is the law suit still forthcomming? As long as people can continue to persue these games, without fear of repercussions, this sort of thing will continue to happen. When Miller first came to town, there were all sorts of law suits about load shifts. Often settling prior to court. Then Phillip Morris went after those filing them, especially one town in Alabama and their Judge. It stopped shortly after. Sometimes the paying of legal tribute to avoid court isn't the way to go. Let them sue, but counter sue to recover.

Cartman 2 years, 2 months ago

My prediction is that they will run a Write-In campaign in November.

TheMember 2 years, 2 months ago

They are already planning that, but not a good chance to expect that many people to do it, much less know how to do it.

Sister_Ruby 2 years, 2 months ago

There will be instructional classes held at the churches between now and then.

agirl_25 2 years, 2 months ago

How does that work tho, as far as the name being spelled correctly, etc, and do the people have to write without any help? I am sure many will have a problem writing in the name, don't you imagine?

Jimboob 2 years, 2 months ago

Maybe a write-in campaign should be waged aginst Velvet Riggins, a well known liar and thief...

Parent 2 years, 2 months ago

I know some WHITE men that work at MCLB that have went online to become "Ordained Ministers". So it's not just the "African" community!

agirl_25 2 years, 2 months ago

Where is the "African" community? Is there an "Irish" community and a "German" community, a "Scottish" and a "Scandanavian" community, an "Asian" community, etc?............I want to know. Maybe I have been living in the wrong one and missing out on some valuable things.

Sister_Ruby 2 years, 2 months ago

I'm considering starting an agirl Community in your neighborhood.

agirl_25 2 years, 2 months ago

Noooooooooo way.........this society I run is MINE...MINE...MINE...(but my husband is the treasurer so I guess it is really his but don't tell him I think it is mine).

Rev 2 years, 2 months ago

This is great....How many of the black "pastors" and "reverends" in Albany have ever attended one day of seminary? I'll bet you dollars to donuts none of them. You can be a card carrying "clergyman" to for $99! https://www.ministerregistration.org/register.html.

Parent 2 years, 2 months ago

TheMember 2 years, 2 months ago

That's a deal, you can recoup that in tax savings the first year. I will welcome you to my new church after I complete the course.

brudderfromanuddermudder 2 years, 2 months ago

What $99 dollars!!!! Why not $100. Do they have end of the month specials? I guess everything has its price.

agirl_25 2 years, 2 months ago

Hard to get an accurate number.....how many would actually tell the truth. By the way, what are the tax advantages to being a reverand? I get several now because of age and disability but am willing to fake it for more...wink wink. Are there any tax advantages or do they just do it for selfish reasons? Some of the black ladies I used to work with used to tell some truly hilarious stories about the ladies of the church and some of the arguments they got into over the fine reverand so I know of ONE very selfish reason..wink wink wink.

Amazed2 2 years, 2 months ago

NnotI think the person who identifies himself as Pastor Heard should ask his own staff so many of the petition signatures cannit be certified or verified. The numbers are alarming and should raise concern. How can you help the DCSS if you cannot even understand the rules.

mnavie1111 2 years, 2 months ago

U people are so funny! I want to know if sister ruby a sista or sister. Cuz it would explain everything. Cuz looking at all ur past comment u never comment on anything Whatley did or all of the troubles she left.

Sister_Ruby 2 years, 2 months ago

See below. Whatley left when she heard the iceberg dragging along the side of the ship.

Jimboob 2 years, 2 months ago

Sister_Ruby could be white... Or she could be black and fed up with people who tolerate all that is wrong here in Albany because it's being done by blacks. Race is no excuse for inaction by the black community.

Sister_Ruby 2 years, 2 months ago

Amen boobster. I could have purple hair independent of my race.

bubbasmithredneck 2 years, 2 months ago

everybody knows what color she is......thats easy!!

bubbavet 2 years, 2 months ago

Where are the "REAL PREACHERS".They should have something to say about this fool. I feel sorry for his congregation.

agirl_25 2 years, 2 months ago

bubbavet..........did you ever stop and think that maybe among the black pastors and reverands and preachers that are all talking the talk that not one of them has actually been to seminary or to divinity college? Maybe most of them have gotten up in the pulpit as teens or young men and started preaching. Maybe some of them can't even read or write. I have worked with young men who were like that, sad as it is to say. They were wonderful workers in the cleaning crew but could not read well but could memorize Bible stories their grandmother's told and would use the stories as lessons during Sunday preaching. Go figure, and the ladies love the preacherman and he loved the ladies, if you get my drift.

bubbavet 2 years, 2 months ago

That is the reason I put "REAL PREACHERS" in quotation marks. It means REAL PREACHERS black and white.

agirl_25 2 years, 2 months ago

Well are you from Albany.....and if so do you know of any REAL black preachers? I know of some real white ones......they have been the ones that ministered to my husband's relatives over the years when they passed away. I just don't know of any REAL black ones. I will wait for your reply as the song by Dusty Springfield plays over in my head and the lyrics bring back a time when I was a teenager and I thought it was a very naughty but true song and applied both to the preacher's son and the preacher himself....."The only one who could ever reach me.... Was the son of a preacher man..... The only boy who could ever teach me...... Was the son of a preacher man.......... Yes he was....... he was.......... ooh..lord no's.......... he was"

doingwhatisright 2 years, 2 months ago

Sorry..dont blame the white girl for this mess. It began when Bush took control. Whatley did as she was told by the inept board and finally had enough of their stupidity only to resign. Look who stepped in her place...frat friend of Bush and company.

Sister_Ruby 2 years, 2 months ago

THAT in a nutshell is exactly what happened. I can't blame her for retiring. She had NO control, could not even FIRE people who stole, harassed, fornicated with students, and laid out of work. Why stay? Turn it over to the New Order.

MRKIA 2 years, 2 months ago

I QUESTION WHY,AFTER SHE LEFT SHE DID NOT REPORT HER KNOWLEDGE OF THE SITUATION. S.W. HAS ALL TO DO WITH WHAT WAS GOING ON PRIOR TO MURFREE. THE INVESTIGATION SHOULD HAVE HAD S.W. IN THE CENTER OF THE MIX.

FryarTuk 2 years, 2 months ago

It's not the least bit productive to disinter the administrative remains of Sally Whatley or John Culbreth unless a grand jury is involved which it won't be. Two, three wrongs do not make a right. What we have now is entirely a different set of rogues who have not the least bit of ability to manage and develop educational programs for students. And whose characters are so rank that when they are caught in flagrente delicto we are told they are not doing what we are seeing and they are thinking out of the box so pay no mind. DCSS has a virus so lethal all of the Bushies will have to be purged.

Terry.Lewis 2 years, 2 months ago

Fryar,

I'd like to congratulate you for being the first person to post "in flagrante delicto" in the comments section of the Albany Herald. Well done. :)

agirl_25 2 years, 2 months ago

Some teacher actually got caught in the act? Did they get put in prison and listed in Georgia as a sex offender? I certainly hope so, for in this state I thought that was the law. Sounds to me as if it was swept under the rug.

agirl_25 2 years, 2 months ago

No to all 3 questions? Well "in flagrente delicto" is Latin for being caught in the act, which usually means sexual in courts of law during testimony and it has been used in books teenage girls used to sneak and read when I was 13, many moons ago. Has the meaning changed?

FryarTuk 2 years, 2 months ago

No. It is popularized as a sex act but doesn't mean that. It just has a delicious sound to it. I was actually thinking of Velveeta, Baker, Washington, Sabb & Murfree. The hand in the cookie jar, so to speak. You're a sharpie, agirl_25. You are not the only one who read the Lady, you are the only one that revealed it.

agirl_25 2 years, 2 months ago

So they were caught with their hands in the cookie jar or a cash register I guess. I don't know why he had to use the term then. Am I the only kid to sneak "Lady Chatterley's Lover" into the woods to read at too young an age? At 13 you get wide-eyed at Lawrence's writing but when you read it 10, 20 or even 30 years later you understand it more, and you don't have to hide it in the woods so your Mom doesn't find it.

chinaberry25 2 years, 2 months ago

King, the mistake was made by your client. People always want to blame someone else for their shyster dealings. Did you ever think that it was not the will of God. If God had wanted preacher man to run, then he would have made it possible. This was an act of man wanting his way and God closed that door.

mnavie1111 2 years, 2 months ago

Its good to see the sons and daughters of the confederate are alive and well. Thank God for CHANGE! Can't wait to see how mad they get when Obama re- elected. Hope they all move to lee co.

Sister_Ruby 2 years, 2 months ago

That deaf, dumb, and blind kid sure plays a mean pinball...............................

Sister_Ruby 2 years, 2 months ago

Mad? No.............Pissed Off At The Stupidity of Fellow Americans? Hell Yeah.

Sister_Ruby 2 years, 2 months ago

Thanks for showing up for me boi. I gots a Dirt Flo Shack you can stays in. Thanks again My Man!!

Sister_Ruby 2 years, 2 months ago

Bro with Black Shirt thinking somethin else..........

nofreeloader 2 years, 2 months ago

I"m gonna write in MY DOG SPOT against Velvet Riggins .

FlunkyMonkey 2 years, 2 months ago

If Heard's affidavit was the original as he contended, why did he or someone in his camp, shred the damned thing? Rule number one, KEEP EVERY DOCUMENT UNTIL THE LAWSUIT IS OVER....I have my doubts that he followed the rules in regard to the affidavit. If I were sitting on the jury, I would want to see WHAT HE CONTENDED WAS THE ORIGINAL AFFIDAVIT. King is once again, chasing unicorns and wasting tax payer dollars. Doesn't Georgia have a frivolous litigation law?

Jimboob 2 years, 2 months ago

You know, I think Sister Ruby bes off her meds... :-)

Sister_Ruby 2 years, 2 months ago

WALB news reported last night at 11pm that there were (quoting) "over 300 forgeries" in the signatures. That's why, as Terry.Lewis reported, they stopped certifying when they realized there would not be enough signatures left.

Heard and King have been taking their cues from Cassius Clay on this one since the beginning........playing "rope a dope" since the time they turned in the copy of the affadavit.

sandtrap 2 years, 2 months ago

Walt - check your spelling of the word pursue!

Shinedownfan 2 years, 2 months ago

Sand trap, if you are so worried about Walt's misspelled words, then give him $500 so he can buy an ipad, and it will auto correct everything he types.

Sherwood_Eagle_Alum 2 years, 2 months ago

Then he has to worry about autocorrect...

Amazed2 2 years, 2 months ago

Guess this thing here just says volumes and volumes about why Albany and Dougherty County and DCSS is in such a friggin mess. With leaders of the community that have not a clue on how to file to run how could they ever lead the DCSS out of the current MESS

agirl_25 2 years, 2 months ago

The saddest thing about what you said in your post, in my opinion, is....."with leaders of the community that have not a clue"............Isn't it sad that those people are actually the leaders of the community. You are certainly correct. If they don't even have a clue as to how to file a simple form how on earth can they be expected to lead the DCSS?

MRKIA 2 years, 2 months ago

THIS IS THE SAME LAME EXCUSE VELVET RIGGINS IS USEING; "I'M TOO STUPID TO UNDERSTAND OR FILL OUT THE FORM". THIS MUST BE A QUALIFICATION TO BE ON THE DCSB.

doingwhatisright 2 years, 2 months ago

I think I've been introduced to hell...meetings every freaking day to remind us big brother is watching ( it will make us better teachers). Let's be real for a moment...you rehire cheaters to teach and to run the schools, you have a Ph.D. who wasn't aware giving her friend Title I funds was illegal, you have a Super. who would really like us all to believe he is pro DCSS and teacher friendly, you have a thief on the BOE, you have an Asst Super who used the taxpayers money to post bail for an unruly idiot, you've furloughed the teachers and staff again,you've increased the number of students in the classroom, you're allowing the students to judge and rate their teachers - as part of the teachers' yearly evaluations, and you want the teachers to prove they are teaching by showing an increase in student test scores even if 100% of the students have passed or exceeded (?).....Oh my, sheet-a-brick...I am in hell!

agirl_25 2 years, 2 months ago

Now, now, who has the PhD? If you mean Murfree, show me where he got it....for his name sure ain't on the alumni list at Howard University where he said he got it. I looked. Hmmmm..I wonder...........oh excuse me, my mind drifted. Oh and by the way, I see you have an accent, your last statement.....what part of across-the-border did you come from? Welcome to Hee Haw Hell.....

Amazed2 2 years, 2 months ago

Sad but True!!! Welcome to Albany the home of the corrupt and ignorant!!