Squawk of the day - August 26, 2012

"Girls, fast-pitch high school softball may be popular, but it is the high school football that pays the bills that allows the girls to play."

Comments

doingwhatisright 2 years, 3 months ago

Thanks, that will make a great research project! Maybe in the Lee Co. schools but not where I live! Girl power!

Sister_Ruby 2 years, 3 months ago

coachjohnson has found a new computer to use, it appears.

Sherwood_Eagle_Alum 2 years, 3 months ago

Well that came out of left field! No pun intended.

I guess someone is upset that he was asked to leave the softball complex. Apparently parents complained about him being a creeper with no kids on the team.

poria925 2 years, 3 months ago

When applying for a job I was honest on my application about a felony from 2005,but instead of the employers,Olive Garden (Albany) Walmart(eastside) disqualify my app. They call you in for all kind of bogus interviews and tests that take 2-3 days up to five hours each time.At the end they tell you company policy states that a felony has to be ten years old. Now if that don't make you want to smoke one and start back selling drugs, I don't know what will.But Instead I cried like a baby and fell down on my knees to pray. (CHANGED MAN).

chinaberry25 2 years, 3 months ago

No, it is the taxpayers who pay for this ball team girls and boys. Sports teams only make a profit in college and pros. Far as I am concerned, they can do away with both. I have not attended any in 46 years. The profits the teams make would never even cover the coaches
salaries.

TRUTH101 2 years, 3 months ago

Most college football teams are in the red also......very few FBS teams make a profit

TheMember 2 years, 3 months ago

This may be DaCoach, but if not, I think it is important to recognize the fact that an elementary student would take the time to make a squawk in the paper. This is obviously a simple-minded young kid who finished his homework early and had nothing else to do.

FryarTuk 2 years, 3 months ago

Well, no. It's the taxpayers that pay or in the case of the bible schools, the parents and I assume it is voluntary. As it relates to public high schools I am convinced we are at a point in the economy where expenditures for inter scholastic competitive sports are unjustifiable and should be discontinued throughout the state. Funds should be directed to teaching fundamentals to the point of mastering regardless of grade promotion and teaching as appropriate to skill level applied or advanced math, science and humanities. Coaches are paid exorbitant salaries comparatively speaking and resources are committed to facilities that basically advance no child's education. Our society majors in minors in so far as secondary education goes.

outsidelookinin 2 years, 3 months ago

Actually very few tax dollars are spent on athletics, comparatively, and most public school athletics depend on money gained from attendance. As to the necessity of inter-scholastic sports and all other after school programs, I believe they are a vital part of a child's development. Although education is the most important part of a child's learning, the lessons learned on the field, or in clubs or fine arts programs can dramatically effect what a person does with their life. Without these programs many kids are left to their own devices after school, and in Albany Georgia I think everyone knows what that can lead to!

waltspecht 2 years, 3 months ago

Say, isn't that called Title 19 implimentation? That is what created the plathoria of school sports. Used to be Baseball, Football and Basketball. Now it's just about anything someone can dream up, and find enough kids intetested in playing. It is all about money. From the Coaches, to the Bus Drivers, to the sports equipment vendors. If you can get someone to buy into your scheme, you make money.

FryarTuk 2 years, 3 months ago

It's called taxpayers' money. I just called a friend of mine who serves on an local public school board and his response was where did you get that information about cost. As I suspected and he confirmed at a high school level only a small amount of money comes from the gate receipts. By law none of that can go to salaries which are quite significant when you consider all paid positions, all sports and all system schools. He laughed quite a bit when I read your entire comment. In fact, his final word was something to the effect of "that's just a bunch of bull __! Ask him which gymnasium at a South Georgia high school was paid with ticket revenue." I won't address all the character building hogwash you slung but there is no convincing evidence that it helps grades or learning or intellectual stimulation. Competitive sports is a time and resource wasting enterprise and needs to be eliminated from public schools.

tywebb 2 years, 3 months ago

the only time wasted is the coach's! i coached varsity football in hellbany for 10 years. here's my payment breakdown: I made $3000 a year...it was split up over 12 months, but let's just say I only got paid during football season (NOT including off-season workouts, spring ball, and then summer workouts).....that would be end of july to end of oct (not including playoffs), so 3 months. That is $1000 a month if paid during the season. I worked, on average, 15 hours on week days (not including scouting trips). I worked about 8 hours every sunday breaking down film and planning for the next opponent. In Albany, every school will have saturday games, so there's an extra 7 hours twice during the season. so that's 23 hours a week x 14 weeks = 322 hours +14 = 336 hours for the season. That equals $8.93 per hour. Just remember, off season stuff is NOT included. when you include that it's about $2 an hour! I didn't plan on making a killing coaching, but the community definitely gets its money's worth when it comes to coaches pay. And yes, i realize head coaches get paid more. It's insulting to say character building is hogwash. If you think the gangs in hellbany are bad now.....just wait until these kids have nothing to do after school.

revolutionnow 2 years, 3 months ago

Sounds like the Fryar could'nt make the team.

FryarTuk 2 years, 3 months ago

Well, I played in the damned band. I hated the marching bulls____ but loved playing. I saw what BS it was and I don't want to pay for it now because it is worthless and destructive. It wastes money, time and focus. It's all just a bunch of baloney.

revolutionnow 2 years, 3 months ago

Would you say the same for all extracurricular activities like BETA and drama clubs, music, art ?

Sister_Ruby 2 years, 3 months ago

I bet what he/she would say is "What's that??"

FryarTuk 2 years, 3 months ago

Take your Ritalin, review the squawk and try to stay on task.

MisterEd 2 years, 3 months ago

"Well, I played in the band."

That about sums it up right there.