Shootings: One dead, five injured

Dontavious Luke

Dontavious Luke

ALBANY, Ga. — Death came for 24-year-old Dontavious Luke just before 4 a.m. Sunday in a fusillade of bullets at the Shackelford Shopping Center parking lot

The shooting was one of three reported early Sunday in Albany, Albany Police said.

According to Albany Police Department reports, three others received gunshots during the melee at the 261 E. Oglethorpe Blvd. parking lot, and one man was attacked with a sharp high-heel shoe.

Luke has a long criminal history as a member in the Westside Rattlers gang, police said. The Dougherty County Court docket search website cmwebsearchpp/login.aspx confirmed incidents of gang participation.

“Since this case is possibly gang related, we have a collaborative effort with our Robbery-Homicide Unit to investigate any details related to that activity,” said police Gang Unit Cpl. Prurince Dice, at a 4:30 p.m. news conference.

Montravious Luke, the 28-year-old brother of Dontavious, suffered gunshots to the chest and side. The 21-year-old woman among the injured men, Whitney Williams, endured a bullet in her upper left thigh. Kelvin Drake suffered a gunshot wound to both his hands. Cartez Haines was struck on his head with a high-heel shoe.

The crowd had been at the Sand Trap bar before the shooting, said a source close to the investigation. The first shooting of the night came before 3:36 a.m. in the bar’s parking lot. Twenty-three-year-old Rashad Jackson was transported to the hospital with a gunshot wound to the calf. He was treated and released, a police report added.

The fatal shooting and fight at the Shackelford Shopping Center may have been a spillover from the first shooting, but police would not confirm or deny. Officers on patrol had heard the shots, responded and “secured the area,” according to a report.

“We have spoken to the victims and the witnesses,” said police Cpl. Arthur Tyler. “This is an active investigation. We are getting information.”

In another incident, police said at 4:25 a.m. men jumped from two vehicles to attack 27-year-old Manasseh Skinner on the 1400 block of South Van Buren Street. A gunshot during the attack hit Skinner in the right hand. The attackers fled before officers arrived.

Skinner was taken to the hospital where he was treated and released. reports indicated.

Anyone with additional information on any of the shootings should call investigations at (229) 431-3288 or Crime Stoppers at (229) 436-TIPS (8477). The Spanish speaking APD-COP Tip Line is (229) 434-2677.

Crime Stoppers is an anonymous tipline. People with information could become eligible for cash rewards.

Comments

whattheheck 2 years, 1 month ago

Well, whattheheck did we expect? After all, this is the Good Life and a weekend for those who have worked so hard in the previous week to let off some steam with a shooting or a stobbing.

AlbanyIsTooDarkDuringTheDay 2 years, 1 month ago

I had a feeling I knew someone with a name like "Dontavious" would be involved in a shooting when I clicked the link, "Shootings: One dead, five injured."

agirl_25 2 years, 1 month ago

THERE YOU ARE!!!!!!! I had the name wrong but knew it had something about Albany being too dark sometime day or night. Glad to see your post.

tduncanspradley 2 years, 1 month ago

how would the name Dontavious alert you

sm1716 2 years, 1 month ago

A person's name does not dictate their character. I know a person who has that same name, yet they are very successful, a college graduate, independent, and most importantly has love and respect. I'm pretty sure whatever your name maybe, somewhere in the world a person with the same name may have been involved in a shooting as well.

AlbanyIsTooDarkDuringTheDay 2 years, 1 month ago

My point was that since there was a shooting, I had a hunch that someone with a name like "Dontavious" would be involved rather than someone named "Tim" or "Harold."

SM1716, of course someone's name does not "dictate their character," however, Shanana or Loquatia are never going to be debutantes

sm1716 2 years, 1 month ago

Never say never! I'm pretty sure you thought the name "Obama" would never be president. Oh and by the way did you know the name "James" would be involved in the violent theater shooting in Colorado or "Jeffrey" would be involved in serial killings and a sex offender. I can go on and on about different names of people whom have done horrific things to innocent people, but you give negative comments about a victims name. May God have mercy on your sorry soul!

VSU 2 years, 1 month ago

Read the herald's crime report, there are at least 150 names in there like Shaquineesha, and other names most people can't pronounce, but maybe 6 or 7 with your common names. Do the math and you figure the odds.

sm1716 2 years, 1 month ago

Read the entire world news and then you do the math. I'm not denying that such names may encounter criminal offenses but their criminal offenses are never mass murders, serial killers, or serial rapist. Shall I go on or do you get the point. Yes, they may fight, steal, rob, or be in confrontation with others whom they know, but you never read articles of them killing their parents, children, or a number of innocent people in a mall, school, church, etc.

VSU 2 years, 1 month ago

You're the one who doesn't get the point. Once again as I stated before IF YOU CAN READ this story is not about mass murderers, serier rapists or killers. This story is about a lowlife thug getting shot in a gangfight. If this story was about mall murderers or sons killing their moms etc then I would talk about it, but that is not the subject of this report, So once again I will talk about this story and if you don't like what I say then don't read it, it's as simple as that.

Trureligion12 2 years, 1 month ago

how did you know he "Dontavious" would be involved?

AlbanyIsTooDarkDuringTheDay 2 years, 1 month ago

Please re-read my post. I don't have time to explain it to the simple-minded.

ObjectiveEyes 2 years, 1 month ago

I always tell my children what my parents told me, "...nothing good happens on the streets after midnight..."

Jimboob 2 years, 1 month ago

Actually, 7PM is a much safer time.

AlbanyIsTooDarkDuringTheDay 2 years, 1 month ago

Why did the Herald choose a nice picture of Dontavious with him smilling in his home, well his moms home in the projects? Why not put one of his mugshots?

VSU 2 years, 1 month ago

That way his mother can show everybody what a nice young man her son was, "My boy ain't done nothing wrong, he's a good boy, sees how he smiling? Y'all just don't know my baby like I do."

AlbanyIsTooDarkDuringTheDay 2 years, 1 month ago

Maybe she could show people his picture from his most recent Westside Rattlers Yearbook. I hear each gang has a yearbook where they pass it around and get others members to sign and reminisce on the front and back pages.

jsteve74 2 years, 1 month ago

that show's how ignorant u are he wasn't a westside nun

Sherwood_Eagle_Alum 2 years, 1 month ago

Doesn't the article say:

sm1716 2 years, 1 month ago

Why post a mug shot photo? He is the victim and what he has done in the past is irrelevant now because he is not here. Everyone will be held accountable for their wrong doings, whether it is now or later. Just as well as you will be held accountable for the wrong you have done and please do not say your innocent, because their are no perfect human beings. By the way post your mug shot, so everyone can see you

AlbanyIsTooDarkDuringTheDay 2 years, 1 month ago

What he has done is irrelevant? Is what Hitler did irrelevant? Just because you die, that doesnt mean that everything is hunkie-dorie.

He was no angel, he was an active gang member.

TheMember 2 years, 1 month ago

I still can't understand why businesses do not want to move downtown. I realize this was not downtown, but it was close enough.

Terry.Lewis 2 years, 1 month ago

A high heel to the head? Now that is a serious dustup.

whattheheck 2 years, 1 month ago

It really is serious if the shoe were on a woman's foot and the wearer and the victim were both vertical at the time.

dingleberry 2 years, 1 month ago

If Cartez is the guy with the aka "L'i Dwarf" perhaps the shoe-heel person didn't have a problem reaching the temporal lobe.

Cartman 2 years, 1 month ago

This is why I do not come to Albany after dark unarmed.

Sister_Ruby 2 years, 1 month ago

"After dark" and 4 am are two different things. That said, this is getting so completely ridiculous. I wonder how many APD were on duty at 4 am last night?

agirl_25 2 years, 1 month ago

I am waiting for a comment by the fellow who uses the handle that is something similar to "albanyistoodarkatnight" or something like that.......hahaha..some of these comments makes me wonder where he is. This is a perfect place for him to comment. Do y'all know the name I am talking about?

dingleberry 2 years, 1 month ago

It sounds like the shooters came out of the bars in the wee hours. If drinks are not served after a curfew time, supposedly, why not set a time for the entire establishment to shut down? There needs to be a limit to the number of hours for drinking and carousing.

AnotherMom 2 years, 1 month ago

Now remember, according to bubbavetrureel all these people are innocent until proven guilty. Don't you know that most normal people are out drinking at 4 a.m. & fighting & shooting at each other? It is really sad that some people live this way & think it's okay.

buddy 2 years, 1 month ago

Let's take a look at the most likely scenario here....these people probably were offered free education, given free or reduced housing, free food, low interest loans, are most likely sperm donors or womb homes for multiple other children to grow up and act the very same way and this is what they do in the wee hours of the morning. Once again, I guess it's just their "culture"! Until there is mandatory birth control to people who refuse to have any self respect or determination to make it on their own rather than living off the goverment this problem will only get worse!

bigbob 2 years, 1 month ago

WALB said the dead guy had something like 9 aggrevated assualts on his record plus other charges. If he had of been were he should have been (jail) he would still be alive.

VSU 2 years, 1 month ago

i was thinking the same thing. If this guy had lived a decent life with a job instead of a gang, he would not even gone to jail.

AlbanyIsTooDarkDuringTheDay 2 years, 1 month ago

How is someone out on the street with 9 agg assaults??

change_is_gonna_come 2 years, 1 month ago

I am so tired of the not so subtle digs at Black Americans or other minorities. I did not grow up on welfare and I spent the first eleven years of my life in a two parent home and when my mother became a single parent she sometimes worked two jobs to take of her five daughters (and she only had five grandchildren and one great-grand). In our household education was very important. All of my mother's children went and got some type of education after high school. We haven't been in trouble, nor do we hang out on the streets and frequent clubs. We go to church and do a girls night out at the movies and dinner. Oh, and I actually have two Master degrees. So please don't lump everyone in the same boat. I hate for anyone thinking of moving to this area to read the comments on the Herald, cause you all sound so racist.

agirl_25 2 years, 1 month ago

Well first of all let me be frank, I do not think the digs are all that subtle. I think they are very forthright and in your face digs for the most part. Here for your reading pleasure --->>....."I am so glad things turned out well for you and I am sorry you feel those of us who comment here have lumped everyone in the same boat. Congratulations on your achievement on acquiring your two degrees....did you per chance acquire them from ASU?" <---- That my dear, is a subtle dig..... and you are welcome.

tduncanspradley 2 years, 1 month ago

WHAT WOULD IT MATTER If she received them from albany state or not and achievement is an achievement.

Sherwood_Eagle_Alum 2 years, 1 month ago

*an achievement is an achievement

I guess your undergrad wasn't in English.

A degree from ASU < degree from anywhere else. A school that routinely has its accreditation pulled is not a good thing. Don't get me wrong, I'm proud of your multiple degrees. I'm simply answering your question.

change_is_gonna_come 2 years, 1 month ago

Nope, I sure didn't. I have only taken the PRAXIS exam at ASU, and passed them Ii might add.

agirl_25 2 years, 1 month ago

Congrats on NOT going to ASU and congrats on passing your PRAXIS...hope the teaching profession gets an honest teacher who is well qualified in his/her field. Notice, if you will, no subtle digs, altho I could have let a few slide in, I have chosen not to, but do wish you an exciting and fulfilling career.

VSU 2 years, 1 month ago

You're tired huh? Well I am tired too...I'm tired of hearing about another robbery taking place, I am tired of hearing about somebody being shot for no reason, I am tired of hearing about an assault and battery that took place, I am tired of hearing or reading about another house or car being burglarized and until these things stop, I will complain on. Good for you for getting your educations, but unfortunately too too many choose the wrong path and make the wrong choices in life just like this guy. Good luck in your future and Kudos for your family in doing the right things.

tduncanspradley 2 years, 1 month ago

well remember it was not the dark brown american who broke into the judges car the other day, it is not us who is making meth, it is not us killing our parents and grandparents. We all wan to sit and act like its a black thing it is a human thing

VSU 2 years, 1 month ago

But It was the dark brown american that got shot and killed in this gunfight and in case you didn't notice, this is what this story is about. This news story is about this black thug that got shot at 4am in the morning. This story is not about Meth or somebody breaking into the judges car so therefore I will comment as I please and if you don't like it then don't read it.

Sherwood_Eagle_Alum 2 years, 1 month ago

I don't think you helped your case with those statements. It's not "us" versus "y'all." We are all on this planet together.

change_is_gonna_come 2 years, 1 month ago

I too am tired of all the violence and to me, it doesn't matter what color the victim, a victim is a victim. Someone who is actually somewhere minding their own business and to have someone to assault or even worse is awful. When I grew up in Albany in the late 60's and 70's, crime was not something you heard about on a monthly basis, we actually could go to sleep with the front door open and the screen door locked and not worry about hoodlins breaking in and today, I try not to ride through my old neighborhood because of the crime. I think that for the most part, parents have let the ball drop, parents need to raise their own kids and keep the government out of it.

tduncanspradley 2 years, 1 month ago

and its ur culture who broke into the judges car, and the ones who make the meth and your culture who kills their parents and grandmothers? But, I guess that is not an issue. "Their culture" and we all have good andbad regardless of the culture.

waltspecht 2 years, 1 month ago

Wonder just how many of the weapons were legally posessed? Wonder how much time those using them will serve on that count? Wanna bet the weapons possession are the first things the DA deals away? How about a squad like New York had. Called the Tactical Patrol. They slid up on folks for the simpilist of legal reasons, and confescated a whole bunch of illegal weapons. Even if the search isn't legal, the illegal weapon doesn't get returned, just no one is charged. I always thought the idea was to make it where the THUGS find carrying a weapon isn't worth the risk. About like Richmond Virginia. Where Dealers went to dogs, because too many were receiving a mandatory ten years in a Fed Prison, far away from home.

FryarTuk 2 years, 1 month ago

Which one of them was wearing the high heel shoes. Did they have on a red dress too. Ooh get down Tommy Tucker.

Jimboob 2 years, 1 month ago

That makes you as old as me... :-(

agirl_25 2 years, 1 month ago

Checks my watch.....darn, it has been hours and no one has come in to scold you for making these terrible (snicker snicker chortle chortle giggle giggle laughing till Pepsi comes out my nose) comments about these fine young men. Where is your sense of decency? Don't you know someone's mama is crying their eyes out tonight cause her baby is not coming home. He done been shot. Where oh where is bubba whatever, the one who is always preaching about how bad everyone is for putting down all the rotten guys when they are in fact fine upstanding individuals who are just misunderstood. Btw buddy, I did like your description...hahaha..good one.

agirl_25 2 years, 1 month ago

There it is....didn't take long did it....confusedCITIZEN..you win the prize for complaining first..... down there.. V

confusedCITIZEN 2 years, 1 month ago

My God, I didnt see all these comments when the lil white boy fell off the top of a car, and killed his self, hmmm, it makes him better cause he wasnt black!! I understand why its only yall on here commenting.

VSU 2 years, 1 month ago

That lil white boy did that to himself, he wasn't out at 4am in the morning in some gang gunfight. There is a big difference in horsing around and out in a gunfight shooting each other. Yeah you are confused all right.

AlbanyIsTooDarkDuringTheDay 2 years, 1 month ago

I have a feeling you are "confused" often. There is a big difference between someone falling off a car and being an active gang member!

Who do YOU mean by "y'all"? Is that some sort of racist comment?? If I went to the McDonalds in East Albany and shouted, "All y'all need to leave," I'm pretty sure someone would pull out the race card.

I hate to hear of anyone being killed, but if it's a gang-banger being killed then I will sleep better tonight!

agirl_25 2 years, 1 month ago

Yeah yeah that has been covered.....I know you are but what am I....

agirl_25 2 years, 1 month ago

What little white boy? Was he drunk? Was it at 4 AM? Was he out partying with a bunch of other people? How old was the little white boy? What was he doing on the car? How did he fall off the car? I have no idea what you are talking about so please be specific and then come back and call me ignorant when I have had a chance to read about it and then we will discuss it. Thanks. By the way, you said he killed himself, do you mean accidental or suicidal. BE SPECIFIC!! Now be off and come back when you have sufficient information for name calling.

MisterEd 2 years, 1 month ago

How do we know these are black folks? Aren't Montravious and Dontravious nice Anglo names?

TheMember 2 years, 1 month ago

confusedCITIZEN is a perfect name for you, cause you have confused me with you stupid comment.

Amazed2 2 years, 1 month ago

What is the is Albany State students

Amazed2 2 years, 1 month ago

Were these Albany State Students

AlbanyIsTooDarkDuringTheDay 2 years, 1 month ago

So are you telling him to ask his wife, or asking if he should ask his wife?

joecool8 2 years, 1 month ago

No they were not ASU students. Too old

agirl_25 2 years, 1 month ago

I think I missed something....where did the ASU students come into the picture? I miss something in the read?

Doh......I just saw it....someone asked if they were ASU students....my bad......sorry

FlunkyMonkey 2 years, 1 month ago

You know what? The only thing that is missed here is the fact that these were PUNKS who, at that hour, WERE UP TO NO GOOD. Now my tax dollars will be used to pay their medical bills (I can't get that good of medical coverage) and some piss-anty judge will more than likely let these fools go. It is time that we law abiding citizens put an end to this bIullshit and take our city back.

USTPC 2 years, 1 month ago

And I am sure that gun control enthusiasts will use this tragedy to try and create more laws and regulations that only impact law abiding citizens because as we all know criminals do not care about any law including the ones prohibiting them from carrying or owning a firearm.

jsteve74 2 years, 1 month ago

we all law abiding citizens until we get caught.

USTPC 2 years, 1 month ago

LMAO....so based on that comment then as far as you are concerned the ones involved in this shooting were law abiding citizens but had the bad luck of getting caught? Multiple times? That is one of the most ridiculous comments I have seen. That insinuates that everyone (330 million people) is a felon but have not been caught yet.

bigbob 2 years, 1 month ago

Flunky monkey, you are obviuosly one of those white folks that don't realize these poor guys were just walking home from work when someone attacked them. LOL

agirl_25 2 years, 1 month ago

Oh this is getting good...I can't wait till you get to the part about the high heel in the guy's head. Can't wait to hear how the gal whomped him in the side of the head with it, why, and what she was doing out at 4 AM dressed in high heeled shoes. Do tell.......

tduncanspradley 2 years, 1 month ago

KKK are gang bangers too but I guess they are OK.

VSU 2 years, 1 month ago

NAACP & Black Panthers are gang bangers but I guess that is okay.

sm1716 2 years, 1 month ago

I never recalled NAACP or Black Panthers committing such crimes as; lynching, arson, burning churches, or raping women and children and then turn around and kill them because of the color of their skin. NAACP and Black Panthers are black activist who were fighting for African American rights and freedom. So sad for a person to compare KKK and NAACP!

USTPC 2 years, 1 month ago

Yeah, the Black Panthers are such a peacable organization that they put a bounty on Mr. Martin's head...dead or alive. And they have been known to riot on occasion. But I guess you are okay with that.

ittybittyme 2 years, 1 month ago

it's okay for blacks to shoot, stab, beat each other and other races to death....don't even compare these barbarians with the KKK....you are no better...

terihdfxr1 2 years, 1 month ago

I say let these life time criminals kill each other off. Who cares anymore. Wouldnt it be better id they just killed each other off before they can harm some innocent child or person? Besides this way we dont have to spend money taking them to court and or jail. Put all of them together in a place with free crack, and meth. and let them sort it out.

Shinedownfan 2 years, 1 month ago

this happens in Chicago every night (killing each other off)... but you never hear anything about it.

tywebb 2 years, 1 month ago

if you read the chicago tribune you'd probably hear about it

agirl_25 2 years, 1 month ago

According to the Sun-Times Media Wire.

At least nine people were killed and 28 others wounded in a spate of shootings since Friday night in Chicago. The most recent shooting death occurred on Sunday afternoon in the city's South Side, where a 19-year-old was shot from a passing vehicle.

TheBoss 2 years, 1 month ago

Bet they still vote for Obama...the dead ones.

agirl_25 2 years, 1 month ago

Shame shame on you teri.. don't ya know we have been admonished for talking bad about those who have passed on....shame shame shame.....somebody done chewed us out already...now I know they meant all of us..so come join together and give them a piece of your mind..lol.......(ps..... i agree with you)......

AlbanyIsTooDarkDuringTheDay 2 years, 1 month ago

Somehow it seems apropos to be typing this while listening to "Another One Bites The Dust."

waltspecht 2 years, 1 month ago

One dog certified to scent firearms and ammunition. Two very large Officers to back up one unarmed Undercover Officer handling the dog so there is no confusion of scent. Then, when the dog hits, that is cause for a warrent, if not an actual search. Wouldn't it be fun to watch these folks ditch a gun whenever they see a man walking a dog down the street? Used to be neat to watch all the drugs get dropped when you drove through certain neighborhoods with a dog on a platform on the hood of a car. As a buddy used to say, I love to hear the flushing of Toilets because we're giving King some fresh air.

Clif 2 years, 1 month ago

They were innocently campaigning for Bishop & Obama, and making progress too. Now the dead one will show up and vote for Bishop/Obama at least five times.....This is how they win elections, bring out all the dead bruthas to vote....

agirl_25 2 years, 1 month ago

I don't know anything about the area....can someone describe the area where the club is located. I may have been by there years ago. I do think I remember a credit union way down on Oglethorpe we joined when we moved back to the area over 30 years ago but soon moved out of the area and that was the end of physically going there. That is all I remember about Oglethorpe. Now, as I say, I know the bypass exit for the Marine Base and that is it.

JustAnotherVoice 2 years, 1 month ago

right across the street from the ASU campus

agirl_25 2 years, 1 month ago

ohhhhhhh I don't know where that is..someone told me it got rebuilt after the flood and was really nice looking..all new beautiful buildings....thanks..maybe i can google earth it and do a street view

Sister_Ruby 2 years, 1 month ago

This tragic event should not turn into another race baiting, divisive dialogue. For all I know Albany could be worse per capita than Chicago, though nobody within 100 miles of Albany knows enough about statistics (per capita) to make an accurate assessment. Nevertheless, articles like this are in the paper almost every day (as they should be to keep the public informed) but I am becoming more and more concerned about two things: the continued cultural decline in DoCo, and the fact that nobody is doing anything to make it better othere than pass out meals to poor people.....just making excuses for the perps.

agirl_25 2 years, 1 month ago

Totally agree...and when someone points this out (and we all know who points this out on a continuing basis) the meals are continued to be passed, excuses are continued, the decline continues, and yet nothing is done. IS ANYONE LISTENING?

FlunkyMonkey 2 years, 1 month ago

The reason they can figure statistical data is because they are products of the Dougherty County School System.

Clyde 2 years, 1 month ago

I guess many of you dont know what it's like growin up here in Albany with no father figure in your life. A kid just about has no chance. We all want to be a part of something, to belong and fit in. What do you expect when you remove the father figure or mentor who provides guidance, an example of how to live? If you want to help join a big brother or mentoring program or just do it on an individual basis. Find a neighbor kid, take him out of the bad environment on a regular basis to play ball, go fishing, camping, anything. IMO that is the biggest reason gangs have gotten so big and the average age of gang members are so young. Men, Fathers STAND UP and save our kids. There is no yall, it's US. And quit with the stupid racist stuff, it's 2012 for Gods sake. Albany is not a black OR white town, It's OUR town. It's what we make it.

tduncanspradley 2 years, 1 month ago

you seem to be the only one on here with sense

Sherwood_Eagle_Alum 2 years, 1 month ago

I agree with everything you said except the part about a kid having no chance. There are many children who grow up in single-parent homes, and a small minority of them resort to gang membership. Let's not make excuses for his gang activity. We all make choices and are responsible for our actions.

Albany does need men both black and white to mentor kids. Whether its coaching a ball team or joining a big brother program. What is the definition of insanity, again? Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results...

USTPC 2 years, 1 month ago

I also have to disagree with the "no chance" comment because the father is not around. My father left when I was not even old enough to remember him. He came back in our life when I was 12 on a hit and miss basis so was never much of a "father figure". We did not have a big brother program where i grew up so I never really had a "father figure" to help my development. I was raised by my single mother along with the rest of my siblings. She worked multiple jobs, put herself through school and raised all of us to be law abiding respectful adults. Education was stressed and as a result I was the first person in my family to graduate from college with a BBA. So please do not use lack of a father as an excuse for the way the young adults have turned out in Albany.

Now if you want to blame our leaders who lie, cheat, and steal to get what they want and have a "me" first attitude then I could agree with that being the reason. And I am not limiting this comment on leaders to just Albany. Look at our President, our senators, our governers, etc and all the scandals and cheating and lieing that goes on amongst them. Not great examples for our young people.

agirl_25 2 years, 1 month ago

Walks up and shakes your hand.

AnotherMom 2 years, 1 month ago

Dear confusedCITIZEN: The lil white boy was playing around at 4 p.m. in the afternoon & fell off the back of a car & was accidentally killed. The ones you are defending were deliberately fighting & shooting at one another at 4 a.m. in the morning. Does this help clear things up for you?

agirl_25 2 years, 1 month ago

Thanks AnotherMom..for clearing that up for the confusedCITIZEN and for me. I too was confused as I never knew about the death. I don't get the Herald and never read about him. My heart goes out to the family of the child. How tragic to lose a child, at any age, but one so young and innocent.

FlunkyMonkey 2 years, 1 month ago

It happened while the area was focused on Phliip Phillips was on American Idol. Phillips got 10 minutes of news coverage mostly about his father needing donations to fly to California to watch his son. The tragedy folks are talking about, that could have taught our children a valuable lesson, got an honorable mention.

agirl_25 2 years, 1 month ago

Thanks......I didn't focus a lot of attention on the parades, etc......but do remember how excited the newscasters were as I switched off the 6 o'clock news each evening when they would begin with that as the exciting news of the day...yawn...go figure.

waltspecht 2 years, 1 month ago

Well, looks like if I want Conk Fritters or Jerked anything, I go strapped and have the dog with me. Shame that this goes on. Wonder if it would have happened if the Liquor store had been there instead of the old Howard Johnson's. It would have probably been lit up and definately had cameras rolling. That sort of thing discourages fights. Too much recorded evidance. Glad the Preaches defeated that idea to fix up that area, just a little.

getalife 2 years, 1 month ago

Criminal or not, you were not there so you don’t what happened or know all the details. All the media ever does is take the old and bad of a person and turn into the worst. What about the good he did. Will anybody ever look at that, NO! Because all they see is, he was a GANG BANGER! He made his own money and he can pay his own bills. Why does it always have to be about the taxpayers footing the bill? I don’t get the satisfaction of knowing another life has been taken away because of violence, my satisfaction comes from knowing that God had the opportunity to win over another soul.

Sherwood_Eagle_Alum 2 years, 1 month ago

I understand your point, getalife. We are not talking about a 24 year old who was working 3 jobs to support himself and his family. He was a gang member with an extensive criminal record. That type of lifestyle catches up with you sooner or later.

jsteve74 2 years, 1 month ago

what happen to forgiveness or that ppl change u dont know him so u cant go by what u read

Sherwood_Eagle_Alum 2 years, 1 month ago

My point was that the lifestyle he chose caught up with him. I can forgive him, however as he never caused harm to me or my family it is easy to do.

I don't believe everything I read in the Internet, however I tend to be more receptive to what I read when it is in the form of a news article.

agirl_25 2 years, 1 month ago

getalife......you seem very emotional about this death..as if you have a greater involvement in it than just reading about it and becoming upset because people don't seem to care. Did he really do good as you say? Did you take the time to make an account with the Herald to come in today and join this blog to tell us that? Well what good did he do? What job did he have that he paid his own bills? Come back and tell us about him. Don't let this be your only comment. If you went thru the bother of making the account you must feel strongly about his death. Yes a life has been taken and sadly enough, most are happy he is gone. Blunt enough for you? Their satisfaction comes from knowing he is in Hell if they believe in that..you say your satisfaction comes from knowing God won another soul..so all is fair I guess....

tduncanspradley 2 years, 1 month ago

I do not think he is so emotional about the death but the fact that ppl are online joking when a mother is without a child whether good or bad, he was still someones child. If it were your child good or bad you would not want someone joking about their death. You are no better than the gang banger and the gang banger worked at wal-mart and somewhere else part-time. The choices he made were bad ones and we all have some things we did bad but the difference is we had a chance to get it right and he was caught up in his. But, it makes none of us any better than the gang banger. Sad and pathetic that someone could sit and be so cold about someone elses loss.

tywebb 2 years, 1 month ago

don't you dare sit there and tell me that I'm no better than a dead gang banger! It's no joke! I'm glad the banger is dead! The world is a better place for it! I wish the shooters had better aim and got more of them! And don't give me this crap about we had a chance to get our bad things right, but he was caught up in this! caught up in? he chose it because he thought it made him a bad a$$. I work 60 hours a week.....I pay all of my bills......I make sure my family is taken care of.....I FOLLOW THE LAWS OF THIS LAND......I'm not out drinkin' n bangin' at 4 am! The dead banger is NOWHERE NEAR AS GOOD AS I AM and neither are you!!!!!!

VSU 2 years, 1 month ago

They weren't out there selling girl scout cookies. I can guarandamntee you that.

agirl_25 2 years, 1 month ago

True, not at 4 AM in the morning. I sure do miss those cookies too...especially the chocolate mint ones.

tduncanspradley 2 years, 1 month ago

After reading all the ignorant comments, I must say that not many of you are much better than the gand banged. To sit and talk the way you talk when any life is taken is horrible. What if it were your child gang banger or not that is still someoines child and no parent want to get the news that their child is dead. For all the slick racist comments not all of us dark brown Americans or bad there are good and bad in every race so let's stop acting like it is a black thing. It is a people thing we are all human and we have all made decisions we are not proud of. There are a lot of dark brown Americans who are doing well and so are our children. Everytime I read these sqwaks I realize how racism is still in play in 2012. So, sad but yet you sit on here and act as if you are better than anyone else when in reality you are not by the things that you type. I am a dark brown American, my mom was a single parent, she never lived in the projects as one of the sqwakers put it, she worked 3 jobs, she took care of me, she paid her bills, she was not in the club, my mom owns her house and luxury cars, all paid in full, she has a doctoral degree. I am a mother of 1 I own my home at 31 yrs old and i have luxury cars, i have a very successful busines, so stop with the black ppl bashing on the sly because we are just as successful as any other race there are just as many poor white, mexican , hispanic etc. If anything we should be on here trying to see how we can help these young ppl out the streets not be happy they are killing each other off. Everyone has a purpose and a reason to be here. We all have been through things and sometimes we have the drive to do better on our own and sometimes we need a push to do better. You do not know what the next person struggles are so stop being so judgemental and try to help someone out. There is good and bad in everyone and that is something Albany need to learn. Reading these sqwaks makes me upset to know that ppl are still so simple minded and rude. But, I understand he was a dark brown american so you see it as one less dark brown american on the streets

VSU 2 years, 1 month ago

I work a full time job and part time job, have never been in jail, obey the laws, have no points on my MVR, live a clean life, don't bother other people, got myself in debt at one point but worked my way out of it and didn't have to rob or shoot anybody to get the money as I did it the good old fashion way by working so yes, I am a lot better than these thugs that go around shooting, robbing and killing people.

Hawk59 2 years, 1 month ago

Correction, you are no better than anybody, just different. Do you think God loves you, or any other CYBER-RACIST any more than these so-called THUGS? The answer is NO.

FryarTuk 2 years, 1 month ago

yes, if there is a god that has any sense, he damned well better appeciate the guy or girl busting his/her hump to make his/her life better. If not screw any idea of a divine being.

VSU 2 years, 1 month ago

Hey Hawk, who is alive and who is dead? answer that punk. I live a good clean life, I am still alive, he lived a dirty crime filled life and he's dead because of it. I've been shot in the head and survived two fatal car accidents in my lifetime that could have easily taken my life, but guess what? God was there to help me through and allowed me to live to tell the story. Your friend did not fare too well did he? So yes, I think god has blessed me a little more than your thug life friends.

sm1716 2 years, 1 month ago

Can you truly say your blessed to still be alive after such horrific accidents or could you say you are being punished? It can truly go both ways. We can say that the young kid is blessed to be out of this cruel world that we are living in. The world is filled with so much hatred and hostility and I'm sure you know much about it because your comments are filled with hatred. No one can say that he is in he'll or heaven, because if we really look at how the world is today, I would say this is hell we are living in now. At least we can say he is at peace now. He has no more worries, no more struggles, he doesn't have to cry anymore. Only God knows this kids heart.

VSU 2 years, 1 month ago

sm1716 for the record, I apologize for the above statement, I don't think of you as a dumb___ or wish you to commit suicide, but it is my belief that I am blessed for still being alive whether you agree or disagree it does not matter but I don't agree with people getting killed, I get tired of hearing about it, but face it, when people mess around with gangs, sooner or later it's gonna catch up to them. One either makes the right decisions or the wrong decisions. Obviously he made the wrong decision. You are right, white people do some shady things like the Columbine (Sp) shootings, The recent Colorado shootings, that lunatic in Arizona that shot Gifford and other people. I guess people don't feel threatened by them, but you never know what psycho is lurking out there. Once again I apologize about the above comments. You seem like a sensible person, and I shouldn't have put you down. Sometimes i think I would be better off staying away from this site as I am really not like this, but get caught up in the reports, but this is the last I am commenting on this story.

tduncanspradley 2 years, 1 month ago

well I own a business and my husband works a full time job, I have never been in jail, my husband served 2 yrs in prison in 1995, i have 3 points on my mvr and my husband as well, we live a clean christian life, we have great credit and we are good citizens and this makes us no better than anyone. The credit bureau sees you as bad when you are in debt so would you say you were bad when your credit was bad? No so why are we happy about a loss is the question?

VSU 2 years, 1 month ago

Having bad credit doesn't make you a bad person. Going around robbing, shooting and killing people makes one a bad person. As they say "Live my the sword, die by the sword". BTW you are still alive are you not? So God has blessed you as well as me, but that thug was not blessed.

FryarTuk 2 years, 1 month ago

Yes, if there is a god that has any sense, it damned well better appeciate the guy or girl busting his/her hump to make his/her life better. If not screw any idea of a divine being.

RedEric 2 years, 1 month ago

As I have said before, it is not a black thing nor a white thing it is a welfare thing. I would love to take a group to SE Iowa where small farms disappeared and so did most of the small town population. Most of those remaining are on welfare. The same problems we complain about here exist there. Crime, drugs, unwed mothers etc everything we have here. There is really only one difference. They are ALL white. Welfare destroys people.

Sherwood_Eagle_Alum 2 years, 1 month ago

I don't think it's that he was black, I mean dark brown, it's that he was a gang member.

agirl_25 2 years, 1 month ago

Just because it is utterly ridiculous to call yourself an African-American and never having set foot in Africa, as I said before, it would be as ridiculous for me to call myself a car if I stood in a garage......please, please, please do not make it any sillier to now call yourself a DARK BROWN AMERICAN. You are a black American or an American Negro or just plain Negro with roots in Africa and if you find that term offensive I suggest you take it up with the Merriam-Wesbster Dictionary people and all the other editions of books that have words in alphabetical arrangement explaining their use, pronunciation, meaning, etc., etc. OK folks.......go for it.......let the hate comments begin........lets start with...."you are such a racist" and take it from there.....in 3....2....1..........

NOT RACIST JUST IGNORANT. GOOD NIGHT

agirl_25 2 years, 1 month ago

Only one racist comment..........and a good night.....ok.......well hope you slept well....

Clyde 2 years, 1 month ago

I didn't say a kid has no chance, I said a kid "just about" has no chance. What I meant was how hard it was for a kid living in an environment surrounded with "just about" everyone they know BEING in a gang and many of those kids are also in a very low income family which is something a kid in a family who can afford a Christian Private school and all the whistles and bells that go with it DOES NOT know what's like because most of them live in better neighborhoods AND most have two parents or at least a serious family and/or church support group in thier life...COACH. Also, I did not make excuses. I basically told it like it was. Yes, we all do have to make our own choices but when all you know, all you've been around your entire life is violence, your Dad in jail or prison, no male mentor of any type...add it all together and a kid...here I go again "all most" has no chance. I've witnessed this personally. I've witnessed a kid in the middle of all this fighting with all thier might to make the best grades, stay away from gangs, drugs, violence. It was the saddest thing I've ever seen so until you take off those fancy boat shoes you're wearing and put on an old pair that the kid I know wears you don't know what YOU'D do either.

tduncanspradley 2 years, 1 month ago

you better tell them. They do not know the struggles, I was raised in alow income home, my mom never lived in the projects and we never had welfare but she worked 3 jobs and aia never saw her, I was baby sat in the projects, i was pressured everyday to be in a gang. My mothers husband beat the brakes off of she and I. We went days w/o food, I was picked on at school and tortured, I am a rape baby so my dad was not in my life my mom had me at 13 years of age. While she was struggling not to be on welfare I was being molested bc she was trying to make a life for me with what bread crumbs she could. It took everything I knew all my might and the power of God not to be in tghe streets. So ppl dont know the struggles if they have not been through real struggles. If they had they would not laugh at such a loss

agirl_25 2 years, 1 month ago

Who has laughed? Laughed because he got killed? How dare you!!

FryarTuk 2 years, 1 month ago

This is an impersonal site to share such personal and important history. I assume it's true and I assume you have latched onto a set of values that provides strength and stability. Good for you. What I don't understand is the magnificent opportunity blacks, it might as well be said, have in this community to grab hold of leadership opportunities and the wherewithal to help the black students and families but come up with Josh Murfree, James Bush, Anita BW and Velvet Riggins. Folks who are actually stealing or abetting the stealing of lunch money and program funds from desparate children. Say something to the powers that control city funds and throw hundreds of thousands of dollars into somebody's pocket in the name of providing the poor with housing. Go tell it on the mountain that people at DCSS and City of Albany need to get their stuff together and get things done.

agirl_25 2 years, 1 month ago

Fryar, that is one of the most beautiful and well written post I have ever seen on here. So well said and you left out so many names but we all know who they are and the programs that you mean. How sad that they use them as a front to line their pockets in the name of doing good for those less fortunate. As far as the power that controls any funding, what has become of human decency, morality and ethics? How do you address the inherent human need to believe in either of the 3 and knowingly put them aside?

Sherwood_Eagle_Alum 2 years, 1 month ago

Please don't talk down to me because you think that by me going to a private school I somehow had it so easy.

My parents don't drive a BMW, we don't have a vacation home, heck, we only went on a few vacations during the 18 years I lived at home. My parents valued my education, which puts me at a significant advantage over kids like Dontavious, and I understand that. The problem is this kids parents. How many times have I driven past a neighborhood where the owners/renters make significantly less money than me or my parents and yet they drive nicer cars and have more expensive clothes. It's all about priorities.

Sherwood_Eagle_Alum 2 years, 1 month ago

Whether he was a kid or not is irrelevant. My statement was about how he was raised.

Clyde 2 years, 1 month ago

No they don't. Some of the most judemental people, both white and black, that have lived all thier life in the nice neighborhoods with moms and dads or family support all around, all the good things in life have no clue at all what's it's like. None. It's easy for them to look down thier nose at us and easy to tell us it's our own fault, that we have the choice. Of course we all have a choice but they just don't know. They have no clue at all of the subculture that lives right here under thier long nose that they look down, that live in an upside down world where everything that is crazy to them is normal every day living for us. I'm not making excuses for Dontavious or anyone else. It just really erks me when people make comments and judgments about things they no nothing at all about.

VSU 2 years, 1 month ago

I remember the days when people got married as husband and wives and raised a nice friendly family whose kids grew up to be upstanding citizens. Today people don't get married, have kids to draw welfare as they make more money having babies than they do going out getting jobs. On top of couples not getting married the father would go around getting 10 or 15 other women pregnant and most of these kids don't even know who their fathers are. You can talk about no father figures and growing up without a father, but ask yourself this one question. Who made that decision? The biggest thing society lacks today and that is family values.

tduncanspradley 2 years, 1 month ago

Mr.VSU, you must be speaking of welfare from back in the day nowadays welfare has a cap on the amount you can get regardless of how many children you have. I agree that we should make better choices and wait to marry before having children if you are allowed that option. In my moms case she was raped. Yes, they made the decision and that all boils down to looking to the root of the problem. Most are dealing with a low self image bc they have been led to think they were inferior to others. So, they go around seeking to fill a void, they are made to feel bad at home bc their parents do not know how to show love bc they were never showed love bc their great grand parents were around during slavery being raped by master and they never learned love but only how to survive so then you have a generation of no love. All they know to do is survive by any means necessary. I am talking from knowledge. I asked my grandmother once why one of my aunts and one of my uncles looked different from everyone else he began to explain to me how the massa raped her repeatedly. Then my aunts and uncles did not have the luxury of having a two parent home bc some caucasian men ran him out of albany and he was forced to change his name and leave his family fearing for his life for years. We found my grandad about 5 years ago he was 93 and he died so we never got to know him all bc he was making something out of himself and it was not accepted. You sit and look down on my race but as soon as we start doing good that is an issue as well. I am going to leave this alone bc it is a touchy subject for me to see such ignorance on here when someone has a loss. Ido not care black, white, blue or green bc we are all Gods children and we are all human and have all done wrong. So when a person has not been raised in a good environment and that is all they know that is what happens. If you want to see a change go in the hood and be a change not to look down on them but help them show them a better way. Help that w

JustAnotherVoice 2 years, 1 month ago

I found your family genealogy puzzling. You said, "... they were never showed love bc their great grand parents were around during slavery being raped by master..." And, "I asked my grandmother once why one of my aunts and one of my uncles looked different from everyone else he began to explain to me how the massa raped her repeatedly."

By your account, you are 31 years old and you are stating your aunt and one of your uncles were the product of a "massa" rape? All slaves were set free in 1865.

And, surely you aren't blaming SLAVERY as the reason Dougherty County is filled with crime and gangs?!

agirl_25 2 years, 1 month ago

I love the way history is being re-written by her, doncha?

tduncanspradley 2 years, 1 month ago

then you need to look deeper bc my great grandmother was not born until 1902 sweetie and she was a slave. What you think mean nothing to me. I am not blaming slavery that was brought up bc i said we need to get to the root of the problem to help these ppl change their mind set

VSU 2 years, 1 month ago

Obviously Duncan you don't know what you are talking about. Welfare is worse today than it ever was. In fact welfare is out of control. Millions of unwed mothers without father figures, it didn't used to be that way. I remember several black families that were happily married and raised good families, but you don't see much of that today. Sometimes I wonder what planet you are from.

agirl_25 2 years, 1 month ago

Duncan.........When I worked home health I knew many black families that I considered middle class. They owned businesses that thrived and to this day still do. You would be surprised at some of the buisnesses I am talking about. They passed them down to their children who still maintain the same quality and fine service the parents and grandparents instilled in them to provide to the public. It was always a pleasure and a treat to make my home visits to their home, because it gave me a wonderful opportunity to experience black culture first hand. Don't give me that crap about the whites always looking down on blacks and don't give me crap about my token black family. You know nothing about the other black families I spent time with, or the stories they told me..probably truer stories than you can ever imagine...not some "massa" tales. Time for you to get the chip off your shoulder and start to live...truly live....I am having the best years of my life and I am not a spring chicken by any means but it will be a cold day in Hell before I give a rat's patootie what happened in the 1860's. Get over it..... I can't change it.....I wasn't there...I didn't make it happen....I can't make it better...life goes on....live life....

tduncanspradley 2 years, 1 month ago

first of all I am over it bc I was not in that time I made that comment letting him know that we need to get to the root of the problem to change the ppl mindset. I do not have a chip on my shoulder I have friends of several different races as well as family members from different races. And, for your information I also know a lot of successful black families, mine is one of them. I am fortunate that my family members are all workign and live on their own without welfare or foodstamps. We either own our own business or work good jobs. WE are not looking for hand out or blaming anyone for our situation. My husband and I are doing good, we live in a 5 bedroom house, drive nice cars, our children are in A good school, we are in a good church, we are both christians, our children make all A's, They are good at sports, we own a vacatioin home, we are not fussing or bickering everyday, we pray as a family and read our bibles together. We raise our children to do good, we volunteer and anything else y0u can think of. so there is no chip on my shoulder. And I did not say white folks always look down on black ppl, I said someof us were raised to feel liike others were better than us. I live everyday to the fullest, myself, my white friends and mexican friends, As a matter of fact my best friend whom is white her dad gave me all the money I needed for my beauty pageant when i was 18 so I have nothing against any race. So i do not need you to tell me to live life bc i live life everyday. I am happy!!

FryarTuk 2 years, 1 month ago

"I am happy! I am happy! I am HAPPEEE!" she screamed as they drug her off the stage.

Amazed2 2 years, 1 month ago

When did Albany State starting age limit

Clyde 2 years, 1 month ago

The men made that decision, to a big degree anyway and I believe it will take us men standing up and being there for our kids for things to begin to change. God gave kids a mom and a dad for a reason. A family unit. There are things that a man can do that a woman cannot provide and things a woman does that a man cannot provide, both very special, very vital in the proper upbringing of a kid. When that unit breaks, it is not good. Yeah, the kid can survive through it. I'm one of them. But there is something lost that is very hard for a single parent, be it mom or dad to accomplish on thier own. So yes VSU, family values, but, when it's impossible for the mom and dad to be together the one that is missing. male or female, can be provided and if it's done right a loving mentoring wonderful relationship can happen but it takes people, I believe more so MEN, to stand up and step up. For thier own kids. If they do not have kids or thier kids are grown join or create you own mentoring program. You don't have to look far especially in our home town to find a kid that would love to be taken to a ball game, to help do a project together. There are many things to do with a kid that will keep them busy and away from a bad environment. In Albany I think too many people believe that there's no hope. There is hope and His name is Jesus Christ. Ask Him to help, and then introduce the kid to Him. Let the kid see Him through you in all you do, all you say. The Bible is your family value instructional guide VSU so I agree totally.

agirl_25 2 years, 1 month ago

Sounds like you did OK, Clyde. Congrats. You seem to have found comfort in Christ and that is good. If it brings you peace I am happy for you. Good post. I know not to even begin to comment on how I was brought up because I know I will be jumped on....hahaha..but I am happy for you because you seem to be content.

USTPC 2 years, 1 month ago

As far as racism it is on both sides and goes as high as our current President. Don't believe that? Use the link to take you to you tube and watch him appeal to the African American voters. If you do not want to use the link then go to youtube and type in: President Obama Announces the 2012 Launch of African Americans for Obama

If Romney were to put out a similar video appealing to the "white population" to vote for him the media and Sharpton and Jackson would be screaming at the top of their lungs about racism by Romney. But you have not heard a peep from any of them about Obama. Go figure.

VSU 2 years, 1 month ago

You know how that goes. It's okay for blacks to be racist. They accuse whites of being racist but they are more racist than the whites.

sm1716 2 years, 1 month ago

My heart and prayers goes out to the child's mother. It is very sad that so many young adults have been killed due to drugs, alcohol, and guns, however the cruel and negative comments will not change the problems that we are experiencing in society. I read all the negative comments in the herald, but yet there are few people whom try to make a difference in a troubled child's life or try to help with rehabilitation. If everyone would put their heart to work and start praying and helping maybe a change would come.

jsteve74 2 years, 1 month ago

VSU n albanyistoodarkntheday a young man is dead n u joke on it what if it was one or ur lil white boys. No one deserves to be killed black, white, hispanic, asian, etc.. Karma will catch up with u. Oh it already did ur kids listen to r&b and date out their race. It's 2012 grow up none of these ppl live nor grew up in da projects. Infact u two should commit suicide.

sm1716 2 years, 1 month ago

Wow! Are you serious? For a person whom have experienced such a traumatic experience in your life I would think you would have a little more compassion and love in your heart. You are truly a bitter and hateful person. You need to find forgiveness and love to deal with your bitterness and maybe then you will become more compassionate and loveing.

VSU 2 years, 1 month ago

Whose bitter? A punk tells me to commit suicide, so i am just telling the punk to commit suicide. Why is it okay for that punk to tell me to commit suicide, but I am bitter for telling him to commit suicide? Is this part of that double standard thing? Not being bitter, but better him than me.

tywebb 2 years, 1 month ago

actually, it looks like the Karma caught up with the banger!

Sherwood_Eagle_Alum 2 years, 1 month ago

A little harsh there, JSTEVE74. You are not thinking clearly because in your blind rage, you kinda made yourself look like an a$$. I agree that the racism needs to stop, but I dont think their points were that they were glad the kid is dead because of his color. It was that he was reportedly a gang member.

Are you saying that because it is 2012 that there are no more "projects"? I am honestly a little confused by that statement.

Jacob 2 years, 1 month ago

leaders of criminal gangs do not deserve sympathy. they are a cancer that needs removal.

jsteve74 2 years, 1 month ago

You ppl talking bout ur tax dollars u dont know it these kids had insurance or not. You should be nad that dont enough of your tax dollars go to improving schools and programs to keep our kids away from this type of activity.

agirl_25 2 years, 1 month ago

Well..... this ignorant racist (as I have been called, among other things) has said her last thing on the matter......the guy was apparently in the wrong place at the wrong time.....was no angel...had a criminal record....so what do you expect...you run with a gang of bad people..sooner or later you are going to get hurt or dead...right? So I have enjoyed the debate but I must go along with the ones who think the way I do..he was the bad guy. Sorry, but that is where my vote goes. And I don't vote often.....to be sure. So enjoy the debate......it has truly been an enjoyable one and some items were very touching to read. Bye bye

Blog entries