BLOG: Homeless man wants 'piece of the pie' after good deed.

This photo provided by Jennifer Foster shows New York City Police Officer Larry DePrimo presenting a barefoot homeless man in New York's Time Square with boots Nov. 14, 2012 . Foster was visiting New York with her boyfriend on Nov. 14, when she came across the shoeless man asking for change in Times Square. As she was about to approach him, she said the officer came up to the man with a pair of all-weather boots and thermal socks on the frigid night. She took the picture on her cellphone. It was posted Tuesday night to the NYPD's official Facebook page and became an instant hit. More than 350,000 users "liked" it as of Thursday afternoon, and over 100,000 shared it.

Seriously? The homeless man who became the recipient of a $100 pair of boots thanks to the generosity of a New York City police officer wants a "piece of the pie" after he says the photo of the officer's act of kindness went viral without his permission.

The man, identified by the New York Times as Jeffrey Hillman of South Plainfield, N.J., told a Times reporter who found him wandering the streets of New York — barefoot again, mind you — that he has a claim because the photo was circulated without permission.

photo

J.D. Sumner

Hillman told the reporter that he was barefoot because "he's hidden them ... they are worth a lot of money."

Officer Larry DePrimo and Hillman became famous after a photo was taken of DePrimo buying Hillman the pair of boots for Hillman went viral on the Internet and across various media formats.

Comments

whattheheck 1 year, 4 months ago

Take the boots back as he freezes to death out of stupidity which, by the way, can't be fixed in this case for sure.

VSU 1 year, 4 months ago

My thoughts exactly, the ungrateful hermit.

alleebrin 1 year, 4 months ago

I'd say some lawyer passing by, and without anything better to do, latched onto this one! lol

CKC 1 year, 4 months ago

A lawyer would know that there would be no viable case against a person taking a photo of another person in public and then posting it on the internet, as no one in public has any legal expectation of privacy.

dingleberry 1 year, 4 months ago

A good lawyer would know but as we know the number of lawyers known to know may not be great, an unknown number who do know shall we say. But these guys are hungry, the lawyers that is, and there may be a taker.

CKC 1 year, 4 months ago

" [...] he says the photo of the officer's act of kindness went viral without his permission."

I doubt he'd understand that he has no legal expectation of privacy if he's outdoors, or in any public area - which, of course, includes the sidewalk. It's perfectly legal to take a photo of someone in public and post it wherever you please.

So there's no "piece of the pie" for him in this matter ... except for his new pair of $100 shoes and a bit of newfound fame, that is.

VSU 1 year, 4 months ago

I always say...be careful who you try to help...you just never know. Talk about greed, this man wasn't satisfied with a free pair of boots. Gimme more, Gimme much more.

Outtahere 1 year, 4 months ago

Of course he wants a piece of the pie and I would too, especially if I was homeless. I can't believe some of the heartless things I've read about this man. He is a veteran and having a hard time right now.

How is it hard to understand that a homeless man would want money from his name and image being shared everywhere? HE IS HOMELESS AND HUNGRY and somehow he's "greedy" for hoping he may get some help out of this?? I'm extremely dissappointed in my fellow man and VSU, especially you!

VSU 1 year, 4 months ago

Sounds to me he just wants to take advantage of an opportunity. Someone gives him something, and he acts like they did him wrong because he is in a photo. No surprise you would call me out specifically as if everybody else has written nice things about it. Get over it, the sun will rise tomorrow.

He said he hid them, probably sold them for a bottle of whiskey.

Outtahere 1 year, 4 months ago

Sorry, VSU, I thought your words were harsh and I commented on it. I know we don't know each other but sometimes I guess I think I do from reading and commenting on this site so much.You just really caught me off guard because I didn't think I would hear that coming from you.

Anyway, you have a point about the "Gimme more" attitude. It happens a lot but it's not the case every time. I do feel bad for the guy, even if he bought a bottle of whiskey with the money.

VSU 1 year, 4 months ago

Don't get me wrong. People think I am against helping people and against poor people. 1) For helping people I am skeptical because there are so many scam & con artists out there you don't really know who really needs help or who is just out there to get something for nothing. People go into food banks and food lines for the hungry and yet they have a refrigerator and freezer full of chicken, hamburgers, pork chops etc. 2) Regarding poor people, I am all for helping the legitimate poor, handicapped & elderly, but a person being too lazy & sorry to work to me doesn't qualify for charity. Sue me or hate me for feeling that way, that's just the way I feel about it. Sorry!

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 4 months ago

This is a scene right out of the book "Atlas Shrugged".

billybob 1 year, 4 months ago

Read the whole story. The man hid the boots because they are valuable and he could be killed by someone wanting to steal them. That is the reality he faces. He could be killed for the boots. He was very appreciative of the officer in his comments. I think his "piece of the pie" comment is with regard to the way in which various media outlets are attempting to profit off of the situation.

waltspecht 1 year, 4 months ago

Look, folks in NYC have been killed over a pair of sneakers, and Bums (what they used to be called) continually steal from each other and any unsuspecting individual. If what I learned growing up around them is still true, those boots aren't hidden, they have either been taken, or sold for a bottle of cheap wine. The Bowery used to be full of these folks, only back them no one worried about them being a Veteran. That concern seemed to develop with the close of the Vietnam War. I can remember the Bartender at McSorleys Old Ale House running them off when they tried to raid the free lunch counter.

LoneCycler 1 year, 4 months ago

You can't call them "bums" these days. Now they're called "outdoor wine enthusiasts."

iko 1 year, 4 months ago

The man should be flogged.

AlbanyIsTooDarkDuringTheDay 1 year, 4 months ago

Flogged?!

How about we stick you in a cage with Mr. Hillman of South Plainfield, N.J., put a bat in the middle, and let you two battle to the death. We will see who the better person is then.

With idiotic comments like this, why would anyone be opposed to birth control or abortion? Jeeze Louise, talk about clouding the gene pool!

Jacob 1 year, 4 months ago

I agree in part. The homeless bum and all who agree that he should profit from someone else's act of charity are the poster children for abortion.

Outtahere 1 year, 4 months ago

Nice to know you think I should have been aborted.

So, Jacob, one who is without blame or sin, could you please tell me why a homeless person would not be thinking of money? If anyone could use a little help, wouldn't it be a veteran who is sleeping on the streets?

Jacob 1 year, 4 months ago

You don't read well, do you? The homeless guy got a little help. He now wants more. Just goes to show, entitlement mentality is prevalent everywhere. Here's another idea. If you want to have things, consider a JOB. Since I like to eat and have a roof, I actually get up everyday go to one. You and the other demanding beggars ought to look into that concept..

Outtahere 1 year, 4 months ago

You don't comprehend well do you? The homeless guy got a little help. He still needs more. Just goes to show, extreme poverty is prevalent everywhere. Here's another idea. If you want to have things, consider giving back to those less fortunate. I get up every morning myself and get to work by 7:00 am. I work hard for my money but I also know that it feels good to give back to others and no good deed goes unseen! Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!

Jacob 1 year, 4 months ago

It is better to teach a man to fish than to give him a fish. You and your ilk will never get that concept, clearly.

Outtahere 1 year, 4 months ago

Yeah, you're right. My ilk and I should really stop being compassionate towards people in need. I mean, what in the world are we thinking; it's Christmas and we should worry about our four and no more! Thanks, Jacob, now I know!

VietVet1 1 year, 4 months ago

Ummm makes you wonder who he voted for!

darnette0101 1 year, 4 months ago

This guy is probably either an alcoholic, on drugs or mentally disabled. Cut him some slack. He couldn't have been thinking right.

Black_Falcon 1 year, 4 months ago

As a junior officer in the military, I was once advised by a colonel, "Be careful of the good that you do because sometimes it can do you no good."

Words to live by

Abytaxpayer 1 year, 4 months ago

He just wants his “Fair Share”. Remember his President has been preaching everyone is Entitled to your “Fair Share” even if you do nothing to earn it but sit on your butt. Come on all you Dumbacrates send this man your money!

dingleberry 1 year, 4 months ago

Ah, one man's fair share is another man's paycheck, or something like that, don't ya think? I "gave" part of my share at the office, as a payroll deduction and the rest of my share is coming in a wire transfer from T-bills China.bought.

ittybittyme 1 year, 4 months ago

Outtahere is naive and delusional!

Outtahere 1 year, 4 months ago

Yeah, you're probably right! Caring about other human beings is completely delusional! I mean, a homeless veteran, barefoot in the cold should only get criticism and judgement. After all, he deserves this right? Isn't that what you're implying?

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 4 months ago

Possibly, you could give this guy a million bucks and come back in 12 months time and he'd be sitting right there in that same spot looking just like he does now. Right?

MHjohnson 1 year, 4 months ago

My husband works in center city Philadelphia, and takes the trains in. He says the homeless stealing shoes from each other is definitely a problem. They sleep in the subway tunnels, take their shoes off and tie them to their wrists and stuff so they don't get stolen while they sleep. The homeless guy's story could be true, but I doubt it.

Tonto 1 year, 4 months ago

Lots of assumptions going on. Being a vet doesn't mean you were a good person or are homeless because of something the system did to you. It doesn't mean you're an animal either and deserving of scorn. Not all "bums" are alcoholic's. No one knows enough FACTS about this fella to judge his reasoning..except that it may be not the best no matter what the topic considering his circumstances. The only way he would know he was now "famous' is from folks telling him that and either them or he equating fame to fortune. In his case, who can blame him.

tirral 1 year, 4 months ago

The man is mentally ill. Just because this is a reprehensible way to react to charity does not mean he should be hated for it. He is homeless because he is sick, and deserves pity rather than rebuke.

Most of America's homeless are homeless because they have some psychiatric diagnosis. He seems to fit the criteria for paranoid schizophrenia. Many of you, including the author, who hold him to some normal standard of right action are ignoring the fact that he isn't normal. If he were normal he would be living in the apartment which has been provided for him.