Squawk of the day - Dec. 4, 2012

I loved the honesty from the restaurant owners downtown. I think they’ve hit it dead on the nail, and I will continue to support all of them. Please listen to these people.

Comments

waltspecht 1 year, 4 months ago

To draw in people you have to have something unique about the product. Average good restaurant fair will not draw in folks. You have to have something people are willing to go out of their way to get. That is the only way you are going to make a Reataurant in Downtown profitable. You need outside business, not just locals to succeed.

chinaberry25 1 year, 4 months ago

Price will control the folks who eat there. I do not allow myself to spend over $6 to eat for lunch, if that. Anymore, you will not get my business. Folks do not make much more than $8 per hour and I should not have to put 1 hour of work to pay for lunch. Restaurants like the Quickie and Jimmies are or were reasonable. Quickie shut down for reasons of family. Albany has been told that they pay scale is a factor for some businesses coming here or not coming here. This is a very important factor. Paula Deen probably could not make it downtown.

Sherwood_Eagle_Alum 1 year, 4 months ago

Can you eat a healthy meal for under $6 at a restaurant? Maybe a sandwich at subway with a water?

sad_for_albany 1 year, 4 months ago

I think the resturants downtown have excellent food. Unfortunately, with my job, I can't get out to eat there very often during the day. I liked to go to Riverfront on Friday nights when they were open. I think they have the best BBQ in Albany. Cafe 230 had excellent food too. I just think it is going to be hard for anyone to keep something going downtown just catering to the lunch crowd. San Joes seemed to have a good thing doing downtown after dark. Too bad the building owner ran them off with a lack of building maintenance.

DaneGlesak 1 year, 4 months ago

I've lived here all my life. The city has made numerous attempts to draw people downtown. None have worked, not enough to provide enough regular business to keep each business afloat long term. There has to be a reason why people do not want to go downtown on a regular basis. One reason that I think would help would be to replace something that was taken away years ago....a walking beat cop. Police presence during the hours that these businesses are open would give people, especially women, peace of mind. My wife came close to getting robbed coming out of the downtown library in the middle of the day and if it was not for another concerned citizen who observed what was taking place and stepped in who knows what might have happened. After that incident she refuses to go back to any business downtown alone. Just one police person on foot patrol. How much of a problem would that be for APD to do? The police on bikes, the officers on horses during parades etc. We have the resources but unless it's a special event you're on your own in downtown Albany. Street walkers are all over especially the entrance to the library, the over hang entrance to the auditorium, many other places. Why does APD allow them to stay there? They arrest pan handlers and people who present themselves as homeless people on North Slappey, but you can beg all day 365 in downtown Albany and not be bothered by the law. Is it any wonder why the businesses suffer?

VSU 1 year, 4 months ago

With the police station downtown, a patrolman could walk straight from the station and patrol the areas downtown. They wouldn't even need a vehicle. They could alternate...may be a good way for some of them to shed a few pounds.

KaosinAlbany 1 year, 4 months ago

People have to call the law first and complain. I have and APD always responds if a pan handler is being a nuisance. People, you have to call 911 first. How hard is that? There is a beat cop in downtown. He's a really nice guy and he always responds when I call for any kind of assistance downtown. Once again, you have to call first.

alleebrin 1 year, 4 months ago

Been telling you all, it's all at the Mall. Why should I drive all the way downtown when the best food in Albany is around the Mall?? When the Mall was constructed, downtown began to die and nothing is going to revive it - least nothing that I can imagine!

Oldguy 1 year, 4 months ago

This group of comments are right on target. I have lived in Albany for 57 years and have witnessed the changes over the years. When I moved here Sears was a catalog store with some tools, appliances and lawn mowers. There were several good restaurants, clothing stores, furniture stores, etc. downtown. You could go downtown at night and window shop with no fear of being robbed. There were at least 2 beat cops 24 hours a day.The Mid-Town shopping Center on Slappey started the downfall of downtown. The Mall hammered in the final nails in downtowns coffin. The businesses that moved into downtown were not very high quality and high rents and utilities forced may of them to close or move to a better location. You know the old saying that the three most important things for a business is location, location, location. Downtown Albany is not the location now and the inner city is gone. There have been millions of dollars invested in downtown over the last few years with no evident improvement. Simply tear down the old buildings and rebuild with quality businesses make it into an open air Mall with a police presence and ample parking that would attract customers and visitors. Many of the people going to the Mall drive through downtown to get there give them an inviting business district and they would shop there. The owners of these buildings will not allow that as they could not then collect the extremely high rent that they want and could not use their losses as a tax shelter. Downtown Albany will remain an eye sore with millions more invested with no improvement. DOWNTOWN IS DEAD FACE IT AND MOVE ON. Stop the waste of money and pit it where it is needed like bringing new businesses and jobs to Albany, not stupid looking arches and welcome signs. Just my 2 cents.

Kenny36 1 year, 4 months ago

Oh please, come on people --- a police officer walking the streets of Downtown Albany, that is a joke. That would be too much like having to work. They have police cars to drive home. Walk ---- are you kidding ?

iknowu 1 year, 4 months ago

downtown is dead forever. period.

Outtahere 1 year, 4 months ago

Once I was in the drive-thru at KFC's near Jimmie's and there was a drunk beggar swaying by the food board asking people for money. I did not feel safe at all. I'm all for helping people, but when I'm by myself, I chose not to. I think they called the cops on him but feeling unsafe downtown is a big reason people just don't go.

waltspecht 1 year, 4 months ago

Your experience is unfortunately not uncommon. Ie was there several times years ago and there was an individual shucking and jiving to his Walkman. Trouble was you could clearly see there were no batteries in it. My Daughter was driving by with my Grandchild. An individual came up to the car and was promtly greeted by Lady, my Airedale. The individual decided it was time to leave. My Daughter claimed my dog was prejudiced. I said no, she was reacting to a percieved danger, otherwise how would you explain her playing with my friends of Color when they were at the house?

Black_Falcon 1 year, 4 months ago

Its funny how people blame police officers Or (the police) for crimes yet no one blames doctors for people being sick...

Things that make you go hmmm

FryarTuk 1 year, 4 months ago

Do you think the uncontrollable things that cause sickness - bacteria, viruses, pathogens, pus, scum etc. can be compared to the controllable things that cause crime, such as criminals? Well, perhaps they can.

Sherwood_Eagle_Alum 1 year, 4 months ago

Falcon thought he/she was being clever. Not so fast!(Lee Corso voice)

dickyboy 1 year, 4 months ago

Downtown died years ago when the government took over the 200 blocks of Pine and Broad at one point there was over 60 stores and offices in that one block.. remember Terry Lees sandwich shop..Paul the tailor.. Crowe drugs..Kress'..that block was the heart...blame our local government...