APD investigation ends with captain's resignation

ALBANY, Ga. -- Officers kept an Albany Police Department captain under investigation for possible "double-dipping," or working at another job, while on the clock with the police and other violations for months, according to an investigation report.

After an Oct. 16 suspension with pay until further notice, APD Capt. Darrin Abner handed in his resignation on Oct. 17, stated the Office of Professional Standards report.

According to officials, during the investigation, which stretched from March until his resignation, Abner served with the Albany-Dougherty Drug Unit.

"I hate to lose anyone in these circumstances; I'm disappointed in him," Drug Unit Commander Maj. Bill Berry said. "He put in lots of years of service. It is a shame. I hate for it to have happened to him."

The investigation launched after allegations of the double-dipping, misusing computer records and misuse of county vehicles from August 2011 to October 2012 were filed, according to the employee notification.

Berry led the investigation, the memo said, with police Maj. Russell Barnes from the Office of Professional Standards also involved.

Possibly the most serious violation, working at Albany State University while drawing pay for the same hours from APD, could not be proven, the report said.

The report cited a lack of records at the second job at ASU and the method of record-keeping at ADDU in regard to compensatory time off, saying those factors made "sustaining any possible double-dipping allegations problematic."

The initial internal investigation summary stated that there were 35 other possible procedural violations. The violations included personal use of assigned vehicles, at times driving to Tallahassee and Atlanta.

Other reported violations included dishonesty by keeping his job at ASU secret from Berry by saying he "had to help care for his special needs son" while he taught a class.

During interviews, Abner admitted to holding the teaching job and to personal use of vehicles to drive all over Dougherty and Lee counties. He denied driving to Atlanta and out of state.

The investigation included placing GPS trackers on the vehicles that turned up where Abner drove, when he drove there and even what speed he drove. Abner admitted to two Atlanta trips and the Tallahassee drive, the report stated.

A tracker malfunctioned and time spent by investigators on other investigations "only further went to show these violations were a routine pattern and common practice for Captain Abner," the report stated.

According to the report, Abner's resignation was accepted by APD Chief John Proctor, who through a police spokeswoman said the allegations that started the investigations were "not sustained."

Comments

waltspecht 1 year, 11 months ago

No, but apparently he did lie to investigators about the Atlanta trips and Tallahassee the first time until confronted by evidance. That alone should get his Post Certification pulled. Why isn't that being persued? Or is he one of those that has too much on others?

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 11 months ago

"Lack of records at the second job at ASU......" Say it ain't so!!

LoneCycler 1 year, 11 months ago

Compensatory time is paid leave from work given instead of overtime pay and it saves the city/county money. I don't see a problem with the Capt. spending his time off working another job. What's the big deal there? The article doesn't tell us how many years he's worked for the police and will now have to do without any retirement pay. I suppose he'll get a full time job at ASU.

dingleberry 1 year, 11 months ago

Worked at ASU at least since 2008. Watch the WALB video on the matter.

FlunkyMonkey 1 year, 11 months ago

Double dipping is working at another job on during your time off. It is working a second job while you are on duty. Thus, you are getting paid twice from two different employers for the same hours. The only way you can be in two places at one time and working both jobs legally is if you had been cloned....Then he lied and used a APD vehicle to tend to personal business all over Dougherty and Lee Counties. Finally, he didn't disclose his second job as is required in the City of Albany employee's handbook. Instead he lied about what he was doing. Yep, don't need another dishonest cop in Albany.

RedEric 1 year, 11 months ago

Lying and cheating could increase his cred for the ASU job.

VietVet1 1 year, 11 months ago

Let's wait a couple of months to see if he files as EEO complaint and sues the city. I can see his $$$ reward coming.

FlunkyMonkey 1 year, 11 months ago

Agreed....its the way of the Albany dishonest!!

beartrap 1 year, 11 months ago

lack of records at Albany State.....another indication that school is a financial and academic mess...

strictlybusiness 1 year, 11 months ago

Not suprised at this at all....worked with him several years ago and he is lucky he didn't get caught with his other unethical, illegal activities.

henryslittleboy 1 year, 11 months ago

WHERE IS THE PUNISHMENT? According to the American justice system this is called stealing. They just let him retire and I suppose get a retirement. Whoever permitted this should be FIRED.....They have now set a president. Hence forth, any ordinaryn citizen can no longer be punished for stealing. If they attempt to do this, get a lawyer.

Parent 1 year, 11 months ago

He is not retiring. He resigned, which means quit.

bubbasmithredneck 1 year, 11 months ago

who cares?......this should not have even made the news. Sounds like a APD internal problem and they handled it...so what? Dont waste ink on such boring A stories.....

waltspecht 1 year, 11 months ago

I care for one. I think we have both been around long enough to know this is a good deal. Meaning if you come after me, I will disclose all that I know about you. The swiming pools at cost, the relatives released without charges, the good vehicle buys at the Dealership and for good measure some probable bending of the laws and evidancury procedure. I for one think we need to know just why he was dealt with so lieniently. Plus why are you wanting to quiet it? You involved in the coverup or the potential disclosure?

agonized 1 year, 11 months ago

I agree with Walt. It's a pretty big deal when a captain with the ADDU was not just teaching at ASU, but during hours he was supposed to be on duty. With the crime rate in Albany, as well as APD issues, I think this is very newsworthy.

dingleberry 1 year, 11 months ago

When someone has been a teacher at ASU for at least five years, it looks like things would have surfaced sooner. What is his supervisor doing to supervise others? Sounds a little loose to me.

whattheheck 1 year, 11 months ago

How could two organizations spending taxpayer money on salaries not have enough info to piece this one together? Sounds like internal controls are very lacking--where are the auditors?

Cartman 1 year, 11 months ago

Another theft of taxpayer funds story in Albany. Yawn.

LoneCycler 1 year, 11 months ago

The ADDU needs much better management. The Capt. has been teaching at ASU since 2005 and they have only now become concerned. I don't see how someone can claim to be taking time off to care for a special needs child for 7 years and their supervisor doesn't know they are actually at ASU teaching class.

SMHgain 1 year, 11 months ago

What kind of class is he teaching at ASU? Certainly not ethics. I am offended by this behavior as a taxpayer. This man can arrest me for breaking the law but finds nothing wrong with stealing from his employer? Wonder why it went on so long and is only now coming into the light? Must have ticked off the wrong person.

bigbob 1 year, 11 months ago

Why do you say not ethics, we are talking ASU he is an excellent ethics teacher for ASU. He could also teach how to beat the system which in Albany would make him a hero.

Environmentalist 1 year, 11 months ago

Sir, there's an opening for School Superintendent for the Dougherty County School System. You should apply - you seem very well qualified.

bubbasmithredneck 1 year, 11 months ago

I'm a tax payer and I don't give a flying fart. He is no different than some of you pencil pushers who lie on your taxes, steal materials from work and bring it home, sign your time sheet with the wrong time to get more pay, call in sick when you are not sick, or pick and choose who you allow to get over-time or special jobs based on favoritism or excessive butt-kissing. Its all wrong. He was caught, he resigned, its over. Not news worthy......The herald is desperate......

Jacob 1 year, 11 months ago

He was a thief with a badge. Sounds like that fact set must hit close to home for you.....

bubbasmithredneck 1 year, 11 months ago

No Jacob.....I am still employed because I follow the rules.....Do you????

Jacob 1 year, 11 months ago

So because you are still currently employed, that is evidence that you follow the rules? The corrupt cop was employed for quite a while as he was stealing from the tax payers, no?

bubbasmithredneck 1 year, 11 months ago

and he was caught....and now he is gone....so what!!

Jacob 1 year, 11 months ago

so the herald wrote a story about it and you keep crying. get over yourself

bubbasmithredneck 1 year, 11 months ago

and you are ignorant and you have no life......keep it moving....

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 11 months ago

I'd really like to come over and kick you in the crotch as hard as I can, which is pretty hard, with my good leg which will still be pretty incapacatating for you with my good leg.

You wouldn't be able to talk, type, walk, eat, sleep, or work for about two weeks. I would really like to do it.

You would just lie on the floor drooling like a new born waterhead for several days.

Then somebody could just come and pick you up and take you out to the Dempsey Dumpster and throw you in it and you'd be gone forever prolly like an unwanted fetus.

Outtahere 1 year, 11 months ago

The difference between us and him is the fact he is an office and held to a higher standard. If I'm not mistaken, he took an oath. BIG DIFFERENCE!

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 11 months ago

bsrn you never care about anything if a person that looks like you gets caught and punished. You'd just as soon turn 'em taloose and maybe even give them a commendation award and bonus for their creativity in "gittin theirs"

bubbasmithredneck 1 year, 11 months ago

I sell hogs for a living.....why don't the herald do a story bout that????

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 11 months ago

And then your Republican hogs could rush in and eat your crushed nuts.

bubbasmithredneck 1 year, 11 months ago

Roll your retarded old decaying carcus on over here so I can push you in the creek. I'm sure everybody on here who despises your racist comments and LOSER Right-Winged Bullcrap would love for me to do that!!! hahahaha

agonized 1 year, 11 months ago

You are equating someone who accidentally brings a pen home from work or uses the fax machine once a year for something personal as to this guy who was working two jobs at the same time, not just having two jobs, but working two places at once! There's no comparison! And as Jacob pointed out, he was a police officer in a supervisory role. He knew better!

Black_Falcon 1 year, 11 months ago

I remember back in 1999 when I was a police officer for APD, I asked (then Corporal) Abner if he could get me a job working security at the House of Jazz. He told me that working security at the House of Jazz was for the elite; the Big DAWGS. That job was for people like himself, D. Cade, and others. Well some time has passed and he House of Jazz is no more than a shell of its former self. Cade resigned or was fired from APD. Abner has resigned in shame. For me, I left APD and now make a six figure salary. Karma is a mutha…

agonized 1 year, 11 months ago

Hee. It's gratifying when we get to see what happens to those who try to hold us back. Rare, but gratifying!