Mass shootings are ‘normal’ in the U.S.

Letter to the editor

With the bowl games starting up soon, there is excitement in the air. News and currents events are the “same old same old.” The fiscal cliff talks, the Oscars award nominations, Christmas shopping and those normal mass shootings. I am so glad we in this country have a President, Congress and more importantly a public that can live with a few mass killings each year. The toleration for our mass shooting is simple, we must preserve our rights to own any gun that the manufacturers have on the market and (intend to invent in the future).

Over 20 years ago a boy was skateboarding on the steep sidewalks in San Francisco. The little boy ventured into traffic at the intersection and was killed by a bus. The city council immediately (within two weeks) passed a law outlawing skateboarding on the sidewalks. I guess it was the tragedy of the boy being smashed by the bus’s wheels that sent sheer fear into the minds of parents and the like. In 2012, we don’t have to worry about that kind of fear from the 2012 parents, especially if their child is not in Newtown, Conn., or Aurora, Colo.

I can’t wait for the next true patriot in this country to speak about how great this country is compared to other countries that allow despicable events to occur over and over against their children. Well, at least we argue against abortion (that should be enough). Remember these mass killings only happen to other people. Your loved ones are safe because you carry a gun everywhere you go.

TONY WRIGHT

Albany

Comments

Sister_Ruby 2 years ago

Pretty incoherent.........was there a point? I think I missed it.

QUIK 2 years ago

Try giving a point of your own instead of replying all the time to other's viewpoints. There is a word called -statement.

Sister_Ruby 2 years ago

OK, here's my point. "This piece of writing is incoherent."

Are QUIK and Tony Wright the same person? You be the judge.

Abytaxpayer 2 years ago

Just so I got this right! Mr Wright You want to outlaw guns.

1. Deaths by any kind of gun just under 12,000
  2. Deaths by auto more than 31,000 that is almost 3 to 1
  3. Death by drug abuse more than 25,000 or more than 2 to 1 compared to guns.
  4. Accidental falls just less than 25,000 still better than 2 to 1 for just trying to walk up right or climbing a ladder.
  5. Now how about this little Fact …twice as many that is 2 to1 as many kids of high school age or younger die each year playing football , head hits heat stroke etc than are killed by guns….so yes Lets ban guns and save half as many kids as we kill for the sake of football.

Or many how about 800,000-2,500,000 crimes are stopped by guns each year, that is victims who protected themselves, wonder what the outcome would have been for just say the 800,000. Gun laws are not the problem, politicians babying criminals is the problem. Use a gun in a crime and get the death penalty no appeals. Now that would be gun crime control.

I say football is the real despicable event. Adults killing and maiming their young for their own personal entertainment. That is your "NORMAL" in America

QUIK 2 years ago

I didn't read all of your writing because like 99% of the people that read my writings on this subject, they may lack knowing what comprehension is when reading. Take what the writer is saying not the motives behind it (leave that to Dr. Phil and others). I have written on this subject before (and may continue to for the next mass killings that is soon expected) and every time people try to read my thoughts. I am against all automatic weapons (especially assualt weapons) and believe they should be banned, period. Now if in your mind that means all guns then we didn't go to the same english class. I am not against owning a gun, only certain guns. Have a great day.

waltspecht 2 years ago

Last report I heard, the so called assault rifle was left in the car and wasn't used in the attack. Just like the movie theater guys rifle only fired one shot and jammed. Yet everyone seems to like to point to the assault rifle concept. Especially CNN is attacking the weapon that didn't do it in either case. By the way, fully automatic weapons are out there, but rearly used in crimes.

Abytaxpayer 2 years ago

Quik thanks for admitting you did not read all of my statement. I understand facts are hard for some to comprehend. I have read all of yours and I do comprehend that you are grandstanding. You point out how dangerous auto assault weapons are but can you tell us just how many have been killed with your weapon of choice vs how many were killed with the common hand gun….Anti-gun people love to demonize the assault guns when they are only a small part of the guns that kill. Personally I agree there is no real need for assault weapons but unlike you I say we should ban together and take a hard stand against criminals. How many times do we hear of one thug trying to shoot another thug and hitting other people. These thugs are then arrested and slapped on the hand for shooting someone. If an automatic death sentence was given to anyone committing a crime where a gun was used then how long before the criminals would change to another weapon and deaths by guns would plummet? We all know criminals will have guns but stop babying them and we could control gun deaths better than any gun control law. We will always be faced with people who should have mental health rather than a weapon be it a gun a bat or a bomb so we need to address them also.

waltspecht 2 years ago

Well, I stand corrected. Seems the rifle in the car was another rifle, and he did use the Bushmaster to kill with. It also seems the Mom wasn't a Teacher, nor employed at the school. More misinformation has come out about this shooting than any I have heard of in the past.

QUIK 2 years ago

If I didn't like plums and gave all the reasons why, then someone argued to me why I don't like apples, is kind of the reasoning I get when I talk about assault weapons. Believe me I understand far before I start my writings that most in the area of this newspaper want no gun control. For those that go outside of their region, state or country they may see a whole different viewpoint on guns. Having travelled to many countries (Not in the military) I see a different understanding on the need of everyone owning a gun. Let's continue to debate this subject, but I truly hope that those who differ from me on assault weapons would realize they don't represent the whole nation. Your opinion is yours as is mine and if nothing is done for now I'm ok with that, as you should also be if there is a change in assualt weapon laws. The only sure thing in life is change (wheher good or bad).

waltspecht 2 years ago

Why not deal with the real issue. The mentally ill we allow to wonder around among us. For I have a hard time believing anyone who perpetrates these kind of acts is sane. Maybe high on drugs, or a Jihadist. Both sick people to me. Why do we allow them to live? For it is they from whose ranks these perpetrators spring? When is the responsibility going to be placed on the individual and not the object? Remember the Japanese and the Chinese that used swords? How about the Chetchnian rebels that seized a school and killed the children and teachers until they themselves were killed. What about the attack on the Hotel in India? Did firearms cause these to happen? Or was it really people that used firearms? To say that if they didn't have guns, they wouldn't have done what they did is a fools folly. There are many ways to kill, as McVey so well demonstrated with fertilizer, Diesel fuel and a detonating charge.

QUIK 2 years ago

The Chetchnian example is a good one. It would be fool hardy to believe we are talking about stopping all killings. That's like saying why ban drinking while driving when other factors cause traffic deaths, like age, texting, lack of sleep etc. The reason why we allow these types of people to live (sick people as you call them) is because the structure for debating your solution is soiled with attacking the person that have a different opinion, so nothing is done. Whether you are for or against something in this present world we live in, people feel threaten so they CAN'T carry an honest conversation of differing views. Watch comments and replies on just about any subject. Have a good day.

Black_Falcon 2 years ago

Mass shootings are not common in the United States. However, when they do occur, they garner so much media attention that the intelluctual lazy believe they are common.

QUIK 2 years ago

Maybe so, but the 'common' rate may mean once or twice a year for the last 5 or 10 years. My thought is that plane crashes are common each year but to someone else they may consider it rare. Also how many must die to be considered a mass shooting? To each their own may be the best answer. Have a good day.

whattheheck 2 years ago

With the news media covering events such as this non-stop full time, people tend to overload their shallow minds and come to believe it happens every day. And the coverage provided seems to bring out the crazies to try and one-up the last shooter trying for a higher kill rate and infamous status. We went for a long time from the similar event in 1966 with little of this nature. In my opinion, the media's extensive and unnecessary coverage influences such to happen.

VSU 2 years ago

Guns don't kill people, the person pulling the trigger is the one that kills people. Knives can kill people, should we start banning knives? How about baseball bats, crowbars, metal pipes, gasoline among other items can be used to kill people, should we ban all those? The wrong people will always find a way to get a gun, will always find a way to kill if they are determined to do that. Even if you took away all types of guns, whether it's a BB gun or a machine gun, they will find a way to commit a mass killing, like maybe a bomb or other explosives, heck they could drive a car into a large group of people, it has been done before, so maybe they should ban cars.

ittybittyme 2 years ago

This article did not flow well. I had difficulty understanding the key points.

QUIK 2 years ago

Look at the replies and you should see key points are useless. Most replies are all over the place and don't stay on the subject of the writer. I mentioned ONLY about banning assault weapons and there is replies on knives, bats, handguns, fertilizer etc etc. I you don't see this try writing about a subject that you already know most in that area have a strong disagreement (if you can) with you and if see the attacks (which are natural) on you and how they go off your theme.

VSU 2 years ago

Point is you are not going to stop killings by banning guns, but I do agree with you that there is no need for assault weapons on the street.

Black_Falcon 2 years ago

Blaming guns for the violence we have just witnessed makes about as much sense as blaming a knife and fork for the obesity problem in America. However, I do understand that for the intellectual lazy, it makes sense to over simplify complex issues into a quick fix; something that can be easily pointed to. "if we only had more gun laws, we would be safe." If only there were less knives and forks people wouldn't be fat.

Sister_Ruby 2 years ago

QUIK ain't so FAST, if you get my drift...........

URWrongAgain 2 years ago

It’s just as intellectually lazy (and easy) for me to counter your “guns don’t kill people, people kill people” excuse with a just as intellectually lazy argument that if the shooter had gone to the school with a bunch of rocks or even knives, the number of deaths and level of violence would not have been the same. The true argument is about both access to guns and mental health. In this country access to guns is so easy, it makes planning such a tragic event simple, and the people who access those guns are mentally damaged (not an excuse for their actions, but true nontheless). The results of that combination have proven tragic over the years. But if you 2nd amendment rights advocates can’t come with something better than the “guns don’t kill people” argument as an excuse to do nothing or can’t quote anything but flawed statistics then the gun control people are going to continue to come out in full force. And frankly, I don’t blame them.

VSU 2 years ago

Have you ever seen a gun get up by itself, pull the trigger and shoot someone?

So a mentally damaged person got a hold of a knife and went on a mad stabbing spree, I ask once again, should we start banning knives? If a mentally damaged person got a hold of a baseball bat or metal pipe and started bashing peoples heads in at random, do we ban baseball bats and metal pipes? As I stated earlier people will always find a way to get a gun, will always find a way to kill people, will always find a way to commit a mass killing. You can't ban everything.

QUIK 2 years ago

Very well said. The good part of this debate is it doesn't involve most of the people that make personal attacks on someone that disagrees with them. There is hope .

URWrongAgain 2 years ago

Just the type of argument that gives the gun control people reason to go after gun owners. When was the last time you saw or heard of (and the Matrix movies don't count) a knife wielder exert that much violence and death in that short of time? Some of the people shot in CT were shot as many as eleven times. And it took all of THREE minutes.

Have I ever seen a walking gun?...sheesh.

VSU 2 years ago

Well have you? If you think gun control is going to stop the violence, you are sadly mistaken. The gun kills nobody, the person does.

And you're comparing this to the Matrix movie? Sheesh?

If the principal or one of the teachers was armed with a gun, perhaps they could have shot the shooter before he shot anybody else.

The argument about banning guns will stop this is like shooting blanks.

QUIK 2 years ago

VSU, I know you are trying to make a good point but like everyone who replied you are adding words that writer did not make; ex. "if you think gun control is going to STOP the violence". ITs very hard to debate people that takes a curve from the point writer is making. Every differing reply never addresses THE point the writer is making, so we go in circles. URwrongagain, never advocated banning guns in his reply to my op-ed. In fact it seems he wants gun owners to stop repeating themselves with the same slogan of 20 years ago and start the debate afresh.

VSU 2 years ago

In all fairness QUIK, i respect your comments and you may be right as I didn't even read the article, I was simply going by other comments and perhaps I was wrong in doing that, but I was just simply pointing out gun control is not the miracle that is going to end violence. Even locking up known criminals would not end it, because you really don't know what is going on in the minds of the people that do these things. It could be your next door neighbor that might be planning some evil plot, you just never know. I wonder if there really is an answer.

QUIK 2 years ago

Very good points. Would 90% of all law enforcement want all assault weapons banned? I think so. Also look at what in every case like this, at what do the police do first when they arrive- put on their protective gear, which may take another ten minutes. Its not their fault for the lost time but they know they're going up against high powered weapons.

tiredofit 2 years ago

Just curious but why were they reading from the qur'an last night or Sat ?

QUIK 2 years ago

It was an interfaith service that different faiths in the community organized. There was more than one of these services going on during the last few days. I suspect the broadcast media showed this one live because President Obama attended it and all of the families of the slain babies (I use babies instead of the word children) would be there also. T. Wright

Sister_Ruby 2 years ago

QUIK, thanks for owning up to being the idiot who posted the original Squawk. Well done, Idiot.

badcompany 2 years ago

Mr Wright, you want to prevent the American people from owning guns? where was your concern when Obama was letting drug cartels buy these weapons to murder thousands of people in Mexico including an American Border Patrol agent? You are no better than the Senators that are calling for an American gun ban yet said nothing about barack obama and his ties to arming drug cartels.

Bubbavet_rureel 2 years ago

No talk of the shooter, amazed!

Sister_Ruby 2 years ago

Did you get Wright's point?? I think I missed it.

Nous_Defions 2 years ago

Adam Lanza broke at least 3 existing Federal laws before killing his first victim at Sandy Hook School, 1st, Possession of a firearm on school grounds, 2nd, Murder (his Mother), 3rd, Possession of a stolen firearm. Those laws did not prevent his evil acts.

Do any of us not believe that we have the Right to take our next breath? Yes, I would even propose that most of us (those who have given serious thought) believe we have that Right and it is the most important Right. The Ten Amendments constituting the Bill of Rights, are Rights that are "Inalienable" meaning they existed before the establishment of government and cannot be infringed. The Second Amendment guarantees all the other Rights, and it shall not be infringed.

The debate, Mr. Wright , should be focused toward Adam Lanza, not the tools he used to commit evil. On the same day as Sandy Hook ,a evil man with a knife sliced and stabbed 22 school children in the People's Republic of China. Firearms ownership is banned in China, that's why Mao could slaughter millions of his subjects without effective resistance. Hitler, Stalin, Mao, Pol Pot, and the Ottoman Empire have one thing in common "Gun Control".

VSU 2 years ago

Exactly! Some people think taking away guns will solve all ills. It's like I asked before, do we start banning knives? Then what afterwards? How many objects have to be banned before it stops? Even if you ban it, the wrong people will always have access to it.

Sister_Ruby 2 years ago

Tony, did you get a Doctorate from Albany State? Just wondering..........