Finalists for interim school chief named

Kenneth Dyer is the executive finance and operations director for the Dougherty County School System.

ALBANY, Ga. — The Dougherty County School Board will interview three people for the interim superintendent position to replace the outgoing Joshua Murfree.

The Board went into executive session at a special called meeting Monday and later announced it will interview former Sumter County superintendent Roy Brooks, David Mosley of Glynn County and Franklin Perry of Sumter and Twiggs counties later this week

A source said the interviews would begin Thursday at another special called meeting. All interviews will be conducted in closed session.

Brooks, who was a finalist to replace former DCSS superintendent Sally Whatley in 2011, resides in Little Rock, Ark. He served as superintendent for the Sumter County Schools in Americus from 2010 to 2012; chief executive officer of eStem Public Charter Schools Inc. in Little Rock from 2007 to 2010, and superintendent of Little Rock School District from 2004 to 2007.

Mosely resides in Climax and served as superintendent for Glynn County Schools from 1994 to 1999; Vidalia City Schools from 1990 to 1994, and the Decatur County School System from 1985 to 1990. He also served as interim superintendent for several counties which include the Coffee County School System, Mitchell County School System and Carroll County School System from 1999 to 2011.

Perry lives in Macon and served as superintendent for Twiggs County public schools from 2006 to 2009 and Sumter County schools in from 2002 to 2005.

After the board emerged from the Monday closed session, it voted 7-0 to name DCSS Executive Finance and Operations officer Kenneth Dyer acting superintendent.

Dyer will hold that position until the School Board selects an interim superintendent.

Murfree, who has served as DCSS superintendent since June 2010, will give up the position today.

Comments

bubbavet 1 year, 4 months ago

Wonder what the odds of Murfree putting in for his old job? Even worse, being selected again and a raise. Don't laugh, it is possible in the good life city.

FryarTuk 1 year, 3 months ago

That is funny but damned true.

saveourcity 1 year, 4 months ago

slim to none. I doubt he could get a job as dog-catcher in Albany,

PatrickY2K 1 year, 4 months ago

I hope passing on Goseer for Acting Superintendent means the Board knows he's an idiot.

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 4 months ago

How can you go against your own like that, PY2K? Next thing people will be calling your house at 2am and calling you nasty names and cussing you out.

waltspecht 1 year, 4 months ago

I don't see any of these three doing anything other than holding the status quo. Something that could be done by an empty chair.

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 4 months ago

I really wish TIME magazine's "2012 Person of the Year" would be an empty chair. That would actually be more appropriate than any other offering I could think of.

AuntieDee 1 year, 4 months ago

I did some research on these three. Here is what I found:

Roy Brooks was fired from the Little Rock, AR school district as superintendent. Among other reasons, Brooks has been under fire for allegedly giving pay hikes and stipends to white employees without the school board’s approval. He was cited as being an Uncle Tom. He showed favoritism to predominately white schools, faculty, and staff members in the district.

David “Butch” Mosley: In 1999 he was investigated by a Glenn County grand jury. Although nothing was found to be illegal, he was cited along with the financial director for poor money management. He resigned that year leaving Glynn County in an 8 MILLION dollar hole. Also, look on the Florida Times Union web site and search his name. Dr. Mosley has already violated two of S.A.C.S rules by hiring before posting a job and promoting the nephew of a board member.

Franklin Perry seems to be the best of the three. His track record seems to be clear except that he moved from job to job and state to state more than usual. There has to be some underlying reason for that.

It seems like Roy Brooks and Franklin Perry are following each other around Georgia. Both were let go from Sumter County in recent times. Are these truly the best applicants we can find?

agirl_25 1 year, 4 months ago

Good work, AuntieDee.....remember to put a tail on Murpree too. From what I hear, when he applies for a job the DoCo can't tell the truth about him, only whether or not they would rehire him, but if we know where he is applying for a job we can get in touch with the system there and let the truth be known as private citizens. Get ready to Google...Gotta love Google.......

Happened once where I used to work... a slimeball doctor slipped thru the cracks. He had been charged with sexual misconduct in another state, tried and convicted, yet hired here in Georgia. One of our sharp nurses Googled him and BINGO....up he popped, pictures and all....and BAM...she told on him....away he went.

agirl_25 1 year, 4 months ago

I have no idea why the first part of this is so big......I must apologize.....grrrrrr...my stooooooopid PC has gone nuts.....it keeps going to a MSN upgrade page.. I have upgraded to IE 8, maybe that has something to do with it.....but again, I do apologize....

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 4 months ago

agirl.......it's OK to go BIG sometimes!! Don't apologize, girl!!!

Sherwood_Eagle_Alum 1 year, 4 months ago

Stop using IE. Try Chrome or Firefox.

agirl_25 1 year, 4 months ago

I tried Chrome and had problems with it too.....sigh........I spose they all hate me......sigh sigh sigh.

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 4 months ago

Yeah where was AuntieDee when SuperMurfree was "hired" aka anointed.

AuntieDee 1 year, 4 months ago

I was here and didn't agree with the DCSS decision on that one either. He had absolutely no public school experience. Nor did I agree with the hiring of Dr. Lee Shiver, principal of West Town elementary. When I googled his name I found that the GA Dept. of Ed. fired him from the school of the deaf in Rome, GA. He also was forced to resign from Thomasville as Superintendent amidst a racial discrimination lawsuit brought against the school system. Yet we hired a racist to work in a predominately black school. Arkward! (and backwards).

Does anyone downtown check references before offering these folks an interview?

DCSS has a bad habit of picking up discarded leftovers. You gotta wonder if the entire board needs to be dismiss.

sumterco 1 year, 4 months ago

AuntieDee you are far from the truth. Dr. Perry is the worst candidate of the three! He is a used car salesman turned internet doctorate degree. Dr. Brooks was good in Sumter County but got fired because he wasn't "black" enough for the board. He held everyone do high standards and didn't give special treatment for one race.I don't know Mosley but he's got to be better than Perry.

agirl_25 1 year, 4 months ago

Here we go......hmmmm.. an ex-used car salesman huh..with an internet PhD...interesting.....so we can cross off Dr. Perry then huh? But we still put a question mark beside Dr. Brooks name, even tho he played favorite to the man? As far as Mosely goes.....bad with money...hmmmm where have I heard that before?

VSU 1 year, 4 months ago

Knowing Auntie Dee's record, I would pass on the one Auntie Dee recommends and select the one She/He/It is totally against.

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 4 months ago

( I think AuntieDee got some of that Prescriptionary Weed in her possession!!)

AuntieDee 1 year, 4 months ago

Lol...I think you and VSU need to lay off the Meth. It's affecting your ability to use logical reasoning.

AuntieDee 1 year, 4 months ago

VSU, it's apparent you failed reading because you don't seem to comprehend well. I never made a recommendation. I merely stated an opinion. However, at the end of my statement I asked if these were the best we could find. I would not be satisfied with either of them.

By the way, I have an excellent record recommending people in high places. I voted for President Barack Obama twice and he got elected both times. I don't need YOU to validate anything for me. I have the MAJORITY of the country on my side. So much for my record...what's yours IDIOT?

VSU 1 year, 4 months ago

I didn't fail anything. You voted for Obama, You just proved my point. You said Perry was the best of the three when actually he's the worst of the three and you said Brooks was the worst of the three when he is actually the best of the three. You have an excellant record alright, at being a dumb@$$ & idiot. Despite all that, I do like you, you are funny. Everybody needs a good laugh now and then.

You think you piss me off when I actually smile when I see your name on the comments. I do enjoy reading your comments.

AuntieDee 1 year, 4 months ago

That was my opinion of the 3 choices. You have yours. I wouldn't recommend either of them. DCSS needs someone who can work harmoniously and keep a balance with all races and the money.

AuntieDee 1 year, 4 months ago

Well that's your opinion and you're entitled to it. However, neither of the 3 would be my choice.

agirl_25 1 year, 4 months ago

Actually I don't believe you endorsed any one of the 3, just told us what you found about them online.......right? That is what I got out of the post anyway.

VSU 1 year, 4 months ago

but she also pointed out the worst and best one of the 3, basically the same thing.

FryarTuk 1 year, 3 months ago

There is a retired (recently) Superintendent of Haralson County schools residing in Cordele, GA. He has a very solid history in public education and should be interviewed for the interim position. Problem is he isn't a crook so unless the culture changes soon he wouldn't fit in. Call the State DOE they will know his name as I will not. Sometimes these interim guys or gals can do a lot of good because they can teach a board how to be a board without having to tread on eggshells. I remember Arthur Forehand who served as interim Super in Mitchell County several years ago and helped the board on several issues that were critical.

Amazed2 1 year, 4 months ago

Yea passing on Gooser to be be Acting Supt should be a sign you would think. Hate to think we have another person getting High Salary that should be capable of assumming the role on a short term basis but he is deemed by the board and rightly so as not the man they want in control of anything. He was one of those defending all those out of ordinary expenditures. Ashame we gave to promote the bean counter from accounting to run the system because Gooser was not deemed by the board to be in charge. ?? Di we get a salary refund??

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 4 months ago

Goseer is LOST without somebody to tell him what to do and when and how and where and how much to do it. And who to do it to.

Terry.Lewis 1 year, 4 months ago

Believe it or not, this is the easy part. Selecting an interim super is important, but not as important as hiring the permanent person. I can see this position lasting a few months tops, so I suggest you guys keep your powder dry for the real thing.

Just my .02 cents.

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 4 months ago

"powder dry..." cracked me up, Mr. Lewis!

FryarTuk 1 year, 3 months ago

Terry. do you think it is possible this gang of merry bloggers will not have any bile, powder, etc. left to express when they select the new recruits?

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 3 months ago

"Dry Powder".....it's what I asked Santa to bring me this year!

Amazed2 1 year, 4 months ago

Yea I agree with Terry the important decision is yet to come. Just finding a person with the qualifications actually needed and also that really really would leave thier current positiin to cime here and deal with this mess. Beware of many seekers they are only coming ti collect a big payday for 2 to 3 yrs. Albany tries to lure the big fish with Salaries. Unfortunately they dont stay. Until the DCSS is on the right track and it will be a multi year effort Albany will continue to recieve the bad press it currently deserves.

bubbasmithredneck 1 year, 4 months ago

It wont take long before the TERRY TALES start up again......I give him 3 weeks....any bets???

Bubbavet_rureel 1 year, 4 months ago

Yep, ignore the masses, and stick with the status quo!

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 3 months ago

"The Masses" are what they find in your colon when you have colon cancer.

Merlin 1 year, 4 months ago

The Bubba fools are awake.

bubbasmithredneck 1 year, 3 months ago

He will stir up the pot again and make up some more crap that you guys will fall for----AGAIN!!!!

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 3 months ago

but not you, bsrn. You are way too smart for that!! HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!

agirl_25 1 year, 3 months ago

By the way....the 18th came and went......did they have a big going away party for Murfree..a gold watch, etc.....never heard.....didn't see a word about it.......I am sure the DCSB had a huge celebration and my invitation got lost or delayed in the mail....yup that is what happened......I am sure.....right? He was due to leave his position the 18th......right?

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 3 months ago

Did Murfree send out another "global email" to all the employees of DCSS? Urging them "not to give up our fight against them"?? Like he did a few weeks ago when it was announced he was being runnoft.

AuntieDee 1 year, 3 months ago

Umm...sister ruby. So you are employed by DCSS?

bubbasmithredneck 1 year, 3 months ago

If a black guy gets the job.......you can bet the pot will be STIRRED UP!!!!!

agirl_25 1 year, 3 months ago

Well I just want to know what kind of a send off he had...did he have a nice going away party? Did his co-workers give him a gold watch, etc...and did the Board members give him the usual speeches about what a good job he did..coughbscough........you know the usual....I was just wondering....

bubbasmithredneck 1 year, 3 months ago

I dont know...but I am sure Terry was there and followed him to his car.