Squawk of the Day - Dec. 18, 2012

To Aaron Blair, I would say hang in there. Your efforts are bearing fruit. Some of these “Negative Nellies” would be perfectly happy to see downtown rot just so they can say “I told you so!”

Comments

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 4 months ago

Squawker, pull out your wallet and put up some dough to back up your words.

chinaberry25 1 year, 4 months ago

Yeah, it is always the ones who never give anything that think those who do should pay and pay. Kind of like the person who thought Mardi Gras should be free. It is not free ride in this world for very long. Folks are tired of wasted money, and they are not going to take i much longer regardless of who is in office. Look at the unions, they are already fighting for their rights. What rights, they were voted to stand down and they do not like it. Prison is the next solution for them.

Amazed2 1 year, 4 months ago

Its really hard to change the more recent 25++ years of downtown Albany history when nothing has basically changed other than rotating a diwntown manager in and out every 2 to 4 years. In 1980 the Civic Center was built as the savior of downtown. Since the day ut was built it has been a bust and a drain of tax dollars. Now thanks to more bad decisions Downtown will soon have the big empty 30 million dollar fish tank. The Riverquarium will never support itself because it is boring. Aftet you go once why go back anytime soon. Crime downtown is as bad as every. You need a private security guard with a shotgun in hand to protect your aircindirioner.

ustaknow 1 year, 4 months ago

I think the Water Gas and Light company needs to take over the River Aquarium and use it as their headquarters. WG&L offers the perfect synergy i would look for in an operating partner. Aside from that we all know WG&L has been looking for new headquarters for a long time now.

I think the move makes perfect sense and WG&L would expand their public relations by keeping the Aquarium open as a visitor center.

I would hope that the idea is at least discussed at the appropriate commissions and after some discussion by all of the concerned parties-,if the idea is turned down then that would be ok too, for I am sure there would be sound reasons.

jglass 1 year, 4 months ago

I am enjoying seeing the changes in the downtown area. The canopies and now store signs......I think they are looking GREAT!!!!

KaosinAlbany 1 year, 4 months ago

How about turning your negative energy into positive energy for a change. You will be surprised what you can accomplish. :)

alleebrin 1 year, 4 months ago

Well, Hopefuls, what can be said for downtown? Why should anyone drive all the way downtown and have to worry about getting mugged or have their pockets picked? Anybody who wants to put their "positive energy" into downtown is a fool! And i resent taking any of my taxpayer money to fund these insane notions, i.e., the lovely arch(es) over the scenic Flint River and the catfish/turtle bowl!!

Bulldawg 1 year, 4 months ago

I am surprised that some theme park somewhere has not called Albany and asked for their missing piece of roller coaster track back.

Hoodie 1 year, 4 months ago

I wonder why we have no Northwest Albany manager and it seems to be thriving......

Cartman 1 year, 4 months ago

I hope downtown blossoms. But why don't we use your money instead of ours this time?

I would also like to know the location of the 2nd arch. The one which we paid for and never received an explanation. Where is it? What happened to it? Why was it never explained?

Account for that money before you ask for more.

Bulldawg 1 year, 4 months ago

The second arch is downtown at the "gateway" to east Albany.

Cartman 1 year, 4 months ago

The first arch is on Oglethorpe between the downtown Hilton and the Civic Center. Where is the 2nd arch?