Alcohol licenses could be lost by five nightspots

ALBANY, Ga. — Five Albany nightspots will have hearings scheduled in January to determine if they will lose their alcohol licenses.

The Albany City Commission voted at its business meeting Tuesday night to schedule hearings to determine whether the alcohol licenses of the Sand Trap Lounge, Charley B’s, Big Daddy’s Lounge, Club Xcape and Legends should be denied or suspended. The Albany Police Department recommended that the licenses of the five establishments be denied as the commission considered blanket license renewals for 2013.

The commission also voted to deny EIG Albany Square’s rezoning application at 2707 Dawson Road to build a dental office in the parking lot opposite the Chik-fil-A restaurant. Albany Partners, whose tenants include the Publix supermarket and five other smaller businesses, opposed the application because they said it would limit visibility of their properties, would present safety/traffic hazards and would be a detriment both to their tenants and to the city.

“I have included for the record a letter from Publix officials objecting to the application,” Joe Dent, an attorney with the Watson Spence firm of Albany, which represented Albany Partners at a public hearing to discuss the issue, said. “They indicate granting the rezoning application would negatively affect their decision to renew their lease, which is due in August of 2013.

“If Publix leaves, it will impact my clients’ ability to make money and negatively impact tax revenue.”

The commission voted unanimously to deny the application, though the Planning Commission had voted 7-0 to approve it.

“We’re trying to continue the growth pattern in the city, and we have a group already at that location who is satisfied to be there,” Commissioner Tommie Postell said. “I don’t see how we could vote to let another group come in that’s going to make them uncomfortable.”

The commission voted to table a request for $860,000 in special-purpose local-option sales tax funds sought by Albany Technical College to build a pedestrian bridge across Slappey Boulevard over the strong objection of Postell. Postell had offered a motion to accept the request, and it was seconded before Commissioner Bob Langstaff offered a motion to table.

City Attorney Nathan Davis said that, under Robert’s Rules of Order, the motion to table should be considered first, and Postell responded, “He can’t table my motion.”

When Mayor Dorothy Hubbard ruled that the motion to table would be voted upon first, and it was approved by the commission, Postell said, “Let the record show that I strongly oppose you tabling my motion.”

Langstaff also asked that a motion to grant $100,000 to the Thronateeska Heritage Foundation’s new archives facility be tabled for further study, but his motion was denied and the funding was granted.

“They asked for $2 million to build the facility, and their bid came in at $1.2 million,” Langstaff said. “They’re going to use the other money for furniture and other supplies. I think if they can’t complete the project with the money approved, they should hold a fundraiser.

“It’s like the $3 million we granted to the SOWEGA Council on Aging for their senior center. They knew that wasn’t enough money, but they raised the other $3 million needed. I think we need to determine if more money is really needed before we grant it.”

Comments

LoneCycler 1 year, 9 months ago

The five Albany "nightspots" would be better described as "gang hangouts." If the commission doesn't pull their liquor licenses they are the ones that should have to respond to the next 4 AM gunfight at the OK parking lot -- not the Police Department.

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 9 months ago

I'll make it easy for y'all. 1. NO 2. NO 3. NO 4. NO 5. NO.

Albany will be a better place and homicides will go down immediately.

FryarTuk 1 year, 9 months ago

Postell and Piker has to check da crimmus stockings before dey vote.

FryarTuk 1 year, 9 months ago

Wow, Junior, this is the third time I know you have made sense on expenditures. Congratulations.

RedEric 1 year, 9 months ago

Pedestrian bridge huh. Hey guys, I think I know where your second arch went!! Jaywalking, as it would be called in civilized regions, is the normal routine here in the rules don't apply to me city. A pedestrian bridge would remain unused except maybe as a lookout for PoPo. Don't worry about it Tommy, Pigford has been refunded, so the gummit money train will be fully loaded again.

ittybittyme 1 year, 9 months ago

Postell, once again needs to check Robert's Rules of Order...and follow them...that is part of his job....I am surprised that he did pull out some race card.

FryarTuk 1 year, 9 months ago

Postell wants to know what he gets when he orders from Robert's and if it is free.

FlunkyMonkey 1 year, 9 months ago

There has been a need for a pedestrian bridge across Slappey at the Vo-Tech for years. However, Postell continues to show that he has no business on the commission. As a side note, what is going to be done about Chris Pike and the bilking of thousands of dollars of merchant's money? Don't you think it time he started paying his bills?

FryarTuk 1 year, 9 months ago

This is first time I've heard of pedestrian bridge need. I'm in that area 4 or 5 times a week at different times and I don't recall people queuing up to cross. I agree that Chris Piker has absolutely no business managing public money or affairs. Given the political culture in ABY what else can be expected.

KaosinAlbany 1 year, 9 months ago

The real shocker about Chris is he is on the Long Term Financial Committee. Thank former Mayor Adams for that. I am glad Chris' financial mess is public knowledge. I hope he is thinking long and hard about if he is going to run again.

VSU 1 year, 9 months ago

I agree, I have never seen anyone trying to cross slappey in that area. It would be a waste of money building a pedestrian bridge there.

KaosinAlbany 1 year, 9 months ago

Pike will be up for re-election next year (2013) Let's see what happens...

FlunkyMonkey 1 year, 9 months ago

The ignorant in his district will re-elect him

wino3800 1 year, 9 months ago

How in the world can Pike remain on the commission? Are there no laws about these offences?

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 9 months ago

He has a temporary problem of liquidity.

JackieT 1 year, 9 months ago

Where's the crowd waiting to cross the street on South Slappey?