Squawk of the Day 19 Dec 2012

"Nice job, Daffodil Garden Club. Their members planted 300 daffodil bulbs in one of the public areas at Chehaw Wild Animal Park on Saturday. It will be beautiful in the Spring at the Zoo."

Comments

Cartman 1 year, 10 months ago

Yeah. Nice job. Now back to our discussion.

Where is the 2nd downtown arch?

alleebrin 1 year, 10 months ago

The second arch (and much of the first one, for that matter,) went to Orlando with Chatmon! I care; it was my taxpayer money that paid for those two "arches."

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 10 months ago

Only those that paid good money via their taxes. I guess that leaves you and your relatives out.

LoneCycler 1 year, 10 months ago

I'm sure Chehaw will be spectacular this spring thanks to the selfless efforts of the fine members of the Daffodil Garden Club. I look forward to seeing the flowers. I hope they all wore gloves. Those bulbs are poisonous.

alleebrin 1 year, 10 months ago

Wow, I didn't know daffodil bulbs were poisonous!! Good info.

chinaberry25 1 year, 10 months ago

They are poisonous only if you eat them. But this is the first I have ever heard of that and I have been planting them for years. Poinsettias are poisonous though.

FryarTuk 1 year, 10 months ago

Points are poisonous only if you eat them or lick your fingers after touching them. Daffodil and related plants have alkaloids primarliy in bulb but also in blooms and foliage. Makes animals sick too if they ingest them. Looking forward to Chehaw in spring.

fcarroll 1 year, 10 months ago

Is there no one that writes on this site have a positive attitude or thought? If i am ever up beat and want to be depressed, i can come and read comments posted here.

jglass 1 year, 10 months ago

You are right fcarroll. When positive squawks are posted, people have to always throw a negative in the pot.

agirl_25 1 year, 10 months ago

I have a long driveway that goes up to my house and plant hundreds of daffodil bulbs too but the darn critters (I was told moles) eat them........boo hoo) so every year I only have a few that come up. I wish you much success with your lovely daffodils, Garden Club. I am daffodil poor....and the only thing the critters don't seem to like are the iris.....but I am kinda sick of the white and yellow iris. Anyone got any getting-rid-of-mole-tricks? Finally got rid of the armadillos........whew what a job.

FryarTuk 1 year, 10 months ago

You know Mr. Rogers and Capt. Kangaroo are both dead. So you get the e. e. cummings show. Buffalo Bill's defunct
who used to ride a water-smooth-silver stallion
and break onetwothreefourfive pigeonsjustlikethat Jesus
he was a handsome man
and what i want to know is
how do you like your blueeyed boy
Mister Death

Can we inspire or What?

Amazed2 1 year, 10 months ago

Please consider giving Chehaw the Riverquarium to manage and promote and also take down the big Ugly Blue Arch. Maybe erect it at the entrance to the Do County Landfill.

alleebrin 1 year, 10 months ago

$660,000.00 for two lovely arches! What a joke! Such wise spending of someone else's money! lol

Cartman 1 year, 10 months ago

It's a simple question. Where did the 2nd arch physically go? It was paid for and never erected. Is it in storage at a yard somewhere? Who would know?

whattheheck 1 year, 10 months ago

I was told it is in a city owned warehouse in the 8th Av area. Perhaps this is the answer and we need a strip search of the buildings..

waltspecht 1 year, 10 months ago

My Grandmother had us plant Daffodil bulbs all along the road thru our woods. My Aunt took over when Oma died. To this day they still come up every Spring as a reminder of two great Ladies. Someone Planted a bunch of them in a Pecan Grove on State Plantation. They were around the house and over by one of the biggest Fig trees I have ever seem. It does say someone was here that appreciated beauty.

Amazed2 1 year, 10 months ago

I suspect the Arch has been cut up and sold by the local metal thieves by now unless it was under armed guard. I think #1 scrap iron payz about $.07 to. $09 cents per pound. They probably sold it for $700 to $1000 dollarz Heck I hope it got cut up and sold at least we dont have to worry about ATI or ADICA or Wes Smith getting ut erected.