Squawk of the Day - Dec. 26, 2012

"When did appropriate dress go away? It’s everywhere — ball caps in restaurants, sloppy clothes in church, funerals, and work. Why have shirttails out with a sports coat? Why wear hoods when the weather is not cold?"

Comments

waltspecht 2 years, 1 month ago

The Hoods make identification more difficult for the all seeing eyes of the video cameras. Styles and customs change wioth the generations. What we do and expect is of no concern to some. One phrase I have heard is at least the go to Church, and show up at Funerals.

Sherwood_Eagle_Alum 2 years, 1 month ago

I imagine some people do wear a hoodie to avoid being seen by a video camera, but it is just a fashion thing for most of today's youth.

FryarTuk 2 years, 1 month ago

Happy Boxing Day to the limeys!

fcarroll 2 years, 1 month ago

I agree with the squawker, our mode of dress is very distasteful to say the least in some areas. 1. Hospital staff in some areas show more cleavage than they cover up (women) the men show more crack of their butts than they cover. There is a place that this dress code may be acceptable, but not in a professional buisness, in my opinion. 2. God said come as you are, not come dressed to the nines. 3. I think also that the dress code at funerals should be in honor of the deceased. 4. The hoodes i think was addressed best by waltspecht God bless the U.S.

Sister_Ruby 2 years, 1 month ago

Jesus says "Come as you are". All the other stuff is societal norms. Ball caps indoors I hate but some heads look better with them on. I think Lee County has a law that all men MUST wear ball caps indoors. Bonus points for wearing it backwards until the age of 35.

FlunkyMonkey 2 years, 1 month ago

My husband is bald....he wears his cap indoors because most places keep the air conditioner set at hang meat. He gets a headache when his head gets cold. He does not wear it inside to be disrespectful, but to avoid getting ill from air conditioning.

FryarTuk 2 years, 1 month ago

Flunk I always thought you was a monk. More cases of Legionnaires' disease I suppose.

Sherwood_Eagle_Alum 2 years, 1 month ago

"Appropriate dress" is an evolving notion. I would imagine what your great-grandparents deemed appropriate would differ drastically from what you think appropriate.

The shirt tail out or hoodie is just a style. Like bell bottoms were a fad years ago. Eventually it will not be stylish anymore, much like wearing your pants or shorts low enough to see your underwear will hopefully go out of style any day now.

chinaberry25 2 years, 1 month ago

Yes, but a private school girl shows up it weather like today in pink flip flops, blue jeans and a ugly coat at her grandmothers funeral. Daughter of a preacher and no respect for her grandmother, Jerk her out of that private school and let the black children teach her to dress decently,

Sherwood_Eagle_Alum 2 years, 1 month ago

Please elaborate on your last sentence.

GG126 2 years, 1 month ago

Even girls and boys at the primary and elementary levels in Lee and Dougherty Co. love their hoodies. They are not thugs or hiding from cameras. They are just following a trend and think it is a cool thing to do.

Jimboob 2 years, 1 month ago

When I was in the Army, back when we wore sandals and carried spears, you were not to wear fatigues in public. Now it's the norm. Style changes everywhere for everyone.

DRTexas 2 years ago

Yeah, I have a hard time with that one too. When I was in, we couldn't even go downtown to eat in fatigues. My son is in the Army now, and they are incouraged to wear their ACUs when traveling by air. Even on leave.

FryarTuk 2 years, 1 month ago

Well, I agree styles fluctuate but going to a funeral in shorts with shirt tail out is a bit much. Particularly for your grandmother.

VSU 2 years, 1 month ago

Fashionable or not, I see no need for anybody wearing a hoodie when it is 90 degrees outside, or indoors.

rock 2 years ago

When my Grandmother died at 100, she told everyone to come to celebrate her life and not mourn her death. She wanted everone in the loudest attire they had, she wanted a party and not a wake and at graveside she wanted to look down from heaven and seeing all the young people laughing and celebrating her life. Respect>>>> we loved her....100 years old and even in death wanted her family to enjoy life. People get over yourselfs and let life flow as it will. If you want to force your values on any one, stick your face in mirror and start there. For you bible commenters...do not judge, least you be judged the same....

FryarTuk 2 years ago

If you're going to have a beach party, fine. Put everybody on the same page and call it that. If you're going to have a funeral be appropriate. It's not judgement it's cultural discernment, socialization and maturity.