Volunteer firefighters shot in New York

WEBSTER, N.Y. (AP) — Four volunteer firefighters responding to a pre-dawn house fire were shot Monday morning, two fatally, leading to a shootout in suburban Rochester, N.Y., police said.

“One or more shooters” fired at the firefighters after they arrived shortly after 5:30 a.m. at the blaze near the Lake Ontario shore, just east of Rochester, Town of Webster Police Chief Gerald Pickering said.

There was no active shooter at the scene later Monday morning, according to Monroe County Sheriff Patrick O’Flynn. The first Webster police officer who arrived on the scene exchanged gunfire with the shooter, Flynn said, but he had no other information on the shootout.

The West Webster Fire District received a report of a car and house on fire on Lake Road, on a narrow peninsula where Irondequoit Bay meets Lake Ontario, Flynn said.

“When they got there, they stated to take on rounds and the initial responders were struck,” the sheriff said.

The fire started in one home and spread to two others and a car, officials said.

The two wounded firefighters were in critical condition at a Rochester hospital, Flynn said.

Webster, a middle-class, lakeside suburb, now is the scene of violence linked to house fires for two Decembers in a row.

Comments

VSU 1 year, 7 months ago

"Last Dec. 7, authorities say, a 15-year-old boy doused his home with gasoline and set it ablaze, killing his father and two brothers, 16 and 12. His mother and 13-year-old sister escaped with injuries. He is being prosecuted as an adult."

Yep, need to look at banning gasoline. Never know when another mentally troubled person will do something like this.

Shame people can't even work at putting out a fire without getting shot.

Sherwood_Eagle_Alum 1 year, 7 months ago

You are right, gasoline-related homicides are increasing to the point where they are close behind gun-related homicides. Before we ban gasoline, we first need to ask permission from hardcore right-wing southerners to make sure this doesn't violate their constitutional right to bear arms (gas, guns, bats...etc.) we must be prepared in case we must revolt against Obama and his socialist army.

Brother_Love 1 year, 7 months ago

I have noticed you always got some smart aleck comment to everything anybody says, if you disagree with someone, why not ignore it instead of making some wisecrack to it. Have you got nothing better to do with your lonely life? Typical white boy.

Sherwood_Eagle_Alum 1 year, 7 months ago

Ironic that this is coming from you. I count 3 "smart alec" responses from you in this one article alone. Isn't the point of a comment section to debate issues? I guess they didn't "learn you right" in school. If I were an ignorant white boy, I would call you a typical uneducated black man. Since I'm not, I won't.

Don't start something you aren't intellectually capable of finishing, BL.

Brother_Love 1 year, 7 months ago

Typically nerdy response from a racist white boy who thinks he knows everything. It ain't about responding, it's your attitude on how you respond. You think everything you say is right and everything everybody else says is wrong, well you are wrong. Your problem is you don't respect anybody's opinion, you think the only opinion that matters is yours, well you wrong again snotty white boy. Obviously your mama didn't teach you to respect others.

Sherwood_Eagle_Alum 1 year, 7 months ago

Game, set, match point.

Thanks for playing!

USTPC 1 year, 7 months ago

I do not think it would just be the right wing southerner that would have a problem with banning gasoline.

I have a solution though. Let's start requiring every American to have a permit to buy gas. Let's also require that every American has to keep the gas locked up so that some crazy person can't steal it and use it to commit a crime. Let's also require that every American register every gas can they own so that if the government decides to confiscate them in the name of public safety they know who owns them and how many they own. Let's make it illegal to sell gas cans and gas to criminals. Let's also set up gas free zones. Finally, let's require a background check every time an American buys a new or used gas can and/or gas. I am sure all of that would stop Arson.

Brother_Love 1 year, 7 months ago

Another stupid assed fool. I have a solition, call those people in the white suits before it too late. banning gasoline...you must be drinking some heavy stuff.

USTPC 1 year, 7 months ago

You really need to read the post again and learn reading comprehension skills. First, I said that banning gasoline would be an issue to more than just right wing Southerners. That comment was in response to the Sherwood_Eagle_Alum comment. Secondly, the paragraph about registering gas cans and needing a permit to buy gas...the sarcasm in what I posted should jump out at you. I was using the current requirements of legal gun owners and applying those to gasoline.

Brother_Love 1 year, 7 months ago

Why so you can run your racist mouth about another black thug doing wrong in society?

Sherwood_Eagle_Alum 1 year, 7 months ago

You obviously haven't read or comprehended what I have posted. I am the person calling people out for making racist comments against minorities. You, BrotherLove, have failed yet again with your ignorant comments. Better luck in 2013. Merry Christmas!

Brother_Love 1 year, 7 months ago

Whatever white boy! I seen you make racist comments on here so don't give me that sob story about sticking up for black people. You ain't never been black, so you don't know what it's like to be in a black man's shoes, so don't even go there. You just need to learn to respect everybody and keep out of people's business.

Sherwood_Eagle_Alum 1 year, 7 months ago

I said minorities, not just black people. Again, you have failed.

You do realize that calling me "white boy" is not an insult, much like it would not be an insult to call you "black boy?" It just makes you look even more ignorant. Better luck in 2013. Merry Christmas!

Brother_Love 1 year, 7 months ago

You a bigot too! Ain't no one trying to insult you sucker, just calling you what you are. You don't have to look ignorant, we already know.

URWrongAgain 1 year, 7 months ago

Just when you thought dumb rationale had been replaced by meaningful discussion.

Brother_Love 1 year, 7 months ago

And I believe you one of those fools that thought the world was coming to an end friday. You were wrong again sucker. Should change your name to IISWrongAgain.

VSU 1 year, 7 months ago

Hey don't blame me for the sick person that set his house on fire that killed his two brothers and his dad. Don't be mad at me because he proved my point that guns are not the only weapon a person can use to kill people. Don't hate me because once again it wasn't the gasoline that killed his family but the sick motive of the individual that lead to the death of his family members. Just because I am stating the fact and telling the truth doesn't make one a dumb person, it is the dumbasses that think these things can't happen that are the dumbasses so put that in you crackpipe and smoke it dumbass. Guns don't kill people, people kill people. Don't bother responding because I will not be back to read your dumbass response.

Brother_Love 1 year, 7 months ago

I hope those firefighters come out ok, too much bad in this world. Too many people with dark hearts.

Abytaxpayer 1 year, 7 months ago

Gun Control Works!!!

The Chicago Tribune reports that before the school year ended on June 15, 24 students had been fatally shot and 319 students were wounded by gunfire.That spike mirrors a rise in homicides and gun-related violence across the city, where the murder rate this year has nearly doubled the number of U.S. troops killed in Afghanistan over the same period.

Yep you are more likely to be killed in the city with the Strongest gun control in the US than you are as a soldier in the WAR in Afghanistan.

Brother_Love 1 year, 7 months ago

Wouldn't you know it. This shooter another crazed white man. Who would think that? We all knows it's the black people that goes around shooting and killing people.

FryarTuk 1 year, 7 months ago

I wish I had gotten dealt a hand in this one.