Police: Man defends himself, kills robbery suspect

ATLANTA — Police in Atlanta say a man was defending himself when he shot and killed a suspected robber on Christmas Eve.

Atlanta police spokeswoman Kim Jones says the attempted robbery happened Monday night on Jackson Street in southeast Atlanta.

Jones said investigators found that two men tried to rob a person, and the intended victim pulled his own gun to defend himself and shot one of the suspects.

Police tell The Atlanta Journal-Constitution (http://bit.ly/ZA2h7N) that the suspect who survived, a 21-year-old man, was taken into custody and is facing charges including armed robbery. Police said the dead man's name was not being released until relatives could be notified.

Comments

Clif 1 year, 8 months ago

Now that is what I call gun control.

RedEric 1 year, 8 months ago

I am happy to see this in the Herald. It should be in news nationwide. The happiness is not that someone died, but that this robbery was thwarted. It is a teaching moment, that robbery is not a long term business plan. Also, that confiscation is not a recommended policy to be adopted by Libs. Like the Greek said "Molon Labe".

FryarTuk 1 year, 8 months ago

He (the Greek) a defiant Leonidas would have won Thermopylae except a pissant traitor led the Persians through the secret passage to the Greeks position.

RedEric 1 year, 8 months ago

I thought the expression was used at Marathon.

Nous_Defions 1 year, 8 months ago

Tuk is correct it was the pass at Thermopylae defended by Leonidas and his Spartans

waltspecht 1 year, 8 months ago

Won't his partner get one heck of a suprise when he is charged with Murder?

FryarTuk 1 year, 8 months ago

Justice is served. The second ammendment is preserved. He only required one bullet. Affirms the wisdom of no need for weapons of terror.

USTPC 1 year, 8 months ago

In what part of the article does it say that he only fired one time? I must have missed that.

ilovealbany 1 year, 8 months ago

Unless the article changed from when you read, I believe you have failed your comprehension test ole' wise fryar...chances are he had a subcompact, semi-auto with a high cap mag and bullet #12 was the sleeping pill.

FryarTuk 1 year, 8 months ago

No, I read it on another paper's blog. And you were wrong about the weapon too.

Nous_Defions 1 year, 8 months ago

"Weapons of Terror"? Why would anyone need a Predator Drone for self defence?

FryarTuk 1 year, 8 months ago

Or a weapon that had a drum, clip or magazine that held multiple bullets. Also weapons of terror, mass destruction, assault weaponry, etc.

Nous_Defions 1 year, 8 months ago

Ah, NO! Malum Prohibitum laws don't work! Ref. Prohibition and the War against Drugs. Liberal mishmash regurgitated.

FryarTuk 1 year, 8 months ago

I remember "malum prohibitum" and "malum in se" from the movie "Legally Blond" where one (prohibitum) is more administrative regulatory violation and the other is a heinous crime. Well the bad thing here is the absence of the prohibitum promotes the occurrence and recurrence of the in se.

Nous_Defions 1 year, 8 months ago

In the massacre at Sandy Hook, numerous Malum Prohibitum laws were violated by the sicko (I will not give the little twerp any notoriety by using his name) prior to him firing a shot. Now how did those laws work in that case and the Wester NY shooting of the Firefighters?

FryarTuk 1 year, 8 months ago

What regulatory violations are you talking about. Carrying weapons into a school with the intent of murder would constitute a malum in se I would think. The murders and mayhem certainly constitute heinous crimes as well. The only issue of regulation here is if the weapons of mass murder themselves were prohibited. The mother who bought these weapons was presumably a law abiding citizens so if they were not available by law concomittantly she would not have owned them and her deranged son would not have committed mass murder with them possibly resulting in a less horrifying incident.

Nous_Defions 1 year, 8 months ago

Possession of a firearm (handgun) by a minor, theft, concealing a firearm without a license, possessing a firearm on school property, and I don't even begin to know what Connecticut laws were broken. All Malum Prohibitum laws. I believe Connecticut has had an "assault weapon" ban for years, and until the SH police say otherwise, the AR-15 rifle used in this case did not possess any of the cosmetic additions that made it an assault weapon by state law, such as a bayonet lug, collapsible stock, etc.

FryarTuk 1 year, 8 months ago

Assailant was Adam Peter Lanza, age 20 is that a minor in CT? I'm not quibbling about the "malum prohibitum" violations as I asked the question for information. I know the definition specs of the "assault weapon" is an engineered term and one which the security folks mock.

Nous_Defions 1 year, 8 months ago

Yes, no one under 21 can purchase a handgun (Federal Law), no one under 21 can possess a handgun, except for supervised hunting and sporting purposes (CT Law).

FryarTuk 1 year, 8 months ago

I see you point but I was thinking also of hunting rather than just hand guns. Some states are as low as 12. •Connecticut Hunting Age Requirements · 12 years w/ conservation education/firearms course · Must purchase hunting license & be accompanied/supervised by a licensed hunter 18+ yrs of age · 16 to hunt alone · http://www.ct.gov/dep/site/default.asp

USTPC 1 year, 8 months ago

Really? I read where it says he shot and killed a suspected robber but nowhere does it say whether it was one shot or multiple shots. Regardless, your desire to limit law abiding citizens to one shot guns is ludicrous. That would be the equivalent to disarming them completely.

FryarTuk 1 year, 8 months ago

If directed to me that's supplying something I did not say. I think anything up to 10 bullets is quite sufficient. I also am for the death penalty, red meat, against welfare fraud, sorry-a__ federal judges, and the United Nations. I like waving the flag, hunting, football, baseball, new babies, young pups, fishing, and pretty women. Am I in?

USTPC 1 year, 8 months ago

I stand corrected Fryartuk. I jumped to that conclusion based on your first statement about the second amendment being preserved and only one shot needed.

I disagree with the 10 bullet limit as I have handgun magazines that hold 15 and I see no issues with law abiding citizens owning these. I also have magazines for a 22 rifle that hold 25 which I happen to like because I do not have to reload as many times while target shooting. Once again laws against larger magazines only affect law abiding citizens because criminals do not follow the law.

The rest of what you believe - for the death penalty and red meat, against welfare fraud, sorry-a__federal judges, and the UN. Like flag waving, hunting, football, baseball, new babies, young pups, fishing and pretty women....I can agree with all that and respect you for it.

clifford 1 year, 8 months ago

Thats what will happen to Joe Bidens goons when they try to rob me of my guns. When its time to stand I will stand.

VietVet1 1 year, 8 months ago

Ah some good news. Just wish it would have been 2-0

Cartman 1 year, 8 months ago

Sounds like it was a good shoot.

bigbob 1 year, 8 months ago

This is what gun control means to real citizens. If he had shot both of them & they were liberal Obummacraps it would have been perfect.

USTPC 1 year, 8 months ago

"There are people calling for the banning of assault weapons who could not define an "assault weapon" if their life depended on it. Yet the ignorant expect others to take them seriously." - Thomas Sowell

chinaberry25 1 year, 8 months ago

Bet they got the surprise of their lives. One lost his and the other will be charged with his death. Two for one. Oh, but they were good boys and did not deserve this treatment.