Hallmark store closing

After 30 years, Amy's Hallmark Store in the Albany Mall is closing on Monday. Mall officials say they are on the lookout for a replacement tenant. (Dec. 28, 2012)

ALBANY, Ga. -- One of the mall's oldest continuous tenants is packing up shop and closing its doors, mall officials say.

Amy's Hallmark store has been in operation for nearly 30 years inside the Albany Mall but will close Jan. 27., mall spokesperson Debra Rowe said.

A clerk at the store couldn't answer why the store was closing, only confirming that it would be closing.

Rowe said that the mall's leasing staff is continually searching for tenants to fill the mall's open spaces.

"They're always working to find new stores to bring into the mall," Rowe said.

According to its website, Hallmark has no other stores within a 50-mile radius. The greeting card, gift and holiday ornament retailer is struggling to remain relevant in an age when Internet-based greeting card distributors have become the epitome of personalization and convenience.

A 2011 Los Angeles Times piece points to the decline of the conventional greeting-card market.

"In the Internet age, with electronic greetings of all kinds now available, sales of traditional greeting cards have been on a long, gradual decline. In 1995, the national Greeting Card Assn. boasted that 2.7 billion Christmas holiday cards would be sold that year. This year, that number has dropped to 1.5 billion cards."

The newest addition to the mall includes the China Shuttle, a new chinese food restaurant near the mall's main entrance.

Comments

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 6 months ago

Albany is looking more like Haiti every day.

FryarTuk 1 year, 6 months ago

I've re-thought it and you are right. I'm going with Haiti now with all the mendicants. At least in Soweto they demur in their begging.

FryarTuk 1 year, 6 months ago

I was thinking more like Soweto not SoWeGA.

chinaberry25 1 year, 6 months ago

First to go. I have not been inside the mall in years. I do go to Belks and park in the back and the bookstore. It could go out of business because I do most of my shopping in Columbus. I had rather shop in places like the outlet mall there.

RedEric 1 year, 6 months ago

Ah geez, just when I thought everything was going OK!!

beartrap 1 year, 6 months ago

just a sign of the changing times....what has killed the greeting card stores is every grocery and drug store in town sells greeting cards plus wal-mart,k-mart,target etc. things change,remember when malls had Swiss colony cheese stores then grocery stores saw the market for an expanded selection of cheese and that was end of the swiss colony...

FlunkyMonkey 1 year, 6 months ago

I wish Halmark would open in another location----I can't remember there not being a Halmark Store in Albany.

FryarTuk 1 year, 6 months ago

It's hard for small specialty shops to make it in a land of volume shoppers and box stores.

alleebrin 1 year, 6 months ago

Hallmark has had its heyday. With the advent of electronic communications, it's more convenient and quicker to send an e-mail, e-card, etc. and elude the postal stamp at what? 43 cents these days!! However, there are those who still insist on sending cards through the postal service and will pick up a cheaper card at Wal-Mart or at Dollar General for 50 cents. So goes innovation!

ZCorp 1 year, 6 months ago

Um, Not everyone lives their lives by E-Mails ! lol, I happen to enjoy sending traditional cards. By the way, a lot of older relatives of mine do not own a computer. so, How would they recieve my digitial greeting card ? Exactly. Do not assume everyone lives the same ! Thank You

beenhereawhile 1 year, 6 months ago

Yes, Hallmark is past its heydey. For all that are mourning its decline, how much money have you spent there in the last year?

Also, in other places, I have seen Hallmark stores that are in strip malls. The overhead at the mall is way too high for a store selling greeting cards.

whattheheck 1 year, 6 months ago

Those in the card business are killing themselves with pricing. The better cards are in the $4 range which is a little pricey for older folks who are the ones still sending cards. Younger folks don't send as many, the ones who also don't take the printed news, and the market is, shall we say, dying. The fixed overhead of a card shop is wiping them out.