Squawk of the Day 29 Dec 2012

"I am a shopper that wants a receipt handed to me so that I can record it in my checkbook. Everyone is different."

Comments

chinaberry25 1 year, 8 months ago

They are suppose to do that anyway whether you want it or not. If you are not given a receipt, then expect your money to go in their pockets.

FryarTuk 1 year, 8 months ago

I like receipts handed to me as well when I pay for something. The airport parking lot is terrible about giving receipts especially for cash. You shouldn't have to ask and they should never ask if you "want" one. Our employees are instructed to give receipts before boxing the products. Count the change back from the receipt amount all the way to the currency given. Say, "thank you, it was nice to see you today. Please come back now, ya heah?" No deviation. If they spend money at our house we gonna treat them proper 'cause we were raised right!

skilletsdirt 1 year, 8 months ago

What's a checkbook? I do everything online.

agirl_25 1 year, 8 months ago

Me too skilletsdirt.......except once in a while my husband and I go to the MCLB and stock up on groceries and he will run by the grocery store for bread, milk, etc, but other than that everything is done online. We put everything on an AmEx credit card we use thru the Pentagon Federal Credit Union, earn points and soon I will have enough points for a round trip plane ticket to Europe............yee haw...!!! (No I am not drowning in interest....have it set up to pay the balance every month.) I do have a debit card too but it seldom gets used. Anyway, I make folders in my email and then when I buy something and get the online receipt I move the receipt to the folder and there it is.....all ready for me should the need arise to use it in the future... Don'cha love online shopping, skillet..I know I do....

rightasrain 1 year, 8 months ago

I totally agree Tuk; sadly though, too many cashiers do not know how to properlly count change back to the customer. All they know to do is hand back change (bills and coins) in one lump, leaving the customer to count the change. When this happens to me, I stand in place, count my change, and if it is correct, then leave. Believe it or not, I had one "young" cashier at Walmart who had trouble figuring out Quarters, nickels and dimes! I guess Walmart should post pictures of change like they do fruit!

whattheheck 1 year, 8 months ago

I believe it! Like the high school age kid working fast food a few years ago that, after several tries to give correct change, grabbed a handful and said "take what you need".

Sherwood_Eagle_Alum 1 year, 8 months ago

In efforts to "go green," which is corporate talk for saving money, my company wants our front line employees to ask the customer if they would like us to email them the receipt. I'm not particularly fond of that from a customer stand point because you are then assuming you will receive the receipt. From a company point of view it is a good way to cut back on costs without affecting the actual product or service. I just tell my managers and employees to ask the customer if they prefer an emailed receipt or hard copy. My company is in the technology sector so it's a little bit different than getting a receipt at Wal Mart or Publix. We provide products and services that would allow you to see the emailed receipt before you leave the store, or at least receive it before you get home.

I think what the squawker is getting at is the cashier handing the receipt to him/her instead of putting it in the bag. Many people don't keep track of their spending like when writing checks was the popular form of payment. People just swipe their card and pay the credit card bill if they have funds in their checking account to cover it. Not a very smart thing to do.

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 8 months ago

"I think what the squawker is getting at is the cashier handing the receipt to him/her instead of putting it in the bag."

Eagle, you are exactly correct. When you finish the transaction, the cashiers shove the receipt, paper money, and quarters, dimes, nickles and pennies in your hand and start on the next person in line. If you have a sack of groceries in your right hand and a handful of everything in your left hand, what do you do? Shove the whole mess into your pocket or purse and deal with it later? Why not put the receipt in a bag and just give the customer the change so they can put it away immediately.

TRUTH101 1 year, 8 months ago

I wonder how many of the complainers actually hand the cashier money instead of putting it on the counter?

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 8 months ago

If you hand it to them you might have to have skin contact. Uggh.

LoneCycler 1 year, 8 months ago

Cashiers are graded on how quickly they can scan a customer's purchases. At grocery stores they expect cashiers to have a scan rate of between 500 and 800 items per hour, depending on the day and store. This is recorded by the register along with how long it takes them to complete the sale and tender change and begin scanning the next customer's items. They're in a hurry to do all this because that's how management evaluates their performance.

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 8 months ago

Here's what will really get your blood boiling: Make a transaction for.....say...$13.48. Hand the cashier a $20 bill and they plug that into their register. Then remember you've already got a pile of pennies in your purse and you don't want no more. So grab out 3 cents and give that to the cashier. Let me tell you that 999 out of 1000 cashiers in Albany will be unable to figure out what they owe you back in change. And most have a high school diploma and college under their belt. It's pitiful.

FryarTuk 1 year, 8 months ago

If you hand the receipt back that's just good business. If there is cash involved and the receipt is given along with the change counted back that's better business. I don't like WalMart and very rarely shop there even though in these difficult times a family with children probably have no choice but to buy the cheap clothes, toys and things.