Squawk of the Day - Feb. 3, 2012

"DCSS has and will always be a loser because of hiring practices. If you’re not from the ASU network, you’re out. If you have standards of excellence that require a predominantly ignorant family base to step up, you’re out. DCSS hires “their own.” Therefore, the same standards and ideas continue to prevail."

Comments

Spike 2 years, 6 months ago

Now that's the squawk of the year! Albany has to want to change. The last generation (30 years) has seen a steady decline. The education system and what it produces will effect the next generation and the future of Albany as well as SW Georgia. Someone told me yesterday that they didn't think it was possible to change Albany. I hope he was wrong.

ObjectiveEyes 2 years, 6 months ago

Now, THERE'S a squawk! And the racist accusations begin in, 5, 4, 3 ...

Shinedownfan 2 years, 6 months ago

Like!!! (I cant get the "Like" button on the right to work.)

coachjohnson42 2 years, 6 months ago

"Darton has and will always be a loser because of hiring practices. If you’re not from the Darton network, you’re out. If you have standards of excellence that require a predominantly ignorant family base to step up, you’re out. Darton hires “their own.” Therefore, the same standards and ideas continue to prevail."

TheBoss 2 years, 6 months ago

coachjohnson42...I am impressed that you have learned how to use the "Find and Replace" feature on the computer.

Abytaxpayer 2 years, 6 months ago

Coach you are so FUNNY in your regurgitations in an attempt to stir the pot....... "HERE’S YOUR SIGH"

bubbavet 2 years, 6 months ago

ANOTHER PRIME EXAMPLE OF "A WASTE IS A TERRIBLE THING TO MIND"

agirl_25 2 years, 6 months ago

Back in the days of Albany Junior College it was actually a good school, with very good teachers, who I am sure, would cringe if they could see what it has become. I am especially talking about some of the English professors who were wonderful educators, spoke lovely English, instilled in the students the love of the written and spoken word and actually made it an enjoyable experience to be in class. Now AJC, (ugh, Darton) is another sports minded hole with poorly educated students taught by poorly educated teachers who probably come from a local University. I don't know coachjohnson, maybe you are right, maybe you have to be in the so called "Darton network". Maybe the ASU disease has infected Darton now. Sad, so sad, for the late 70's and early 80's saw some truly wonderful learning opportunities at Albany Junior College in many fields of study with some truly dedicated instructors. Over the years it has been sad to note the passing of many of them too for teachers of their caliber are few and far between. As far as the predominately ignorant base comment goes....I am totally lost there...but could make a mean comment but won't.

rorschach 2 years, 6 months ago

"If you have standards of excellence that require a predominantly ignorant family base to step up, you’re out.” I really don't know what you're trying to say here. @Spike, judging from your reaction to the squawk that maligned the practices at Sherwood I would have thought that you would know how the tone of certain squawks affects people in a negative way. Some of the same people that you were consistently in bed with on so many issues were suddenly attacking something that you hold dear and you fought back with a vengeance. Judging from many of your previous squawks, I was surprised that you held such strong Christian beliefs. I believe that a lot of the negative squawks about Albany, especially DCSS, are true to some degree and I believe that they should be discussed in a public forum such as this. However I also believe that prayer is a better alternative than adding fuel to a fire that is already out of control. If we unite in prayer, I believe that God will change the city for the better. But in our limited wisdom we don't really know what the real problem is. We should just pray and ask God to do his will and we should be patient and do good work in areas we can control.

Shinedownfan 2 years, 6 months ago

' "If you have standards of excellence that require a predominantly ignorant family base to step up, you’re out.” I really don't know what you're trying to say here. ' Me neither! I asked my friend who is a college grad to explain it to me. I'm awaiting her reply.

tywebb 2 years, 6 months ago

here's my guess.....If you are a potential or present teacher/administrator, and you believe that the students' family should be involved in the education of the student (but they won't be because they're uneducated themselves), then you're out!

tywebb 2 years, 6 months ago

even though my wisdom is limited, i can still figure out the problems with dcss. here we go:

1 parental involvement is basically, non-existant

2 the town is racist and will vote for unqualified school board members based on their race. Even after they have proven themselves to be unqualified.

3 the buddy system is thriving in the dcss, resulting in the hiring of one of the most unqualified supers in the history of mankind.

4 teachers get more and more put on their plates than ever before, but due to furloughs, make less and less.

5 dcss is top heavy.. there are too many chiefs

6 kids (and their parents) want things handed to them without having to work for it. Entitlement

7 gangs

8 no child left behind.....which results in schools doing anything they can to make ayp......which will lead to cheating due to the fact that some of the employees have little to no ethics.

this is just a starting point. I'm sure there will be plenty more added.

KaosinAlbany 2 years, 6 months ago

I like how you mentioned there is too many chiefs. This is what happened at APD before Proctor came in and Younger ruined APD for years. I know a lot of people are going to bash me for this comment but I think APD is getting better with Chief Proctor. It is just going to take some time. In other words there needs to be a regime change in order for the school board to figure out there are too many chiefs.

Spike 2 years, 6 months ago

True. God gave us both prayer and the ability to do things to His glory. Won't argue with that. BTW, saw Courageous tonight and cried like a little girl.

PatrickY2K 2 years, 6 months ago

DCSS hires ASU graduates because they are the ones applying for the jobs. You've watched Merck, P&G, Cooper Tire, and companies too numberous to mention, pick-up and leave. People aren't falling over themselves to move to Albany. Improve the city and it will grow. Improve the city and we will all have a bigger and more diverse pool of applicants from which to choose.

Having said that, the DCSS missed an opportunity to make a big difference when the superintendent was hired. Don't bother doing a nation-wide search for the most qualified candidates, if you're going to hire the 34th most qualified candidate who has no experience, and is still not certified.

agirl_25 2 years, 6 months ago

Patrick......you forgot Firestone....I remember when it packed up and left....and I remember sadly when Kroger packed up and left. Yes, the last 30+ years has seen an awful decline in Albany...in everything......and I mean EVERYTHING!!!!

KaosinAlbany 2 years, 6 months ago

Yeah, and we paid Dr. Sampson all that money to help with the applicant process for the new super and DCSB didn't even take his advice so why in the heck did we hire him in the first place if they already knew who they were going to pick before hand. I remember we paid him thousands of our tax dollars for Dr. Sampson's opinion.

waltspecht 2 years, 6 months ago

Speaking of which, is anyone holding Murfree accountable for completing the qualifications he should have had in the first palce? How about it HERALD?

PatrickY2K 2 years, 6 months ago

He has three years to earn certification. My initial guess was that he was on the "three year plan", anyway, with no intention of earning certification.

waltspecht 2 years, 6 months ago

Are they still paying his Mentor

PatrickY2K 2 years, 6 months ago

I'm sure she is. She's busy mentoring, rather than adequately supervising test administrations.

KaosinAlbany 2 years, 6 months ago

Kind of like the lady at the Chamber that is now at Equinox.

Cartman 2 years, 6 months ago

Did #34 ever get his certificate?

Jacob 2 years, 6 months ago

Do you think it matters either way?