Schools should expel troublemakers

It is about time everyone realized that in order to teach, you have to establish order. Remove the disruptive influences from the school system, for they take entirely too much time to deal with and most of that time is wasted. When they remain in school, they provide a role model that we shouldn't want any of our students following.

There is no logical reason for any student to be afraid of going to school, yet there are some that are. There is no logical reason for teachers to be afraid of going to work, yet some are. For a more conducive environment, we need to weed out and permanently remove the disruptive influences, for we allow them to steal the education of others by preventing teachers from teaching and students from learning all they can.

Remember, an education is one thing that can never be repossessed. We owe it to the normal students to provide them the best education possible, even at the expense of not trying to educate the problems, for time has proven we have a whole bunch that don't want to be educated.

WALT SPECHT

Leesburg

Comments

Citizen_A 2 years, 2 months ago

Your plan sounds very good, but is a little flawed. What do you do with the disruptive influences when you weed them out and permanently remove them? I agree that in a perfect world it seems only fair to remove them for those who want to learn and behave. But the fact is the disruptions have as much right to obtain an education as everyone else. Unfortunately, until you can find a way to teach morals to these disruptive influences and the people raising them, we will just have to find a way for the others to overcome the distractions. It gripes my butt just as much as it does yours, but what can we realistically do?

I guess the quote from Theodore Roosevelt is true... "To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society" There seems to be a great lack of morals these days. Roosevelt also said "Obedience of the law is demanded; not asked as a favor." Maybe if people took a little of his wisdom, we might get somewhere.

waltspecht 2 years, 2 months ago

Now, I may be a Senior Citizen, but in my time as a student, you got tossed out if you didn't behave. Let alone do what some of these Thugs are doing.They really didn't care what you did with yourself. Most went to work as laborers because they had to eat and their a Parent's told them they made their bed, lie in it. The Draft got a lot of them, and straightened some of them out. My Boot Camp Company was 60% McNamara's 10,000. Floks the military normally wouldn't accept. 80% improved in Boot, and served their hitch. So before all the touchy feely stuff, and the PC correctness, the Military could straighten some of them out.

Citizen_A 2 years, 2 months ago

I may not be a senior citizen, but I went to school when corporal punishment was still legal and encouragedby parents. And if school paddled you, dad got you when you got home.

My comment to you wasn't so much out of PC correctnes, but reality. Today's society is so much different than the time you or even I experienced in school.

These days those who don't want to go to school, don't want to work. And Momma and Daddy would sue everyone they could before forcing them out to fend for themselves. The worst of them would be glad to be sent home to further their gang careers. And the government is willing to continue feeding the problem.

I would love to support the idea of sending them to the military or to work. That would work with those 16 and up. But the behavior problems start much younger. Believe me my kids tell me about it all the time. My middle schooler told me once last year that her teacher spent more time calling parents of bad kids than teaching. I myself would love for my kids to have the educational environment free from the hoodlums. But the fact is the change has got to start in the homes. And until you get the parents to own up to the fact that they have bad kids and want to do something about it, it isn't going to happen. Entitlement has become second nature, and is overuling morals and common decency.

waltspecht 2 years, 2 months ago

Unfortunately it is because the average Citizen, like you and I, has allowed it to happen. It is hard to take something away, but much easier to stop it in the first place. Had we all had the courage to stop this stuff when it first started, we would have been a lot better off. Now it will take a major altercation of the Classes to resolve it, and I believe our President is pushing this Country in that direction.

Citizen_A 2 years, 2 months ago

I don't know that I allowed it to happen as most of the changes in edcation occured between the time I finished school and having children in the system. And until you have children in schools noone can fully grasp what is going on. And unfortunately other than voting the average citizen doesn't have much power without the help of numbers. And most of the average citizens I know find it easier to homeschool. While I support their right to do so, I think it has affected the schools.

I agree that an altercation of classes will have to occur to make changes. Until then I will just continue to work on my children, and continue to be their biggest advocate, and sqeeze out the best education I can.

whodat 2 years, 2 months ago

Walt, as a teacher in the trenches, I wholeheartedly agree with your position. At my school, here’s what happens: we call parents, give detention, and other means of “discipline” before sending them to the office. As you can imagine, the parents are no help (their children get away with bad behavior at home) and the student laughs at detention—they have no intention of staying after school and will tell you that to your face. So finally it gets to the point where a discipline referral gets to the office to be handled by administration. What do they do? In my experience, I have had a student tell me “f--- you” to my face and nothing whatsoever was done. Another instance of “f--- you” and the administrator told the kid to “apologize”. I have students who bully others (and disrupt class to do so) but administrators do nothing more than put them in ISS for a day or send them home for a day. Many administrators send these kids right back to the same class they just turned into a WWF cage match 30 minutes earlier. Oh, and when the dust settles, it’s the teacher’s fault because a) they have poor classroom management, or b) their lesson is not “engaging” enough to keep them focused on the lesson.

If the public wants an orderly classroom environment for their child, they are going to have to get up off their butts, recruit their friends, family, and neighbors to the cause, and call/write their legislators, their school board members, the media---whatever it takes to take back your schools. You will also have to fight these boneheaded judges who make rulings that allow these disruptive kids to be “mainstreamed”. The paperwork required to prove that these kids need to be removed is to cut down an entire forest. It’s easier to let them stay in the classroom and ruin your child’s education.

Citizen_A 2 years, 2 months ago

I applaud all the teachers that have to put up with the crap these kids can dish out. My son has been bullied, and feel the frustration you feel. My daughter complains all the time that the bad kids pick on her and blame her for things because she behaves in class. And because the kids who give her a hard time are african american, it looks like I am being racist if I complain. Yes there are bad white kids, but they aren't the ones bothering her. What do you do?

I agree that the public needs to come together, because as individual parents we seem to be powerless.

boyoboy 2 years, 2 months ago

My wife, who is a teacher, has had students meet her in the hall, grab their crotch and say lewd things to her. Nothing is ever done. No discipline, detention or expulsion. It's black kids that do this and the administrators and principal are all black. Go figure.

waltspecht 2 years, 2 months ago

This type of behavior should be reported to, and handled by the school police. The reporting should be documented and if appropriate charges aren't filed, a civil suit against the school system should be persued for the law grants you the right to a workplace free of sexual harassment.

LuLu 2 years, 2 months ago

I think what we need in schools today is voluntary REsegregation. There's no doubt in my mind that the students would be more receptive to this, and probably the parents, too. Of course, I'm for mandatory birth control, too, in some instances, so flame on...

gotanyfacts 2 years, 2 months ago

There are many straws that are breaking the camel's back here, most of them being placed there by the federal government and courts. Guidelines from Uncle Sam make it nearly impossible to remove unruly students. At best they may be relatively isolated elsewhere at considerable cost. The explosion of antisocial and disruptive behavior can be tied to an illogical expansion, by the courts, of free speech to free expression. Instead of a government "by the people" determining what the bounds of decency would be, the courts gave that authority to those with no morals. Then LBJ's well intentioned "great society" spawned a great wave of disintegrating families with a welfare mentality. Work didn't bring home the bacon; it just appeared at the doorstep. Many benefited but our national sense of self responsibility was shred. Then, of course, the denial of the part religion plays in the very foundation of our society and the morals required for a society to survive.