ASU professors set to visit western Africa

From left, Albany State University professors Ganiya Olatunde, Kimberly King-Jupiter and Kimberly Fields will participate in a forum for policy dialogue on education and training in Burkina Faso in Africa.

ALBANY -- Three Albany State University educators have been invited to participate in the Association for the Development of Education in Africa (ADEA) and the Ministry of Education and Literacy of Burkina Faso Triennale on Education and Training.

ASU educators participating in the Triennale are Kimberly King-Jupiter, Kimberly Fields and Ganiya Olatunde.

The Triennale will be held in Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, from Sunday through Feb. 17 at the Ouagadougou 2000 International Conference Centre.

"I am ecstatic that our college will be represented at these proceedings and I hope that we can leverage our experiences in Ouagadougou to the benefit of teachers and students in Southwest Georgia," said King-Jupiter, dean of the ASU College of Education, "The struggle for a better quality of education is a global struggle and the challenges of educating students are also global. The fact that the challenges intersect at various points suggests to me that strategies for overcoming challenges might also intersect."

The 2012 ADEA Triennale is a forum for policy dialogue on education and training that will bring together African Ministers of Education, development partners, experts and stakeholders in education in Africa.

The Triennale is designed to build systems and mechanisms which develop critical knowledge, skills and qualifications to provide African countries the capacity to meet the challenges of sustainable development.

"The goal is to help create a sustainable economy, which is much like we are trying to so in Southwest Georgia right now," Fields said. "We are looking for new ideas to help the continent and us."

The Triennale participants will assist with the initiative to develop education and training systems that will provide the human capital Africa needs for its sustainable development.

The theme of the 2012 Triennale is: "Promoting critical knowledge, skills and qualifications for sustainable development in Africa: how to design and implement an effective response by education and training systems."

"Basically we want to see what resources might be available and to provide support in helping them leverage those resources," King-Jupiter said.

Comments

coachjohnson42 2 years, 8 months ago

ASU is just a well-rounded diverse group of educators.......A world class education......just a great move ASU....we are proud of you!

43cop 2 years, 8 months ago

Well, here we go again. I noticed we dropped the unqualified persons allowed to enter the "so-called" University, now I assume that tax payers dollars will fund the trip for three (3) Professors to where-ever. Sorry, I am not familiar with the location, but that is not a concern, just that they get to go. If I am not correct in the funding, someone tell me where the money is coming from for this venture as I called the financial department at ASU and they were very hateful when they said "the tax payers will pay for this just as they do everything else for us". The End.

TrixibelleBento 2 years, 8 months ago

Sounds like a taxpayer funded vacay to me!

Parent 2 years, 8 months ago

Well if it were Professors from Darton College going I bet it wouldn't make a difference to you "bloggers"!

VSU 2 years, 8 months ago

The Darton College professors are not making the trip.

JBruce 2 years, 8 months ago

Lets see, air fare to Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso booking a month in advance costs a minimum of $4,800. Of course lodging and food will be additional and I would be willing to wager that people who hold the positions of these 3 ASU officials will be staying in expensive hotels and eating expensive meals. I doubt there are any Super 8 hotels and McDonalds restaurants in Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso. Consider too that a passport is required that I am sure the expense for that was picked up by the taxpayers as well. Consideration also must be made as to who will fill the obligations and duties of these 3 professors while they are on this trip.

Ms. King-Jupiter says she is extatic about ASU being represented and anticipates being able to "leverage" the experience from this trip to benefit the teachers and students in southwest Georgia. Sounds to me that the leveraging began when the request for funds was made for this trip and approved! She references the struggle for a better education in south Georgia, I tend to think that struggle could be best addressed with all participants focusing on local solutions, staying in the immediate area, and let the Africans do likewise.

I am looking forward to seeing ASU become such an improved learning institution as a result of this trip...but I think I will be sadly disappointed.

agirl_25 2 years, 8 months ago

I read the article a few times and still don't understand the purpose of the trip. Sorry, but can someone explain it to me. Are the ASU people going to teach the Africans how to teach better or are the ASU people going to teach the Africans skills? Thank you.

VSU 2 years, 8 months ago

Maybe the Africans are going to teach the Professors from ASU some skills. Sorry...couldn't resist.

Sister_Ruby 2 years, 8 months ago

We would all appreciate a Trip Report when you return to address the question: "Would black people in the USA today have been better off if their ancestors had never left Africa, even against their will? (or for that matter would they even be alive at all right now?)". I think an honest answer to this question could make folks a little more content with their current circumstances.

coachjohnson42 2 years, 8 months ago

wow.....sister Ruby....what else is the KLAN thinking about today?

Sister_Ruby 2 years, 8 months ago

It's an interesting question for people who are not afraid to THINK.

coachjohnson42 2 years, 8 months ago

How much are the Klan dues anyway?

Black_Falcon 2 years, 8 months ago

To ALL of the people complaining about how much the trip is going to cost, rest assured your precious tax payer dollars are not funding this venture between ASU and the 2012 ADEA Triennale. If the posters on this blog are smart enough to write a grant that markets their skills, talents and abilities, then maybe, just maybe they, too, can enjoy an all expense trip to some where outside the USA. While most of the bloggers on this site do not recognize ASU for anything other than negativity, there are those (around the world) who recognize the positive work the professors at ASU are doing and are willing to pay for their expertise. However, please don't let these facts intrude on your biased rhetoric.

chinaberry25 2 years, 8 months ago

Aha! Our tax dollars. Are they admitting that they pay no tax dollars. Seems that way to me. Guess that is the reason he she or it does not care how they are spent. When you pay no taxes you don't give a rats' a... how they are spent.

Sister_Ruby 2 years, 8 months ago

For The Record: Grant = Tax Dollars. Tax Dollars takes many forms and many names but it all comes out of MY POCKET and the pockets of those who work and pay taxes.

Black_Falcon 2 years, 8 months ago

For the record, this trip is being paid for entirely by the ADEA. For the life of me, I cannot understand why people are complaining about a trip in which US tax dollars are NOT involved. Maybe it is just too simple for people to understand. Or, maybe people just love to complain. The African government can spend its money how it sees fit, and, if they choose to pay for outside expertise, then so be it. To me, it just goes to show that some people are either so racist or so ignorant that they will complain about anything regardless of how relevant their complaints are.

Jacob 2 years, 8 months ago

Hey BF. It doesn't matter to me one way or the other if they go. Just want to point out to you that grant awards are in almost every case funded by tax dollars. Thanks for playing, though.

Black_Falcon 2 years, 8 months ago

I don't think people in South Africa pay US taxes. This trip is being paid for ENTIRELY by the ADEA. Your precious tax dollars are not funding this.

LuLu 2 years, 8 months ago

I don't find anything humorous about your use of the phrase "your precious tax dollars". Do you call yourself being sarcastic? They ARE very precious because we work hard at our jobs to earn OUR tax dollars. There is nothing at all wrong with us questioning how OTHERS spend OUR money that is forcefully TAKEN from us and GIVEN to them.

Black_Falcon 2 years, 8 months ago

Your outrage shoud be expressed in cases where it is warranted. This incident is not such a case. If you are that concerned about your tax dollars, where is the outrage at Gov. Deal diverting money collected from "Joshua's Law" that is suppose to go to fund teenage drivers education programs, to fund pet projects in his home town. Until your actions match your rhetoric, it is all hypocrisy!

Jacob 2 years, 8 months ago

I do think the South African government receives foreign aid from the United States, so yes, it is still our precious tax dollars that are funding this circus, even if indirectly.

Black_Falcon 2 years, 8 months ago

Now I understand why Albany is the regressive city it is. How can a closed minded group of people ever hope to progress? Thank you for clearing things up for me.

Jacob 2 years, 8 months ago

Does that mean you're leaving? Bye.

Black_Falcon 2 years, 8 months ago

I haven't lived in Albany for 15 years now. I moved primarily because of the abundance of close-minded, shallow, and backwards thinking individuals. No offense.

Black_Falcon 2 years, 8 months ago

To Sister Ruby, would white people in the USA be as far ahead of other ethnic groups if they had not STOLEN the land from the Native Americans? Or, if they did not enslave a group of people for hundreds of years and capitalize on decades of FREE LABOR. I think when you compare the 420 year head start white people have had in this country over other ethnic groups (especially Black folk) it puts current circumstances into perspective. We can have different opinions, but let's not have different facts.

rock 2 years, 8 months ago

Slavery ended decades ago...That is cop out for the racist blacks to use for not getting an education. Unless you are over 150 y/0 you were never a slave and have had ample or better opportunities to get educated. So please if you mention slavery mention it in the context that slavery WAS an issue in this part of the U.S. NOW in 2012 it is just a lame excuse for keeping you and the balcks of the region under educated. Educated black have said it over and over and over again Grow up, quit the blame game and get educated.

Black_Falcon 2 years, 8 months ago

Slavery ended Dec. 6, 1865. However, ending slavery did not erase the MILLIONS of dollars made by the slave owners which was passed down over the years. This help to explain the wealth gap between whites and othr ethnic groups. After slavery, the US moved into the JIM Crow era, a de facto form of slavery. Nothing changed but the name. Black folk could still be LEGALLY discriminated against. This discrimination made it difficult at best for Black folk to advance. The Jim Crow era came to an end in the late 60's early 70's with the passage of many Civil Rights laws. So from this country's birth until the 1970's, Black folk could LEGALLY be oppressed and discriminated against. Black folk have had about 50 years of being considered equal in this country. Yet, all things considerd, Black folk are doing well. I know this doesn't mesh with what you see on TV, but as a whole, Black folk are making tremendous progress.

coachjohnson42 2 years, 8 months ago

Teach them fools baby!!!! Teach!!!!

Sister_Ruby 2 years, 8 months ago

The Millions made by slave owners (in the South AND North)......at what point will that become offset by the BILLIONS in entitlement spending being handed out EACH and EVERY year in America right now?

agirl_25 2 years, 8 months ago

Yes they have made and are making progress but why is the race card still used a lot of the time? If I wanted to have a Miss White Teen America Pagent would Jesse Jackson be the first one hollering "racist racist" and marching in front of my place of business with his other pulpit pimps? Why then is it OK for blacks to have a Miss Black Teen America Pagent? Why can't I yell "racist racist"? Just asking. Maybe I want my 15 minutes of fame and want to be interviewed on the TODAY show. AS IF!!!! Well to be perfectly honest, I did yell "racist, racist" one time (I am white) and won (buffs fingernails on chest) for there is such a thing as discrimination against whites. Why is it that everyone thinks only blacks are discriminated against? Mine had to do with housing benefits when we applied for a VA loan and were denied and given a runaround excuse about residency. My husband was active duty at the time, ready to retire. I bought a book published by the ACLU concerning the rights of veterans. Just because it was put out by the American Civil Liberties Union does not mean it is a commie pinko group. Everyone has civil liberties and everyone has the potential of being discriminated against...why do you always assume one must be black. i read the book cover to cover and learned a lot about what rights my husband and I had and was ready to do battle. Armed with my knowledge I forged ahead. In a nutshell...I won, they lost....I proved I was discriminated against. Life is short....stop with the black/white thing...live your life to the fullest...this black white thing is causing more problems than it is worth.....GET OVER IT.

chinaberry25 2 years, 8 months ago

Let us see, for the last 40 years or so we have paid for that slave labor by the welfare and free health and food that is drawn just in Albany, GA. You can quit beating that dog to death or go back to Africa. I am sure we can come up with your airfare by tomorrow. Delta awaits.

Sister_Ruby 2 years, 8 months ago

My question is still valid relative to people of African descent. I would not argue with most of your facts, especially regarding the Native Americans. And if whites had stayed in Europe, we'd currently be living in what would look remarkably like Obama's vision for a Socialist America.

VSU 2 years, 8 months ago

How can you say the white people had a head start in this country? The Native Americans were here before they were.

MRKIA 2 years, 8 months ago

THE AMOUNT OF MONEY IT COSTS TO HOST THE 3 PROFESSORS COULD BE BETTER USED TO BUY BOOKS, COMPUTERS AND INSTRUCTIONAL MATERIALS FOR CHILDREN IN AFRICA AS OPPOSED TO THIS DE-FACTO VACATION. LET'S CALL THIS THING WHAT IT REALLY IS BECAUSE THERE IS WILL BE NOTHING TO EVER SHOW FOR IT EXCEPT IN THE MEMORIES OF THE PROFESSORS.

agirl_25 2 years, 8 months ago

I thought that is what Oprah did........doesn't she have schools there?

gotanyfacts 2 years, 8 months ago

I'll join Coach in congratulating the group for their opportunity. Don't know enough about the professors or the school's quality to echo the accolades. Too bad the comments degenerated as they did. If you are going to hate those you disagree with, you're going to hate everyone!

waltspecht 2 years, 8 months ago

Look, lets not fool ourselves. There maybe some direct relationship with ASU that created this opportunity for them. However, the Professors are still on the Taxpayers dollar unless they have taken vacation. Does anyone really believe the offer wouldn't have gone to a Harvard or Yale if there was any chance of them accepting it? Lets take things in perspective and be glad ASU is being recognized in this manner. In some way it might help our area in the future. A little time and talent invested may pay dividends

Black_Falcon 2 years, 8 months ago

Does Albany have a local chapter representing the Tea party? If not, it surely needs one. I have never seen so many people concerned about tax dollars. With ALL the example of tax dollars being wasted, why people choose to focus on the one time when NO tax payers dolars are being used is beyond me. Yes, professors are going and their salaries are funded by tax payers, but who said their job has to be performed strictly at ASU. Can they not perform their duties abroad? When Sonny Purdue took trips to China for "economic development purposes" he was performing his rols as governor, but he was not in the State of Ga. doing it. I understand, however, that racial bias can interfere with logical thinking.

waltspecht 2 years, 8 months ago

Sure do! You would care to note my last comment about returns from the investment. I'm just trying to get people to look at the whole picture. As to political junkets, I have been known to raise holy heck about them in the past, and will continue to do so in the future.

MRKIA 2 years, 8 months ago

BULLSEYE! THERE IS NO EXPECTATION THAT THEIR PRESENCE WILL CONTRIBUTE ANYTHING MEASURABLE TO THIS EVENT OR RETURN TO ASU WITH ANYTHING MEASURABLE.

Jacob 2 years, 8 months ago

Do you also understand that if the only tool that you have is a hammer, then everything looks like a nail? There is a fable about a boy who cried wolf. You may find it enlightening....

coachjohnson42 2 years, 8 months ago

Teach Black_Falcon....Teach!!!!!

MRKIA 2 years, 8 months ago

WHAT HAPPENED TO VIDEO CONFERENCING?

bubbavet 2 years, 8 months ago

I can't help it. What if we sent all of them back? The devil made me say it.

coachjohnson42 2 years, 8 months ago

you are the devil!!! .....(sorry, couldn't resist)

MRKIA 2 years, 8 months ago

WHY DON'T YOU GO DOOR TO DOOR IN THE BLACK NEIGHBORHOODS AND ASK THE RESIDENTS WHAT THEY THINK OF YOUR IDEA. YOU CAN POST THE RESULTS OF YOUR POLL. SHOW EVERYONE YOU ARE SERIOUS.

Sister_Ruby 2 years, 8 months ago

Who the Devil are you talking to?

Black_Falcon 2 years, 8 months ago

What gives you the moral authority to say send anybody back. What if the Native Americans said send the "White Man" back to Europe. After all, the White Man did steal this country from the Native American. Oh, but I guess that's alright.

MRKIA 2 years, 8 months ago

TALK ABOUT REWRITING HISTORY! EVERYONE KNOWS THAT THE WHITE MAN "FOUND" THIS NEW LAND. THE INDIANS LOST IT. FINDERS KEEPERS, LOSERS WEEPERS.

Amazed2 2 years, 8 months ago

If the three ASU professors really want to figure out how good they have it here in the US they should live in the bush or jungle with the native folks they plan to study and interview. My guess though is they will be staying in the most up to date lodging and furnishing that money can buy and riding around in Range Rovers with guides. Regardless where the money comes from I suspect they are spending at least $25000 to $50000 for this do nothing vacation trip. What a waste of money that could be put to better use.

agirl_25 2 years, 8 months ago

Have you figured out what they are going to do on the trip? I am still trying to figure out the purpose of the trip. Is it fact finding or for training?

Sister_Ruby 2 years, 8 months ago

And for the record.....Sister Ruby does not approve of hyphenated last names. People that hyphenate they last names are just trying to "Make A Statement" and that statement is not one I subscribe to. It's God-Less.

VSU 2 years, 8 months ago

100% of African Americans will tell you how great Africa is, but 0% would move to Africa because they know they would not have it as good as they have it here.

MRKIA 2 years, 8 months ago

99.99% OF AFRICAN AMERICANS KNOW NOTHING ABOUT AFRICA BEYOND TARZAN MOVIES AND OLD NATIONAL GEOGRAPHICS.

rorschach 2 years, 8 months ago

ASU is doing what Colleges and Universities all over the world are doing. The only logical comment I can see coming from an article like this should be "good for you ASU".

MRKIA 2 years, 8 months ago

WHEN ALL IS SAID AND DONE DON'T HATE THE PLAYER, HATE THE GAME.

coachjohnson42 2 years, 8 months ago

Dear ASU,

Feel free to use my taxes any dam way you feel. You have always done a great job, so continue to use my taxes, travel the world, educate our kids, and keep up the good work.

Sincerly,

an Albany Tax Payer too..... A.K.A THE COACH!

VSU 2 years, 8 months ago

Here is an idea! Let Coachjohnson pay for the entire trip. Maybe he could write it off on his tax returns.

AlbPieMaster 2 years, 8 months ago

@ THE COACH Sadly it is not just YOUR tax dollars. But on the bright side you can backup your big mouth with a check to ASU anytime. Easy to spend others money a little tougher to spend your own...but Feel free

YDoICare 2 years, 8 months ago

Whatever stance or personal beliefs anyone may have is their own. It wasn’t that long ago that I read many negative comments concerning ASU granting an honorary doctorate to a former student. Many correctly pointed out that honorary doctorates are in fact merely awards which are worth nothing in a tangible manner. In the criticisms, however, nobody mentioned that this individual, Bernice Johnson Reagon had earned a PhD., the rank of Distinguished Professor of History at American University in Washington DC, and had previously received honorary doctorates solely in recognition of her scholarly achievements, not personal connections to the school like ASU, from a number of institutions including the University of Michigan and Princeton University.
In this case with the ASU professors, they are attending a highly respected conference which allows an opportunity to create contacts and obtain resources for the benefit of Southwest Georgia. While the triennial is sponsored by the ADEA, it is not solely focused on Africa or for those of dark skin color or for Americans of African Ancestry. For years, the initial biennials and later triennials took place in Europe before moving to the African continent. One of the events of this year’s meeting is a focus on South Korea’s experience of developing education, training and research to support that country’s vision of development. Groups from the United States, Canada, Europe, and Asia are prominent participants along with numerous countries on the African continent. A number of races and cultures will be represented along with communications taking place in multiple languages.
As per funding, the ADEA has the right to invite the participants it chooses just as you and I have the right to patronage any store we choose or who we invite into our homes. The professional activities of these ASU professors received press coverage because it is a high profile event they will be attending. Professors from other institutions will be making trips to different locations as well, some funded by the school, some funded by the professor, some funded by grants, some funded by tax dollars both directly and indirectly. Agree or disagree, that is the higher education system in this country.

AlbPieMaster 2 years, 8 months ago

Thanks for the additional information. Ashamed a little more of your details were not given as background in the article, might have prevented some of the ranting here.

Black_Falcon 2 years, 8 months ago

The rantings are based on racial ignorance. Nothing more, nothing less.

YDoICare 2 years, 8 months ago

Falcon, with no disrespect intended because I understand your point, but I’ll argue that the ignorance goes beyond race. I might be too optimistic, especially since I chose to leave Albany and teach at another institution where I was allowed to bring in outside resources, but I’ll propose that a possibility of change is as great a factor. I’m Caucasian and worked at Darton, and I had some great experiences working with many older individuals in the area regardless of racial differences. People who had personally shed blood, sweat, and tears just to be recognized as human beings were some of the most welcoming while I encountered resentment from some of my own and younger generations regardless of their race. Both ASU and Darton should focus on cooperation and not competition as a way of bringing the City together as both have attractive offerings. Unlike business, education becomes stronger with cooperation and not competition. Fortunately, ignorance is nothing to be ashamed of and can be corrected. It simply takes a willingness to expose oneself to something different. Stupidity, however, is a totally different problem where I suspect mutual agreement as we have probably both dealt with ignorance versus stupidity

YDoICare 2 years, 8 months ago

The key as someone pointed out earlier, whether from a personal standpoint of the general population or from a professional standpoint for the individual involved, is later being able to display evidence on how the effort and expenditure proves to be beneficial. To use my personal experiences to illustrate, the administrations at more than one of universities where I taught insisted that I attend conferences or conduct research which in reality brought no additional knowledge or resources to either school or community. On the other hand, I have paid 100 percent of the cost for all expenses relating to conferences or research which have in turn allowed me to learn of resources and participate in studies which brought new monies into both the school and community by way of grants, donations, and new businesses coming into the area. Like anything else, the system has both positives and negatives.
Someone mentioned Darton and how differing comments may have been submitted if this story involved professors at that institution. Remember that the majority of Darton faculty members are not researchers and do not hold a PhD. Many have graduate degrees in education and not the discipline in which they teach. Their degree simply contains the 18 credit hours required to teach that subject. Many earned their degrees at ASU or from online or for profit institutions. News of how certain faculty members received leave time for activities such as family trips to Hawaii, New York, and other locations were never published in the Darton press releases. Likewise, how many faculty members were instructed to either cancel classes or conduct “online” sessions because members of the administration required the faculty member’s presence at such crucial events as recruiting potential students at the various high schools. That activity and involvement would be a positive, but not when it removes the faculty member from his or her current students. There is a reason why Darton had such a high turnover in faculty members in the not so distant past who are now teaching at other community colleges.

YDoICare 2 years, 8 months ago

In this particular case involving the ADEA, it would have been fantastic if someone from Darton had been qualified or willing to attend with the ASU professors. Instead, the Flint River simply continues to widen and the schools and people attack each other. Regardless, since most of the comments detract from ASU, everyone can relax and be assured that ASU will continue to exist as an institution. That has nothing to do with race or any HBCU designation. The school has produced several successful graduates who will continue to support the institution, and there will always be a source for enrollment as people will need their graduate degrees to teach on the other side of the river at Darton. Darton will continue to exist as well because it can provide a positive service, but it should not be the focal point of further dividing the City. To discredit ASU is also discrediting Darton at the two have too many connections with faculty and students. It really can't be one or the other. For the benefit of the City, both institutions and the people must embrace both or neither.

coachjohnson42 2 years, 8 months ago

Nope.....we need your taxes too Mr. VSU.......fund our trip!!! your money is greatly appreciated!!! lol

CJ_Fan 2 years, 8 months ago

Another reason to Vote for the O...he will give Coach and company the shirt off YOUR back

agirl_25 2 years, 8 months ago

I am going to ask one more time...please.....what is the main purpose of the trip? Is it for the people here who are going to learn about how to teach better or for these people to try to teach the people there how to teach better? I just am so lost. Who is going to benefit and why? How will they benefit? All I have seen is arguments over tax dollars. I am concerned about the purpose of the trip. WHY ARE THEY GOING?

YDoICare 2 years, 8 months ago

Since I do not personally know any of the ASU professors mentioned, I cannot provide a direct answer to a question posed as to level of participation by the local professors. You may find information about the Triennial program this year at the following link:

YDoICare 2 years, 8 months ago

In reference to the many comments involving race, aside from emotional and personal feelings which are rampant in the area, for someone who has since moved from Albany I would not even consider race as a part of this story even though it seems to dominate the comments. People of different races, languages, and cultures will be attendance at this conference and past work by the organization has not been limited to try and benefit a sole race, country, or culture. As for comments about the historically black monikers, those simply reference the origins and background of the institution. They are not restrictions on who is allowed to attend or work there. Enrollment at some HBCU schools is racially diverse with some even having a Caucasian majority. Contests such as Black Miss America and so on, I know nothing of their rules or requirements, but honestly such contests have no impact on me. I would imagine that the Miss America Pageants on network TV are considered larger awards, and today a contestant in that contest does not have to be of one race. Consider that many arguing against such restricted contests today would attempt to justify the existence of similar restricted groups of the past. For example, the Negro Baseball League to my knowledge had some of the greatest baseball players in the United States. It was not the equivalent to Triple A or Double A baseball today, yet you did not see those major league athletes competing with and against Caucasian athletes. Yes, laws at the time prohibited the integration, but separate is not equal as we all know despite what Plessy decided in 1896 and was later overturned in regard to schools with Brown. In today’s world, we will never have 100 percent acceptance or 100 percent agreement on anything. That’s understandable, because we are all different individuals. What’s more important to either accept or agree upon is that recalling one’s heritage should not be a means for divisiveness but one of an opportunity to introduce someone else to that culture and history. The problem is that today we try to rewrite history based on what we believe today and not consider the history within the context of its own day and times. That fault lies not with one race or group, but is a flaw within us all.

agirl_25 2 years, 8 months ago

Thank you for the link...now I have a better understanding of the reason for the conference. And by the way, in reading your posts you remind me of an English professor (and an excellent one I may add) I had in the very early 80's when I audited an English class at Albany Junior College before it became Darton. You write just the way she spoke. Now you have me wondering...........