Squawk of the Day - Feb. 11, 2012

"I’m 61 and my wife is 59. We’d like to retire, but our insurance has increased 50 percent in the last two years to almost $20,000 per year. How can they justify this type increase and where is our insurance commissioner, who is supposed to safeguard us from price gouging and excessive profits?"

Comments

LuLu 2 years, 2 months ago

No one is safe from the Obama regime. You have his voters to thank for your situation. I know of two people on here who will argue that, but there's no denying it's the cold, hard truth.

Shinedownfan 2 years, 2 months ago

LuLu is right here... Obamacare is to blame for the insurance rates skyrocketing!

VSU 2 years, 2 months ago

Funny thing about Obuma is his followers refuse to hold Obuma responsible for the things that fail, and will give Obuma more credit than he deserves on things he had nothing to do with.

atina3438 2 years, 2 months ago

Well, you could drop all insurance and apply for hand-outs like so many others are doing. But thank God there are still some Americans with pride!! And/or you could vote Obamacare out of office. GOOD LUCK ON THAT ONE!!! Too many receiving handouts. They might have to go to work to pay for their cellphones and cell time, Mercedes SUVs, manicured nails and coifs, illegitimate children and so many other unearned privileges - all while Obama and his cronies are getting richer and richer off taxpayers' money! TALK ABOUT THE RICH GETTING RICHER AND THE POOR GETTING POORER - ON THE WAY, GET READY!

Jimboob 2 years, 2 months ago

If you can't afford to retire then you can't afford to retire... I would like to buy a condo down in Panama City but I can't afford it. Is that Obama's fault? I need a new car. Obama's fault? It's a poor workman that blames his tools. If you had been smarter you could have made more money and got out before the market dropped. But it's not the government's fault that you didn't plan ahead...

Abytaxpayer 2 years, 2 months ago

Wow lets kick the working man!! And what arrogance . But then again you proved your own point cause if YOU had planned ahead you would have that condo in PC and be driving a new car. So just how smart are you??? But FEAR NOT! Even with Your poor planning you can have a NEW Car, Walb just ran two car dealers ads this morning and they both say poor credit, no credit, no problem come get the car you “Deserve”. “Deserve” My big ol butt! But then again with the government programs that take from the worker and give to the taker's voters I can see how some people think they “Deserve” that new car. So before you condemn someone for not being “smarter” show us how smart you are and go get that “Deserved” car you “Need” ...........Plus the Big point you missed was he was going to keep working and NOT rely on the “Government” for support like so many who could be check makers but prefer to be check takers. Guess that is why I claim to be a taxPayer and you claim to be a BOOB we both knew what was fitting for ourselves.

Abytaxpayer 2 years, 2 months ago

Boob...Thanks for proclaiming who you are and explaining what you were doing. Now I understand you and your attitude. Urban Dictionary defines “Hater” A person that simply cannot be happy for another person's success. That explains a lot about you and CJ42 and why you drink the cool-aid. Your one word defines you perfectly. HATERS=Having Anger Towards Everyone Reaching Success

agirl_25 2 years, 2 months ago

Jimboob sort of tells it like it is, huh? I must admit I was shocked tho, to read that their health insurance was so high. The deductible must be zero. I wonder if that means for just the two of them or if they own a small business. Also, I must admit with me being born into a military family, working in Civil Service and then marrying a military man I have been somewhat insulated from the health insurance nightmares a lot have endured. I honestly cannot imagine what it must be like to have to go thru it on a day to day basis. I shall say no more on the subject but let it be known I do share their concerns. As far as the "being smarter and making more money before the market dropped", maybe not everyone has the luxury of doing that. Economic times being what they have been the past few years, maybe even a few dollars were hard to come by, even those using DRIP accounts, so I think it is wrong to fault them there. Just sayin!!

Jimboob 2 years, 2 months ago

I wondered the same thing. I'm over 65 and on medicare so I don't know but I wonder if that's a real number for just two people...

Jimboob 2 years, 2 months ago

Maybe with a pre-existing condition... I know my wife and I don't rack up $20 K in a year and she has some problems. Maybe a high deductable plan and bank the rest?

agirl_25 2 years, 2 months ago

Hmmmm..possibly.......makes me wonder tho.....premiums at nearly $1667 a month for both of them combined? ...outrageous!

waltspecht 2 years, 2 months ago

I just checked what my retirement health costs will be from a large company. I'm 64 and my wife is 61. $1386 / month with $7,000 deductable thru AETNA and partially subsidised by the company. That makes their costs about right for a non-group rate.

agirl_25 2 years, 2 months ago

OUTRAGEOUS!!!!!! just the same. But am I to understand they are working now and WANT to retire but don't say they WANT to retire NOW, since they are not eligible for Medicare? And you, walt, is this your projected cost for when you are 65 and on Medicare or will you wait until your wife is too eligible for Medicare and then retire and get a lower costing supplemental? I truly must apologize for my ignorance of the health insurance maze people go thru and am just finding out what a horror it is by helping a friend who will turn 65 in April and is trying to decide what to do about Medicare and supplemental insurance. I try to help but am at a loss so whatever I can learn from real people is very helpful.

VSU 2 years, 2 months ago

I try to work hard and save my money and get bills paid, but then the gas prices keep going back up. It's up to $3.53 today. Too bad China is getting that oil from Canada instead of the U.S. Whereas we will still be getting our oil from Obuma's muslim friends in the middle east.

Shinedownfan 2 years, 2 months ago

And Hugo Chavez and prolly Brazil soon, since he is allowing them to drill in the Gulf and not us.

Jimboob 2 years, 2 months ago

OK, Now do we see that there is a problem with the health care/costs in this country? Maybe the plan that is called Obamacare by some isn't the entire answer. Maybe it is a good place to start because there are some good things in there. But if a person is paying $20K a year for health insurance then we do have a problem.

LuLu 2 years, 2 months ago

The smartest place to start would be tort reform, but "smart" isn't on the regime's agenda.

agirl_25 2 years, 2 months ago

Well again, I know nothing about the Obamacare health plan. I must plead ignorance again. I go to the doctor, or hospital, my husband signs some papers and we leave. A few weeks later we receive some EOB's in our e-mail and that is the end of it. I had a stack of EOB's 16" high until we went paperless. And yes, Jimboob, there is a terrible problem in this country, when someone has to pay such outrageous premiums for health care insurance. I wonder if the insurers should start rewarding the people with health care insurance the way they do with car insurance....you have seen the ads I am sure......your deductible gets lowered each year you are accident free or premiums are lowered. How about it insurance companies...how about lower premiums for staying healthy and not using the health insurance. Or do they do that?