On the Job with Joshua Murfree Jr.

Joshua Murfree Jr. is superintendent of the Dougherty County School System.

Joshua Murfree Jr. is superintendent of the Dougherty County School System.

“On the Job With ...” is a weekly feature of Sunday Inc. Today’s session is with Dr. Joshua Murfree Jr., superintendent of the public school system in Dougherty County. He shared his answers with Terry Lewis.

Q: If you were fresh out of school, what would you first do in searching for a job?

A: Actually, I would have begun my search for a job or either further my education prior to completing my degree. I would have searched the website for geographical locations where I would consider residing. Check the search engines for specific job titles, applied for at least five positions and have my resume, references available upon request, transcripts and letters of interest ready to be mailed or transmitted to potential employers.

Q: What was your first job?

A: I worked as a counselor for a Halfway House in Savannah. My clients had diagnostic impressions of dementia praecox and schizophrenia.

Q: What was the first thing you bought with your first paycheck?

A: I actually gave my first paycheck to mother as a thank you.

Q: Who was your role model or mentor in your current job?

A: My mentors are Anthony, Thomas, Melvin and Cornelius. I can trust them and they believe in me.

Q: How has the recession affected education?

A: It has caused the removal of teachers from the classroom, the cutback of planning days as well as an increase in morale problems.

Q: If you could turn back the clock on one aspect of technology (email, Internet, cell phones, etc.) what would it be?

A: Neither.

Q: I am up and going by ...?

A: 5:30 a.m.

Q: Favorite hobby or activity outside of work?

A: To travel, read and meet people.

Q: If you could take back one decision in your career, what would it be?

A: There are not any regrets.

Q: What’s the best thing about your job?

A: The opportunity to lead, share, teach and serve as a positive role model and mentor for others. I was highlighted in Ebony for mentoring around the country and globally as well as establishing mentoring programs.

Q: What’s the worst thing about your job?

A: Not being able to impact all facets of education and make improvements fast enough for students.

Q: What was the most beneficial course you took in school?

A: Research Design and Analysis and Statistics.

Q: What would be your dream job?

A: I am in it. I love what I am doing!

Q: Finish this: “On the first anniversary of my retirement” I see myself ...

A: Traveling, speaking and building mentoring programs throughout the country for different forms of non-profit organizations.

Q: What is the one trait an educational leader cannot be without?

A: Integrity.

Q: What do you see as Albany’s biggest education challenge?

A: Agendas that do not have anything to do with assisting children.

Q: What are the biggest changes you’ve seen in education over the past several years?

A: The political force that drives testing, class size and choice in education.

Q: What was the best vacation you ever took?

A: The trips to London and Paris. The jazz festivals in San Jose were great as well.

Q: Any parting words of wisdom?

A: If you can control a situation to make a change, do it. If you cannot control a situation, do not worry about it, and never sell your soul to the devil no matter what.

Comments

Cartman 2 years, 2 months ago

Q: Did you get the certificate required for your position?

Jack_Frost 2 years, 2 months ago

Q: If this is your dream job, why didn't you go into educating kids to begin with, rather than take a route that gave you no pertinent experience to appear even remotely qualified for?

bubbavet 2 years, 2 months ago

HERALD YOU OWE ME A FREE PAPER. I THREW UP AFTER READING THIS IDIOTS OTJ. HOW MANY WEEKS DID IT TAKE HIM TO GET SOMEONE TO ANSWER THE QUESTIONS FOR HIM. SURELY THIS WASN'T A ONE ON ONE INTERVIEW.

agirl_25 2 years, 2 months ago

Q. Who are Anthony, Thomas, Melvin and Cornelius? Am I supposed to know? This is not a trick question. I hate to be Mrs. Smartypants, but the writer sure did ask poor questions. Kind of like a Larry King interview. Old Larry used to ask the dumbest questions I ever heard. He didn't want to offend the guest by asking real questions like: I find it interesting that you mentored globally. Q.Where have you mentored globally? Also, what is your degree in that you have worked with clients who had diagnostic impressions of dementia praecox (should that be praecox dementia) and schizophrenia? I don't think I ever read where any reference was made to the type degree you had or where it was obtained.

dingleberry 2 years, 2 months ago

Question: Who wrote your answers to these questions and did they make erasures during the process?

Sister_Ruby 2 years, 2 months ago

The OTJ series had been pretty interesting and thought provoking.......up until today. The most simplistic and unrevealing one to date. Next time why not do OTJ with one of those DCSS cheater principals or teachers that were allowed to retire. That would be interesting at this point. Q: Favorite Activity? A: Laughing all the way to the bank.

In the end, Cartman's question is the one that counts. Apparently they still haven't found an educational entity that will simply mail him one for a fee.

VSU 2 years, 2 months ago

In short, what a waste of newspaper space.

Jacob 2 years, 2 months ago

I think his real job title should be Economic Development Specialist for Lee County, Georgia. He has done more for business and residential growth there than the Lee County Chamber of Commerce. LOL- I don't know how he kept a straight face when he said that integrity is important for his job.

dingleberry 2 years, 2 months ago

Important but not required.. Kind of like good judgement.

justme 2 years, 2 months ago

Oh by the way, Mr. Murfree please do something about that hair and nasty neckwear.

chinaberry25 2 years, 2 months ago

I asked that earlier and no one seems to know. The answer is probably NO.

Justice4Moma 2 years, 2 months ago

Please keep this up.This is the best laugh i have had in a very long time.Not all the Questions you all are asking,but just trying to picture him trying to answer them.I cant even type i am lmao.Herald?was this to give us all a break from the comic skripts?

waltspecht 2 years, 2 months ago

The real problem might be that this is how this individual actully perceives himself to be. Maybe those friends need to hold a reality intervention with him.

agirl_25 2 years, 2 months ago

You have to give him credit tho, because unless he lives in a bubble he knows how people perceive him and he knew by agreeing to the interview he was setting himself up for ridicule. He must have a pretty big set knowing this, yet he was still willing to play the game. Maybe he uses the old Pee Wee Herman philisophy ......neener neener...I'm rubber and you are glue....whatever you say bounces off me and sticks to you.......

coachjohnson42 2 years, 2 months ago

So, Terry Lewis strikes again.....I wonder if Terry had his Alabama Crimson Tide Hat turned backwards while doing this interview

TrixibelleBento 2 years, 2 months ago

Um, when you pick your mentors, they usually have last names. It sounded like he was naming the Four Stooges. Tell us who they are.

No elaborating in this interview whatsoever. He has no regrets?! He'd be the type of person to answer "I have none" when asked to reveal his weaknesses.

He gave stacatto answers that did not tell us anything that we didn't already know, which is, he shouldn't be the Superintendent. There's nothing super about him.

JW806 2 years, 1 month ago

Mr. Mufree, Keep doing what your doing because you will never satify everyone no matter what you say or do. I read all the post's and its a shame that after all these years there are some people still stuck on stupid. I think you and Mr. Dick Gregory should get together and have something at the Civic Center. God Bless