Byne to host 5k, mile ‘Son Run’

ALBANY, Ga. — Byne Christian School will host The Son Run beginning at 8:30 a.m. Saturday.

The 5k event will begin and end at Byne School with participants running through the Palmyra Subdivision. Also, a one-mile fun run is scheduled at 9 a.m. Saturday.

Registration is $25 for the one-mile event and $30 for the 5K. Those who pre-registered will be guaranteed a T-shirt on race day. All others will receive T-shirt as long as supplies last.

Awards will be given to the overall top finishers as well as three deep in various age categories.

Comments

Jacob 2 years, 6 months ago

When will Byne "Christian" School begin to offer educational serivices to children with special needs? Even minor problems?

Abytaxpayer 2 years, 6 months ago

First I am NOT against special needs education. You did not say how minor, I know for a fact there are several kids in Byne that were labeled “children with special needs” by DCSS. But I have to ask Why should Byne School offer educational services to special needs. Byne is a private school supported solely by admission fees and private donations, NO and I repeat NO government funds. Granted it would be great for the kids IF Byne could afford the special education services. But you should be realistic it is a cost they can not afford especially in light of the fact there are educational service available in public schools. Instead of your complaining, I challenge you to find the funding and qualified teachers for special education and I am sure Byne would welcome you with open arms.

BTW to everyone reading this, private schools accept donations from student and teacher supplies to money donations.

Jacob 2 years, 6 months ago

Federal money is available and easy to get for Byne. They have declined students who had minor issues and declined federal funding. Money is not the issue. As to your question of WHY should Byne offer educational service to special need students, let me point out the second word of their title- Christian. It used to mean something in the past. Seems like like the administrators there could use a little time studying the good book and what it means to be a Christian, instead of hawking tee shirts and begging for the public to support a school that according to you, is suported solely by admission fees and private donations. Maybe some of those private donators have figured out what is really going on at Byne...

Abytaxpayer 2 years, 6 months ago

Ok it sounds like you want to ---- on my leg because someone told you no and you are not getting your way.

At this hour of night I do not know for sure (BUT I will find out in morning) so I am guessing if in fact Federal money is available to a “Private” school like Byne it comes with so many strings the school is no longer independent but becomes a puppet to the Federal regulations. I am sure Byne declines other students because of standards much higher than Public schools and strives to choose the students they feel they can do the most for with the limited resources they have.

Sorry but I fail to see how proclaiming to be “Christian” equates to a requirement to make “Special Considerations” for special needs children. Sure they should be compassionate and help when and where they can but I am lost as to a “Special Requirement” for special needs just because they say they are “Christian” .

Just so you know I have supported parents of special needs children in their fights for better services in public schools in Albany and Leesburg and I current financialy support a child in Byne that was warehoused in DCSS because they claimed the child was “Special Needs” so I am not just running my mouth, I am walking the extra mile and proud to be “Christian” along with many other supporters of Byne School that do not have children in Byne School so i am no one special as a supporter of Byne School.

Again since you feel so strongly that Byne should make accommodations for you, I challenge you to find the funding (APPROPRIATE for a Private School) and qualified teachers for special education instead of acting in a unchristian way and hurling stones at people who don’t do as you want.

mr_nobody 2 years, 6 months ago

Have you asked them that? Do you have a child that has been turned down? What kind of "minor" problems are you referring to? Seems like I remember reading similar comments from you, though I may be mistaken.

Knowing how small of an operation BCS is, I can understand why they may not be able to take on kids with special needs. I would assume that it would cost considerably more to educate kids with SNs than it would other kids, dude to the specialized equipment and personnel needed, possibly more than BCS can afford.

Would you be willing to pay considerably more for a child with SNs to go there, considering what all is involved?

Sister_Ruby 2 years, 6 months ago

Maybe when the proceeds from their next feature film start rolling in there will be funds for such a ministry.

waltspecht 2 years, 6 months ago

I thought Sherwood was the film Church.

rock 2 years, 6 months ago

They are, Ruby is way off base again.