Squawk of the day - Feb. 17, 2012

"Monroe is out of control. This new administration over here is weak, and the students do what they want to do. Students come to school after 10 a.m., and nobody does anything about it. Students leave campus all day long, and nobody stops them. When they do come to school, all they do is eat, sleep and text."

Comments

waltspecht 2 years, 2 months ago

Time to document it in photos and video and then demand removal of the entire Administration. If this is true, they certainly aren't doing their job. Not even as the Jailers they claim they have been forced to become.

whodat 2 years, 1 month ago

are you asking employees of the system to do this? because they will be fired!

LuLu 2 years, 2 months ago

Squawker, you need to document more, as walt suggested. Then expand your squawk into a detailed letter to the editor to all three local papers, and send a copy to 34 and all members of the school board. Please don't let this get forgotten or swept under the rug!

Shinedownfan 2 years, 2 months ago

Apparently this squawker works there, but he/she sticks to the squawkbox because it is anonymous.

PatrickY2K 2 years, 2 months ago

A student who arrives at 10:00, only to sleep or text in class, doesn't care if he or she attends regular classes, In-School Suspension, or is suspended home (which lowers the FTE count, earning less funding for the school). The parent doesn't care about education, which is the reason it isn't important to the student, so calling the parent or expecting the parent to attend a conference is time wasted. When this student fails the Graduation Test causing the school to not earn AYP, the public blasts the teachers for failing to do their jobs.

But go ahead and complain to anyone who will listen about the adminstrators (whose hands are tied) who aren't doing their jobs to your satisfaction. I'm sure their replacements will be much more successful.

waltspecht 2 years, 2 months ago

If this sort of thing isn't what an Administrator is paid to do, then just what are they paid to do?

PatrickY2K 2 years, 2 months ago

I didn't list duties that administrators aren't paid to do - I said it's a no-win situation. Sending a student home just makes it more likely that the student will end up in jail (the teacher's fault, right?).

"If you don't behave, we're not going to allow you to attend school for a while." That will show them!

whodat 2 years, 1 month ago

whatever the Superintendent tells them to do!

VSU 2 years, 2 months ago

Why should they care? They will be on welfare & food stamps anyway. The Guvment gonna takes care of thems.

atina3438 2 years, 2 months ago

Would calling these folks dregs to society be profiling? lol Hey, if you live in Albany you can expect this sort of thing! Leave now if you can.

chinaberry25 2 years, 2 months ago

I am afraid that some of this goes on at all of the high schools. Monroe was on the news last year about the lateness for finals and the parents put up a squawk and they caved in. Mr. Simmons needs to be brought back to straighten out the school. It was a well run school when he was there. I saw him come up the gym stairs and take a girl out of class and to the office himself because she did not stand for the pledge to the flag. Another person from DHS said he graduated from Colquitt Co. School and he could not believe what is going on at DHS. The students run the schools. They need to be sent home for 10 days minimum. More if it keeps up. The parents already know that they misbehave. If it still keeps up lock down the snack machines. Do it permanently and they will get the message. IF more means are needed, block all cell phones during the day with a jammer. There are landlines for teachers to use. AMERICA NEEDS TO TAKE BACK HER SCHOOLS.

Shinedownfan 2 years, 2 months ago

My daughter dated a guy who went to Westover, and he went to school late and got out around noon almost every day, and he passed that year, I don't know how, but he did, he was a junior at the time too.

tywebb 2 years, 2 months ago

it doesn't just happen at monroe! The inmates are running ALL of the institutions in this town

PatrickY2K 2 years, 2 months ago

Albany isn't an island. There are many high schools in Georgia that perform worse, and are less safe than the DCSS high schools. I fully expect the DCSS bashing to continue, just please don't think that we're unique.

tywebb 2 years, 2 months ago

only speaking about what I KNOW! that was not opinion. i'm sure dcss is not THE worst system in the state, but it's not far from the bottom either.

TheMember 2 years, 2 months ago

Future Albany State attendees in the making!!!!

waltspecht 2 years, 2 months ago

Bottom line, people are being paid to provide a good education to the students in a safe enviornment. That just isn't being accomplished by those in charge, whether it be a Teacher, Administrator, School Police or Superintendant. It's time the actual problem is looked at and addressed. Yes there may be a totally useless generational class out there, but there is no reason to continue the practice and keep producing an unacceptable product for the job market. Failure following more failure will not save America from the pit it is sinking into.

PatrickY2K 2 years, 2 months ago

A good education is being made available to all students in the DCSS. Until someone figures out how to "force feed" the unwilling, this will continue to be a problem. An unhealthy community cannot send its children to school, hoping it will fix all of the problems.

tywebb 2 years, 2 months ago

you're right, an education is available to all students. BUT, due to the "unwilling", they can't get the good education because the teachers are too busy with classroom management, instead of instruction. And the administrators just turn a blind eye on alot of the problems, so, the kids do as they please. obviously, this is a generalization and doesn't represent every class in every school, but it does speak for the majority of classes.

coachjohnson42 2 years, 2 months ago

Actually, this is a statewide problem but the DCSS is under fire right now, so all eyes are on them.

Cartman 2 years, 2 months ago

Lazy disciplinarians exacerbate the problem. Students need to be made to obey rules. Letting them slide because it is too much of a hassle - only invites more hassle. Adults need to do their jobs. Both educators and parents included.

romainer 2 years, 2 months ago

When I started school in Albany way back in 1969, the administrators and teachers at my school cared, they lived in the community/neighborhood where they worked. I remember the principal, Mr. Rollins at Lincoln Heights Elementary School going to my house and telling my mother what I had done that day. It was always being late to school by a few minutes. We would go to my cousins house because her mother worked at M&M Mars and would always give us candy. This practice was shut down after he had a talk with my mother and she had a talk with me. My mother always told us that "home training begins at home" and educators can not and should not be expected to raise our kids. Put the blame where it belongs, the rules of how to behave in a polite society begins at home or it should. Oh I forgot, we no longer live in a polite society.

albanyherald1 2 years, 1 month ago

I agree. Sending these students home is like a vacation to them, not punishment. For one thing, because they likely will not be disciplined by their parent. However, the administration shouldn't just give up and stop trying, because maybe it WILL affect at least one or two children, who's parents were not aware of this behavior and who WILL discipline them at home. Maybe alternative punishment should be used. Take up the cell phones and don't return them, make them write 1000 sentences, have them pick up trash on campus, clean gum from under tables and desks, or come up with some type of in-school boot-camp, instead of sending them home.

whodat 2 years, 1 month ago

well, I'm a teacher and sending these kids home is a vacation for me! LOL. But seriously, you want to know why more kids don't get suspended home and for longer? Because the superintendents have sent the word down the chain of command that the more kids who show up for FTE, the more money for the school system. So, if I'm an administrator and I have to choose between sending the kid home because he cussed the teacher, disrupted class with a fight, etc. OR get the $$$$ for the school, I will choose the money every time! See? It's your tax dollars at work!

tywebb 2 years, 1 month ago

how do you get to spend so much time on this website if you're a teacher? school computers are supposed to be for school use, not personal use. are you one of the cheaters who get to sit over at an old school building, waiting for your day in court? or are you just one of the many fine teachers who don't teach?

whodat 2 years, 1 month ago

first off, today is a furlough day (no school). second, hate to disappoint you, but I wasn't one of the cheaters. and third, I teach (I think). Anyway, I like to think I teach. hard to say if anybody's learning, however, with all the talking, texting, and sleeping----that is, if they show up in the first place.

albanyherald1 2 years, 1 month ago

Whodat, I understand what you mean by vacation for you. LOL. I know I wouldn't want to be a teacher in this day and age so I do not envy what you have to put up with these days. Thanks for the insight on this issue. It really does show corruption at the superintendant level and on down. When we finally start putting the children first, ahead of money and selfishness, thats when you will start to see a change in Albany. Until then, our community will keep dumbing itself down, out of existence.