Edwards waiting on CRCT case files

ALBANY — The fate of 44 Dougherty County School System teachers and administrators caught in the recently completed CRCT cheating probe hangs in the balance as Dougherty District Attorney Greg Edwards and DCSS attorney Tommy Coleman await evidence files from investigators.

The case files are crucial as the system pursues possible discipline against the accused educators.

Former Georgia Attorney General Mike Bowers, former DeKalb District Attorney Robert Wilson, Richard Hyde and the Georgia Bureau of Investigation conducted the four-monthlong investigation into CRCT cheating within the DCSS.

“The Dougherty County district attorney has requested evidence files from us, and we have them together,” said Jim Hollis, an attorney at Bowers’ Atlanta law firm Blasch and Bingham. “We are currently waiting on other files from Bob Wilson to put the package together. We can have the files in Albany in a matter of days as soon as we get them.”

The investigators’ report named 49 DCSS teachers and administrators, accusing the group of behavior ranging from “directed and participated in cheating,” “no evidence of cheating but ultimately responsible” to “prompted students.”

In early January, the Dougherty County School Board took action against 18 educators who had confessed to wrongdoing, firing two teachers and accepting the resignations of two principals. Three other principals were reassigned, as were 13 teachers.

That leaves 31 teachers and administrators remaining in their positions. Timing is critical moving forward, as teachers’ annual contracts are up for renewal on May 15.

“There is a good chance that none of the people named in the governor’s report will have their contracts renewed,” Coleman said.

If the Atlanta CRCT cheating scandal is to be used as an indicator, settling the local cases will not be a quick process. In Atlanta, more that 180 educators were implicated in July, but months later Fulton County District Attorney Paul Howard halted hearings in late October while his office reviewed case files for possible prosecution.

The Professional Standards Commission just resumed the hearings last week.

The DCSS hopes Edwards’ office moves swiftly to determine which individuals could be prosecuted and which cases are better suited to administrative action.

“I have assigned an assistant prosecutor to review the case files when they come in,” Edwards said. “We will evaluate each individual and decide which ones, if any, we’ll prosecute and which ones should have administrative review.”

Edwards added that he is considering moving obvious administrative cases to the school system quickly to help speed the process.

Once Edwards gives the case files to Coleman, the teacher or administrator would go before an independent administrative tribunal, which will deliver an opinion to the school board.

The board then has a range of options from doing nothing to termination. The PSC might also get involved in the process and has the option to pull teachers’ certification.

Comments

Justice4Moma 2 years, 8 months ago

I was just wondering,(Hey i am trying to learn the laws here) Why can Greg not have a conflict of intrest on this case,and have one with the School Lunch thing? Oh i forgot special treatment for diffrent people.Right?

waltspecht 2 years, 8 months ago

Can't help but wonder what is taking so long? Are the files being spruced up? (That referrs to the deletion or removal of certain statements) Otherwise, what is wrong with the raw data?

coachjohnson42 2 years, 8 months ago

Why are you guys so blood-thirsty over this situation? These people will be punished and they have already had their reputations tarnished by this newspaper and local media. Yes, they made some poor choices, but have you ever thought about yourself? You are acting like vultures flying over a dead dog. You are sick.

Sally_O 2 years, 8 months ago

Do you trully believe they will be punished? Frankly, I don't think nothing will happen to them.

Shinedownfan 2 years, 8 months ago

their contract will not be renewed... and that's it... they will have to find a job elsewhere...

LuLu 2 years, 8 months ago

WHY? Because we trusted these people with our children. Our children need REAL teachers in place NOW.

Sister_Ruby 2 years, 8 months ago

coach has no real appreciation for how serious a breach of trust this is. Nor does he get the math and the degree of certainty of the guilt of so many. And oh by the way, the fact that they were getting paid (some very highly) for a job that they were NOT doing makes it STEALING to boot. "Bad choices" he calls it.

Abytaxpayer 2 years, 8 months ago

My question is WHY does CJ42 identify so closely with the “POOR CHOICES” people.

Birds of a feather?

Abytaxpayer 2 years, 8 months ago

CJ42 Why you ask? I have to ask why you are not pushing to remove the very people who are such an embarrassment to the majority of quality teachers. You admit they made “POOR” choices yet you want to force the rest of the teachers who maintained their dignity and self-respect and did not cheat the children to suffer the under the cloud of misconduct. The children are the ones that are paying the price for the “Help” these unscrupulous teachers and administrates perpetrated in the name of the unprepared students. These “Adults” took the easy way out. Now you ask if we have ever thought about our own self. I submit that is exactly what the “Adults” were, and are doing now, they are ONLY thinking of themselves and care NOTHING for the students or their fellow teachers. DCSS has many Quality teachers and administrates but they cannot shine and we cannot see them for all the attention that is being focused on these few self-centered, shortcut taking, thieves of children’s futures. You say these people will be punished “one day" and we should stand ideally by and wait. Your way of thinking is so shortsighted, while you rush to protect the criminals you are continuing to punish the good teachers who must continue to do quality work while under the cloud of misconduct by others. I say cut the cancer out and let’s begin rebuilding DCSS. Put the children FIRST and STOP supporting the very people who took shortcuts to shortchange and STEAL the futures of the Children. The quality of the children’s Futures DEPENDS on the quality of their Education. People who support poor quality in DCSS expect nothing more of the students they turnout instead of Educate.

People like you who are content to sit on their A and refuse to stand against cheaters whether of the children’s futures, or school lunch money are the reason the cheaters feel so empowered to see how much they can get away with. Your lack of a voice in outrage is a voice of support for their actions.

Complacency : self-satisfaction especially when accompanied by unawareness of actual dangers or deficiencies

You are the “SICK” one for accepting the sacrificing of children’s futures while cuddling the very “Adults” who cheated them.

CJ_Fan 2 years, 8 months ago

"Sick" no way. But like the old saying "No matter how hard you try, you just can't fix stupid. While on the other hand ignorance can be corrected with Education.”

coachjohnson42 2 years, 8 months ago

You sounds as if I support them...are you crazy? I don't support cheaters or anyone who breaks the law......But I also am against selective scrutiny, selective hatred, and in some cases...racial profiling.....See, you will not be happy even if all of them get fired....You really don't care about those children...If you did, you would be running to the schools asking to tutor those children affected. Are you??? I didn't think so. You want blood....Are you jealous of their salaries? Did the DCSS deny you a chance to teach? Dont say wasted tax money again, because we all can say that. you aren't the only person paying taxes around here.....admit it.....you just hate for the sake of hating....what did they do to you?

Amazed2 2 years, 8 months ago

This comment is related tot he Free Lunch issue!!! Just read a WALB article that says GLoria Baker and her attorney have filed an appeal related to the supension of her salary for the 15 day suspension due to filing false salary information. Guess I am amazed that someone making at least $90,000 per year besides what her husbands construction company brings in??? and they live in an exclusive area of NW Albany on a multi-acre gated estate that includes in-ground pool, horses, horse stables and high priced diesel truck, etc.etc. etc. could have the gaul to see to get her suspended salary back. So far she is so so lucky that she was only given 15 days off work and did not loose her $90,000+ position as DCSS Principal. Guess this is a prime example of Intitlement!!! I wonder if the children were on the lunch program because they spend too much on feed and hay for all the horses on the property.

CJ_Fan 2 years, 8 months ago

People who do not speak out against Baker are supporting her idea she is entitled and above reproach. Silence speaks volumes of support for a wrong doing.

dmyers80 2 years, 8 months ago

I was shocked to find out that, according to the investigators reports, SHERWOOD ELEMENTARY had the second highest number or cheating hits in the CRCT probe of dcss.... Anyone else wonder why when ever CRCT cheating is mentioned they can only manage to show Jackson Heights and Morningside Elementary??

chinaberry25 2 years, 8 months ago

The editor of the Donalsonville Newspaper wrote an ariticle in the Atlanta Constitution about the cheating in Albany. Some of the scantrons had 85% of the questions erased. That is only 15 out of 100 questions correct. This is not acceptable and Coach, you think that this should be overlooked and they have learned their lessons. Thank GOD my child went to Lee County. When a school system has lost touch with reality and education vs cheating, education wins every time. And Coach you are part of the problem with Dougherty County. You think less that average is acceptable. Then I hope you have good retirement saved and never have to depend on your child to take care of you in your old age.

coachjohnson42 2 years, 8 months ago

You cant depend on any school system to totally teach your children anyway. If you taught your children right from wrong, you would not have to worry about them cheating or looking for anyone to cheat for them. Its the responsibility of parents to take a strong part in their children's education. You cant rely on any school system to do it all. Lee County is not the answer either. They have just as many problems as DCSS. But their problems are swept under the rug as usual. Terry Lewis (editor) never went over there to investigate. I never said I supported those cheaters. I am just against you sick people who just want them fired out of pure hatred. You could care less about those kids affected either. You don't know any of those teachers personally and you really dont know their story. Some of those teachers may have had a great a great career up until that fatal moment they decided to cheat. So, now you condemn them for life. How would you like to be judged for one mistake? Teachers have to be perfect for 30 years. In an out of the classroom. That is very hard. You just assume because the herald wrote some crap about them, its true and you believe it. DONT BE SUCH A FOOL!

Abytaxpayer 2 years, 8 months ago

Well THERE IT IS your old tired BS Race card. You say this is “Selective” and I agree it is only a select FEW who cheated or condoned it and looked the other way. You have such a selective memory of mangled facts to fit your condemnations of people who do not think as you. 1. You continually bring up race ie. Selective hatred, racial profiling and other code words you love. 2. You claim NOT to support the cheaters while condemning those of us who openly call for their removal from the classrooms. 3. You claim I will not be happy even if they are fired. Again a baseless claim made by you with No PROOF not even an innuendo made by me. 4. You claim I don’t care about the Children. Yet I constantly say this is a crime against the Children and ask for more support for the Children’s future. 5. I do work with tutoring the children and that is what outrages me I see the problems in DCSS first hand. 6. Jealous of their salaries. There is NO way I would work for DCSS and put up with what Teachers are forced to face daily for their salary. 7. I have never said “wasted tax money” yet you continue to bash me for it. 8. Based on your pathetic continued use of the “Race” card we see who the Hater is and just how twisted you see the world around you. 9. You claim the Herald wrote “Crap” about the cheating and you constantly bash Terry Lewis for exposing “Facts” you do not like. 10. I do personally know Teachers in DCSS and they are ashamed of what this sandal, that was caused by a few, has done to the public perception of their own abilities to teach.

Your pathetic constant accusations of anyone who does not think as twisted as you do must be a RACE Hater is proof of how you want and believe the world around you to be. You are Funny when we look at you with the Big Red nose and BIG Yellow shoes. But when you open your mouth with venomous race hatred you prove how sad and miserable a human you are. Not once have I ever raised an issue of the race of the cheaters yet you have to each time you speak in support of not holding them accountable. People like you who see Race first will never allow Albany to move forward and that goes for both sides.

I can tell you only half read my commits above but PLEASE read the following quote from Ward VI Albany City Commissioner Tommie Postell when speaking to some of Albany’s young people.

"You are the future of this great nation. The only barrier you have is yourself. If you encounter problems you can't solve, it's because YOU are the problem. Education is the key" .

You CJ42 are NOT the Future and only seek to strangle the Future by holding so vehemently to the past. You are the BIGGEST barrier to yourself. The children are the Future and ONLY with an Education will they have a Future.

So open your mouth and spew out your Blather for the world to see Who is the “FOOL”. I leave you to your own demise, The Floor is Yours.

coachjohnson42 2 years, 8 months ago

Very good abytaxpayer....you did a much better job this time of sticking to the facts and not running away. I am proud of you. You get a gold star this time. They say a "hit dog will hollar" and you really did "hollar" this time. Your blathering comes from your own guilt of being so blood thirsty for the demise of those teachers. So, you flood your response with useless rhetoric and personal testimonies. See, I struck a nerve with you because I hit home with my last post. Deep down, you really don't care about those teachers or those kids do you? I just 'sounds good' to say you do right??? It just sounds good to attack the 'mean old cheating teachers' right??? You wanna 'fit in' right? You are hoping one of your Tea Party Partners will give you a "amen" every now and then.....right??? Well, its easy to tell who is a 'phony' and who is not. If you were truly not a hater, you wouldn't have to tell people you are not a hater. You are trying to prove your self-worth and it is not working. But again, I appreciate you sticking to the topic this time and your last post was much better....The floor is now yours Mr. Taxman....I yield the rest of my time so you may bore us with your testimony and useless rhetoric..........

CJ_Fan 2 years, 8 months ago

Coach is the epitome of the # 1 problem in Albany. He hates on others simply for their race. He race baits at every opportunity introducing race into postings just to stir the pot. He makes racist claims against others based solely on his desire to make an issue racial. He makes unfounded personal attaches and when they defend against his false claims he accuses them of useless rhetoric and personal testimonies and continues his false personal attacks in the same breath. Coach is driven so much by his hatred he constantly post rude commits on almost any story about Deerfield. Coach constantly preaches against the Public’s vigilance with claims the wrong doers wile face their maker one day and that should be good enough. Coach uses diversion from a subject by trying to point out other wrongs he claims no one is seeing and or wants to report on. Coach knows if he can cloud an issue and misdirect the public’s attention they might lose interest and the problems can just get swept under the rug. Coach constantly condemns Terry Lewis for staying on a story and for not allowing a story to fade Terry is branded racist by Coach. Coach’s biggest fear is if racial tensions are not keep stoked that those tensions will diminish. Unlike Aby, Coach seldom has positive words to build harmony in Albany. Aby has proved he will not run from Coach’s racist assaults and reduces him constantly to a babbling racist OLD FOOL. As Postell said the Youth are the future of this great nation. So take your best racist shots at me just remember I am the future and you are a relic of the past. The Kid.

Abytaxpayer 2 years, 8 months ago

Hey OLD Man I take a couple days off and you still can't catch a break...ROFLMAO and what the "Kid" said. Now who is not Refuting Facts? Hard for You to refute FACTS that You have proven to be true more than once.

waltspecht 2 years, 8 months ago

The ones mentioned are those there is enough evidance against that they could be charged. That in no way inferrs they are the only ones involved. There are probably more still out there that are breathing a sigh of relief. I hate no individual, nor race. I simply disapprove of the way things are run. If you remember way back, I wondered what favors would be called in to stop this inquiry. Sure enough, the Govenor made an attempt to stop it, only to have his hand forced and allow it to go on. Thats how things work around here. If the Public is not ever vigilant, things just get swept under the rug. Time will heal all wounds and out of sight out of mind. I am glad the Herald stays on top of this issue. Ever wonder why feet are being drug in the release of information pertaining to this? I am of a suspecious nature when it comes to anything involving Southwestern Georgia Politics. Sorry, I've only been here 33 years, but I've seen enough to remain ever vigilant.

coachjohnson42 2 years, 8 months ago

Actually Walt, I can appreciate what you are saying to an extent. But coming from a person who has been a part of this area much longer than you have , I have seen injustice and in some cases a 'rush' to justice here in Albany. Those who were wrong will have to face their maker one day so I dont worry to much about things I cant control. I dont totally fault the herald because it is their job to report the news. However, some articles have a special spin on them to make the accused look more guilty than they really are. They sometimes try to 'sensationalize' the stories to sell papers. See, in today's society, many people are judged in a courtroom of 'public opinion' quicker than an actual courthouse.This practice my friend, needs to stop!

Sister_Ruby 2 years, 8 months ago

the random verbal ejaculations of a fool........................

CJ_Fan 2 years, 8 months ago

Bazinga and that left a mark! Caution Sister that could be called Elderly abuse

coachjohnson42 2 years, 8 months ago

Everybody knows CJ_Fan stands for "coach johnson fan"..........I appreciate you following me CJ.

coachjohnson42 2 years, 8 months ago

everybody knows you are a fool Sister Ruby Tuesday.....

dmyers80 2 years, 8 months ago

I have to say that I agree with coach about the selective scrutiny... Again... Sherwood Elementary had the second highest amount of cheaters and it was never mentioned on the news or in the papers that they were even part of the investigation. Not even the herald said it directly.... They just showed the findings of the investigation.

Sister_Ruby 2 years, 8 months ago

Do you think there is a racial disparity at Sherwood Elementary....for example maybe 18% Caucasian versus 14% Caucasian at Northside? Wow that's a HUGE difference which would certainly sway all Racist newsreporters!