Ex-Westover star OL Brown receives offer from UGA

Former Westover star Trenton Brown had a great true freshman season at Georgia Military College, where he started every game and didn’t allow a sack all year. Major colleges have taken notice, and this week Brown was offered a scholarship by UGA.

MILLEDGEVILLE — At 6-foot-7 and 330 pounds, Trenton Brown is hard to miss.

And Georgia saw him right away.

The Bulldogs offered the standout lineman for Georgia Military College a scholarship this week, marking the former Westover star’s second major offer from a Division I program.

“I’d say it’s my first big offer,” Brown told The Herald by telephone Friday. “I also got an offer from Louisiana-Lafayette, but Georgia is one of those schools I’ve always liked, and they’re in my Top 5.”

Brown just finished a stellar freshman season at GMC, where he started every game and didn’t give up a sack all year.

“I was pretty happy with how I played as a true freshman,” Brown said. “Not allowing any sacks was something I was really proud of.”

Brown, of course, has plenty of time to mull UGA’s offer and hasn’t signed anything yet. After all, he expects —and hopes — more offers are on their way.

“My Top 5 is Georgia, LSU, Florida State, Alabama and Texas,” said Brown, who added he did have a favorite on that list. “Growing up, I really liked Florida State.”

FSU is coming off a 2012 National Signing Day during which the Seminoles snagged the No. 2-rated class in the nation, while Georgia, the defending SEC East champs, was No. 5, according to ESPN.com. Alabama was ranked No. 1.

Brown, who was an Albany Herald Dynamite Dozen selection his junior and senior years at Westover, said he heard about the offer from GMC head coach Joe Windon.

“He just came up and told me he had good news,” Brown recalled. “He said Georgia offered me a scholarship. We were both excited.”

Brown graded out at 93 percent on the offensive line his senior season at Westover.

Comments

Sister_Ruby 2 years, 10 months ago

When I saw this kid play he was about as athletic as a bag of rocks. However, in the classroom the bag of rocks had a slight edge in the brains department.

dominiquedamac 2 years, 10 months ago

Stop hating! He is one of the few Albany's athlete that is going to play on the Division 1 level!

Sister_Ruby 2 years, 10 months ago

I think you still have to make passing grades in SOMETHING academic to play D1 football, even at UGA. We'll see. Check back in 18 months and let's see wha happa.

bamanedepe 2 years, 10 months ago

Sister Ruby, sounds like you're the one that was caught with your hands in the cookie jar; you know on top of the desk getting rocked; your comments are always filled with hatred; i would say you are the one that has a bag of rocks and no one to play with; just some info for your "rock head Azz", in order to receive a D1 scholarship you must have some grades so once again your rock head stupidity got you confused; No I forgot you are just filled with hatred; 18 months from now he most likely will be hiring your rock head to pick up rocks out of his lawn; Now check back on that; you should be uplifting these young folks for the hardwork they are doing and trying to make something of themselves but that would be to good of you to give praise to young folks; I hope the crimson tide get him "Role Tide", former native of the ALB now in the Bham; DDmac keep it real agree with you 100%

coachjohnson42 2 years, 10 months ago

I totally agree!!!! Great post!!! tell her again!!! She needs to hear it LOUD AND CLEAR!!!

ObjectiveEyes 2 years, 10 months ago

bamanedepe: You are 100% wrong. Just because someone receives "an offer" doesn't mean they have the grades, SAT scores, etc to actually be accepted by the university. What I saw on the football field does not = a D-1 athlete. Lazy and a sense of entitlement because he is so big. Wouldn't practice, knew he'd play anyway...said that on more than one occasion. Should have dominated at the hs level. More like a "swinging door." Worthless in the classroom...wouldn't participate in class or even turn in homework. Why do you think he finished his hs career at Westover? Wasn't welcome back at DWS and wasn't academically eligible if he had come back. When he left, most said "good riddance." Call me a hater, if you like...I'm not that at all, just stating fact.

dominiquedamac 2 years, 10 months ago

Well, he is going to play on the D1 level. So, you are hating and he got a chance to make more money than you. LOL!

The_Dude 2 years, 10 months ago

ROLE TIDE!!!!! HAHAHAHHAHAHAH

Supporter 2 years, 10 months ago

If your facts are so true then why did you fail to state that the only reason he wasn't offered by them in high school is because of grades and now that he has them in college they want him now AGAIN! Also a DWS practice or game wasn't very challenging at all there really was no need to practice hard or even practice at all. You should be happy a kid from your area has made great strides in changing to become a better person and student! You might as well throw yourself in the hater category as well!!!!

dominiquedamac 2 years, 10 months ago

DWS has put a lot of athletes at D1 school. They got one playing for Clemson's basketball team. They got another one playing for Georgia Tech's football team. Their games are challenging...

coachjohnson42 2 years, 10 months ago

Nobody from Deerfield's so called "great team" has signed with a D1 team this year so far......or a D2 team.....or anybody.......whats the problem DEERFIELD???? Were you over-rated again???? hahahahaha

dominiquedamac 2 years, 10 months ago

@coachjohnson42

You love to be on their ****! They are kids and your old behind love to bash them. Act your age!

dominiquedamac 2 years, 10 months ago

If they don't have a kid to go D1, who cares? As long the kids graduate, thats all that matters.

Sister_Ruby 2 years, 10 months ago

I think the Deerfield kids are smart enough to realize that they need to get on with a real education so they can get on with a real job because they are going to have to work and pay "their fair share" of taxes in order to support their own families as well as support these local "D1 signees" and their progeny for the rest of their natural lives.

ObjectiveEyes 2 years, 10 months ago

Ding, ding, ding. I think we have a winner! You nailed it, Sister Ruby! (or should I say, you "hit a homerun!")

CJ_Fan 2 years, 10 months ago

Sister you nailed it. Coach has to Hate on DWS because their students and athletes are not going to become dependent on the government for support because of their lack of education once their athletic abilities fade. One less Dumbacrat!

coachjohnson42 2 years, 10 months ago

I see my fan is following me again.....hello my son......good to hear from you again.

Supporter 2 years, 10 months ago

Ya know you're a real funny guy, You're hilarious in fact. I never see you bash private school kids or try to drag their names through the mud? Whats the deal with that? A bit racist i would say!!!!

Sister_Ruby 2 years, 10 months ago

You just haven't been paying attention........

Sister_Ruby 2 years, 10 months ago

It's YOUR job to pay attention...it's MY job to tell the truth. I'm doing my job with EXCELLENCE. You.....apparently not so much.

Supporter 2 years, 10 months ago

Woooooaaaah buddy you got a little offended there...did I strike a nerve???

Apparently So!

coachjohnson42 2 years, 10 months ago

Just stating the obvious......their football must not have been as good as Robert Hydrick tried display with his weekly reporting of their victories in the super strong GISA division.....If they were so good, why haven't Georgia. Florida, Tennessee, S. Carolina, FSU, LSU, or ANYBODY SIGNED THEM YET???? CAN YOU ANSWER THAT PREPPY BOY??????????

ObjectiveEyes 2 years, 10 months ago

The last time I checked, Robert is not associated with DWS. You haven't heard any DWS supporters touting "greatness."

tywebb 2 years, 10 months ago

maybe it's because they didn't have any standout individuals....they might have just been a great TEAM! Team will win over individuals everytime! Being a "coach", I really expected you to know that already.

dominiquedamac 2 years, 10 months ago

He isn't a real coach. He is 19 or 20 years old. He is just a white schools's hater!

Jacob 2 years, 10 months ago

Sorry to burst your bubble once again, Mr. Big Yellow Shoes and Round Ball Nose- DWS students don't have to count on their ability to chunk a ball, or sprint quickly, or be of gargantuan, ativistic proportions to get to go to a real college. Instead, they rely on their intellect and hard work to prepare them for the real world instead of spending countless hours bouncing a ball or picking up heavy stuff and putting it back down. You keep telling yourself that athletics are the way to succeed for the ignorant "students" born to the parents of the typical DCSS citizens. Meanwhile, all that physical labor they are practicing will serve them well when they are digging ditches and mowing grass for the DWS college grads someday.

coachjohnson42 2 years, 10 months ago

@Jacob......So are you defining a DWS student athlete as "all intellect, along with no athletic ability???" Just big goofy over-rated nerds who cant play???? Just super-smart geeks who cant run, jump, or tackle? Just silver-spoon fed computer waldos who cant make a free throw, dunk a basketball, or catch a pass, but can rely on daddy's money to be successful???? Is that what you are saying???That's really mean.....Why are you so demeaning to the DWS student athletes??? They can play ball too...... I saw them on TV....you are not very nice Jacob...say you are sorry....now!!

Jacob 2 years, 10 months ago

I think the real apology should come from you and your ilk who teach these poor DCSS children that athletics are more important than education. It is really sad to see a culture where adademically superior kids in public school are chastised and made fun of for "trying to be white" when they display proper grammar and study hard. Just look at the paper corch, the results speak for themselves. High crime, high dropout rates in school, and high teen pregnancy with no father figure present. Pretty much a guarantee of continued abject poverty with no real hope of improvement. Keep on talking smack about private school football, though, if that makes you feel a little better about yourself and yours. I gotta tell you though, at some point, it will occur to you that its like peeing in your pants to stay warm in the winter. At first, it seems like a good idea- later, not so much. Now go polish those yellow shoes and have a good day.

CJ_Fan 2 years, 10 months ago

OLD man why don't you fade away. You are a washed up Hater. Society has pasted you by and your not even start enough to see today’s youth have no use for has-beens like you. This is getting about as boring as your “Race Card” But Once again “HERES YOU SIGN”...... The Kid

Abytaxpayer 2 years, 10 months ago

My My the shoes fit CJ42 so well. Mr. Big Yellow Shoes and Red Ball Nose he just can't help himself he makes you smile.

coachjohnson42 2 years, 10 months ago

You have the intelligence of a dead frog

Abytaxpayer 2 years, 10 months ago

Are you smarter than a Dead Frog? NO but you are alot Funnier!