Rich males shouldn't decide abortion

Carlton Fletcher

Carlton Fletcher

How could I throw away a miracle? How could I face another day? It's all of my doing, I made a choice, And today I pay.

-- Whitney Houston

This is not -- repeat, not -- an attempt to convince anyone that abortion is right or wrong.

While I find it hard to imagine any government -- particularly one made up largely of men -- assuming the power to order women who have been raped or are the victims of incestuous relationships to give life to a child that results from such acts, I am just as appalled at the thought of a woman using abortion as a form of birth control, especially at taxpayer expense.

There is, of course, no place for a happy medium in this ongoing argument, so wishy-washy attitudes like mine have no part in this debate. Of course, being part of the male population, I also consider any argument I might make pro or con to be of minimal consequence. Despite what all the self-important elected officials say, what the presidential candidates on the campaign trail would have us believe, or even what church leaders tell us from the pulpit, abortion always has been and always will be an issue best debated and decided by women.

(I must admit, however, that I find myself stupefied by the lunatic fringe element of the "pro-life" group whose members are so dead-set against abortion -- who are so intent on "preserving every precious life" -- that they'd bomb abortion clinics and kill anyone who'd dare seek care or even work there. This is pro-life?)

Another group whose members cannot be taken seriously when discussing abortion is the group that is adamantly opposed to abortion in any circumstances -- even if the mother's life is at risk -- and yet after all those unwanted babies are born they're opposed to offering any form of assistance to help raise the resulting children.

These are the people who argue that abortion is wrong, but who also say sex education should not be taught in schools, who say the only form of birth control that is acceptable is abstinence, who are opposed to any dispensation of birth control ... yet they berate the "welfare mothers" who are an unfortunate byproduct of such misinformation and miseducation.

For those who hold such a world view, a young girl who has received no sex education at home or at school, who has no concept of birth control and has been pressured into a sexual relationship at a very young age, resulting in a pregnancy, should not only be forced to have the child but should also now have to find a job and be solely responsible for raising that child.

If such a young girl seeks employment, she doesn't have enough education to do anything but the most menial of tasks. And the resulting low self-esteem and low pay help perpetuate a no-way-out cycle that keeps her and any resulting children from ever considering an American dream that reaches beyond the strict boundaries their life has imposed on them.

It's easy enough for an educated person who comes from a background of privilege to look down on such youngsters and condemn their "lack of self-control." It's a far tougher thing for a young person who knows nothing of such matters to consider the consequences of giving in to an urge that scientists declare is a natural part of the human existence.

You can't withold vital information about sex and birth control and then expect children to make mature decisions when placed in a situation that could result in an unwanted pregnancy. Such hypocrisy reaches well beyond the bounds of "pro-life" vs. "pro-choice" into an area of civic responsibility that touches on the essence of human decency.

It's hard to imagine millionaire male politicians with the capacity to factor environmental ignorance and poverty into the ongoing debate over abortion. Until that happens, though, the people most touched by the issue are left without a voice.

Email Metro Editor Carlton Fletcher at carlton.fletcheralbanyherald.com.

Comments

ObjectiveEyes 2 years, 2 months ago

There goes about 3 minutes of my life I'll never get back. More useless, mindless drivel by The Herald's resident liberal.

Sister_Ruby 2 years, 2 months ago

Amen. It just gets my blood boiling first thing in the A.M. which is all he's trying to do anyway.

ObjectiveEyes 2 years, 2 months ago

I think you're correct. He just throws crap against the wall to see how much will stick.

Shinedownfan 2 years, 2 months ago

Thanks for the heads up, I won't even attempt to read it.

buddy 2 years, 2 months ago

Definition correction: "welfare mothers" are girls who have children as a means of income. The more children you have, the more free assistance you get from the government. There is no comparison to a girl who has made a mistake and "LEARNS" from her mistake. If my wife and I work hard to make ends meet and can't afford to have more than 2 children why should we have to support an irresponsible woman who has 5 with 5 different men just to get a check? You are giving teenagers a free pass! You ask any 13 year old how children are made and they know! Give me a break!!!! More liberal rantings of a mad man...

LuLu 2 years, 2 months ago

Well, I like it for a change! I think he made some valid observations.

Outtahere 2 years, 2 months ago

Very true!! Hypocrisy abounds on this subject. I am not saying whether I am for or against abortion but I am saying that this subject brings out the worst in people. If the pro-lifers that protest at the clinics really cared about the children (they say they are there for the babies) then why don't they go help take care of all the unwanted babies that have already been born. With all the child abuse, neglect, abandonment and sexual deviants that prey on unwanted children, I do not understand why they don't put their energy into making a child's life better instead of telling a grown woman what to do with her own body! Those protesters do not really care about "the children" as they claim to or they would reach out to one of those "welfare mothers" that they look so down upon and try to make an innocent child's life a little better.

Cartman 2 years, 2 months ago

Cliff Notes: I'm Carlton Fletcher. I'm a male. I don't think males should have an opinion about abortions, so I'm going to write this article about the subject and provide my "wishy washy" opinion anyway. It is not my purpose to opine that abortion is right or wrong, but pro-life advocates are hypocrites who want to bomb abortion clinics and want babies from poor families to starve. The pro-lifers oppose birth control too. This policy is engineered to produce "welfare mothers", who pro-lifers can then berate for amusement. Millionare male politicians have made sure that the clueless do not receive "sex education", else they might escape their ignorance and poverty. That is why males should not have an opinion on the subject. The end.

agirl_25 2 years, 2 months ago

So then you are Pro-Choice, Outtahere? I have always been Pro-Choice. I am for the person making an individual choice, not a church, state, politician or anyone making the decision for the person.....but only the person making the decision. I fully agree with you about pro-lifers, if they are so concerned.....why do they spend so much time bombing clinics and protesting.....why don't they use that energy elsewhere? But alas, it will forever be a moot subject..and will be argued till the end of time and I don't believe Roe v Wade will ever be overturned.

Oh well.....all I have to say in parting is...... it's way cheaper to wipe an adult's rear end via subsidizing birth control, versus subsidizing wiping the rears of babies.

Outtahere 2 years, 2 months ago

I am almost scared to say my belief on this topic because it creates such a stir. But, yes, I am pro choice. No one should tell me what to do with my body, especially a rich old man - or really any man for that matter!

Sister_Ruby 2 years, 2 months ago

Aren't you choosing what to do with TWO bodies?

AlbanyIsTooDarkDuringTheDay 2 years, 2 months ago

Not necessarily. Each side of the argument has one-off situations where you can see the validity of the other side's argument.

Sister_Ruby 2 years, 2 months ago

It's not really a rhetorical question. The answer is obvious to anybody with half a brain.

AlbanyIsTooDarkDuringTheDay 2 years, 1 month ago

Rape? Would that be you, "choosing what to do with 2 bodies"? Like my "half a brain" said, "each side off the argument has one-off situations..."

LoneCycler 2 years, 2 months ago

Mr. Fletcher leads with an interesting choice of lyrics from a Whitney Houston song. That song goes on to say "For nothing should matter, not when love grows inside you. The choice is yours, there's a miracle in store." And "How could I let go of a miracle, Nothing could ever take it's place. Thought I was looking, out for myself, now it seems the pain, is all I have gained."
Conception is a miracle and many women live anguished lives after they choose to "throw it away." I see little recognition of that in this article. Whitney claimed that the song wasn't just about abortion, but the song was not written by her. It was written by L.A. Reid and Babyface. Two rich men who shouldn't be allowed to have an opinion on the subject, apparently.

agirl_25 2 years, 2 months ago

This web page is old but it has some interesting facts on it about welfare in Georgia...especially towards the end from where it says: AGENDA While the majority of welfare reform must necessarily take place at the federal level, several steps can be taken in Georgia:

and then reading down to the where the article begins on REDUCING UNECESSARY..........etc etc etc........

I was hoping to find something about a cut-off for children. I mean I know they will give assistance (probably) in some aspect, but I wonder if someone had a Duggar complex (you know, some idiot who had 19 or 20 kids). I wonder if all 19 or 20 would be on assistance....a specific amount for food stamps, cash, etc. Years ago when I worked in Home Health the majority of the patients I saw were on assistance and some families were getting goods and services in excess of $30-35,000 a year for a family of 6. Food stamps, commodities, Medicaid, this was back when all medicines were free, not limited to 6 or 8 a month (but now it may be even less - this was back in the 80's), free transportation, lots more goodies.

Puzzled 2 years, 2 months ago

Finally, a voice of reason. Well done, Carlton!