Murfree obtains PSC certification through 2016

DCSS superintendent also gets a $7,000 raise.

Photo by Laura Williams

Photo by Laura Williams

ALBANY, Ga. — Dougherty County School Superintendent Joshua Murfree has completed all requirements of a professional development plan (PDP) and has been issued certification through 2016 by the Georgia Professional Standards Commission.

Murfree, who was hired as superintendent in June of 2010, lacked an Educational Leadership GACE (L7) at the time and was issued a two-year permit by the PSC in order to obtain the certification as required by the Dougherty County Board of Education.

PSC Executive Director Paul Shaw confirmed Wednesday that Murfree had completed the requirements of the PDP and had been issued certification good through June of 2016.

With the certification in hand, Murfree also gets a pay raise from $140,000 per year to $147,000. His employment contract with the DCSS runs through June of 2013.

The Herald is currently awaiting comment from the school system.

Comments

jglass 2 years, 1 month ago

So, due to the lack of monies within the school system...................he should forego this increase in pay since the teachers are furloughed each school term.

CJ_Fan 2 years, 1 month ago

I say we give #34 a chance to prove he learned something while preparing for his professional development plan (PDP).

I do have to agree with Jglass if #34 has any integrity he will announce he is not accepting the pay increase until after teachers are taken care of. Time he should standup and start proving his Leadership ability.

Sally_O 2 years, 1 month ago

Typical! Teachers are furloughed but yet they have more than enough money to give #34 a $7000 raise. He was already overpaid in the begin with.

Sister_Ruby 2 years, 1 month ago

Well done! Thank you, Herald, for following up on this and reporting in a timely manner.

dingleberry 2 years, 1 month ago

Yeah, and I completed a PSP to be a brain surgeon. Lobotomy, anyone?

Amazed2 2 years, 1 month ago

Maybe Murfree could distribute some or all of that $7000 dollars to his principals so they can feed there children. Oh yea maybe just a $200 or $300 for Velvet Riggins too.

Trustbuster 2 years, 1 month ago

How can someone who has never taught in a public school obtain this certification type? Is he worth $147,000? The good doctor has a lot to show.

agirl_25 2 years, 1 month ago

This last line............."The Herald is currently awaiting comment from the school system."....

What are you at the newspaper offices awaiting comment about? Just curious. I mean come on........he is the most talked about and ridiculed person in the school system, except for the two poor underpaid ladies who can't afford to feed their kids and get free lunches for them. What in the world do you expect the school system to comment on about him? I will await your comment in the next eagerly awaited (yeah, right) article about him. Oh and by the way, tsk tsk on the writer of the piece......giggle giggle....for I noticed in your clever little way you stuck it to him....snicker snicker......by not putting Dr. in front of his name......chortle chortle........

Terry.Lewis 2 years, 1 month ago

Amazed2 2 years, 1 month ago

I guess I am glad the man got somekind of something that says he is somewhat qualified. Guess in real world getting your qualifications about 2 years after you were supposed to have them is kind of like Remedial Work or Non Credit work. Oh well #34 finally passed but I was just wondering did DCSS and the taxpayers have to pay for his this remedial work and his travel related expenses if any??? I would think he should have personally paid but I bet if you look at the books and his expense account you will find that not only was he hired without qualifications we paid for him to get educated????????????????????

Sister_Ruby 2 years, 1 month ago

He's showing us how much experience he's got right there in the picture, y'all.

Eency weency smidgen. Can get you big money in this town.

southwestga 2 years, 1 month ago

I thought there was some rule that prevents superintendents from getting raises if teachers are on furlough?

Terry.Lewis 2 years, 1 month ago

The author of that bill, State Rep. Ed Rynders, said last night that he was unsure when it was signed into law. He said it was "the year before last," and is checking on the exact date. Murfree signed his contract with the DCSS on June 2, 2010. So we'll see.

coachjohnson42 2 years, 1 month ago

Did you expect him to sit on his behind and not get full certification?

LuLu 2 years, 1 month ago

It's quite possible that COULD have happened had we not been here fanning the flames for the last year and a half. I thank God every day for these local websites that allow us to comment and keep fire under people's rears! Some communities are not so fortunate to have these public forums and their elected officials get away with anything and everything. Thanks in part to regular posters, he followed through.

Shinedownfan 2 years, 1 month ago

well, coach, he got the job and didnt meet the qualifications of the position... WTH? I was always told that if you dont meet the qualifications, you need not apply. Why did he even apply for the position in the first place?

chinaberry25 2 years, 1 month ago

Wonder how many times he took the test. And yes, he had a tutor to school him for the test. No doubt paid for by DCSS. Only in Dougherty County would this ever happen. ASU must have shot a lot of BS to get rid of him. Now we can see if he has his contract renewed in 2013.

Citizen_A 2 years, 1 month ago

I was wondering the same thing myself....

Justice4Moma 2 years, 1 month ago

I may be mistaken,i do that some time.But i do read alot.I seem to remember that the School System paid for him to go to School and get it.I may be wrong.If so i will be corrected,and will be glad to know the truth.But i think we all know the answer.

Abytaxpayer 2 years, 1 month ago

Georgia Professional Standards Commission also required DCSS to “Verify” #34 Murfee was the "Best Qualified" applicant available. 34th is BEST Available Really? Or proof to our youth that education, hard work and qualifications can't hold a candle to Nepotism? Aim High-Reach for a Dream or Aim LOW and just be content with what you get. One way is UP and Out while the other is Down and OUT. Such a good example the "Board" is for our youth.

jglass 2 years, 1 month ago

It seems like when furloughing first started within the county, Sheriff Sproul was due a raise and he refused his raise because his co-workers were either being furloughed or there was no money for them to receive raises. Sheriff Sproul did the right thing and refused his raise. Mr. Murfree, I think you should set a good example as well. You came into your position because of who you knew, not what you knew. You were under qualified for the job, however received a huge salary. Now you are certified and are to get a $7,000 raise, when there is little to no money in the budget. I hope you show your co-workers a very good example. If I were a school teacher and you received a raise and I had to continue to be furloughed, I would have a very hard time with you professionally and personally.

VSU 2 years, 1 month ago

I agree with you 100%, but we all know #34 doesn't have that much integrity to do that. If anything, he is probably disappointed his raise wasn't higher than it was.

TheBoss 2 years, 1 month ago

Wonder if they will go back and pay him for the 2 years prior or will they pro-rate his pay for the 6 out of the 12 months of his yearly contract. When my daughter got her masters degree in December she had to wait till August to receive a new rate of pay. But she is just a teacher not a highly qualified, polsihed, professonal like Dr. Murfree.

jglass 2 years, 1 month ago

I would certainly hope, if he accepts this pay raise, that it would be put into place the 2012-2013 school term. He has not been truly qualified since he was hired, so I would hope they would not give him "back pay".

Cartman 2 years, 1 month ago

I'm glad that after nearly two years, he is now qualified for his job. IIRC, the School board had to vote on the fiction that he was the "best qualified" applicant in order to sidestep the certificate requirement. The whole selection process was an obvious charade. I don't even know why other applicants were invited to apply. When all is said and done, Murfree is a fitting Superintendent to work with the present school board. How else would we have heard of the idea of a school system field trip to Atlanta? LOL. ...and the suggestion of using ESPLOST funds for operational expenses? Keep it coming. You guys crack me up.

TrixibelleBento 2 years, 1 month ago

That $147K sure does buy a lot of colorful bow ties.

Albany does not have a complex enough system to pay folks that much money. That's insane. I don't think that the City Manager even makes that much money and he has a lot more to deal with than #34.

boyoboy 2 years, 1 month ago

The principal at Terrell High is driving a Range Rover, his wife a Jaguar and teachers driving BMWs, Mercedes and Lexus. And Terrell County is almost dead a$$ last in education. They make way to much money and don't give a spit!

Sister_Ruby 2 years, 1 month ago

Par for the course. I never could afford any of those cars and I made plenty of money and paid plenty of taxes. I must have missed something or else just was too honest.

justme 2 years, 1 month ago

Buy a tie with the 7 grand and do something with that hair.

tywebb 2 years, 1 month ago

unfortunately, i think that the raise was in the contract he signed, so the brilliant board has to give him the raise. OF COURSE, he could turn it down, but won't. According to the Boards logic, when they hired a person who was uncertified but had 2 years to get certified, we should let 13 year olds drive....since they're going to get their actual license in a few years anyway! Or how about those 7 people let a surgeon operate on them even though he/she has 2 years left in medical school! Or how about we just start hiring teachers after their sophomore year in college. They're going to graduate in 2 years anyway! This school board is un-freaking-believable

waltspecht 2 years, 1 month ago

Possibly the Board should charge him for the fees they paid his Mentor, because he was not competant enough to get the certification himself. That in and of itself told me a lot about the man. Coach, in all your time did anyone hire a Mentor for you to get a higher rating and pay? I know in my time if I wanted something like that I either did it myself, or paid my own tutor. (A Tutor is something I have never needed nor paid for.) I guess when you are supposed to have a certain amount of experience, and you don't have it, then a Mentor is invaluable.

Jacob 2 years, 1 month ago

Of course he won't turn down the raise. That would require a modicum of dignity and morals. If he had any sense of shame or proptriety, he would never have accepted the job, given the public's knowledge that was the most unqualified candididate of the list and it was clear racist, backscratching politics that put him him in position. Ironically, it is the poor black children of the community who will pay the dearest price for this charade.

LuLu 2 years, 1 month ago

According to Open Georgia, last year he got paid $153,704.04 salary PLUS $4,840.90 for travel.

jglass 2 years, 1 month ago

OM Goodness, is this Open Georgia reliable? So, he was paid $13,704.04 more than they are saying plus he got $4,840.90 for traveling expenses and now he is getting a $7,000 raise. WOW, and I thought there was NO money in the DCSS budget. If I were a teacher, there is no way I could have any respect for this man. He is making too much money and the teachers are being furloughed. Just is not right!!!

southwestga 2 years, 1 month ago

Look at today's AJC PolitiFact. Georgia teachers are the most highly paid in America. Too bad we're at the bottom in educational achievement.

coachjohnson42 2 years, 1 month ago

CJ_Fan 2 years, 1 month ago

Coach Again don't let the FACTs get in your way while you stir the pot.

Abytaxpayer 2 years, 1 month ago

Coach your BS is getting tiring. NO ONE has ever said they despise ALL the teachers in DCSS. I for one have repeatedly said we have MANY good teachers in DCSS. Speaking for myself I do despise the FEW low life cheating sorry excuses for a caring Teacher because they alone cast a bad light on all teachers in DCSS and they are cheating our youth out of their futures. I also say it is people like YOU in this Community that is failing the students by settling for such low standards for the Board and upper management. You are so bent on stirring the pot and playing your one card you cannot see what YOU are costing the youth of America let alone in DCSS.

CJ_Fan 2 years, 1 month ago

AMEN !

I am getting tired of this, but once again Coach: HERE'S YOUR SIGN

coachjohnson42 2 years, 1 month ago

Your brain is the size of a knat's anus. Your attempt to stereotype me cannot cloud the fact that I am right and you are wrong. I own you.

tywebb 2 years, 1 month ago

what the hell is a KNAT???? Gnat genious

CJ_Fan 2 years, 1 month ago

Wow this is the Best you can say. Again you only state clouded facts nothing based on true FACTS and claim you are Right. No need to stereotype you, the proof is in your postings.

agirl_25 2 years, 1 month ago

Now now boys...you are beginning to sound like Pee Wee Herman......"I am rubber and you are glue...whatever you say bounces off me and sticks to you"....

You can do better than that!! PLAY NICE.

CJ_Fan 2 years, 1 month ago

Sorry I just get tired of the “Old Man” twisting his thoughts into fake facts. He is on the ropes and can’t stand a “Kid” is correcting the “facts of his imagination”. His ONE card is his grip on the past and he cannot see the future while clinging so hard to the Past.

Feel free to review any of my post including http://www.albanyherald.com/news/2012... Comments are welcome to same addy on the who.

coachjohnson42 2 years, 1 month ago

Sorry, but my "CoachJohnson Fan" is jealous of me and I have to eat him up every now and them to remind him who his daddy is......

agirl_25 2 years, 1 month ago

I once saw a TV show called "THE PERFECT SCORE: Cheating on the SAT". It was about kids paying others to take college entrance exams for them so they could get in to a big name college. This was usually kids from well heeled families who did not have the brain power to get in on their own so they had to cheat in order to get in and Daddy's bucks was the road to school. This is nothing new, it has been going on for years. I have even known of men who cheated on med school exams by hiring someone to take them for them!! I would be APPALLED if it came out that Murfree (gasp) cheated on his exams for his certification, but then there is so much cheating going on in the county among his (pick one) a) peers; b) good old boy pals; c) business associates; d) others who shall remain nameless....and he has been very evasive about his past work experience, or lack thereof. So question is...where did he take the exams, and how were they monitored? When I took state boards I had to go to Macon and show a picture ID but on the TV show the young man who pulled the scam taking the SAT for money explained how easy it was to get around that. Just curious. . ..

Abytaxpayer 2 years, 1 month ago

Coach say all you want about locals(Since when did you guys care about the teachers in DCSS? I thought you despised them???)

But read this story In the Huffington Post. I guess now you will have to call them a racist news rag too.

"Notwithstanding these examples of misconduct, there are skilled, dedicated and well-meaning educators in this school system," investigators wrote in Tuesday's report. "But their work is often overshadowed by an acceptance of wrongdoing and a pattern of incompetence that is a blight on the community that will feel its effects for generations to come. This is the Dougherty County School System."

READ THE WHOLE STORY.

"The disgraceful situation we found in the Dougherty County School System is a tragedy," the investigators wrote.

agirl_25 2 years, 1 month ago

http://www.albanyherald.com/news/2012... The video is here also for the story mentioned.
Just click and when page opens scroll to bottom.

Amazed2 2 years, 1 month ago

Well this is a perfect opportunity for Ol #34 Murfree to prove that he is a man of entegrity and high moral character and simply say thanks for the recognition but keep the money.