Woman, 19, hit by vehicle

ALBANY — A 19-year-old Albany woman was the victim of a hit and run over the weekend, according to Albany Police Department reports.

Before 5 a.m. Sunday, officers were sent to the emergency center of Phoebe Putney Memorial Hospital, where Demonica Blakely said that someone had struck her with a vehicle.

A police report narrative said that Blakely reported that she was walking from Club Escape on South McKinley Street when a car drove by from which someone yelled, “West side.” She further stated that the car turned around and began traveling north on South McKinley.

At some point after that, she was hit while walking southward on the street.

Blakely told police she did not know who else was in the vehicle. All she could say was it was a small, dark-colored car, the narrative said.

At the hospital, Blakely showed officers her right leg. It reportedly had signs of swelling. She also said her upper back was hurting.

A hospital spokeswoman said Blakely was discharged. from Phoebe’s emergency center on Sunday.

The case remains active for aggravated assault and is under investigation.

Comments

LuLu 2 years, 6 months ago

Serves her right. I suppose we'll be paying for this, too.

LuLu 2 years, 6 months ago

Absolutely -- not that that has squat to do with it. But I'm also a hard-working mother and taxpayer who is SICK-N-FREAKIN TIRED of sorry-azz, lazy, good-for-nothing animals ripping me and my fellow hard-working taxpayers off because of their laziness, irresponsibility and STUPIDITY. Where is this child's mother? And dare I ask about her father?

dingleberry 2 years, 6 months ago

My goodness, what is a 19 YO doing walking out of a club at 5A on Sunday morn? I'm with LuLu on this one. We always seem to pay for the mistakes of others.

Somebody 2 years, 6 months ago

Would it have been any cheaper if it had been 5pm in the afternoon?

waltspecht 2 years, 6 months ago

I believe the Police should be investigating a flase report, more so than an assault. Some of it just doesn't add up, and I think the Detectives will be good enough to figure it out.

Shinedownfan 2 years, 6 months ago

I know! "at some point after that she was hit while walking southward..." oooookay....

Jacob 2 years, 6 months ago

This story can't be right. The legal drinking age in Albany is 21. How could a 19 year old possibly have been in a night club?

Susan123 2 years, 6 months ago

I'm not sure about any of the clubs in Albany, but in other places you don't always have to be 21 to get into a club, you still aren't supposed to be able to drink though. I know this because when I was 18 I went to a club in Florida with some older friends, they didn't have any problems letting me in, I just couldn't buy any alcoholic drinks. But that was ok since I was the designated driver anyways. But some clubs do require you to be 21 to enter.

VietVet1 2 years, 6 months ago

I can't help but think she left children home unattended.

T_Paine 2 years, 6 months ago

For starters, you only have to be 18 to enter a club in most places. And just because you go to a club does not mean you are drinking. It is possible to go to one because you like to socialize or dance.

Now truthfully, no one really has any business walking home from a night club at 5 AM, but the woman is 19 years old and is responsible for her own decisions. She could very well be a student. And the story didn't say it happened at 5, it said before 5 the officers were called to the hospital, where she already was.

And you folks assuming she left multiple children at home while she partied should be ashamed of yourselves. You don't know anything about her except that she appears to have been in the wrong place at the wrong time.

TrixibelleBento 2 years, 6 months ago

She might be responsible for her own decisions, but I'll bet the taxpayers are responsible for her bills. Just sayin.

Momof3 2 years, 6 months ago

I am a taxpayer too and don't like paying for other people's medical, food, houseing, whatever since I have enough of my own to pay. but just out of curosity... how do you all know we are paying her bills? Do you know for sure she has no insurance or are you just assuming? Anybody ask her?

whattheheck 2 years, 6 months ago

Pretty good assumption I would say. Feel good with the odds about this one.

Citizen_A 2 years, 6 months ago

And why do we assume if she doesn't have insurance we will pay for it? Sounds to me like the person that hit her should pay for it some way or another....Pheobe can do the charitable thing and write it off....

whattheheck 2 years, 6 months ago

And the write off means an increased bill for someone else stuck in the billing system. Yes, the person who hit her should pay it off but won't be caught.