Squawk of the day - Feb. 29, 2012

"Our mayor is concerned with the blighted areas of Albany. Let's do our part in cleaning up around our own residences to deter burglars, gangs, rodents or whatever the condition may invite. So many neighborhoods have deteriorated because many do not care and are too lazy to just clean up."

Comments

Sister_Ruby 2 years, 1 month ago

If you're too lazy to clean up your area, then you don't deserve to be able to stay there. Get off your porches and off your sofas and clean up your crap.

LuLu 2 years, 1 month ago

As usual, this squawk is directed at the choir, but the ones who need to heed this advice are not the ones who read the newspaper, keep up with current events or care about their community.

TrixibelleBento 2 years, 1 month ago

We can't even get people to take their garbage cans off the street. I don't have much confidence.

KaosinAlbany 2 years, 1 month ago

In Thomasville the city would fine you if your garbage can was on the street and it wasn't garbage day. That could be another money maker for the city.

Somebody 2 years, 1 month ago

There were some neighborhoods that used to look nice, but now you have people move in, the grass is rarely cut, bushes and hedges growing out of control, house in badly need of a paint job, driveway cracking and breaking up, litter in the yard, screen or storm door barely handing on it's hinges, porch light drooping down hanginbg from electrical wires. Etc. etc. etc.

waltspecht 2 years, 1 month ago

What I know of ordanances in other Cities, there are ones that address these problems. In New York City if you put your garbage can out prior to the allowed pickup time of day, or fail to take it in on time, you are fined. In Reading PA if you blow, or allow your mower to blow grass clippings into the street you are fined. If you have a yard service they must also use their own trash disposal resources for the leaves and clippings, not the Cities. If you fail to sort recyclables in some California Cities I think they ban you. There are ordanances, but here that won't work because many of those causing the problem are already on the dole and they aren't worth taking to court.

ObjectiveEyes 2 years, 1 month ago

If I'm not mistaken, Mr. Specht, Albany has an ordinance against blowing leaves and clippings into the street, yet, I see it happening practically every day. Enforcement is the problem.

KaosinAlbany 2 years, 1 month ago

You are right, enforcement is the problem around here.

agirl_25 2 years, 1 month ago

I think where my sister lives in Virginia, in an area of over a million, that if you fall short of what you should put out to be recycled that you face a fine also. And you have to have it seperated into glass, paper and plastics. She is in a gated community also and there are some very strict rules and I don't know if I would want to live by some of them the homeowner's association has imposed. Fences have to be a certain height and she said once there was a grumpy old man who actually measured fences to make sure everyone complied. He wasn't part of the association..just a grumpy old man.

Cartman 2 years, 1 month ago

I'm against the government telling people what to do on their own property. Keeping your house and yard clean is a direct reflection of your personal standards. You can't force people to be decent. You can't force them to not be slobs. And I wouldn't want to live in a place where the government overlords tried to do it.

VietVet1 2 years, 1 month ago

Cartman - you've earned the privilege to live as you do. But those that expect the taxpayer to provide them with what they're owed don't care on keeping up appearance. After time with it looks like a dump they get to move into a newer "we owe" housing.

TrixibelleBento 2 years, 1 month ago

I agree for the most part, but I don't want to live next to a dump. It brings down my property values. If you want to live like a slob, fine, but when it starts to affect me and the value of my home, then I agree with enforcement.

I see these hoarder properties on TV and I really feel bad for the folks who live around them and are forced to live with their neighbors' mental frailties.

KaosinAlbany 2 years, 1 month ago

You would never make it in a Homeowner's Association then, Cartman.

KaosinAlbany 2 years, 1 month ago

Can you talk to my neighbor? His yard looks like a war zone. People wonder why things get stolen out of their yards... well put it in the storage shed where it belongs, if you have one, then it might not get stolen.

erudite 2 years, 1 month ago

Perhaps those who are concerned could offer to help. Perhaps a neighborhood clean up day. Maybe those with a lawn mower could mow the grass of the neighbor who does not have a lawnmower.

For all of the people in this area who claim to be church going Christians, they do not act Christian.

tywebb 2 years, 1 month ago

the world is full of hypocrites....and so is every religion

TheMember 2 years, 1 month ago

Just go through the neighborhood and you can figure out who lives where. The nice new colorful paint job with the paint off the "bad mix" shelf at Lowes along with all the cars parked on the front lawn, some running some not. It is disappointing how some take care of their investment, or should I say the governments hand outs.

Jimboob 2 years, 1 month ago

Remember, we are the government. It IS our money.

Sister_Ruby 2 years, 1 month ago

Yeah what's the deal with parking the cars in the middle of the yard, as close to the front door as possible. Are people that fat and lazy? Are they afraid of the car being broken into and want to be able to shoot out the front door without being a target? I don't get it.