Squawk of the day - Jan. 4, 2012

"When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that is the beginning of the end of any nation."

Comments

Shinedownfan 2 years, 3 months ago

Let's hope the second half of this squawk doesnt happen, cause the 1st half already has. Let's hope there are those out there who want more, and choose to work in order to better their lives and provide opportunities for them and their families ...and the government doesnt take all of it away.

agirl_25 2 years, 3 months ago

Many, many years ago I worked home health services and most of our clients were low income. This was back in the early 80's when home health actually did some good and had not become a racket and a pot of gold for so many (this is my opinion and I am entitled to it). I was in a home doing a visit, a dressing change on a mother who had a C-section and also trying to teach the head of household, the single mother of 4 who was living in public housing, on public assitance, who had what we used to refer to as the famous gold card (free medical - FREE RIDE - Medicaid) back then...and food stamps, etc...which if I remember correctly added up to about $35,000 in money and services-in-kind for her and her kids. (We once did a rough estimate at work of what we thought it must have added up to.) Not bad for the early 80's. Anyway, back to the reason for the post.....I was just chatting with the oldest boy, about 8, and asked him what he wanted to be when he grew up and was NOT at all surprised when he said....MAMA SAID I DON'T GOT TO BE NOTHING.......I CAN LET THE GOVERMENT TAKE CARE OF ME LIKE IT DOES US NOW.....

waltspecht 2 years, 3 months ago

Have you ever thought what would happen if the Rich suddenly decided to stop investing in the economy, and went to tax free bonds? Keep that in mind each time you hear someone advocate the Rich paying their fair share to support the poor.

Sister_Ruby 2 years, 3 months ago

All should read Ayn Rand's book "Atlas Shrugged". It contains the answer to Mr. Specht's question, or the companion question "What if all the Entrepreneurs went on strike and no longer applied their genius for the benefit of the general population (and unashamedly their own pocketbooks)?

Sister_Ruby 2 years, 3 months ago

People who categorically reject Obama's premise that "You are your Brother's Keeper".

ObjectiveEyes 2 years, 3 months ago

Sister: You are absolutely correct...and, I sleep well at night. There's also scripture that speaks to the fact, "...if you don't work, you don't eat..." I'm paraphrasing, of course.

Cartman: you are so right. Of course, so many miss the context in which it ws written.

Cartman 2 years, 3 months ago

I do reject it. The biblical reference for the term "brothers keeper" was uttered by Cain when he was lying to God, denying that he knew the whereabouts of his murdered brother, Able. See Gen 4:9 for context. It is no surprise to me that Obama uses the term as well. How benevolent of him to be generous with the money of others.

I choose to love my brother and do extend charity to those less fortunate, as commanded by God. But I am not my brother's "keeper", as deceitfully preached by Obama.

Sister_Ruby 2 years, 3 months ago

Being honest, from a distance Socialism and early Christianity (read about it in the NewTestament book of Acts) looks identical. However, there were two critical differences in early Christianity: 1. Giving was done freely and not under compulsion (2 Corinthians 9:7), and 2. As ObjectiveEyes said, "If anyone will not work, neither let him eat" (2 Thessalonians 3:10). God Said It!

Socialism is best described as "Trickle down poverty". That has been the outcome anywhere in the world that it has been tried (along with loss of all freedoms).

agirl_25 2 years, 3 months ago

Re: your comment on Rand's ATLAS SHRUGGED Socialism is a system of social organization that spreads the capital of the country to the community as a whole and capitalism is an economic system based on private ownership of capital. Rand's argument is in favor of capitalism for the self-sacrificing code of socialism ultimately creates an irrational system where need matters more than production. She shows that government interference is totalitarian and absurd. The seizing of resources to serve “the needy” only makes those whose resources have been seized become needy. When resources can be obtained only by demonstrating the greatest need, the strong are enslaved by the weak. By showing how socialism destroys productivity and dominates individuals, Rand helps to promote capitalism as its antidote. If, as Rand suggests, the notion of sacrifice for the “public good” is the force behind the destruction of society, then only a system that does not attempt to serve the public good can be moral— If, as Rand suggests, the notion of sacrifice for the “public good” is the force behind the destruction of society, then only a system that does not attempt to serve the public good can be moral—and only unfettered capitalism meets this criteria. Only capitalism can offer that freedom from intervention and allow people to do business based on their own values. Therefore, for Rand, capitalism is the only truly moral economic system.

Sister_Ruby 2 years, 3 months ago

Well laid out agirl_25. I could only add that Rand lived in Russia during the takeover of Socialism and wrote about it in her semi-autobiographical novel "We The Living", which I also commend for reading.

bubbavet 2 years, 3 months ago

MAN !! Y'ALL MADE MY DAY. I AM ALMOST SPEECHLESS.

Sister_Ruby 2 years, 3 months ago

I've been afraid that we might have "flooded the intelluctual bathtub" so to speak.