Squawk of the Day - Jan. 7, 2012

"Senior citizens, if you want to stop paying school taxes, that’s fine with me. I’d love to stop paying for your Medicare and Social Security."

Comments

1d2ec 2 years, 3 months ago

I paid for my social security, I pay every month for my medicare and I pay every month for additional insurance and I pay school taxes even though I haven't had a child or grandchild in DCSS for the past 23 years. I do however like to get value for money I must spend and not carry freeloaders. Get rid of that problem and I won't complain.

ghostofkarelia 2 years, 3 months ago

One of the fundamental differences between a government and a business is that with governments, some stakeholders (i.e. "taxpayers") receive benefits that outweigh their contributions, and vice-versa. That's not an opinion; that's a fact, and no amount of whining or Tea Party "patriotism" will ever change that.

waltspecht 2 years, 3 months ago

Funny I thought that Medicare money has been coming out of my pay check for quite some time now. As far as the Government run PONZI scheme known as Social Security our President has set that up for failure, ahead of schedule, by reducing the payroll tax that is supposed to be supporting it.There aren't enough workers coming into the program to support the numbers of non-contributors that the Government has added to it. Let alone those that actually supported it their whole lives. Since Lydon Johnson first opened it up, this has been a failure looking for a home. Plus it's about time parents paid for their own children's schooling. At least that way there may be some parental support generated for their childrens success or failure. Yes, I mean all parents, including those on public assistance.

VSU 2 years, 3 months ago

That would be one good way to get the parents involved in their child's education instead of taxpayers having to do it. It's bad enough our tax money goes to sorry parents on welfare to raise some of these kids in the begin with. Bottom line is, there is no self responsibility.

dingleberry 2 years, 3 months ago

The writer of this "jewel" of a squawk kind of forgets that, as Walt points out, Medicare and social security have been contributed to for many years through payroll taxes--the benefits have been bought. Later, when one retires, payments into the two basic funds cease as well they should. School taxes, however, continue on any property you own or rent, including vehicles, at generally increasing rates until you die.

A 97 year old friend, a widow, struggling until death to pay school tax on her house even though her only child graduated in the 1950s. It's simple, pay or lose your house--the tax man doesn't care. Although always an issue, seniors in DoCo may be particularly sensitive and resentful to these forced payments at the moment, don't you think?

Let's move the school/property tax issue up a notch. If one buys a share of stock for $10 and the price goes up to $20 the next year, and the stock is not sold, should tax be paid on the "phantom" gain of $10? Of course not and it is not since there is no "realized" gain. But, if your house likewise doubles in "value", and you remain in it, you pay taxes on the "phantom" gain every year even though there is no gain realized. Schools are the beneficiary of one half of this perpetual windfall.

Half the population in GA lives in counties that either have a senior school tax exemption or taxes based on what the homestead property actually cost, or in some cases, both of these benefits. Of course if you live in DoCo, you are not in that half. But if you are fortunate enough to reach retirement, you will certainly wish you were--and the tune will quickly change.

Give seniors tax relief and if any still feel and obligation to support a failed school system, let them make voluntary payments to the BOE--they would still like your money until death. And if you don't watch out, they will throw a bill in the casket before the lid shuts.

ghostofkarelia 2 years, 3 months ago

3rd paragraph: This is flawed logic. First of all, there are different types of securities; some are taxed for holding gains; some are not. You pay taxes on such a gain only if the gain is included in net income; in other words, if you derive a benefit from that gain, then you do (and should) pay taxes on it. Securities don't keep you warm, keep you dry, keep you safe, etc., but a house sure does.

daisymae 2 years, 3 months ago

I agree with waltspecht, I pay into Social Security every pay check I get and it is looking like I may not get a dime of MY money back by the time I retire. These taxes coming out my check are just to pay so that some lazy so and so can draw a check for doing absolutely nothing. We have people drawing disability that a perfectly capable of working. I do know some that have jobs that they are paid "cash" so that they can still get their check. So Venter, think twice about your statement of paying for the seniors, they are just getting money out of their savings account.

ghostofkarelia 2 years, 3 months ago

Social Security doesn't work like a 401(k). Yea, you pay it from your paycheck, but it's not "yours."

agirl_25 2 years, 3 months ago

I don't think it is so much we want to not pay the property tax that supports the schools. I think it is more we resent seeing the money wasted and stolen by the sorry few we constantly read about in the Herald (ie. those rotten ones in the school system). They may think it is just a tiny drop but those tiny drops add up. I don't mind paying my fair share at all. I paid my fair share in social security taxes for years and pay for my Medicare every month and receive my SS check every month and am glad to get it, and yes I receive a homestead exemption on my rural property for which I am grateful. I do resent supporting the mothers who insist we owe them a free ride tho, so that they can have baby after baby to make some boy feel like a man and be his baby mama. I worked hard for every benefit I receive and am thankful for them and hope when you are older you are well heeled enough that you won't have to rely on Medicare for medical benefits or SS to make it. Good luck with your future. I hope you have a great financial planner.

erudite 2 years, 3 months ago

Perhaps the real issue is funding public school systems. It is obvious that property taxes, regardless who pays them, do not adequately fund school systems anywhere, not just GA.

dingleberry 2 years, 3 months ago

This is an issue that hopefully will at least be talked about in the upcoming legislative session. Property tax only pays about 25% of the total school revenues in DoCo.

PatrickY2K 2 years, 3 months ago

I'll pay for my children's education when all interstate highways are turned into toll roads - the people who use the interstate can pay for it.