D.A. still waiting for Riggins’ police report

Joe Mullholland

Joe Mullholland

photo

Velvet Riggins

ALBANY — South Georgia Circuit District Attorney Joe Mullholland said Friday he is still waiting on the Dougherty County School Police investigation report on alleged school lunch fraud by Dougherty County School Board member Velvet Riggins.

“Right now I am still waiting on the report,” Mullholland said. “I’ve talked to the school board attorney (Tommy Coleman) and to the school police, but until I get the actual report I really can’t do anything.”

Last month Riggins was charged with two misdemeanor counts of falsifying information on free or reduced lunch applications and a felony count of offense by a public official. She is currently free on a $7,000 personal recognizance bond.

Mullholland was appointed as a special prosecutor after Dougherty District Attorney Greg Edwards recused himself from the case because he personally knows Riggins.

Mullholland said once he gets the DCSS report, he anticipates moving quickly to resolve the case.

“I have to review the report to see where I can go from there,” Mullholland said. “I’d like to get things moving quickly because the sooner we can get it done, the better.”

Comments

chinaberry25 2 years, 3 months ago

This will probably go away. The most harm has been done to her reputation than anything else. She will probably get elected with accolades though. Black mentality.

LuLu 2 years, 3 months ago

Why can't he get the report? Does it normally take this long or is someone intentionally holding things up?

FlunkyMonkey 2 years, 3 months ago

If you want to hold up a criminal case, delay the police report. Anyone want to bet that it won't appear until it is almost the end of the school year? The Dougherty County School Board and the DCSS Police don't have the sense God gave a goose but they do know how to protect one of their own. Final outcome? Riggins enters a nolo plea, the charges go away, and she gets away scott free. And another criminal is turned loose to help run Dougherty County.

bubbavet 2 years, 3 months ago

THIS IS STANDARD PROCEDURE FOR ALBANY AND PROBABLY OTHER CITIES AS WELL. IT TOOK OVER TEN DAYS TO GET AN ACCIDENT REPORT THAT THEY SAID WOULD BE READY IN 24 TO 48 HOURS. IT IS GOVERNMENT POLICY.

whattheheck 2 years, 3 months ago

If it ever shows up, look for the erasure marks. What an absolute joke DCSS has become. Pretty soon we should issue brown lunch bags for the whole bunch including the BOE to put over their heads. Buy them with USDA money ,if there is any left, have a "Dishonors Day", and let Deal pass 'em out.

Abytaxpayer 2 years, 3 months ago

This is a can of worms DCSS does not want opened. Once the light is shined on this case more cases will have to be made against other DCSS employees.

dingleberry 2 years, 3 months ago

OK, Mr Bowtie, the police work for you and the attorney advises you. The ball is in your court so are you going to dribble or shoot? Show some leadership, or guts as the case may be, get a copy of the report, and hand carry to Joe with a peace offering of a box of thin mints. If you can't do this "simple" task, pack your bags and move on!

Abytaxpayer 2 years, 3 months ago

Now Now we all know #34 is just a yes man for the Fab 4 and they do not want their constituents exposed for stealing for taxpayers. Embarrass enough constituents and they may actually look at Qualifications next elections.

dingleberry 2 years, 3 months ago

Naw, we don't elect most BOE members based on qualifications so no need to start now. But I do think we should look closer at Super qualifications next time. Why not try #36 or #42? Hire one you can spend more quality time training to be more like what you want them to be, I always say.

Sister_Ruby 2 years, 3 months ago

Just drive down to the station and ask for the report and wait right there until it is produced. Simple.

Shinedownfan 2 years, 3 months ago

This is the Do Co Schools Cops... not the Albany Police. It's the report from the school police... now you understand why they r stalling.

coachjohnson42 2 years, 3 months ago

Why are you guys so interested in this person and others in DCSS being charged? Its all getting boring to me....Terry Lewis feeds you guys a bone, and you bite every time....

LuLu 2 years, 3 months ago

Because it's OUR children and OUR money!!!!!!

ghostofkarelia 2 years, 3 months ago

Wow! I didn't know ASU alums knew how to use the computer.

dingleberry 2 years, 3 months ago

Coach, why are you so interested in no one being charged? Evidence of something done wrong needs to be explored, not dismissed. Is there something wrong with wanting people we pay or elect to have standards, values, morals, and ethics?

coachjohnson42 2 years, 3 months ago

I am questioning why you are so interested. I never said I was interested in no one being charged Sir Dingleberry. If they broke law, sure, charge them....but make sure you are just as interested about all criminals across the board.

dingleberry 2 years, 3 months ago

Well Sir Coach, I am interest in all criminals since a criminal is a criminal in my mind. Every one of them, all, no exceptions. Is this OK with you, Sir Coach?

Abytaxpayer 2 years, 3 months ago

Coach you are so typical of the Problems in Albany. Your bored because of your Apathy and it is lazy, indifferent, uninformed blind followers like you that care so little about the future of the children of Albany that you are allowing the thievery of their future. The really sad part is for the most part this is a Black on Black crime. If you and your constitutes saw this as a white on black crime everyone would be packing downtown Demanding action. Folks like you are why DCSS has board members like the Fab 4 and a superintendent that was ranked #34. To allow this board member to remain on the board and sit in judgment of others charged with cheating is just the epitome of what is wrong with DCSS. You are bored and NOT outraged because you see it as they are only stealing from the Government and it is no big deal cause most everyone you know does it some way or another. You forget Everything and I repeat EVERYTHING you get from the GOVERNMENT was TAKEN from someone else. . Stealing is Stealing whether it is stealing the future of the children or stealing lunch money…You of all people should be calling for Albany to come together and work to better the future for the children of Albany..but Your very lack of standards, values, morals, and ethics is what you are passing on to the children of Albany. …..People like you are the very reason private schools are thriving in this area.

FlunkyMonkey 2 years, 3 months ago

Abytaxpayer==I agree with everything you say except this being a for the most part, a black on black crime. I am white--even though I don't have children in the school system, I pay school taxes for Dougherty County. In my book that makes this a crime on everyone. Period. What this woman did is break the law. What the school board is doing by delaying any action against her is criminal. Lets face it, the Dougherty County School Board is a den of thieves--and the rest of us are those who are getting robbed.

Abytaxpayer 2 years, 3 months ago

coachjohnson42 2 years, 3 months ago

First off ABYTAXDUDE, I do care about the future of our children here in Albany and SW Georgia. I pay taxes just like you so stop blowing your head up like that is such a big deal. There are criminals all around Georgia and people break the law daily. Your problem is that you have "selective anger". No one mentioned race in the BLOG except you. You told on yourself and showed your true colors. There is one obvious reason why you have so much anger directed towards the DCSS, and I dont even need to mention it because we all know what it is. I repeat I am "bored" with this story because of the "blood suckers" who are after these people. You dont care about these children. You probably dont even have children in the DCSS. You just dont like who is in charge. Tell the real truth TAXDUDE!! These people who have broken the law will be charged and will have their day in court. Thats all the system can do so give it a rest. Justice is coming... so calm down! Thats what adults do!!!

Abytaxpayer 2 years, 3 months ago

Abytaxpayer 2 years, 3 months ago

Coach I did not raise a issue of paying school board taxes DUDE! It is obvious you failed to read my post to Flunky so I will repost it for you. For you to say I do not like who is in charge is correct for you to imply it is ONLY because of their skin color is just showing your stupidity and desire to make this a race issue. The fact is I don’t care what the skin color is, but I do care what their qualifications are regardless of skin color, while you only defend them because of their skin color and try to deflect attention from them by claiming there are criminals all around Georgia not just on DCSS. You of all people should be outraged at the leadership of DCSS but your true concerns are shown clearly as race over qualifications while I want the best qualifications regardless of race. My "selective anger" is with people like you who refuse to think beyond race on issues like DCSS. YOUR Apathy is your biggest enemy and not some white guy speaking up for a better tomorrow for our children. Wake up!!!!.................... Following is the repost read carefully it will sting!!!!........ Flunky you are correct . The thief of lunch money is a crime against everyone, to include taxpayers and the people who legitimately depend on the government for support. Sorry I was a little confusing by running the thief of lunch money and Apathy together while on my soapbox. Apathy with the school board is prevalent with the Black community while they condemn anyone else that speaks up as trying to “Get the Blacks.” Unfortunately it is the lazy, indifferent, uninformed blind followers who are doing the real damage to their own children. Coach of all people knows what a good education could mean to the youth of Albany but his Apathy is so strong he is content to see the children’s future stolen because to speak up would require a little effort and backbone. Coach should be saying “What would MLK do?” instead he gets bored. So many people speak of honoring DR. Martin Luther King’s legacy yet they allow Apathy to consume them. MLK worked for a BETTER Tomorrow. Instead of striving to be a role model in the likeness of MLK folks like Coach sit ideally by being bored and watching that future crumble. Coach should be saying “What would MLK do?” instead he gets bored. What a honor to MLK!.......MLK had the backbone and made the effort for what he believed in… Where would America be today if he had the Apathy that consumes so many today? So Coach DUDE sit quietly being bored and watch your people bleed to death at their own hands and keep playing your one card….MLK worked so you could sit and be bored what are you doing for the next generation?

coachjohnson42 2 years, 2 months ago

What a bunch mumbo jumbo?....you are all over the place and you cant even make a complete thought. What in the world did MLK have to do with this? What does my boredom of this tired dead issue have to do with your selective anger? I have no apathy and could care less about the DCSS and its problems. I simply state the obvious to keep these biased comments balanced. For example, if you want the correct news, you cant just watch FOX all day.....you must watch CNN or MSNBC to get some balance. Thats what I do....provide balance.....just for fun...But, frankly Scarlet....... .I sometimes speak up for the other side because nobody is brave enough to do so. Its easy to pile on somebody when they are down. Terry Lewis is slick enough to feed you guys a bone every now and then to sell papers.....and keep the fire hot......I do the same thing BUBBA.....and you fall for it everytime!!! hahahahaha

Abytaxpayer 2 years, 2 months ago

Coach sorry your reply is hidden to my post just above, hope everyone clicks on it to read it. You ask what MLK has to do with this. MLK fought for a “BETTER Tomorrow” and believed Education was the best way to get there. I was Challenging You to THINK more like MLK. …..You claim “this is a tired dead issue” and yet it is still alive and has not even made it to court yet. You’re just tired of hearing about it and wish it would die. …..But BEST of all your commits was “I have no apathy and could care less about the DCSS and its problems.” Since Apathy is a big word for you, I will give you the definition. Apathy is a state of indifference, or the suppression of emotions such as CONCERN, excitement, motivation and passion. So if you “could care less” then YOU are the poster child for Apathy…… Then your claim “I simply state the obvious to keep these biased comments balanced.” Well to be balanced you must have a full deck and sadly it is OBVIOUS you only have ONE card to play….So drop the Name calling trying to belittle people and present honest opinions not just race-baiting…… Again I challenge you to be more like MLK and become a role model and fight for a better education for our youth at least teach them the meaning of APATHY. MLK would be so proud that you “could care less” what a legacy for MLK you are. ……APATHY

whattheheck 2 years, 3 months ago

Terry, keep feeding us those bones! Perhaps we can disassemble the DCSS skeleton.

Amazed2 2 years, 3 months ago

Guess the DCSS never heard of FEDERAL EXPRESS or how about putting one of those real busy DCSS Police Officers that retired out from the City Department and mans the DCSS Building Front Desk into a car and actually deliver the report to Joe Mullholland. Maybe though they are still trying to figure out the copy machine. Guess I can't see how they could not have the report and all the facts ready since they must have had it together to arrest Velvet Riggins. Starting to sound like somebody like James Bush is dragging this out for some reason????????????????

rorschach 2 years, 3 months ago

No one other than the appropriate law enforcement official can effect the time which a police report can be released to the prosecutor. No one on the school board has that authority. I would guess that the police investigation has not concluded, therefore the report would not be finalized. The special prosecutor has the authority to charge anyone that delays the report with obstruction.

Terry.Lewis 2 years, 3 months ago

Actually a large part of the problem is just getting in touch with Joe Mullholland. The man covers a large judicial circuit and seems to dislike returning phone calls. All this cannot be placed at the feet of the DCSS police. I should have included his bit of information in the story, but overlooked it.

Justice4Moma 2 years, 2 months ago

The police have to have time to type all the reports up,and then have it proof read by the higher ups to make sure it was as they want it.And if not go back and make changes. I have had my time with getting reports from them.And even went as far as getting some reports,then waiting a month or so,going back and asking for the same reports,and it be changed,or all of it not being there. Our Cops,and we have some damn good ones,work to do there Jobs.Then they have to answer to there BOSS.If it is not to the Boss's liking,then there will be a hold up to rewrite it,to suit the purpose. I do not trust the Justice System here,and i have good reason!It is because we dont have a Justice System here,we have a "GOOD OLE BOY SYSTEM"It works to there best intrest.Joe is going to have his hands full with the School System.I just hope that with him,we do get some Justice.Right now all we have are a bunch of bullies running this town.It did not stop when Alfred left,and it did not stop when willie left.It is still alive and kicking in Albany.Just wait and see. A Good Justice System is built on trust,honesty,and holding up to the Oath you take for the Job.If you can not do your Job because one of your Friends are maybe subject to investgations,then you dont need that Job.You Work for US,The People Of Albany,not your friends.And if you cant do that,then why even run for that Job.?Right is right,and WRONG is wrong.There are Laws,for everyone to follow.If you break them Laws no matter who you are,you should take whats comming to you.You can not always put stuff on the Police Dept.These men and women work hard for what money they get.But they 2 have a Boss they have to answer to.Why do you think we are losing good police men and women?

reb_arty1863 2 years, 2 months ago

Ole coachy poo is yawnin because you just ate his lunch taxpayer. Keep it up. As for MLK...... Bill Clinton and Monica could not hang with him.

coachjohnson42 2 years, 2 months ago

TAXDUDE is a radical who is all over the place with random wild points. He makes little sense.

Abytaxpayer 2 years, 2 months ago

Coach I know your trying to slur me but I accept being a Radical to you. Radical : One who advocates fundamental changes in current practices, conditions, or institutions: Now just accept you are Apathetic. O sorry you already did say “I could care less about the DCSS and its problems.”..... Apathy!!! Hey Coach “Here’s Your Sign”

Abytaxpayer 2 years, 2 months ago

Coach is just one of the people in Albany who tries to keep the Race fires HOT by ALWAYS looking at race first then the facts. If the people of Albany would seriously look at the qualifications of the DCSS board and Supervisor and be honest, then we could All work together to find qualified people. There are many people black and white in Albany that are qualified. But qualifications don’t matter to so many voters. Mayor Hubbard is a prime example she is a Retired teacher who ran for the DCSS board and was rejected by her own constituents but when given the opportunity to run for Mayor in a City Wide election she won. That means informed whites as well as blacks voted for her. Whites will support a black qualified DCSS board member based on his or her qualifications. But it is the lazy, indifferent, uninformed blind followers like Coach who will continue to elect and settle for the kind of mess we have now. Apathy is the now the biggest supporter of DCSS. Just ask Coach, he will proudly tell you “I have no apathy and could care less about the DCSS and its problems.”

Jacob 2 years, 2 months ago

OK, OK, you've totally owned the coach. He carried a knife to gun fight and lost. You can stop shooting him now. He once again proved his ignorance.

Abytaxpayer 2 years, 2 months ago

Point taken! My apologies to you and other informed readers.

Outtahere 2 years, 2 months ago

Here's a little support - if it helps - I think you presented your points very clearly and the Coach is just reaching for anything to make you look bad. He sounds pretty desperate for something bad to say about you! Anyway, no need to waste your valid points on someone who just doesn't get it. Maybe he isn't so bad, I mean he did agree with the suggestions that Bubba made. Hopefully, progress will be made.

coachjohnson42 2 years, 2 months ago

If you think what he said has any relevance then you need a true education yourself. The TAXDUDE was all over the place with wild random points that made little sense. My reply(which is hidden) totally owned his one-sided tea-party good-ole boy out-cry for help.. He will always lose when he tries me because his points are all over the place. He cant stick to the topic. Thats why he is trying so hard to make a come-back. the score is Coach 4, TAX DUDE 0. Anyone who is that proud of paying taxes is a loser anyway. We all pay taxes. Thats like celebrating the fact that we all got dressed and came to work...Whoo-Pee!! Big deal......Try again---TAXDUDE

Abytaxpayer 2 years, 2 months ago

Like the old tv show Coach “Here’s Your Sign”

bubbasmithredneck 2 years, 2 months ago

I agree with coachjohnson. He is right. (and very funny). This old story is hogging up the news and is very boring. We are tired of hearing about this dyfunctional system. The "TAXDUDE" as coachjohnson refers to him is so busy trying to get "one up" on coach until he is not making sense. Its best you you guys just leave it alone because nobody is gonna win in the end. The kids lose, The teachers lose, the parents lose, and the city of albany loses.....this is the worst DCSS has ever been.We need to be focused on restoring PRIDE to Dougherty County and not attacking each other. When I graduated from this system many many years ago, we had a lot PRIDE and INTEGRITY and nobody would ridicule our system like this without getting a good old fashion butt-whippin.

Abytaxpayer 2 years, 2 months ago

Bubba please say you'r not one for letting the situation die and be swept under the rug. I am guessing not, by your last sentence . I too am a old graduate of AHS and we did whip everyone else back then. So I have some basis for fighting to return DCSS to a higher level of education. If you have read my past months post you would see I have repeatedly called for ALL the people of Albany to make a stand for the future of the Children. Coach has repeatedly attached me stooping even to name calling and not once has he ever suggested any positive way to improve the school system while I repeatedly call for people to get off their sofas and become involved. While you and others may find the many fiascos of DCSS boring and just want to leave it alone, then who is to blame for the lack of Pride and Integrity and the thief of the children’s future? DCSS will never improve unless you pay attention and get off the sofa!

bubbasmithredneck 2 years, 2 months ago

Ok, instead of attacking each other, why dont both of you offer some advice on fixing this big mess. I'm off the sofa and I have 3 suggestions to fix it. I am a big fan of my former teachers from the 1980's so here goes my spill..... 1) Replace the board members with retired educators from the 1980's who actually taught school in the DCSS who have some PRIDE and a vested interest in our system. 2) Replace the Superintendent, and his cabinet with retired teachers from 1980's who actually ran a public school as a Principal or Assistant Principal with at least 3 years of experience. Preferrably, coming from this system because at least they would have a sense of PRIDE and belonged-ness (if thats a word).... 3) Hire young new fresh teachers after training them with (guess who?).......teachers from the DCSS 1980's!!! Dont just send them to the classroom straight outta college. They need 'on the job' training.........from guess who????

Abytaxpayer 2 years, 2 months ago

Bubba thank you for your reply. You have made VERY good suggestions which I support . My reference to getting off the sofa was meaning if we can get the people of Albany to attend school board meetings and have real discussions as to who is Qualified to lead our kids and stop just sitting on the sofa moaning and blaming others. I have been accused of being a hater because of race, while I could careless what race or color a person is as long as they are Qualified and have a sense of Integrity, Honesty and Pride which will by example be passed on to the children. The Children are the future (good or bad) of Albany.

coachjohnson42 2 years, 2 months ago

GREAT POST ... and I agree with you BUBBA. We need to offer some advice of correcting the problems of DCSS and restore some PRIDE once again. I agree with all three of your suggestions but I have a question. How are you going to get rid of all these people without the help of the voters? Everyone needs to be on the same page about who we want on the board. Most people here have their minds set on who they want on the board without considering the future of our children. I think the city needs to have a town hall meeting before election time and come up with list of better qualified candidates from each district who have an educational background. ALL districts need to come together and publicly promote the new "better qualified" candidates before the next election.Otherwise, the next election will turn into a popularity contest again and our children will lose in the end.

Albanite 2 years, 2 months ago

Robert Lloyd should not be employed by DCSS. We'll find that once he's gone most of DCSS's problems go with him.

bubbasmithredneck 2 years, 2 months ago

Is there anybody on the Superintendents cabinet/central office that is a DCSS graduate? Thats one problem altogether...these people may not have the SCHOOL PRIDE needed to push this system forward. Meaning- they dont care cause it aint their alma mater.