Squawk of the day - Jan. 16, 2012

"Dawson — bad owners, not breeds, make dangerous dogs."

Squawk of the day - Jan. 16, 2012

Comments

LuLu 2 years, 10 months ago

Tell that to the one-year-old baby who was mauled to death by his family's sweet, lovable pitbull in Texas on Saturday. Just as thug mamas will defend their thug sons, all pitbull owners claim that their dogs are sweet babies, too -- until they maul someone to death, then they switch to denial mode. I don't find anything wrong with having special restrictions on these dogs, such as a large fenced yard (NOT a cage and/or chain) and a large insurance policy. People who want to own pits for whatever reason need to be made aware just how dangerous their pet of choice can be, and be financially prepared to pay for whatever their little munchkin destroys, including medical bills and funeral expenses.

FlunkyMonkey 2 years, 10 months ago

ANY dog has the potential to be vicious. When my son was a baby, he was mauled by a cocker spaniel. The wounds to his head required medical treatment and he still bears the scars. After the mauling, I found out that he had attacked two other children before biting mine. Two weeks after he attacked my son, he was at a family reunion around other children. The family taught this dog to be mean simply by picking at him just to get him to growl or bark. Don't blame the dog or the breed. Blame the owners. Oh, by the way, when my son was bit, he was 11 months old. The family blamed my son for touching him. Even when they had to give the dog up and took him to the humane society, the did not tell them that he had a history of biting. The dog was euthanized only after I called and told them to check it out. Whose fault was it that my child was attacked? THE OWNERS

bubbavet 2 years, 10 months ago

WHERE WERE YOU? YOU SOUND LIKE NONE OF IT WAS YOUR FAULT. ALL DOGS BITE AND ALL CATS SCRATCH..PARENTS BEWARE!! DUH!!

FlunkyMonkey 2 years, 10 months ago

I was THREE FEET from my baby when that damned dog attacked him!! It took less than two seconds for that dog to attack--two seconds. That dog was supposed to be a family pet. The family made him vicious. And failed to tell anyone EVEN THE HUMANE SOCIETY when they turned him in, that the dog had bit CHILDREN. THREE F** FEET!

FlunkyMonkey 2 years, 10 months ago

Oh, one more thing. Had I known about the dog's history, my child would NEVER have been around it. The Owners failed on two fronts. They made him vicious and then failed to notify ANYONE (even family) about the dog's history. Next time you want to condemn someone, get all the facts first--

budcollier1956 2 years, 10 months ago

Perhaps the same perspective can be applied to the humans as well as dogs. Although I have seen a good pulp run to join a mangy pack of strays. Point is, there is never a simple reason or solution to problems of human nature or dog nature as well, breeding, discipline, bad environment, bad health or just pissed off for the day. Sometimes the best you can do is for everyone to remember a dog is a dog. If you choose to have one (dog or human), pet his head or clean his poop, you are held responsible and accountible for both ends. So sorry for you child's injury.

waltspecht 2 years, 10 months ago

I think we need to require the same thing of Parents. Especially those that allow their chlidren to drive. It is a proven fact that young drivers are the most dangerous, so I believe we should force them to carry $1,000,000,000 in liability. Plus make the parents responsible for knowing where their children are at all times. If their children are picked up, a fee of $1,500 should be assessed each time. Probably home detention if they are found loose more than once. We won't talk mandatory spay and neuter at this time. I post this tounge in cheek, but it's the parents or the owners that produce the finished product we see and deal with.

Susan123 2 years, 10 months ago

Well Said!! I couldn't agree more!

Susan123 2 years, 10 months ago

@LuLu - I disagree with almost your entire statement. And, No, I do not own a pit bull. I do, however, own 2 Labs. If there is going to be a requirement for owner's of pit bulls to need large insurance policies, then owners of all dogs should be required to have them. Any dog has the ability to attack. Even a chihuahua and a poodle. They might not be as likely to kill someone as a pit bull, but what about German Shepherds, Dobermans, Collies, Hounds, Golden Retrievers, and even my precious Labs? They can do just as much damage as a bit bull. A dog's attitude is 90% determined by it's owner. If it is properly raised and trained, then the chances of it being vicious are pretty slim. I understand that sometimes it doesn't matter how much love and attention you give, and how many hours you spend training them, there will always be one that is just mean. But that needs to be dealt with individually. Don't punish the entire breed for it.

As for your fence statement. That is the only thing I somewhat agree with. But not just for pit bulls, but all dogs. It absolutely infuriates me to see a dog chained up all day or stuck in a very small pen. That is a horrible way to live life, even for a dog! If you wouldn't put your children in that situation, don't put your dog in it! I understand for short (and I mean VERY short) periods of time it is necessary. But for several hours is ridiculous! But a large fenced area is wonderful. Not just for people's safety, but for the dogs. If they are in the fence, they can't be in the road and get run over.

@waltspecht - Well Said!!

FlunkyMonkey 2 years, 10 months ago

BRAVO!! I have a shepherd mix. Our back yard is large and fenced in. Our dog can get out and run to his heart's content, or lay in the sun, or whatever he wants to do. We have it posted with beware of dogs signs. I don't know if he would bite, but I want my visitors to understand that he has VERY LARGE teeth and the possibility exists for him to bite if he feels threatened. If we have company, I put him in a bedroom until they leave. He doesn't like it the first few minutes but he wears himself out and goes to sleep. He is not allowed around children unless the fence is between him and the kids. I take all the precautions possible to protect him from my guests and my guests from him. owning a dog is a big responsibility--to every person who will come into contact with the animal.

KaosinAlbany 2 years, 10 months ago

I blame inbreeding for the loose wiring in some dogs that attack.

Jacob 2 years, 10 months ago

And I blame it for the loose wiring in the average pit bull owner...

Cartman 2 years, 10 months ago

I believe that it is micro-management for the government to dictate such things as what dog breeds are allowable. This nation made it over 200 years without such regulations. Unfortunately, tragedies happen. What's next? Are we going to cut down all trees over 3 feet tall if a child falls out of one? We have gotten to the point where legislators at all levels, feel as if they have to pass some kind of law in knee-jerk reaction to a tragedy in order to prove to the public that they are doing something. Then we are stuck with the unintended consequences. We also seem to have evolved into a society that jumps to blame someone - anyone. Often it is the parents. Parents cannot hold their child in their arms for the first eighteen years of their life. Get real people. That's my two cents.